Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«10 »
Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

Z is the new C

Fridays at 9/8c on DISCOVERY

Just started and no one made a thread.

People are going to die this season, I can feel it.

Zero One fucked around with this message at Aug 3, 2013 around 01:15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.

I just binged through all 3 seasons of the show in the last two weeks. The whole time during the first two seasons of Gold Rush, I felt Todd wasn't really being given a fair shake by the editing crew. Things kept breaking, and while his calls were questionable, it seemed like their potential being limited wasn't really anyone's fault and just bad luck and lovely timing.

After season 3? gently caress Todd Hoffman. I'm watching now just for the inevitable meltdown and potential for horrific consequences to his idiotic decisions. I have no doubt that a lot of season 3 was editing to make Dave look like hot poo poo, but the differences were night and day between the two crews, and Todd's antics were downright sitcom or outright malicious and the guy deserves to have his face rubbed in it when something fails catastrophically because of him. I look forward to this only to continue my schadenfreude addiction. Plus, gold mining is crazy awesome when it's going right.

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012

You know as much as the narrator constantly talks about "risking it all" the guys don't seem to have much of an appetite for actual physical risk. I mean ok so the road is dangerous but clearly not so dangerous that literally thousands of people don't make use of it. I guess I'm just a bit miffed that we won't have more scenes of Todd interacting with Peruvian collectavists

Lord Tywin
Oct 3, 2012

Captian Nuke posted:

You know as much as the narrator constantly talks about "risking it all" the guys don't seem to have much of an appetite for actual physical risk. I mean ok so the road is dangerous but clearly not so dangerous that literally thousands of people don't make use of it. I guess I'm just a bit miffed that we won't have more scenes of Todd interacting with Peruvian collectavists

They get like 10,000 dollar per episode so that they're risking it all is just stupid, Jack Hoffman is also a rich slumlord http://www.wweek.com/portland/artic...sweet_home.html . Even though 90 % of the show is bullshit I will still watch it since I find the idiocy of Todd amusing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

So I'm wondering how this will work. Is the Alaska stuff and S.America stuff all lumped into one show? The Alaska mining season can't be over yet.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

Keep your energy high with my Beast Power Rap

wormil posted:

So I'm wondering how this will work. Is the Alaska stuff and S.America stuff all lumped into one show? The Alaska mining season can't be over yet.
The titles of the episodes are "Peruvian Gold" this week and "Chilean Gold" next week seems to indicate they only found 40 minutes of material in each of those countries, but I can't find any information about the South American show this year other than "limited Summer series" The previous 3 season premieres were all in October, and last year's The Jungle was a one-shot on 8/17.

There is a second episode of "The Dirt" that is going to air on 8/30, so maybe the South America series this year will be 5 episodes?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

T E
E M
L P
L L
T O
A Y
L E
E E

oh boy, I can't wait to watch this train wreck.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

Z is the new C

Since it's Shark Week, I'm watching Nat Geo for my pre-show gold. Its actually an interesting show about old Yukon river steamship wrecks.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Eventually Todd will stop getting so excited at his foreign contacts overstating the amount of gold he can find. Maybe not.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

As mentioned before, these are "pay you $10,000 an episode to go on a vacation" prospecting trips.

Lord Tywin
Oct 3, 2012

I really liked how they built the wash plan away from the water just so they had to move it even though there was no reason whatsoever.

CVagts posted:

Eventually Todd will stop getting so excited at his foreign contacts overstating the amount of gold he can find. Maybe not.

Todd must be every reality show producer's dream, he is so drat easy to manipulate.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Are they actually going to mine in South America, or is the show just going to switch back to the other two parties?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Boco_T posted:

As mentioned before, these are "pay you $10,000 an episode to go on a vacation" prospecting trips.

That's how I watch the show. Four guys pretending to be miners touring South America.

Lord Tywin posted:

I really liked how they built the wash plan away from the water just so they had to move it even though there was no reason whatsoever.

Even dumber they didn't build it on skids so they could just tow it to the water.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Oh yeah.

This season has been pretty good! I love the scenery and the crazy contraptions they have to make trying to get gold. I wasn't expecting much, but this is better than the regular seasons so far I think. I have a feeling they're not going to find much of anything, though.

