Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I think the main thing with the nanites that differs them from the bugs is that they're a) not antagonistic by default, and b) not united by any sense. That's not even going into the weird hybrid poo poo that was hinted at in the book with an adept not only finding a way to communicate with their own virus but outright merge their personalities.

I mean, it's the same as the bugs in the sense of "that dude isn't the dude you think he is" and "LOL BOSTON," but the bugs were a malevolent invasion that required magical ritual to implant and were pushed onto the poor through a creepy cult, whereas the nanites are an amoral infection that can hit anyone. I think it's different enough to do some new cool stuff with.

Boo on bringing back Deus though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
Well, you know how much nerds love their callbacks and shoutouts.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Now we just need Harlequin to hand the mission to the PCs.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ProfessorCirno posted:

I think the main thing with the nanites that differs them from the bugs is that they're a) not antagonistic by default, and b) not united by any sense. That's not even going into the weird hybrid poo poo that was hinted at in the book with an adept not only finding a way to communicate with their own virus but outright merge their personalities.

I mean, it's the same as the bugs in the sense of "that dude isn't the dude you think he is" and "LOL BOSTON," but the bugs were a malevolent invasion that required magical ritual to implant and were pushed onto the poor through a creepy cult, whereas the nanites are an amoral infection that can hit anyone. I think it's different enough to do some new cool stuff with.

Boo on bringing back Deus though.

The nanites still require a malevolent AI personality to actually cause Headcrash, and are effectively identical. Insect Spirit Queen + workers = AI + headcrash victims, with the Bug Shaman and Dissonant Technomancer standing in as the relatively normal hand driving the expansion of either. It's getting silly.

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Last I checked it seemed that you had to buy the full SR Chronicles: Boston Lockdown game to be able to purchase the PDF. Did they change that?

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

As far as I know it's still only DLC for Shadowrun Chronicles.

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Cool, thanks.

I've been back and forth about picking up Chronicles. I may just wait for a bit, and see if the book goes up on DTRPG.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Liquid Communism posted:

The nanites still require a malevolent AI personality to actually cause Headcrash, and are effectively identical. Insect Spirit Queen + workers = AI + headcrash victims, with the Bug Shaman and Dissonant Technomancer standing in as the relatively normal hand driving the expansion of either. It's getting silly.

I mean like I said the Deus thing is real dumb, but at least last I checked, the virus isn't taking orders from the AI, nor is it spread by the AI at this point. The way the infection works is that one (or more, or WAY more) personalities are inside the nanites that infect you; on infection they slowly rewrite your brain to take over, though it doesn't work on HMHVV. Sometimes weird poo poo happens, like the host finding a way to communicate with the virus and instead merging their personalities together. Other times the multiple personalities start to fight with each other and poo poo gets bad fast. But the point is that each individual infected is different because they're not a hivemind. Likewise the actual infection isn't done at the behest of a central figure - once the virus was unleashed it simply began to spread on it's own. The bugs needed to implant the bug spirit in you personally.

...Now, if that's changed then a major boo on them. But if it hasn't, that's absolutely different.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

From the new stuff in Lockdown the virus (at least the Boston variant) is the result of the nanites each having varying proportions of the consciousness of the two warring AIs, Deus and Cerebus, so yeah. :smith:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 8, 2015

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Deus has to feel like such a loving chump, is there a single AI at full strength he HAS been able to beat?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
looking at run and gun and Universal Mirror Material seems pretty...good. Take forearm guards (or really any light armour), YNT softweave, rating 6 UMM and then put your comlink in, never worry about hackers again? Or is there something there that bites you in the arse, like it turns out you can't transmit out either?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

thatbastardken posted:

looking at run and gun and Universal Mirror Material seems pretty...good. Take forearm guards (or really any light armour), YNT softweave, rating 6 UMM and then put your comlink in, never worry about hackers again? Or is there something there that bites you in the arse, like it turns out you can't transmit out either?

It doesn't matter either way, because hackers have no teeth against individuals. They are nothing to fear.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

see I don't bother reading the hacking rules, so they stay a scary mystery to me.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

thatbastardken posted:

see I don't bother reading the hacking rules, so they stay a scary mystery to me.

Hackers are a threat to institutions and organizations, but not to individuals in a combat scenario. In the time it would take a hacker to do serious harm to you by hacking, you will have pumped no less than two dozen bullets into his frail, goony body.

E: I mean, unless the hacker is played how I play hackers, which is surrounded with drones dropping suppression fire everywhere, but they're still not loving with your PAN.

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 13, 2015

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I'm glad the custom lifestyle rules came out in run faster so I can finally craft my hellhole lair with excellent internet access.

Ed: also, is there rules for living in a vehicle. I just need to know if living in your van counts for the purposes of the squatter rule in the Hobo with Shotgun quality.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 13, 2015

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Ronwayne posted:

I'm glad the custom lifestyle rules came out in run faster so I can finally craft my hellhole lair with excellent internet access.

Ed: also, is there rules for living in a vehicle. I just need to know if living in your van counts for the purposes of the squatter rule in the Hobo with Shotgun quality.

There's a "traveller" lifestyle, which I think is a better fit.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Well, I read Run Faster to look that up and while scrolling through it I did a thing I had long since swore I would never do again.

