Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Rockopolis posted:

I forget, did you ever show off the cheat chest?

Not yet, but I will.

Glazius posted:

Did Owyn just pick up an antidote to being frozen, or whatever happened to him in that fight? Because seriously, ow.

Unless they are poisoned or disease (or near death) :v: the spells cast on characters don't continue after the fights. In the case of the fight with Nago, our buddy Owyn was frozen by Nago's spell and then stabbed several times before almost dying. Normally this requires health potions or several days of resting and using herbs, but in this case, I simply paid the temple of Sung to recover his full health, since that was what one of the quest rewards was.

radintorov posted:

It's nice to see that the LP was not abandoned, although I only found the new thread today. :downs:
Something I've been meaning to post in the previous thread but didn't, since it would have spoiled the ending sequence for Chapter 1 somewhat, is an interview with Neal Hallford about Betrayal at Krondor and a bit about both Dynamix and Sierra-On-Line.
Since we are now past that sequence, I'll share it here for those interested :) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pvqtb4MOu8.

Thanks for posting this. I read the PM you sent me back in May about this, but hadn't had a chance to listen to the interview. (And at the time I wasn't sure if I would continue the LP) Interesting to see a bit of what was going on behind the scenes and why we didn't get a real proper sequel to BaK.

Snugglecakes fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Glad to see this LP alive.

And if you're still taking votes, mine goes to the direct route.

dresq
Jan 28, 2012

So... do you have many friends who aren't involved in crime?
The scenic route is the only route. :getin:

Also, thanks for LPing this game. Major nostalgia.

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

Update 23: Roads just ain't safe anymore

Going the scenic route wins out.

Last time we ended things just south of Sarth. Since Brother Marc is a good resource when it comes to information, as well as spells, we'll pop on by to say hello. Maybe we'll somehow be able to give him alcohol poisoning in exchange for quest hooks?

Hammy fists? :raise:

"If he has aches at his age then imagine what complaints he shall have at mine! He shall have to be carried everywhere he goes!"

"He practices to be the Emperor of Kesh, no doubt."

"Guys, I'm standing right here." :sigh:

"So what question will you now pose of Sarth, travelling friends?"

MAGIC

"Actually, I was hoping you might be able to dig up something on magic, a scroll perhaps."

"There was a scroll I was cataloging the other day that might be of interest to you. It was titled as Skyfire I believe. I can go and dig it up for you, for a reasonable finder's fee of 100 sovereigns. Shall I run and find it?"

YES PLEASE

"Agreed. Should we wait here or..."

"Brother Anthony doesn't like to have too many people in the Vaults at the same time. It disturbs those who are cataloging and scribing. I will only be a short while."

They waited.

When at last it seemed the priest was never going to return, he appeared waddling down the hillside, a beribboned parchment missive stuffed beneath one of his arms. Collecting the money owed him from Owyn, he cheerfully handed over the scroll.

NIGHTHAWKS

"Would you have anything up in the Abbey about the Guild of Death? As I recall from when I visited your abbey years ago, your collection of books was quite extensive. I wanted to find out how it is that some of them become Black Slayers."

"No need to search the vaults. Many of them worship Kahooli, who, occasionally, will grant them a near-deathless state in exchange for total dedication to the god of revenge. It took us a long while to learn the spells that keep a Nighthawk from rising from death."

"There is a spell? We thought you had to hack the body up and burn it to bits."

"An unpleasant solution, and time consuming. After the Great Rising was over and the moredhel went home, we were able to work with the priests of Lims-Kragma to create a spell to keep a Nighthawk from becoming a Black Slayer or to keep a Black Slayer down once he was slain. If you would like, I can probably dig the spell up in the Vaults. Are you interested? There will be a hundred sovereign fee."

OKAY YOU TALKED ME INTO IT, YES!

"Considering I may be running into the Guild of Death soon, I think it would be a wise investment."

"I will be as quick as possible. Please wait here."

They waited.

When at last it seemed the priest was never going to return, he appeared waddling down the hillside, a beribboned parchment missive stuffed beneath one of his arms. Collecting the money owed him from James, he cheerfully handed over the scroll.

BYE NOW

"Seems we at least have a few things to think about. Thank you, Brother Marc."