I want to watch a $200,000 trommel roll down the side of a moutain!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

T E
E M
L P
L L
T O
A Y
L E
E E

welp it looks like we're staying in South America. I want to say this won't end well but I have a little faith if Todd just hangs back and lets the other guys make some decisions.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Fred Dodge clearly knows his poo poo, so if he's going all-in with the Hoffmans (supposedly he was just a consultant last year), they've got a real shot to get some good gold out of South America.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

Based on Gold Rush, it seems like 80% of the gold industry revolves around purchaseing plots of land and then camping on them for years until someone comes along and offers 10% to 20% to mine it for you. That's how Todd's operated his entire time, and even Parker had to get two deals that way last season, so it can't just be set up that way for Todd. I would have thought that these people would have multiple plots and equipment to work it, and they're just working one claim at a time, biding their time, except if that was the case, there's no way they'd actually accept 10% over 100% unless Discovery is paying them to get Todd and crew into a plot.

I'd really rather see Dave and Fred working together without Todd like they did for half of last season. A little competence goes a long way.

Season 5 should be Todd and Planetary Resources, mining asteroids for gold and precious metals.

Lord Tywin
Oct 3, 2012

I didn't expect them to actually stay in South America, this will certainly be interesting.

Mortanis posted:

Season 5 should be Todd and Planetary Resources, mining asteroids for gold and precious metals.
"Dad, please let the astronaut fly this"
"No! I can handle this just fine, it's not so different from driving an excavator"
"Dad, watch out for that asteroid on the left"
"It's fine Todd"
"Slow the frick down!"
After risking it all by mining in space the Hoffman crew crashed on an asteroid, is it all over? Or will the Hoffman crew be able to build a wash plant out of the wreckage?

Lord Tywin fucked around with this message at Aug 18, 2013 around 02:13

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

You want to file a WHAT!?

I dunno if I'm in for this season. I just can't watch these retards bumble around in the dirt anymore.

Like I and everyone else said, do a season about Tony Beets and his protege Darth Parker and I'd watch that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

I like how Peru is a dangerous uncivilized shithole where you can't drive on a road with any safety, and the towns are basically old west towns with tarps. Then they go to Chile and are able to drive down to Casa Depot and grab their supplies and have a fun little camping trip on the beach.

E: Of course that beach was easy, there's no gold there.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at Aug 19, 2013 around 03:32

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

T E
E M
L P
L L
T O
A Y
L E
E E

Loving Life Partner posted:

I dunno if I'm in for this season. I just can't watch these retards bumble around in the dirt anymore.

Like I and everyone else said, do a season about Tony Beets and his protege Darth Parker and I'd watch that.

Good thing next weeks episode had Tony Beets and Parker. I wouldn't count this season out yet.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

You want to file a WHAT!?

Photex posted:

Good thing next weeks episode had Tony Beets and Parker. I wouldn't count this season out yet.

Oh good

I only watched like maybe half of it with one eye.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

They need to pull the edit team off Parker. The reveal that he's a complete dick to the camera and production crew (read: a normal teenager rear end in a top hat) was hilarious. They need to let more of that through this season instead of editing him to be the sane one compared to Todd and the Dakota Boys.

The only problem with the next episode is it's going to be half subtitled for Tony Beets.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Mortanis posted:

The only problem with the next episode is it's going to be half subtitled for Tony Beets.

I see no problem with half an episode of Tony Beets, subtitles or not, except that it's not an entire episode.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

Z is the new C

Hahah, Parker got a loan of gold from his family.

Edit: Surprise appearance by Todd!

Zero One fucked around with this message at Aug 24, 2013 around 01:23

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

I hope it's Todd's old lovely blue wash plant.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

Z is the new C

I hope its the Turbo Trommel.

Edit: Parker is screwed.

Ok, Parker is stealing one of Todd's machines. He is the best.

Zero One fucked around with this message at Aug 24, 2013 around 01:44

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

This whole season needs to be the Parker and Tony show. I don't care about the Hoffmans or the Dakota Boys.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

Z is the new C

Tony is my new favorite.

Parker is going to destroy Todd's excavator.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

T E
E M
L P
L L
T O
A Y
L E
E E

I always love how no bullshit Tony is, "oh good for you k bye."

Terex
Jan 2, 2013

Mortanis posted:

Based on Gold Rush, it seems like 80% of the gold industry revolves around purchaseing plots of land and then camping on them for years until someone comes along and offers 10% to 20% to mine it for you. That's how Todd's operated his entire time, and even Parker had to get two deals that way last season, so it can't just be set up that way for Todd. I would have thought that these people would have multiple plots and equipment to work it, and they're just working one claim at a time, biding their time, except if that was the case, there's no way they'd actually accept 10% over 100% unless Discovery is paying them to get Todd and crew into a plot.

