Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose it's just arms dealing because we can't really improve the quality of, like, jewelry items or gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Glazius posted:

I suppose it's just arms dealing because we can't really improve the quality of, like, jewelry items or gems.

If only you could hit an emerald with a hammer and turn it into 2 1% emeralds instead

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted over the past few weeks. I got a promotion at work May 1st, which has resulted in somewhat longer hours at my job as I get used to the new responsibilities. However, I have this weekend to myself! I see we are on a new page, and so I am In process of writing up a new update now.

Also, it turns out that doing things out of order may present a slight problem as far story-telling goes. I had played on my own not taking screenshots to finish up the chapter and refresh myself on the process, and so some things may be a little confusing. But I'll either link back where I can or catch folks up.

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

Update 47: Seigneur James and Mystery of the Dead Man's Hand (Part 1)

That's right. This time we finally make it to (the outskirts of) Sethanon.

I'm sure it can't be as haunted and horrible as everybody says it is, right? :ghost:

Anyway, we do pass through Lyton first. Let's check in with our buddy, Lord Lyton!

Do a guy a favor and get him a bunch of crappy kingdom armor and now he won't even give us the time of day? What a jerk. :mad:

As we continue to head west towards Sethanon, we pass by a couple of farms.

How quaint. Of course, we poke our noses into everything so let's check it out.

I... what?

Quegian pirate indicates singular, not multiple, game! :argh:

:pirate: "Yar.. counting not be me strong suit."

Steelfire is one of Owyn's spells that basically acts as a naphtha potion.

That meaning that it will let the swords do extra-damage and you'll see awesome pixelated blood splatter when you strike successfully strike somebody.

:getin:

I believe I've mentioned it before but James has really come into his own now as he very neatly murderates this guy.

We made it past pirate ambush. I bet there is a ton of cool pirate booty in the house! :haw:

Curse you, game! :doom:

Pressing on further we pass yet another farm. Maybe this one is more promising though?

Ahhhhh! :argh:

Turns out that the person we are looking for isn't in his house, but is in the field.

There is no way to know this without randomly exploring though.

"Probably wouldn't, but this seems like such a nice lot to give up. Why would you want to?"

"Everybody knows that something evil happened at the Battle ofSethanon, definitely unnatural. Me myself, I used to live in the center of town before King Lyam offered up money that I should leave. I didn't think much of leaving, but I thought that the evil would stay here."

"And it has't? It's creeping down the road from Sethanon?"

"Listen boy, I don't care for your attitude. You may be all educated, but it don't mean you know nothing about the world. If you're wise you'll stay away from Sethanon and take anybody else that'll go with you. There's soemthing evil hereabouts and I don't want to be about when at least it gets here."

"So, how much do you want for your land?"

"I... uh... what?"

"If this evil is so imminent and you're anxious to be away from it, I'd be interested in buying this little lot of yours.I'm not afraid of ghosts. What will you sell it to me for?"

"Well I haven't actually decided to make the move as yet... Don't want to get the cart before the horse you know...It'll likely be a while before I sell, see...Don't want to rush it."

"Do you know anything about the land that adjoins yours by chance? Is it for sale?"

"Uh, no. Not anymore. I bought it when old widow Petrumh moved out..."

"Bought it? I thought you said you wished to move?"

"I do and...Look, I haven't time to stand about talking all day. If you're interested in the land go ahead and look around---just stay clear of my stead. now, I got things to do. Good day."

"But...

"I said good day, sir!" :mad:

"Good day to you, sir."

It turns out that Max Feeber is kind of a shady character. No doubt he is hiding something.

(Incidentialy, I did check the barn. But in Chapter 3 it is empty. More on that later...)

Past Max's farm are the outskirts of Sethanon.

Thanks grandpa. Those were great stories. :tootzzz:

The brown shop is closed but not because it is abandoned. I wonder who this Nia is?
We'll go across the street to the tavern to check it out.

We keep on seeing the same people. I like to think that they are just following us from tavern to tavern. :)

Oooh! We can talk to this lady!
C'mon James, you can do it, put on your man charms. ;)

"I know what I'm doing. Stop pressuring me."