"Always a pleasure to help. Come back and visit me again." :hampants:

"Perhaps we will. Goodbye!"

Couple of spells come from this conversation. We now have Final Rest, which we can use on Black Slayers to make sure that they stay dead. I might never use the spell though, save to demonstrate it. Why is that? Well, the trick with Black Slayers is that when you kill them, they'll stay down for a little while, and then rise again to keep on fighting you. If you are facing a bunch of them (and I'm not sure if you ever face more then three at a time in the game), then it could help to keep them down.

If not, then it's a waste of a spell. That, and the ones you cast final rest on disappear, so you miss out on the sweet, sweet loot they sometimes have in hand.

The second spell is redundant since I found a copy in the sewers. It is skyfire, and it is pretty good. You can cast it on any enemy wearing or using metal and it summons lightning from the heavens to strike them. Always consistent with damage (an even 40) and will always hit. The downside being that some enemies, such as trolls (:argh:) don't use metal, so it doesn't hurt them at all.

In fact, not too much farther north of Sarth, we encounter trouble. :ohdear:

I feel justified in using skyfire here, since we are outnumbered.

The cost is 12 health/stamina, which isn't too bad. It does add up, so if you continue to spam the spell, Owyn will get weaker and weaker.

The effect is pretty dramatic.

:supaburn:

In fact, it is enough to one shot the pirate!

We don't want the others to miss out on horrible burning sensations, so Gorath fires a fire arrow at the pirate standing closest to him.

:gibs:

If this was a normal arrow it probably wouldn't have taken out the enemy, but since this one was on fire, it does just enough to take down the enemy in one shot.

Our heroes mop up the rest of the enemy. No sweat at all.

:cry:

No other problems as we reach Questor's View.

This is Tad Questor's house. We met him briefly in the first chapter. He offers melee training to our heroes, and while I could have taken him on that offer, I purposefully declined it, as I'd rather James get the benefit of the training over Locklear.

Of course, learning to hit stuff better is always a good way to spend your hard earned murder money. Circle of life, and all that.

I even remembered to tag only the melee skill so that would increase the most for them. As you can see, Gorath is practically a murder machine, and it is only the beginning of the second chapter!

The next stop for us on this scenic journey is LaMut.

Enemies generally don't respawn in the game, so you don't have to pay too much attention if you have to backtrack once you've cleared out an area. However, between chapters new enemies are sometimes placed in. I was traveling in mapmode so I didn't see this assassin at all.

"Hmm.. this nighthawk looks a bit different from the other ones."

:zombie:

"Oh Gods! Kill it with fire!"

"It was dead before! Should I cast the Final Rest spell on it?"

"Nah, we can only do that in combat. Not much point in doing it now."

"But it could rise up again and attack us!" :ohdear:

"We'll be long gone by the time it does."

There wasn't much to the Black Slayer fight. If there was more then one of them, perhaps I could have shown off their gimmick, but by themselves, they aren't any different then a Nighthawk, and in a solo fight, once it dies, it remains dead. This particular nighthawk has a little bit of a backstory to it though. If we explore the few houses that are on the coast here, we can learn a bit more about it.

Looks like our fisherman friend was digging where he wasn't supposed to. We get a couple of passwords for nearby chests, but I'm pretty sure that I've already found and looted those two already. Nice that the game rewards you for backtracking and going back to places that you've already been.

Not too far away from the fisherman's house, we can find the grave in question that he dug up.

"Warning: Black Slayer. Do not free. This means you, stupid."

Man. He really wanted to get at that gold. Maybe we better question him again.

Or not.

We continue up to Zun, and get ambushed by small groups of moredhel. There isn't much to say about the fights though. James and Gorath hacked most of the enemy, while Owyn used skyfire to burn the rest.

:science:

Back in LaMut. We can rest at the inn and restock as needed, but the real benefit to coming back is to check in with the folks that we've already met back in Chapter 1.

Let's start with our favorite bartender.

"All the hours of the day if need be, honorable sire. How may I be of service?"

Couple of new options have opened up. While we found Makala's ruby in the previous chapter, we actually saw him for the first time at the end of that same chapter, so let's ask about him.

MAKALA

"We met a Tsurani in Krondor named Makala. Do you know anything about him?"