I read the opening chapter fiction. Exalted alone should've broken me of that habit, but low and behold there's this wonderful gem (apologies if this has already been posted.)

quote:

Included with the chair was an aftermarket Senpaitek Kangofu medkit with vitals monitoring and a self-changing IV abilities, the best friend a decker or technomancer could have when delving deep into the Matrix and beyond for days at a time.
The biggest drawback was the catheter, but it there really was no way around using it if you wanted to get things done properly

:stonk: :psyduck: :barf:

It goes on and on about her discovering erotic fanfic written about herself making out with a toaster and just all the ways you can be an even worse goon in the future.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Poopsocking...has evolved.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Hacking the gibson and flying through the dystopian cyberfuture with a spout in my peehole.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

I guess it beats suspending yourself over a bucket.

Honestly though, what's so distasteful about it? Someone going deep online for long period of time is pretty common in the fiction of the genre and you gotta do something with the waste.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
That opening fiction is actually one big weird referential joke to something from various Shadowrun forums and nobody is actually sure how it got started. It started as one of the Shadowrun writers making about about their own fiction, and how he was gonna have one of the in-setting characters write Netcat slashfic with a toaster as a joke. Then Bull jokingly stated he could go ahead and do it if they could get enough people to promise to buy it, and it somehow snowballed from there.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
"Dare you enter my technomantic realm?"

Isn't there a symbiont or bioeare for this sort of thing?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

QuantumNinja posted:

I made some character sheets for my group. They're still a little rough in places, but way less gradient-ugly than the ones linked there. (Feedback is welcome.)

This is a really nice sheet, I think. I'm sort of document dumb, but is there a way to make it so I can type on it instead of write on it?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Swags posted:

This is a really nice sheet, I think. I'm sort of document dumb, but is there a way to make it so I can type on it instead of write on it?

It's possible, but I'd have to modify the LaTeX for it. I'm willing to post the code for the document if you want to do it.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Swags posted:

Why not just use chummer5a if you're typing anyway?

Edit: not that the char sheet isn't cool looking :)

IntelligibleChoir fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 19, 2015

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

IntelligibleChoir posted:

Why not just use chummer5a if you're typing anyway?

Edit: not that the char sheet isn't cool looking :)

Because I hate Chummer and the sheets it prints are lovely.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Adepts can get any sense available from cyberware (other than those which provide a dice bonus to perception or require wireless) with the Improved Sense power.

Ultrasound is available as a piece of cyberware, treated as the sensor with a maximum rating of 6.

So far so good - the rating doesn't affect a dice pool, it gives you a limit when using that sensor. But does an adept need to buy Improved Sense: Ultrasound six times to get the maximum rating? It's not exactly a cheap piece of ware at 12,000Y/rating.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

Adepts can get any sense available from cyberware (other than those which provide a dice bonus to perception or require wireless) with the Improved Sense power.

Ultrasound is available as a piece of cyberware, treated as the sensor with a maximum rating of 6.

So far so good - the rating doesn't affect a dice pool, it gives you a limit when using that sensor. But does an adept need to buy Improved Sense: Ultrasound six times to get the maximum rating? It's not exactly a cheap piece of ware at 12,000Y/rating.

Per HeroLab it's a one-time 0.25 PP expense to get the Improved Sense: Ultrasound Sensor power.

EDIT: I'd imagine the limit would become your Mental limit, since that governs Perception.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Doc Dee posted:

Per HeroLab it's a one-time 0.25 PP expense to get the Improved Sense: Ultrasound Sensor power.

EDIT: I'd imagine the limit would become your Mental limit, since that governs Perception.

That makes sense.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Limit for magical things is typically Magic isn't it?

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Swags posted:

Limit for magical things is typically Magic isn't it?

That would make sense.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Is there any character generator with a Sum to Ten way of generating? I don't think HeroLab has that yet, or if it does I can't find it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Swags posted:

Is there any character generator with a Sum to Ten way of generating? I don't think HeroLab has that yet, or if it does I can't find it.

Chummer 5e can do it!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sum to 10 is already in there? Did they add the Infected? Or Lifepaths yet?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

ProfessorCirno posted:

Chummer 5e can do it!

I just downloaded/installed Chummer again and it's not in there.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
This one?

Should be the first thing you do on making a character, choosing what sorta chargen to use.

It's possible you're using an older version; the guy making up ended up vanishing, so a new crew took over.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I hope they eventually get the alternative generation rules so we can use the life choice system that I forget the name of. I love the idea of it, but gently caress doing shadowrun chargen without chummer

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Swags posted:

Hero Lab does it, but IIRC you have to buy their Run Faster pack to be able to use any of the alt creation methods.

Since it costs almost as much as the -book-, screw that.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Hero Lab does it, but IIRC you have to buy their Run Faster pack to be able to use any of the alt creation methods.

Since it costs almost as much as the -book-, screw that.

I'm pretty sure this is wrong since I have the Run Faster module and can't build them that way.

Edit: Actually just checked the site. They have the races and qualities right now, but not the char gen methods yet. They'll be coming along later.

Also, it's only ten bucks. It's far cheaper than the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Also, anyone who doesn't have Shadowrun Returns, you can buy it on Steam right now for 3 bucks.