Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Piell posted:

So did a little playing around with ware. You can get Alphaware Wired Reflexes 1, Used Reaction Enhancers 3, Used Muscle Toner 3, and Used Muscle Augmentation 3 for 217,800 nuyen (leaving 57200 if you went priority B for Resources), leaving 1.775 essence. That's +10 to attributes and +1d6 initiative for a priority B, which is a pretty good deal for a Street Sam without having to go to resources A.

Limit of +4 from augmentations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Deviant posted:

Limit of +4 from augmentations.

+4 to a specific attribute, not +4 overall.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hypha posted:

many interesting :words: about bones.

The usual immunity problems also apply but I am sure they can be mitigated. Also, you have no way of repairing these ribbons in the body and could lead to complications down the road but hey, you are going to the cultured version sooner rather than later, right?

It is a possibility that isn't stupid but it has its drawbacks in that in no way can it be as complete as the proper procedure. Still, propagation and silencing of existing lines is much easier than starting from scratch.

Also, you have all kinds of nanoimmunosupression drugs and type Owen bones, so there is that to say for easy transplants!

riggsninja
Jan 15, 2006
So I'm not sure how much use this is to anyone else, or if there's something else like this already out there, but I put together a spreadsheet for creating SR5 characters.

It'll calculate your limits and knowledge skills, all that junk, but you'll have to do most augmented stuff manually. I'm also still working my through the rules so there may still be mistakes.

Let me know what you think.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqqN7iDNBDXqdEhrSTlvM2xXOFdwT2RpekQtSl9acWc#gid=0

You need to "File > Make a copy" before you can start filling stuff out.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Yeah, Used definitely seems to be the way to go in chargen outside one or two other things. Which fits, you know; a Runner who's starting off (in SR5, a starting character is "has done a few Runs but hasn't made a name for themselves") isn't going to be loaded to the gills in Delta, he'll have taken whatever edges they can get.

I can alternately see a sammy going with Synapses rather then Wired and going the route of cyber arms; while she can only get +3 to her agility, she can also stack +3 armor from each arm on top of that.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
(Crossposting this in both threads, because it's not really an edition-specific question:)

I'm really interested in Aztechnology/Aztlan, is there a sourcebook, site, or novel I should pick up to learn more about them? I know the basics, in that they're sort of like Monsanto if Monsanto also owned most of central america and tended to sacrifice unsatisfactory employees to blood spirits, but not much beyond that. I'd like something that goes as deep as possible into the lore behind them and current events around them -- for example, I have no idea what's going on in the Yucatan (can you still tan there?) or who provides security on Aztech corporate ground.

And relevant to the discussion: Used 'ware fits a starting shadowrun character really well, yes. But one thing that always sort of bothered me was that used Alphaware is exactly as good as regular off-the-shelf gear (with the same essence cost) for 90% of the price. I'm sort of astounded that nobody did anything about this in the new edition. I mean I guess it's kind of thematic that if you know what you want and can find a black clinic that happens to have the right brand of giant robot arms you can get a crazy deal, but I don't like it when there are somewhat obtuse ways to get the (mechanically) exact same thing for less money in character generation.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

The Good Professor posted:

(Crossposting this in both threads, because it's not really an edition-specific question:)

I'm really interested in Aztechnology/Aztlan, is there a sourcebook, site, or novel I should pick up to learn more about them? I know the basics, in that they're sort of like Monsanto if Monsanto also owned most of central america and tended to sacrifice unsatisfactory employees to blood spirits, but not much beyond that. I'd like something that goes as deep as possible into the lore behind them and current events around them -- for example, I have no idea what's going on in the Yucatan (can you still tan there?) or who provides security on Aztech corporate ground.