"He is a Great One of the Assembly of Magicians. Beyond that, I know little as the Great Ones do not communicate with the lesser folk."

"Lesser folk?"

"Those who are not of the Assembly or those who are not Lords or Ladies of the Tsurani Empire. It would be improper that a person such as I should speak to one of his rank unless he asked a question of me. This is the way of my former people."

ROADS

"I suspect the graveyard outside of LaMut will fill up faster than the gravedigger can dig holes if the roads become any more treacherous."

"It is truer than you might imagine. The roads at night are patrolled now by the LaMutian guard. Any found out after dark will be slain on sight."

"No exceptions?"

"Dubal told me that he managed to...haggle, is that the word?...past one of the guards, but then again he is especially gifted with words. I, myself, would not wish to rely upon such a skill."

HAGGLING

"I've always found myself on the short end of the stick when I've tried my hand at haggling. Ask me to charm the dress off a peasant girl, no problem. But when it comes to convincing a merchant to undersell something to me, I'm less than expert."

"You were not born knowing how to walk, but you seem to have no difficulty putting one foot in front of another. Anything may be learned so long as you truly wish to learn it."

"So who would I speak to about learning how to haggle? Dubal?"

"Dubal is Dubal. His talent is a part of him and I doubt he understands his own abilities. There is one who lives in Romney, however, who I think may be of help. He is known as Mitchel Waylander and is the head of a very powerful guild, the Glazer's Guild. I had a very long conversation with him when he wished to buy a few of our Tsurani pots. I think he could teach you something about haggling."

GOODBYE

"I'm afraid it's time we did something other than sit around soaking up the atmosphere. Things to do."

"I am pleased you chose to visit the Blue Wheel Inn. It is my hope you will return again."

"I would say it is a definite possibility, assuming we're ever in LaMut again. Goodbye, Sumani."

Interesting to note that Sumani is telling us about a character that we will meet once we (eventually) get to Romney, who we can get haggling training from. Could be useful, especially for Owyn, who I always use to haggle down prices in the game. We also have gotten a warning that it is dangerous to travel at night. I don't remember if this is actually the case, but perhaps it is worth trying out. :v:

Sumani also mentioned Dubal, so let's talk to him now.

"Most folk enter a room, they looks to the left, to the right, check out the lay of a place then they choose where to go. When you come aprancin' in, you walk straight in as an arrow as if nothing could stand in your way. No one does that that's not stupid or very good with a knife..."

"I'm not stupid."

"Didna think ya were, but I'd wager a month's salary that you've done some time as a thief."

"I suggest you lay a hefty amount on the wager. You'd win. But all that was a long time ago. I'm in the service of the Prince now."

"Are ya now? It's a shame almost. There's a new section of the Mac Mordain Cadal that's just been reopened by the workers - there was a terrible collapse there not too long ago ya know - and they say that there's a chamber there just heaped up with treasure."

"Why tell me? Why not get the treasure yourself?"

"That would be stealin' from meself - it's dwarven treasure after all - Besides I wouldna 'ave the desire to try. If you're no thief, I've nothing to worry in telling you, and if you are - again, I've nothing to worry about. We don' exactly leave treasure just laying about unless its for good reason."

"And what reason would that be?"

"Let's just say that there are certain things in this world that ya either are or are not supposed to 'ave. If ya were meant to tooch somethin', you will. If not, well then...fate sorts that sort of thing out."

"I believe you're right about that, Dubal. A lesson I've learned the hard way."

I like how Dubal goads the player on to explore the dwarf caves during the game. Clever way to get somebody else to deal with the monsters that live down there, such as the Brak Noor that we killed the first chapter. We have a big tease now about a chamber heaped up with treasure and that may be hard to ignore.

Our last place to stop in at is LaMut's garrison.

Further confirmation of what Sumani told us earlier - moredhel are causing trouble, and it is safe to travel at night. It is also possible that this is also meant to dissuade us from taking the scenic route to Romney, since the northern passage will be swarming with enemy troops... supposedly.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Thank you so much for doing this LP.

It brings me back, a whole summer spent inside my parents basement, doing nothing but playing Krondor.

This game has so much backstory it is unbelievable, shame I never got around to reading the authors books.

Will you be moving on to Betrayal At Antara after?

