Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuna_Fish_Odyssey
May 15, 2013
Out of curiosity, has anyone else been listening to Kris Straub's and Mikey Neumann's Chainsawsuit podcast? It usually been really funny, but today's got kinda real. They talk about depression, childhood trauma, MRAs, unplanned pregnancies, and other heavy stuff. Kris and Mikey seem like really insightful guys, and I think it's worth a listen.

http://chainsawsuit.com/2013/08/12/the-chainsawsuit-podcast-episode-16-honesty/#idc-container

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Zereth posted:

He keeps claiming he's going to start it again and then posts a strip or three and then SEE YOU NEXT YEAR.

Also, he's working on an Achewood animated series. No idea how that's going.

That semi-pilot thing was kind of bad, too. Toby Hess over-acting Ray murdered the poo poo out of the pacing of Onstad's jokes.

I still like Onstad, and I'm patient. That said, it gets really annoying and worrying when a creator does the whole "updates soon, going through stuff," phase, because 99% of the time it's the kiss of death for a comic. You can just say "hiatus" and I'll be happy, since yes, a divorce is a hell of a goddamned thing to go through and I don't need jokes about a meth-addicted squirrel in my life that much that I will be a screaming fatbeard over it.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tuna_Fish_Odyssey posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone else been listening to Kris Straub's and Mikey Neumann's Chainsawsuit podcast? It usually been really funny, but today's got kinda real. They talk about depression, childhood trauma, MRAs, unplanned pregnancies, and other heavy stuff. Kris and Mikey seem like really insightful guys, and I think it's worth a listen.

http://chainsawsuit.com/2013/08/12/the-chainsawsuit-podcast-episode-16-honesty/#idc-container

One of those two sure likes to use the word "dark" a lot.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Questionable Jeph Jacques has a Kickstarter going, and it's not for his comic. It's already funded by the way.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
This is only kinda related to webcomics I guess, but everybody should really watch Scott Kurtz and Kris Straub's ongoing Mappy series for ShiftyLook. It's like their old Blamimations only with old arcade game characters, and it really cracks me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOUMrTPUw_g

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Just thought I should mention that Broodhollow's Kickstarter has a little less than a day and a half left. Get in now before you miss out on what will probably be an awesome comic book!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today's Nimona is great :haw:

Today's Dumbing of Age features a mini-PUA :barf:

E: Also in today's comic news, Strong Female Protagonist has a fuckload of symbolism going on.

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 13, 2013

Sair
May 11, 2007

Bad Reputation has a gorgeous chapter title page up.

Dvega
Aug 2, 2006

The most magical song of all.
Glad yas likes it :tipshat:

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

idonotlikepeas posted:

I also went ahead and created the Goon-Made comics section; please let me know any I've missed.

Hey, I draw Beyond the Canopy!

Right now I've just been uploading guest comics while I work on stuff for Small Press Expo but I'll be getting into a new arc soon so check it out!

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

idonotlikepeas posted:

I also went ahead and created the Goon-Made comics section; please let me know any I've missed.

Angry Diplomat writes, and I illustrate The End, which is taking a week off because of a surprise hospital visit I had on Monday. Will resume next week, is about space espionage and neato aliens who have to deal with a bunch of nerds they abducted.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I know it has its own thread, but it's worth mentioning that the Broodhollow Kickstarter ends in an hour, last chance to grab extra free goodies with a pretty dang great comicbook.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Man, I was not ready for the shocking reveal in Beyond the Canopy, but it makes so much sense when you think about it.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Hey don't know if anybody has noticed but Emily Carroll has two new comics up (ish, one is quite short). More if you missed The 3 Snake Leaves.

Also in the OP I noticed Job Dog is in abandoned section. Is that a typo, as I had assumed it was telling a complete story.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
So there's this webcomic that's been going on for a few months now called Glam Rock Gorilla which seems pretty fun. The different plot threads aren't tied together yet but it might be worth following to see where it all goes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Paranatural continues to be absolutely amazing. (No context needed)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Blaine the Train posted:

Hey, I draw Beyond the Canopy!

Right now I've just been uploading guest comics while I work on stuff for Small Press Expo but I'll be getting into a new arc soon so check it out!

This is pretty boss. Added it.

raaaan posted:

Angry Diplomat writes, and I illustrate The End, which is taking a week off because of a surprise hospital visit I had on Monday. Will resume next week, is about space espionage and neato aliens who have to deal with a bunch of nerds they abducted.