And relevant to the discussion: Used 'ware fits a starting shadowrun character really well, yes. But one thing that always sort of bothered me was that used Alphaware is exactly as good as regular off-the-shelf gear (with the same essence cost) for 90% of the price. I'm sort of astounded that nobody did anything about this in the new edition. I mean I guess it's kind of thematic that if you know what you want and can find a black clinic that happens to have the right brand of giant robot arms you can get a crazy deal, but I don't like it when there are somewhat obtuse ways to get the (mechanically) exact same thing for less money in character generation.

Used Alphaware isn't a thing. It's either Used or it's Alphaware.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Used is it's own category now. In the past, you could get Used standard or Alpha grade, but that has been changed to only standard. Even if the cyber you buy and install had previously been Delta in someone else, it counts as Used standard for you since it was made specifically for them.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The 4E supplement Corporate Guide has a whole chapter dedicated to Aztechnology along with the other AAAs. (Not Corporate Intrigue like I said earlier :doh:)

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Bull (the SR Missions coordinator) released a Missions eratta that is recognized as official until the real eratta is approved by Catalyst:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12034805/SRM5%20Hot%20Patch%20Errata%20v1.0.pdf

It's just a quick fix, but should lay some groundwork for things that were omitted from the rules (like Background Count).

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 7, 2013

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

riggsninja posted:

So I'm not sure how much use this is to anyone else, or if there's something else like this already out there, but I put together a spreadsheet for creating SR5 characters.

It'll calculate your limits and knowledge skills, all that junk, but you'll have to do most augmented stuff manually. I'm also still working my through the rules so there may still be mistakes.

Let me know what you think.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqqN7iDNBDXqdEhrSTlvM2xXOFdwT2RpekQtSl9acWc#gid=0

You need to "File > Make a copy" before you can start filling stuff out.

Works good. Issue, though: Contains no area for Contacts, nor the free points for buying contacts (Charisma x3)

- It also allows me to set, say, "Skills", to multiple priorities.

- Allows me to choose Troll if I have race at the wrong priority.

- Text alignment between cells H24-26 and H27-28 are different. This isn't a bug, it just bothers me.

- Limits aren't being calculated with augmentations factored in.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 7, 2013

riggsninja
Jan 15, 2006
If you set two priorities to the same thing, it will take the higher priority and ignore the other one(s). My excel-fu is pretty weak, so I'm not sure how to get data validation on it tighter than that off hand, and I intended it more a tool for tinkering with stats rather than anything bullet proof, so I'll probably leave it as is for now. Same goes for picking trolls.

I'll take at look at the other issues later when I get some time. I can set it so you get -1 special attributes if you pick a race you shouldn't be allowed to.

If someone smarter than me wants to a took a look at the data validation they're welcome to.

riggsninja fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 7, 2013

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Rules question:

Let's say I take two skills at creation, for example Disguise and Sneaking each at rank 4.

Later on, I throw a bunch of karma into a hole and buy Palming up to 4. I now have all three skills in one group at the same rank, does that mean I can begin advancing it as a group?

Short version, I know you can break up a group and recombine it later, but can you combine three skills you've never taken as a group?

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

dirtycajun posted:

Just as an aside, at character creation choose high lifestyle. It's the only lifestyle where you can make money back at character creation, up to 50% more in fact!

Unless you are a troll.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Deviant posted:

Rules question:

Let's say I take two skills at creation, for example Disguise and Sneaking each at rank 4.

Later on, I throw a bunch of karma into a hole and buy Palming up to 4. I now have all three skills in one group at the same rank, does that mean I can begin advancing it as a group?

Short version, I know you can break up a group and recombine it later, but can you combine three skills you've never taken as a group?

I haven't read my 5E a whole lot, but I'm pretty sure I read that that was possible! As long as you have them at the same rating, of course.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Tias posted:

I haven't read my 5E a whole lot, but I'm pretty sure I read that that was possible! As long as you have them at the same rating, of course.

We're not sure. I need a page number I can hurl at someone on this one, unfortunatley. All we can find for certain is that you can re-combine a previously broken group.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Tias posted:

Also, you have all kinds of nanoimmunosupression drugs and type Owen bones, so there is that to say for easy transplants!