Also did some reading and there was a small push for a kickstarter, from the lead developer, to do a BaK revival... pretty sure it failed :(

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Does the scenic route include taking a poke at the dwarven mines? Because c'mon, heaped with loot!

Also, Return to Krondor would be a more fitting follow-up than Betrayal at Antara, being set in the same world and all. Though I guess chronologically Antara was made well before that.

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

Sappo569 posted:

Will you be moving on to Betrayal At Antara after?

I have it, but everytime I try to save the game it crashes. If I can fix that problem then maybe I will.

Have to get through this game first! :v:

PurpleXVI posted:

Does the scenic route include taking a poke at the dwarven mines? Because c'mon, heaped with loot!

Also, Return to Krondor would be a more fitting follow-up than Betrayal at Antara, being set in the same world and all. Though I guess chronologically Antara was made well before that.

The most roundabout way to getting to Romney would of course include exploring dwarf mines on the other side of the map!

Return to Krondor might be bettered served as a video LP, given the style of the game as opposed to BaK and Antara, so I'd have to learn how to do that. :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It shouldn't take that long to put a video up of you uninstalling Antara, right? That's a good enough LP for me. In 2014, when you finish this thread, because we're all terrible people making you take the long way around everything. You think the scenic route is bad this chapter.... :v:

I never played Return to Krondor - missed it when it was new, figured it didn't live up to BAK when I saw it on GOG.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
I tried playing Betrayal in Antara recently but the GOG version kept crashing on me and I couldn't find any solution to that. :( I really wanted to see if it's as bad as people say.

Sappo569 posted:

Also did some reading and there was a small push for a kickstarter, from the lead developer, to do a BaK revival... pretty sure it failed :(

Yeah, unfortunately Neal Hallford's name doesn't carry the same weight as e.g. Chris Avellone's or any other celebrity designer's. Such a shame though, because the game was pretty much entirely his baby and I'd love to see another game as rich in detail and well-written as Krondor.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Psion posted:

I never played Return to Krondor - missed it when it was new, figured it didn't live up to BAK when I saw it on GOG.

It really didn't, it was much smaller, had less exploration, less to do in general, and somehow the combat system was just plain less interesting. There was also a single chapter that was literally nothing but random encounter after random encounter and one optional sidequest. It was literally just combat, combat, combat, combat, combat. And the following chapters weren't much better at being interesting or varied, despite having ideas that absolutely could have been.

There are definitely worse games out there, though, it's playable, it's not outright broken, it's not laughably bad, even the voice acting is relatively decent. It just... falls short of being memorable.

Betrayal at Antara, as I remember it, was mostly bad just for being a crashy, buggy, pile of, well, crashiness. Even on the software and hardware it was meant to run on, it was a pain in the rear end not to make it constantly gently caress up. The writing wasn't actually particularly bad, and the mechanics were pretty similar to BaK rehashed, so if you could stomach those in BaK you could probably deal with them in BiA.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I recently reloaded Betrayal at Antara based on good memories of finishing the game years ago. When I realized I still had the muscle memory for reloading the game after it crashed, I realized my memory was a bit biased.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Man, the Black Slayers scared the heck out of me when I was a kid. Something about the way they looked, moved, and just wouldn't stop coming after you.

I'm going to have to take another look at my copies of Antara when I get home, if the GoG version doesn't work I've got the original.

...you can apparently run this with Windows 3.1 in DOSBox, on an Android device. :psyduck:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that the plot's not sending you down into the dwarf mines, but the dwarves are trying to lure you down there with promises of treasure. Makes sense.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've abandoned Betrayal in Antara when it crashed twice within the first 5 minutes. I don't think I ever got to do anything.

I've actually put quite a bit of time into Return to Krondor, but the thing that really annoyed me to the point I stopped playing was when you spend like an hour following a bunch of redshirts that were obviously doomed the moment they appeared. I guess it was a triple subversion or something - you assume they're going to get killed to let the bad guy get away, then you think that the writers must have something a bit more clever in store when you spend so long with these guys and then they get killed to let the bad guy get away big surprise.

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

Update 24: Don't trust anybody

At the end of the last update, we were tempted with promises of gold and jewels by resident LaMutian dwarf, Dubal.

"You are saying that there are mounds of gold and piles of jewels just waiting to be snatched up?"