I'd really rather see Dave and Fred working together without Todd like they did for half of last season. A little competence goes a long way.

Actually it's pretty much the opposite. If the land they mine had any serious gold on it, it would be mined by large multinational companies.

Last year they mined ~35,000g of gold (0.035t), world production in 2012 was 2,700t (they had 1.3X10^-5 of all gold production). Large mines (mines that are in hard rock, not placer mining) can produce tonnes of gold a year. The largest gold mine in the world, Grasberg in Indonesia, produced 58.5 tonnes of gold in 2006 (6+ times more per day).

Lately the show has been jumping the shark for me. What are the odds of a brand new Doosan showing up in the middle of Guyana? No one uses Doosan, and the closest dealership is in Surinam. If they're going for any kind of accuracy they would have a Cat, maybe a Hitachi or Komatsu. The only time I've ever seen Doosan equipment is on this show in Yukon/Alaska, so I'm guessing they signed some product placement contract. You're not getting parts for it in the middle of the jungle...

Secondly, Parker "stealing" a hoe. It can't be a coincidence that Parker's new mine is located so close to Todd's operation. I'm sure they had an agreement to use the equipment before hand, and it will just be used off screen. What I imagine really happened is the batteries were dead from sitting in the cold all winter, so they gave it a boost.

Having said that, I really want to see Dave and Fred succeed while the Hoffmans gently caress up. I think if they ditched Todd, or kicked him off of operations, they would be a lot more profitable, but not as fun to watch.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

I want to see Dave and Fred fly a D-5 Cat piece by piece up in that little plane to the new site, then re-assemble it.

I'm stuck on this show now, like Ice Road Truckers, I just have to watch it, not sure why.

Oh yeah, that Africa based gold show is on again. Those two make Todd look like a brilliant professional.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

A recap/behind the scenes episode already? Frick.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

Cpt.Wacky posted:

A recap/behind the scenes episode already? Frick.
I think last week's was the last of the "summer season" and the actual gold mining starts in October when the "regular season" starts as it does every October.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Forgot this was on, just stumbled across an episode where the rolled a car into a river. Par for the course for the Hoffman crew.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

Jungle Gold's season finale is already airing next week, making the season only 5 episodes. I'm in the middle of my DVR's recording of episode 4 and they haven't done any mining at all, and the title of episode 5 is "Run for the Border." So, I guess they just made the show for the people on the show to get Discovery Channel appearance fee money. There hasn't been a single gold mining moment worth watching this entire season. Kinda like how the most recent Whale Wars season was only 8 episodes without a single whale war waged.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Boco_T posted:

Jungle Gold's season finale is already airing next week, making the season only 5 episodes. I'm in the middle of my DVR's recording of episode 4 and they haven't done any mining at all, and the title of episode 5 is "Run for the Border." So, I guess they just made the show for the people on the show to get Discovery Channel appearance fee money. There hasn't been a single gold mining moment worth watching this entire season. Kinda like how the most recent Whale Wars season was only 8 episodes without a single whale war waged.

That is really disappointing. I haven't caught the latest episode yet but it seemed like they were off to a much better start this time.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Cpt.Wacky posted:

That is really disappointing. I haven't caught the latest episode yet but it seemed like they were off to a much better start this time.

I watched episode 4 last night and I'm guessing their business partner (the shady-sounding brit from last season) pulls the plug since he's been carrying them the whole way. I'm sure he sees an opportunity to get all the gold for himself, which is fair considering he's providing the land and all the equipment aside from one lovely old excavator that randomly malfunctions and destroys poo poo in the process.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

Cpt.Wacky posted:

It is a 2 hour episode and really hosed up. I wonder if this has happened on any other reality show. Basically a group of armed militants go and try to kill a bunch of other miners a few miles away from their gold claim AND they find out they are apparently looking for them. They look it up online and find out they have a warrant for their arrest so the entire crew bounces (avoiding law enforcement to basically escape the country) and it just seems like a really unfortunate turn of events. They basically feel like they are going to get murdered or worse in Ghana and it seems like they aren't lying.

drat, I loved this show too. Hopefully we get "Volcano Gold" next season or something and we get more of George and Scott because I think their Ghana adventures are over now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

That last episode was crazy made the whole series worth it. Also, Dave out of nowhere being an evangelist preacher with a family, and poor Alan.

«10 »