What is a "type Owen bone"?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
You sure can, PG 129:

Skill groups are a collection of skills (usually three,
but sometimes four) based around a core concept.
For example, the Outdoors skill group brings together
Navigation, Survival, and Tracking, all the sort of skills
an outdoorsman would have. You can purchase a skill
group for less than it costs to take the three skills individually.
Having a skill group at a certain rating is
the same as having the three skills in the skill group at
that rating. For example, if you’ve got Outdoors 5 and
you’re trying to track a basilisk through the forests of
the Salish-Shidhe Council, you’d roll as though you had
Tracking 5 because it’s part of the Outdoors skill group.
Skill group advancement uses special rules. If you
want to advance one skill from the group without advancing
the rest, the skill group is broken and and you
get each of the skills in the group at the former group
rating; then you can increase one of the skills. If you
want to get the skill group back (or get a new one), you
must first get all of the skills in the group to the same
rating.
For more detailed information, see Character Advancement,
p. 103.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Edit: Same info.

As a side question: how common are Astral wards in the world? I've got a mage in the party who just took Quickening and I want to be able to describe to him where he can and can't go without losing his karma investment in spells.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 7, 2013

Tias
May 25, 2008

That's the one!

Hypha posted:

What is a "type Owen bone"?

I just figured you could get type Owen bones, the same way you could get it in organs. For instance, a character with type O system quality would have type Owen bones, no?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

You sure can, PG 129:

Skill groups are a collection of skills (usually three,
but sometimes four) based around a core concept.
For example, the Outdoors skill group brings together
Navigation, Survival, and Tracking, all the sort of skills
an outdoorsman would have. You can purchase a skill
group for less than it costs to take the three skills individually.
Having a skill group at a certain rating is
the same as having the three skills in the skill group at
that rating. For example, if you’ve got Outdoors 5 and
you’re trying to track a basilisk through the forests of
the Salish-Shidhe Council, you’d roll as though you had
Tracking 5 because it’s part of the Outdoors skill group.
Skill group advancement uses special rules. If you
want to advance one skill from the group without advancing
the rest, the skill group is broken and and you
get each of the skills in the group at the former group
rating; then you can increase one of the skills. If you
want to get the skill group back (or get a new one), you
must first get all of the skills in the group to the same
rating.
For more detailed information, see Character Advancement,
p. 103.

But what if you've never had them as a group?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Tias posted:

That's the one!

I just figured you could get type Owen bones, the same way you could get it in organs. For instance, a character with type O system quality would have type Owen bones, no?

Oh, it is a lore thingy. My lore knowledge for Shadowrun sucks, so I don't know what is a type O system and all that jazz yet. I just started learning about this game and pre-ordered the book (5E).

Tias
May 25, 2008

Type O is not yet a thing in 5E, but in 4E it was, poorly paraphrased since I don't have my book: Organs or people made of universally transplantable, non-allergenic cells, the basis for most bioware. For a high cost you could buy the Type Owen System quality at character creation, which imparted some serious bonuses with regards to augmentation (but also made you a ripe target for ripper crews, since all your organs could be implanted in everybody).

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Deviant posted:

But what if you've never had them as a group?

Bolded part mentions "Or get a new one", should be fine.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

TriggerHappy posted:

Bolded part mentions "Or get a new one", should be fine.

Me am can read good.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Right. Aside from Stealth and MAYBE Influence the skill groups suck anyway so it shouldn't really be a big deal.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Looks like for the spreadsheet above, the money priority is being done wrong. As I moved money from A to E, it went 450,000->27,500->140,000->50,000->6,000.

You missed a zero, I think on D.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Tias posted:

Type O is not yet a thing in 5E, but in 4E it was, poorly paraphrased since I don't have my book: Organs or people made of universally transplantable, non-allergenic cells, the basis for most bioware. For a high cost you could buy the Type Owen System quality at character creation, which imparted some serious bonuses with regards to augmentation (but also made you a ripe target for ripper crews, since all your organs could be implanted in everybody).