"There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls, Doing more murder in this loathsome world, Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell."

"... I'm taking that as a yes."

"'ope you've not come for passage through to Elvandar. We've gained some ground and cleared out a new section of about three miles or so, but we've a long way to go. After the Brak Nurr collapsed the passages, we've been a wee bit busy."

"Any idea how long a delay we should expect?"

"Even with a 'undred dwarves flaying rock until they've bashed their bairns in, it'll take some while. The rock's festooned like a cheese rind and we 'ave to take it slow, else the lot of it'll come down on our 'eads and the whole of it gone to waste. We may get some 'elp though. We've been tapping messages back 'n forth through the rock and our cousins on the other side say that Aglaranna of the elves may be able to lend a hand."

"Sounds delicious."

"Shaddup you."

"I'm surprised we haven't seen many cases of Quegian Fever up this way. They're having problems with it down at the Abbey of Ishap at Sarth."

"Ach! If you're going to talk about Bourgalan, call it by its name arights, not by that Keshian bark..."

"Sarth was dwarven?"

"Not the abbey itself, no, but the caverns beneath! It was the greatest emerald mine the dwarves ever delved, the Mac Bourgalan Dok. It ran for miles in every direction and part o' the chambers ran right beneath where the Abbey now stands, though I understand those silly priests 'ave stuffed the tunnels to the rafters with books. We'd still own the caverns now, but we made an arrangement with Mejakaar Blackpatch when he moved into the keep that 'ad been built over one of the entrances..."

"And Mejakaar still owns the mine?"

"Aye, if corpses can be said to own anything. 'e's been dead a long while, even as dwarves reckon time. The mines are the property now of the Brothers of Ishap, though I doubt they know how to get from their vaults to the main passages of the mine."

"We should leave you to your work, I suppose. Thanks once more for talking with us."

"Aye, my pleasure as well, but if you'll excuse me..."

"Most certainly. We will be on our way as well."

We'll have to tuck that bit of information away for now. If nothing else, it is a hint that Sarth was built over one of the entrances to one of the dwarf mines. This means further exploration.

"And emeralds! Don't forget the emeralds!"

Fortunately, no enemies respawn in the mine. We head back down towards where we killed Brak in the last chapter and push on past that point. Previously we were refused to go any further by the dwarves.

Now it seems that the way is clear to descend down a level.

Thoughtful of the dwarves to include actual staircases.

YES

Of course it would be Owyn who would be the most clumsy of the group.

I shouldn't be too hard on him though. James is a legendary thief, and Gorath is a badass killing machine.

A door! I wonder what kind of treasure awaits beyond it?

Just two rogues? Really?

"Better shut the door behind us."

Despite fumbling around with the door, we still manage to successfully ambush the rogues.

It is a quick battle.

:black101: "Grrrr..."

Too bad there probably isn't any good loot. All it is broadswords and kingdom armor, never anything new.

Wait... that sword looks different.

It is different! It is also better then our current broadswords, so we have Gorath swap out his and now he holds the Goblin Sticker.

"I dub thee, Murdersword!"

Turns out they were guarding a treasure chest too! Big things come in small packages right? Let's open it up!

"Oh Gods. I'm having the worst flashback ever."

"I don't see what the problem is, let's go ahead and open it."

:derp: "Nooooooooooooooooooooo!"

"What? It's just a lock. Nothing that 'Jimmy the Hand' can't handle!"

:sweatdrop:

You've got to be making GBS threads me.

:shrug:

Legendary thief my rear end.

Maybe there is treasure in this large pile of rocks?

Yeah, anything, even nothing. :mad:

So far this trip has been a complete waste of time, save for Gorath's new sword.

:colbert: "Murdersword."

What a weird sidequest. Bring them very expensive armor... in return for what exactly?

"Still plenty for us to explore down here. Let's go past the kobold pit, and..."

"Well poo poo."

That's it. Just one easy combat, a chest that James somehow cannot open, and a goofy fetch quest. Let's get the hell out of here.

Now that we've spoken to the kobolds we do get some additional dialogue options with Naddur upon our exit though.

"Any idea where we lay our hands on a suit of Grey Tower plate mail?"