Added! Hope you're feeling better.

Dvega posted:

Glad yas likes it :tipshat:

Do you work on Bad Reputation as well?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If you're updating the OP can I just point out that my username is Travis343 not Travis313. Thanks for putting Ellie in there, either way.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

No, you'll just have to change your username now. It's the only way. (Sorry about that!)

Tank!
Oct 29, 2008

idonotlikepeas posted:

Do you work on Bad Reputation as well?

He's my background artist, and he's the artist of this chapter's cover. I think it's gorgeous!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Today's Gunshow is something special.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Well, Guilded Age just took a turn for the darker.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

wiegieman posted:

Well, Guilded Age just took a turn for the darker.
Every time I start to let myself like GA again...

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
hey, so Ava's Demon is pretty good??

I've seen some complaints about the one-panel-a-page format, but that's kind of necessary in this instance. See, in a more traditional format, it's hard for the eye to focus on one panel exclusively, since it tends to wander around the image no matter what. Ava's format inserts artificial breaks between each panel because it uses the colour balance of every individual panel to tell its story.
See, every major character and/or concept has a particular colour assigned to them. Ava is carmine, Wrathia is pale orange, TITAN Industries is cobalt and so on. This matters because it extends to not just their body and speech bubbles, but their surroundings as well. Effectively, colour zones "expand out" of the characters wherever their sphere of influence falls. The comic shows this off in the very first pages:

Ava is just sitting around, the page is mostly monotone, in her colour. For the most part, she's at (relative) harmony.

But oh no, in comes Wrathia and callously intrudes into Ava's personal space. The whole colouring of the image shifts, and along with grabbing Ava by the arm, she effectively imposes her own colour space onto her. Note that as a result, Ava loses motor control over her own arm.
Notice also that outside of flashbacks, we only ever see her orange extend to Ava and her immediate surroundings. Contrast with the flashback to Wrathia's empire (whose entire sky is actually a mix of her orange and her husband's byzantium, which is cute) and TITAN, whom we've only seen on screen once, yet who basically made cobalt the default colour of the comic, and you get a strong visual shorthand showing just how little power she actually has at the moment.

Another simple example: When the scavengers arrive to wreck a planet, they bathe the entire place in pure red. Nowhere is safe! Well, at least until Odin closes the shutter on his spaceship and it becomes "his" (violet) domain again.

Gil as a child and in adulthood. Children in this story don't yet have a coherent central colour, but are diverse or partially reflect their environment. 15 years later, his indoctrination is so complete that he totally takes on TITAN's colour in every part of his body, his home, and so on. Even his skin changes slightly: The young version is a very matte and slightly subdued blue, but the older one has that trademark metallic sheen of every other blue surface in the comic.

Ava's main theme seems to be influence in a general sense, so this is all a pretty dynamic storytelling element. Look at Maggie:

Although she's clearly exerting power over Odin, he/the panel doesn't turn slightly greenish in response like they usually would in this situation. Ava's carmine is never actually seen outside of her body/mind, and Maggie is much the same way, which links them as isolated, or "outsider" type characters and hammers in further the hypocrisy of Maggie treating Ava like she's the weirdo. (Hell, in Maggie's case, not even her clothes seem to particularly agree with her.) Also, Odin is the only character with a secondary colour, as beside his family's violet he also is surrounded by spots of the red normally associated with the scavengers of all things.

Basically what I'm saying is that this comic's use of colour is super interesting and nearly on level with Cucumber Quest, if in a different way. It's just a shame the writing only gets up to the same level when Ava or Wrathia are on screen. Also, yeah, the author really needs to get some Javascript wizardry in there because the hideous loading times really throw off the otherwise very deliberately crafted pacing.

Terry van Feleday fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 17, 2013

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Terry van Feleday posted:

No, just really well drawn. These things are not the same thing. Sorry.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

It's funny because yesterday Hope Larson was saying yesterday she hopes someday people will realize you can't judge the art and the writing in comics separately.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
But why not?

Here are a few comics with the same writing and different art. Is there one that's better? Worse? Is the art made irrelevant so it should only be judged on its writing? Does this even support or contradict her point? I DUNNO

Anyway, there are some comics that are read purely for their art (Dresden Codak, Romantically Apocalyptic...) and others that are read purely for their writing (the aforementioned Dinosaur Comic, Irregular Webcomics, xkcd...). Sure there are comics where both art and writing are equally good (Gunnerkrigg Court) and others where both are equally bad (Dominic Deegan), but most don't fall neatly in the straight line between these two extremes.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Ava's Demon isn't alone in this, but for me it occupies that space where the writing and the pacing aren't enough to keep me reading serially but I would happily read it in book-sized chunks as they came out.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Do you know a webcomic I found recently that I liked? Nodwick.