:doh:

"Oh...oh, sorry. I was thinking you were stopping in to buy something from my goods store across the road. since my father's death I've had the run of these two places, the tavern here and the goods store across the way. you know, I've had folks in here, four a week by last count, all offering money for a sword made by a hermit up North. Fool that I am, I sent the word out, but that was before things started happening in my store. I've since closed up things for a bit."

"Closed your store? Why? What sorts of things were going on in there?"

"You'll think I'm foolish. I think I'm foolish."

"You're a moron!" :haw:

"I'm talking to the lady. Shut it, boy!"

"Tell my and I'll listen. If I laugh once, even once, you may upend a cask of ale over my head."

"You'll pay for the cask I if I do... All right then. I'll tell you. In the past few weeks, I've seen a man prowling about in my shop."

"That's easy enough. Between companions and myself, we can get rid of your prowler by dinner time tomorrow."

"Can you now? You run through ghosts as easy as that. Poleax poltergeists in your spare time?"

"Ghosts? This prowler of yours is a ghost?"

"Like, did you say G-G-Ghosts?"

"Oooohh noooooo!"

"Told you that you wouldn't believe me. I'll put it to you though. If you can find a way to put the ghost in my shop to rest, then I'll reopen my shop and give you the Galon Griefmaker that I bought from the hermit. Simple as that."

"That offer is nearly as attractive as the woman delivering it. Thank you, fair lady."

"Or should I say... m'lady?" :razz:

:frogout:

"Well gang, looks like we have another mystery on our hands."

"But James, how are we going to put a ghost to rest? Where do we look first?"

"What are you talking about? We regularly slay ghosts all the time. I say we break into Nia's shop and forcibly put to rest whatever spirit is prowling around.

"No, that's a dumb and stupid idea. Just what I'd expect from you."

:saddowns:

"Think about it. A ghost is disturbing the shop. It isn't going to do that for no reason. In the past the way that we've disturbed the unquiet spirits of the deceased is by digging up their graves! So, where do you think we should check first to see if a ghost has been disturbed?"

"Ramburger romp?"

"Like, the back of our van?"

"The graveyard, of course!"

:cry:

"Wait... why are we doing this, again?"

"Yes, this one. Dig up this one."

"I'm pretty sure that is the gravestone of Nia's dead father. You know, the woman you were flirting with."

"You know what they say. The way to a girl's heart is to dig up her father. I heard that somewhere. Now get digging."

"No."

"Would you do it for a scooby snack?"

"No."

"Oh. Nevermind then."

Gross.

:derp:

So, we have a ghost and the deceased owner is missing a hand. This reminds me of something we were told... by somebody... somewhere, like, months ago.

Nivek posted:

"Why don't you tell us a little more about this Max Feeber character?"

"NAHnahnahnahh...that's bori---UHRUP--ng... let's talk about the last year. Did ya know that for every cow in Midkemia, we get a golden sovereigns a year alone just for their manure... Did ya know that? BETCHA didn't! An for every duck..."

"Max Feeber. I want to know about Max Feeber."

"Dokay. Moxie Flipper. Ahm, I know that gee was tryging to buy up some of the propurtee left in Sethanon a few years back from Jared Lycrow but Jared wouldn't sell to no one, so Moxie co--AHRUP---cooked up this idea... Sure you don't want to hear about the ducks?"

"No. Just tell us about Max. What did he do?"

"Ee gots him selk a shovel and dug---ARRGHA---to try to skeer Jared. Corse Jared wasn't skeered of nuthin but it shore fri-teened---UHRUP---Nia..."

"What was he digging up?"

:barf:

We tie this bit of information in with...

Lysle posted:

"You'll probably find this a bit distasteful, but...I was going to dig up somebody from the Sethanon graveyard and just borrow a hand. Since that part of the world has been deserted for quite some time, I thought it would be my best bet to find what I needed without getting caught."

"Fortunately, some old ghoul saved me the trouble. I have no idea what this fellow was up to with the corpse, but he was dragging it through this field like he was headed to the graveyard. At one point he apparently got tired or thirsty and left the body for a bit and I went over to liberate this dead man of his hand, but before I could finish, the old man came back. Since I nearly had the hand off, I came back the next day to see if it had wiggled loose in the transport..."

"Old man Feeber! I knew it! But first, let's go talk to Hershel again..."

What, why?