"Ah, blast! I'll have those buggers for dinner if they keep this up... You've been talking to those bloddy kobolds, 'aven't you? What did they tell you they want the armor plate mail for? A treasure for Rhuargh? A ransom for a lost kobold princess? They're having you on and at our expense. Ya canna get Grey Tower Plate this side o' the Cadal!"

"How silly of me. I suppose the dwarves have sworn off wearing armor?"

"Daft as drovers...all you Kingdom folk. We dwarves no more live in these mines than your King Lyam lives in the ocean, despite the fact he rules his kingdom from an island! The great majority of our kin live in villages much the same as yours, the only difference being that most of our villages are on the western side of the Grey Towers. There's not much call for a dwarven suit of armor this side of LaMut..."

"Then there's absolutely no way we could find a dwarven suit of armor?"

"I did na' exactly say that, now did I? Ya might go an look at one of the old battlefields. Sometimes bits from the old wars turn up there."

BATTLE SITES

"Owyn, how would you like to see a dwarven battleground? I know I would and I'm sure Naddur's just going to burst if he doesn't tell us how to find one. Right, Naddur?"

"If it's one thing a dwarf ne'er forgets, it's ground where kin 'ave spilt their lifeblood. Aye, I can tell ya where ta find a battleground. Tyr-bloddy-Sog. It's whar last your kin and mine crossed swords again' one another and that was a fiercesome battle what would make the battle for Sethanon look like a day at the fair. If you've truly a mind to this, try the west bank of the river right before crossing towards Tyr-Sog. That's whar you'll 'ave your best luck."

PITS

"We were trying to find our way below and we ran across a pit we couldn't even see the bottom of. Is there some way of getting around it?"

"The only way around it is over it. Ya'll need a length o' rope before ya can get over the sink shafts. I'd lend you a length of ours, but if you'll pardon the jest, they're all tied up at the moment."

:rimshot:

"I'm here all week, ladies and germs. Let me tell ya'll another one, two Brak Nurrs walk into a bar, and..."

"...Jesus christ, let's get out of here already."

Good thing we are already heading to Tyr-bloddy-Sog. We'll just have to do a more thorough search this time around and see if we can find this dwarf armor...

It's getting dark outside, so we better get moving.

Sheesh, big government nanny state, am I right?

Oh, this should be good. Alright James, what is our good reason to be out late at night?

Wait.. what? Did I miss the reason that you provided that so adeptly got us out of trouble? What did you tell them?

:smug: "I'm not saying."

"Literally. I wasn't programmed to say anything to them."

drat you Neal Hallford! :argh:

Snugglecakes fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 31, 2013

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

You know, I can't even remember what a kobold is in this setting, I don't think I recall reading any books mentioning them, but then again there's a lot of Feist I haven't read.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Gnomes, basically. They're referred to in Magician which is also where Rhuagh comes from. I don't recall if they ever showed up directly or were just referenced - maybe a couple lines of text at most.

Let's just hope James can redeem himself by spotting armor out in the open since he can't open a chest. :v:

e: Snugglecakes did you show off the infinite money trick in Tanneurs? I don't recall.

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 29, 2013

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
There's so much of this game I just barely, vaguely remember. And I don't think I was old enough to actually follow the story very well. I just wandered around killing things.

I do remember getting some awesome crossbows and sniping moredhel from across the battlefield with over a 100% accuracy though. That was fun.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Psion posted:

e: Snugglecakes did you show off the infinite money trick in Tanneurs? I don't recall.

No he did not. Although frankly he may as well just soldier on to chapter three where there is a legitimate infinite money trick right at the start of it.

I also think he forgot to confront Isaac about his betrayal

That whole gem side quest was actually relevant to the main plot though that doesnt become apparent until much later

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 29, 2013

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Huh. I don't remember ever getting that nighttime encounter (and it's not like I didn't travel by night). Maybe it doesn't trigger in certain versions?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Snugglecakes posted:

It is different! It is also better then our current broadswords, so we have Gorath swap out his and now he holds the Goblin Stickler.

Goblin Stickler

Stickler.

:eng99:

The flood of memories is still coming back, I spent sooo many hours on this game it was almost criminal.

Now that I think back, I wonder how wrong my pronunciation of everything was, names, places, etc.