In that case, this would probably work too. I am coming up with more systems of how it might be possible than otherwise. It is definitely simpler when you got a kind of universal donor tissue.

riggsninja
Jan 15, 2006

Deviant posted:

Looks like for the spreadsheet above, the money priority is being done wrong. As I moved money from A to E, it went 450,000->27,500->140,000->50,000->6,000.

You missed a zero, I think on D.

Good catch. Missing 0 is on B, should be 275,000.

Here's the new spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqqN7iDNBDXqdDQ2UTJ0eEo4MTJvTEs5YnhxUjRDN2c&usp=sharing

-the missing 0 is fixed
-there's a section for contacts now
-limits will use Augmented values now
-fixed an alignment thing (initiative)
-Magic is now affected by essence loss (under the augmented column)
-Special attribute bonus will be -1 if you've picked a race you dont have the priority for.

I tried to add special formatting to highlight errors like selecting the same priority twice or the wrong race, but apperently that only exists in excel, not google docs, sorry.

riggsninja fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 7, 2013

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

riggsninja posted:

Good catch. Missing 0 is on B, should be 275,000.

Here's the new spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqqN7iDNBDXqdDQ2UTJ0eEo4MTJvTEs5YnhxUjRDN2c&usp=sharing

-the missing 0 is fixed
-there's a section for contacts now
-limits will use Augmented values now
-fixed an alignment thing (initiative)
-Magic is now affected by essence loss (under the augmented column)
-Special attribute bonus will be -1 if you've picked a race you dont have the priority for.

I tried to add special formatting to highlight errors like selecting the same priority twice or the wrong race, but apperently that only exists in excel, not google docs, sorry.

I was going to say "Conditional Formatting" until you said google docs. If you're going to grow this project, you may have to go to .xlsx and maybe dropbox or something to store it.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Laphroaig posted:

Edit: Same info.

As a side question: how common are Astral wards in the world? I've got a mage in the party who just took Quickening and I want to be able to describe to him where he can and can't go without losing his karma investment in spells.

In Chicago? Not very. But you do get pockets of FABIII, and wandering around with a permanent spell in that setting will mean catching FABIII, which means choosing between killing the spell and eventually losing all of his magic.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Laphroaig posted:

Think of them as “special clearance" areas of astral security. For any area where even regular employees would be locked out because the stuff inside needs more security and privacy than letting every Tom, Dick and Harry waltz through, a ward is a reasonable thing to expect. The same goes for any kind of establishment that qualifies as “secure".

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Bigass Moth posted:

Bull (the SR Missions coordinator) released a Missions eratta that is recognized as official until the real eratta is approved by Catalyst:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12034805/SRM5%20Hot%20Patch%20Errata%20v1.0.pdf

It's just a quick fix, but should lay some groundwork for things that were omitted from the rules (like Background Count).

"Alpha-, Beta-, and Delta-grade cyber is all custom-fitted and tailored to a specific individual, and implanting it in someone else eliminates the bonus it got for its tailored status." is at odds with previous editions. Page 32, augmentation:

quote:

Only standard and alpha-grade cyberware is available as second-hand cyberware. Beta- and deltaware implants are too custom-tailored and modified to be fitted to anyone other than the person they were originally designed for.

A lot of module writers took advantage of this and would equip all the NPCs with betaware so PCs couldn't steal their ware.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tias posted:

This was named after the first person it was discovered had this quality, his biomass is now technically the largest living thing on the planet (just divided up into a whole bunch of people).

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Gobbeldygook posted:

"Alpha-, Beta-, and Delta-grade cyber is all custom-fitted and tailored to a specific individual, and implanting it in someone else eliminates the bonus it got for its tailored status." is at odds with previous editions. Page 32, augmentation:

A lot of module writers took advantage of this and would equip all the NPCs with betaware so PCs couldn't steal their ware.

