Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Travis343 posted:

I think you mean to say that the art is kind of horrifying at first. I'm actually redoing the entire first chapter because I stupidly drew it at something like 3x5 inches and a bunch of them are inconsistently sized. I'm taking the opportunity to bring the art more in-line with the latest pages.

Thanks to everybody who commented on my comic! I think being compared to Cucumber Quest is about the highest praise I've ever received.

Be careful about that! Redrawing chapters is supposed to be an artistic deathtrap, never hear good things about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Pavlov posted:

Be careful about that! Redrawing chapters is supposed to be an artistic deathtrap, never hear good things about it.

If it's just a matter of fixing sizing issues I think it'll be okay.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm definitely not letting it take up any time for moving forward. I also have a prologue chapter I'm working on but same deal with that - I only work on it when I have the free time from new pages. Which is hardly ever.

faxmaster
Nov 1, 2004

I can see all of the colors.
Dang it, I found my comic in Barnes and Noble and the thread title isn't "Now Found in Barnes & Noble" any more.

Totally missed my opportunity.

Still psyched to see it in stores though. What a crazy thing.

faxmaster fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 10, 2013

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Shoulda signed it.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Whoah. New Achewood. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08092013

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

I have to say, "(c) 2013 Chris Onstad" is not one of the things I expected to ever see.

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world
If Achewood has truly returned, I will never feel sorrow again.

e: look at the alt text

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008
Hey, what happened to Templar Arizona? I haven't been able to access the site for a long time.

Rhontos
Oct 19, 2011

The site looks perfectly fine to me.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
This week was a good week for webcomics that have been going a while.

Nedroid: still charmingly good.

SMBC: still funny.

Buttersafe: still has its unique timing.

And for contrast:

Sinfest: still preachy.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
I vaguely remember there being a Webcomics Thread IRC, is that still around? Couldn't see it in the OP

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

irc.synirc.net #webcomics but it's been pretty much a ghost town the last few times I was in.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Most cartoonists have found it less stressful to just communicate directly with each other over Skype and Google Hangouts to relax or talk shop, rather than meet up in a public space where random elements could come in and cause problems. Specifically, offensive and confrontational behavior, as well as talking about subjects and topics that we were just not interested in discussing. And once the readers start to outnumber the artists, it gets to a point where the artists are no longer comfortable sharing certain things. That's just my perspective, however.

If you're a reader and you're looking for a chatroom, I'm not sure what to say. There must be places. I've not bothered to look because I got tired of the webcomics chatroom cycle of Cartoonists start chatroom -> Great discussion happens -> Readers show up -> Discussion still going okay -> Readers bring their friends in -> Chatroom mutates into unreadable garbage. If a chatroom was started that was just for readers I think it could probably be a good place of discussion for them.

I think it can be tough though, because a real-time medium means that benign discussions can become immediately and needlessly hostile depending on who comes in and what the topic is. Achewood, for example, would be very difficult to discuss in a chatroom right now without it disintegrating into people flinging poo poo at each other, because that's how strong the opinions are on both sides. And on a forum, you can meter your words, and edit your posts, but in a chatroom, it's gonna end in people saying things they wish they could take back.

IRC may be a thing that technology has made irrelevant. Open a discussion window with your various Skype contacts and you basically have a chatroom right there, which you can curate and invite people in at your discretion. If you find yourself enjoying reading the thread and having good discussions about certain webcomics, consider getting in touch with those people on Skype or Google Messenger and getting their info and starting up a Skype Conversation or Hangout Chat and then build from there.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 11, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

Achewood, for example, would be very difficult to discuss in a chatroom right now without it disintegrating into people flinging poo poo at each other, because that's how strong the opinions are on both sides.
Look, we all just need to calm down and wait for the next strip to see how it turns out.

Which should be sometime in 2015 or so based on the release schedule of the least few strips.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Kismet posted:

irc.synirc.net #webcomics but it's been pretty much a ghost town the last few times I was in.

Added this to the OP. We'll see how it goes.

I also went ahead and created the Goon-Made comics section; please let me know any I've missed.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I love Achewood but every strip released since about 2009 has increasingly felt like somebody other than Onstad trying way too hard to write in his voice. It feels like Achewood fanfiction. I think I would love to read something new from him, but I wish he would let Achewood go.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

I also went ahead and created the Goon-Made comics section; please let me know any I've missed.

I just want to say you've written a better elevator pitch for Mythos than anything I've ever come up with, so thanks (and I might steal it).

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Kismet posted:

I just want to say you've written a better elevator pitch for Mythos than anything I've ever come up with, so thanks (and I might steal it).