If I ever spoke in person to another BaK vet we'd probably sound like mental patients

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It's pretty impressive how much of this game seems like optional side content. I'm used to modern games which tend to be 95% mandatory storyline and 5% optional fetch quests. OK, you still have your occasional Elder Scrolls game, but still.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

It's pretty impressive how much of this game seems like optional side content. I'm used to modern games which tend to be 95% mandatory storyline and 5% optional fetch quests. OK, you still have your occasional Elder Scrolls game, but still.

BaK was the game that turned me into one of those compulsively reveal all the map types - exploration was such a cool/fun thing to do. It's really a shame how you don't get that many options to do that in a lot of games these days, because who doesn't like discovering cool poo poo?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What I find even more interesting is how they often find ways for the characters to actually justify being far out of their way, or turn the side content into actual small side stories with its own additional characters and situations. It isn't just 'We wandered here for money and power' but 'We wanted to investigate something out this way' or 'we wanted to throw them off our trail and conceal our real destination', etc. It might be kinda flimsy sometimes but I really appreciate the effort.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Goblin Sticker sounds like a much shitter weapon than anything we have, banged together in a terrible hurry from whatever was at hand, and all. Is our current gear really that terrible?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Glazius posted:

The Goblin Sticker sounds like a much shitter weapon than anything we have, banged together in a terrible hurry from whatever was at hand, and all. Is our current gear really that terrible?

The flavor text doesn't always give you a perfect estimation of the actual statistics, but yeah - look at the numbers. The Goblin Sticker does +22 swing damage bonus (and doesn't have the -5 accuracy penalty) over a Kingdom Broadsword, and it's better in thrust as well (just less so) - the numbers aren't as bad but it also roundly beats out the two-handed broadsword and moredhel lamprey.

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

Sappo569 posted:

Goblin Stickler

Stickler.

:eng99:

The flood of memories is still coming back, I spent sooo many hours on this game it was almost criminal.

Now that I think back, I wonder how wrong my pronunciation of everything was, names, places, etc.

If I ever spoke in person to another BaK vet we'd probably sound like mental patients

Let's Play Sometimes I make Spelling Mistakes! :dealwithit:

(fixed, thanks)

Night10194 posted:

What I find even more interesting is how they often find ways for the characters to actually justify being far out of their way, or turn the side content into actual small side stories with its own additional characters and situations. It isn't just 'We wandered here for money and power' but 'We wanted to investigate something out this way' or 'we wanted to throw them off our trail and conceal our real destination', etc. It might be kinda flimsy sometimes but I really appreciate the effort.

In Chapter 3 it becomes "We wandered here because we have no idea what we are doing". :v:

At least, that was how it was when I played the game way back when.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Oh yeah, that's exactly how I played Chapter 3.

I remember the order of events - now - but I have no idea where all the things are, so that's how I'd play it today, too.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
There actually is justification for going nearly anywhere in Chapter three except probably the Lamut area and the game leaves a ton of clues trying to herd you along a certain path. I usually just head straight to Romney in chapter 2 and explore everywhere in chapter 3 , I dont think there are many chapter 2 exclusive combats anyway while there are a fair few exclusive chapter 3 fights in the rear end end of nowhere.

dresq
Jan 28, 2012

So... do you have many friends who aren't involved in crime?
I'm just looking forward to Snugglecakes getting his hands on the titular items of Chapter 3. Many fun times were had obsessively-compulsively using those at every opportunity from then onward.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

dresq posted:

I'm just looking forward to Snugglecakes getting his hands on the titular items of Chapter 3. Many fun times were had obsessively-compulsively using those at every opportunity from then onward.

The Spider really isnt that useful, its nice for arrows but your not going to be using it a whole lot there, but for swords poison is a lovely enhancement and in chapter 4 the party will get their hands on more naphta than theyll know what to do with. Besides that chapter 3 allows you to make more money than god so you can just buy clerical oil cloths, naptha, and icers for your weapons. Still the spyglass was a godsend.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Glad to see this back! Just caught up on the new posts.

Have you seriously never had an effective James before? His speed alone makes him fantastic. There's also a crapload of stat boosting available in Chapters 2 and 3 (technically most of them are accessible in Chapter 1, just far away), so he usually ends up with all of his stats well ahead of Locky's. Toss him a couple Upright Man lockets and he can pretty much open anything too.