"Meh, something tells me that we have to."

We were literally just here an hour or so ago, and now he recognizes you?

Okay gang, so at this point Hersel has obviously confused James for (you guessed it) his possible twin/brother/cousin, who as the previous memory dialogue indicates, was generally being just as creepy as Feeber and stole poor Jared's hand.

Back to Feeber's farm we go.

Finally, pirate treasure! :yarr:

That's not pirate treasure! :gonk:

This is horrible. Let's confront Feeber.

"I mean, the three of us found a burial cloth and we think you have something to do with all this evil that is going on around here. You've been desecrating graves haven't you?"

"You broke into my house! I'll tell the constable for this!"

"If he were still living in town I might feel threatened, but rather imagine you've already managed to scare him off. now talk, or I'm going to have a cozy little chat with a friend of mine named Nivek---Prince Arutha's tax collector---Nice fellow. Think the two of you will get along marvelously."

: "One grave! One grave only, I dug up. I don't remember the fellow's name now, but he used to own the Six Toe Tavern before Nia took over the shop. I thought that maybe I could scare her into moving out and selling to me but she's too darn stubborn."

"What did you do the with corpse?"

"No corpse about him! He was down to his skeleton. I tried to rebury him but I never found one of his hands. It's bound to be near the graveyard. I think I may have dropped it when I was near old Hershel's house..."

"What else?"

"That's it. That's all I know! honest. Dug him up and then I reburied him."

"We'll need to find that hand then and bury it. No thanks to you. Good bye sir and I would advise that you stay away from the Six Toe Tavern from now on. I doubt you will be warmly greeted."

That does it for this update. Mystery status? About half-solved. Now we just need to find the hand.

Snugglecakes fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 18, 2015

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I remember the foreword for the book version is basically Feist going: "So I had to cut some parts. Mainly this meant I cut all the loving sidequests out. James and Owyn going on a quest for beer would not have made for epic reading." Kind of a shame, means we miss out on all the graverobbing.

Also for mystery-solving: I guess Gorath would be Scooby, James would be Velma and Owyn would be Shaggy.

EDIT: I seem to remember you can buy Hands of Glory in some stores in the game, as components for a certain spell... I have to wonder if the quest item for this particular quest is literally just A Hand of Glory, and we can go buy one, or whether it's a SPECIFIC hand, and we have to find this particular one.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

I remember the foreword for the book version is basically Feist going: "So I had to cut some parts. Mainly this meant I cut all the loving sidequests out. James and Owyn going on a quest for beer would not have made for epic reading." Kind of a shame, means we miss out on all the graverobbing.

The worst part was that by virtue of only having text passages for important scenes, Betrayal at Krondor felt much more like Feist's classic books than the Krondor: The Betrayal novelization did. Feist may have cut the sidequests, but you had action scenes that felt like "and then Locklear took his turn, and then Gorath took his turn, and then---" and another that pretty much said "Owyn leveled up! Owyn learned a new spell! Owyn learned Fetters of Rime!" Et cetera.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Snugglecakes posted:

"Think about it. A ghost is disturbing the shop. It isn't going to do that for no reason. In the past the way that we've disturbed the unquiet spirits of the deceased is by digging up their graves! So, where do you think we should check first to see if a ghost has been disturbed?"

"Ramburger romp?"

"Like, the back of our van?"

"The graveyard, of course!"

:cry:
Aw, there's never an excuse to go looking for clues at the hamburger shop :( Except for that one episode of the spin-off show where they're all little kids and they were trying to solve the mystery of the Burger Monster.

Man, how long has it been since I've seen that show?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
"While digging up graves, we came across some evidence that you've been digging up graves! What kind of monster are you?!" :rolleyes:

Snugglecakes posted:

"Can you now? You run through ghosts as easy as that. Poleax poltergeists in your space time?"

While I like the idea of time-traveling ghostbusters, this should probably be "spare time".

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

"While digging up graves, we came across some evidence that you've been digging up graves! What kind of monster are you?!" :rolleyes:

While I like the idea of time-traveling ghostbusters, this should probably be "spare time".

Hah! Thanks, fixed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I liked the explanation you put in there. Needed some CSI music for full effect but I appreciate that kind of trail-showing dedication.

• Locked thread