Feel free. Mythos was easy, since I've been reading it from the first page you posted. Some of the others are trickier; I didn't want to delay posting them too much, so I've only read about 20-30 pages of each. (Widdershins, for instance, clearly deserves a better description than I've given it.) I'll try to update the descriptions as I read more, or other people can suggest improvements.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

idonotlikepeas posted:

Dead Winter.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hasn't Spike from Templar, AZ posted here in the past? Or am I nuts?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

idonotlikepeas posted:

Astral Aves is by Space-Bird.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend

Pick posted:

Hasn't Spike from Templar, AZ posted here in the past? Or am I nuts?

She has, frequently. She was also in the old IRC channel, when it was still kicking.

I left the IRC channel because some of the readers turning up there were creeps and made me uncomfortable, but it was already kind of disintegrating by then.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

idonotlikepeas posted:

Added this to the OP. We'll see how it goes.

I'm still technically a goon! http://yousuckthecomic.com/

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

SuperHappy posted:

I'm still technically a goon! http://yousuckthecomic.com/

Oh hey, I love your comics! Didn't know you were a goon

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

Rhontos posted:

The site looks perfectly fine to me.

Hmm, strange, haven't been able to access it for at least 4 days and now it is back up....

Must have been on my end for some strange reason.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
All the disinterested lurking! All for this moment! Oglaf is a two-parter this week!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Those first two panels basically define my marriage

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Phy posted:

Those first two panels basically define my marriage

Which one are you?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Zereth posted:

Look, we all just need to calm down and wait for the next strip to see how it turns out.

Which should be sometime in 2015 or so based on the release schedule of the least few strips.

Please just ignore this if it's just a big can of worms, but is there some sort of drama associated with achewood or its author? I occasionally see people mentioning that but at the same time it appears to be a well-liked comic. Just a short explanation or a link will do.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

All the disinterested lurking! All for this moment! Oglaf is a two-parter this week!

I was going to post that! That exact thing! You stole my moment!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Blackheart posted:

Please just ignore this if it's just a big can of worms, but is there some sort of drama associated with achewood or its author? I occasionally see people mentioning that but at the same time it appears to be a well-liked comic. Just a short explanation or a link will do.
He took pre-orders for a cookbook and then nothing happened and his store disappeared. Also, his output is now glacial. He went through a divorce somewhere in here, so it's kinda understandable, but...

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Blackheart posted:

The short version is that he basically decided to stop doing Achewood, only instead of saying he decided to stop doing Achewood, he kept insisting that he was still doing it, but didn't actually do it.

Some people are also upset because they pre-ordered a cookbook from him before all this happened, and those orders haven't been fulfilled, meaning he basically stole their money. Unless he comes up with a bunch of cookbooks next week, which could theoretically happen. Who knows? In practice, though, this is pretty shady.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

He keeps claiming he's going to start it again and then posts a strip or three and then SEE YOU NEXT YEAR.

Also, he's working on an Achewood animated series. No idea how that's going.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Zereth posted:

He keeps claiming he's going to start it again and then posts a strip or three and then SEE YOU NEXT YEAR.

Also, he's working on an Achewood animated series. No idea how that's going.

So he's basically Ryan Sohmer with talent?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RickoniX posted:

He's apparently got pretty severe depression and the few bits of material we see from him are just products of his brief manic spikes. He doesn't have the delusions of entrepreneurship that Sohmer clings to.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

RickoniX posted:

No, he's a different person with a different set of priorities and obligations, and a different history of interaction with his audience. There's a difference between respecting someone enough to let some failings slide and letting someone off the hook just because you like their work, and I get the sense that a lot of the strong feelings around Achewood come from somewhere closer to the former. It's perfectly possible to let people down without being a cynical money grubber (Der-Shing Helmer, Tessa Stone) or to upset an audience while approaching your work in good faith (John Campbell). I don't really have a stake in the conversation on either side, having never read Achewood myself, but it doesn't seem very productive to treat creators' intentions as if they all align to in-jokey archetypes.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

It's really hard for me to be mad at Onstad because Achewood was so consistently amazing for so long, and a lot of his issues came out in the comic in a way I could always relate to.

Dianasaur Go!
Jun 10, 2004

too soon from the cave
too far from the stars

idonotlikepeas posted:

Just a heads-up for the new thread! I draw Girlbot, but I changed my username.

Commissar posted:

I vaguely remember there being a Webcomics Thread IRC, is that still around? Couldn't see it in the OP
Like others have said, the cool cartoonist chat got drowned out by some creeps and also readers who just didn't have much of relevance to contribute, so the cartoonists all trickled out of there. By the time I left, it was pretty much entirely dead, except for the occasional link to a picture of something gross. It's a shame, since I met some cool people in there, some of whom eventually became real-life friends, but I've switched to Twitter and Skype for all my art chat needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?
Hey, a new thread!

I draw Rusty & Co., a fantasy parody now entering its seventh story arc. This is the arc where I start integrating all the Kickstarter cameos, so it should be pretty weird.

• Locked thread