Also, I don't know if you're intentionally waiting for some reason, but every new chapter you can bard again. The gold is small enough to not be worth going out of your way for, but if you're already in the tavern, it's worth the extra 20 seconds to click on the lute.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

MagusofStars posted:

Glad to see this back! Just caught up on the new posts.

Have you seriously never had an effective James before? His speed alone makes him fantastic. There's also a crapload of stat boosting available in Chapters 2 and 3 (technically most of them are accessible in Chapter 1, just far away), so he usually ends up with all of his stats well ahead of Locky's. Toss him a couple Upright Man lockets and he can pretty much open anything too.

Also, I don't know if you're intentionally waiting for some reason, but every new chapter you can bard again. The gold is small enough to not be worth going out of your way for, but if you're already in the tavern, it's worth the extra 20 seconds to click on the lute.

Funny thing about the barding

If you just walk in and play the lute, you earn the usual 20-30 coins, unless there is a game of chance in the tavern... in that case you 'earn' what would have been the gamblers pool

If you happen to loose a bunch of money in a card game, and then play the lute, you usually end up making back around 70-80% of whatever it is you lost at the card game

I think its a neat way for them to make sure you don't loose everything you have in one game of chance.

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 4, 2013

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Did you ever go over the racial stat of weapons? I could never figure that one out, both what it did and if there was supposed to be more characters that got cut.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

You know, I'm trying to remember if those racial stats on swords ever meant a drat thing to the game. I always assumed they were just "the race that made sword x is ______" but doesn't the game imply an effect?

also, Snugglecakes, be sure to stop in at Wolfram :)

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Psion posted:

You know, I'm trying to remember if those racial stats on swords ever meant a drat thing to the game. I always assumed they were just "the race that made sword x is ______" but doesn't the game imply an effect?

An effect is implied as the game calls it a "racial modifier" reading around on the internet suggests that using stuff that you are the wrong race for gives a small penalty, however even if there is a penalty its negligible as its more than outweighed by the differences in the quality of equipment. Compare Kingdom plate (human) with Grey tower plate (Dwarf) and any penalty would have to be massive to make a difference and would make grey tower plate useless as there are no PC or NPC (enemy) dwarves in the game. There is basically no reason to not have everyone running around in dragon plate, weapons can be a little varied at least until Swords of Lims Kragma and the Guarda Revanche show up as I could see arguments for using rapiers or griefmakers over an elven great sword. With Crossbows any penalty or effect is moot as you are either going to be going accuracy (elven) or power (human)

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 5, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Right, that's what I was thinking of. Thing is, I haven't found any numbers on what the modifier actually does in game. I certainly never saw any effect I could notice, at any rate. Better swords = more damage, no matter who was wielding them.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Hell yeah, I loved this game as a kid, and it got me into reading Feist's books back then. I'm gonna keep my eye on this thread for the heavy nostalgia factor.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Been re-playing this since the Let's Play.

It's amazing how much I can remember from my child hood, especially little things like places to avoid for ambushes, or the word locks on chests.

When I first played this the internet was still fledgling, 56k I believe was high-speed. There didn't exist things like walk-throughs or a list of all the chest codes laid out.

I've been looking for a book to read, might have to check the Kobo store and see what is there from Feist

:edit:

Theres a metric tonne of books by Feist on the Kobo bookstore, it appears "Krondor The Betrayal" is the one produced after the game was made, unless I am reading it wrong.

I want the book that most closely follows the plot line of the game, is this it?

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Sappo569 posted:

I want the book that most closely follows the plot line of the game, is this it?

It is, though of course it edits a few things, like most of the sidequests and some of the optional encounters don't quite happen because in the book, James isn't suddenly struck by a strange urge to set off at a 90-degree angle to the route he's supposed to be taking, and they take a fair chop at weaving the ones they don't write out into the story or at least sort-of mentioning them(i.e. Locklear meets someone who DOES ask for help, but because he's in a serious situation he doesn't quite have time to go exploring a dwarven mine or anything). Though as far as videogame books go, it's pretty readable, definitely miles above and beyond, say, the execrable Baldur's Gate book adaptations.

If you want to start with his books in general, though, I think that Magcian: Apprentice, followed by Magician: Master, are the two first.

• Locked thread