The only change I see is that Alpha is added to the list. Don't really see it as an issue?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
No, that's not the change. Previously, Beta and Delta grade cyber was unsalvageable. Now, it can be salvaged, just like Alpha and Standard, and resold as Used.

I'm not sure if it's really an 'issue'. I've never run in a standard module, nor considered grabbing an NPC corpse for 'ware harvesting.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

ProfessorCirno posted:

The only change I see is that Alpha is added to the list. Don't really see it as an issue?
Alpha being on the list is a dumb change, but the real change is that you can use looted beta or delta-ware. Beta and deltaware simply did not work at all for anyone besides who it was designed for. It's a dumb change because giving enemies betaware was a great way to keep players from making more money off chop-shopping their enemies than they did on the runs themselves while also properly-equipping enemies. It can also be justified in-world; wageslaves can't sell their corporate betaware and there's no incentive for people to chopshop people with betaware either, so it acts as loss prevention.

The 4E Missions FAQ banned looting enemies for 'ware which would be why the Bull thinks that isn't an actual change. He hasn't had to think about PCs chop-shopping enemies since all of his campaigns just banned the practice.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

To be honest, chop shopping a guy is a lot of work. First you have to have a friendly and willing cyberdoc, even the obvious stuff like cyberlimbs and cybereyes have tons of easily damaged components that will break if you just rip them out or go crazy with a surgical laser. Then they have to basically reverse the surgical procedure to install the thing in the first place, leaving you with your scratch and dent special.

Now, even considering that you're working on a corpse and so don't need to provide anesthetic or replacement blood or organs, that still takes time and costs money. If you're doing it yourself (we're assuming for the sake of argument here that you're not) that's still time you're not out shooting corps and ripping off more liquid assets. If you're not, then that's time the cyberdoc isn't working on other paying customers.

So best case scenario, you get a guy who agrees to do the work for a cut of the money once it sells. Now... how do you sell it? Your fixer probably isn't going to want it, it's used cyberware, and you certainly can't sell it legally, since it probably has all kinds of corp barcodes and stuff all over it. So now you're back selling it to the cyberdoc who just took it out so he can shove it in someone else!

Essentially, you'll be lucky if you get a 'finders fee' out of all of this realistically, since all you did was drag the parts to the guy who is going to do all the real work. Since used 'ware is used 'ware the price is going to be pretty low... and according to SR5e when you fence stolen goods to your contacts, you get 5% of the price times their loyalty. So even the most expensive 'ware is, well, it's only worth a few grand at most. You'll be able to pay a few months bills with it (unless you like living the High or Luxury lifestyles) but it's not really worth the extra effort of dragging an oozing bloody corpse out from wherever you just hit on the chance that the guy has wired reflexes or synthacardium or whatever and wasn't just an adept or something with now useless organs full of bullet holes.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Kwyndig posted:

To be honest, chop shopping a guy is a lot of work. First you have to have a friendly and willing cyberdoc, even the obvious stuff like cyberlimbs and cybereyes have tons of easily damaged components that will break if you just rip them out or go crazy with a surgical laser.
I usually just cast Turn to Goo and pull the ware out. :devil:

Edit: The spell is not on 5e, but I am betting its return on the supplement.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Used Alphaware isn't a thing. It's either Used or it's Alphaware.

Gobbeldygook posted:

"Alpha-, Beta-, and Delta-grade cyber is all custom-fitted and tailored to a specific individual, and implanting it in someone else eliminates the bonus it got for its tailored status."

Bigass Moth posted:

Used is it's own category now. In the past, you could get Used standard or Alpha grade, but that has been changed to only standard. Even if the cyber you buy and install had previously been Delta in someone else, it counts as Used standard for you since it was made specifically for them.

Well, hell, I guess they did fix it then. Thanks for clearing up my inability to read, guys. :) And thanks to the people who posted links to the information I was looking for, too.