I was first put on to it when MGK wrote a thing about it here. Essentially, it's about a group of adventurers, a warrior, mage, cleric, and the titular character, who is a hired henchman. It's mostly fantasy/light gag stuff with a lot of D&D humor, but apparently it acquires a more involved storyline later. I've been going through it recently; it's relatively inoffensive and pretty cute. It's written by Aaron Williams, and I believe it's finished now.

You can find it hosted on Do-Gooder Press, along with PS238 (science fiction, haven't read), Full Frontal Nerdity (nerd humor, haven't read), and Use Sword on Monster (another fantasy, read a little, think it's interesting and humorous if not exactly profound).

e: That's what I get for reading the bad run thread before this, I guess...

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 17, 2013

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Cat Mattress posted:

Anyway, there are some comics that are read purely for their art (Dresden Codak, Romantically Apocalyptic...) and others that are read purely for their writing (the aforementioned Dinosaur Comic, Irregular Webcomics, xkcd...). Sure there are comics where both art and writing are equally good (Gunnerkrigg Court) and others where both are equally bad (Dominic Deegan), but most don't fall neatly in the straight line between these two extremes.

This feels pretty spot on to me(in an abstract sense, not necessarily how/what you intended), like the examples you talked about, the writing and art aren't divorced from each other. Sometimes a crude drawing can enhance writing(as a punch line in and of itself) more than something beautifully rendered in it's place, really depends a lot on the context(spirit) of the work, what it's trying to convey and what we take away as an audience. As a weird example, would that webcomic with the horrible abortion joke and copy&paste art style be as funny to us as the audience if the creator was more skilled? would that make it better or worse? really not trying to advocate justifying his work, just that there's entertainment value there, sometimes it's in spite of creator intent and the art along with the writing make it that good(bad).

Sorry if that example comes off a bit muddled. In a really basic way you(everyone) can look at his work, why it's misguided, laugh at it but at the same time come away with a better understanding of just why this isn't how you approach a subject along the same lines, like the work itself did and that lesson(?) also has value.

brawleh fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 17, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

resurgam40 posted:

Do you know a webcomic I found recently that I liked? Nodwick.

I was first put on to it when MGK wrote a thing about it here. Essentially, it's about a group of adventurers, a warrior, mage, cleric, and the titular character, who is a hired henchman. It's mostly fantasy/light gag stuff with a lot of D&D humor, but apparently it acquires a more involved storyline later. I've been going through it recently; it's relatively inoffensive and pretty cute. It's written by Jason Aaron, and I believe it's finished now.

You can find it hosted on Do-Gooder Press, along with PS238 (science fiction, haven't read), Full Frontal Nerdity (nerd humor, haven't read), and Use Sword on Monster (another fantasy, read a little, think it's interesting and humorous if not exactly profound).

resurgam40 posted:

It's written by Jason Aaron
Aaron Williams. :v:

We briefly chatted about USOM in the previous thread. I recommend PS238, it's my favorite of Williams' offering. (And I don't particularly care for the superhero genre in general.)

Jason Aaron is another dude.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

AriadneThread posted:

Ava's Demon isn't alone in this, but for me it occupies that space where the writing and the pacing aren't enough to keep me reading serially but I would happily read it in book-sized chunks as they came out.

Yeah, I think Ava's main problem is that the webcomic updates way too slowly, so it takes weeks for the story to move anywhere. Hopefully once she starts updating more often that problem will be fixed.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

I'd actually argue the point that people read Dinosaur Comic, Irregular Webcomics, or XKCD just for the writing. Or Dresden Codak or Romantically Apocalyptic just for the art. The art in Dinosaur Comics, for instance, IS the joke, fundamentally. It would not work if the art were different. Even in the same text/different art series you linked to, the fact that it's the same text with different art is the whole point of that joke, which is tied into the fact that it's usually the reverse. If you just flat-out took the art style of one comic and grafted it onto the writing of another comic, it wouldn't be likely to work. A lot of people who read Dresden Codak actually like all that Singularity stuff.

Really, it isn't about objectively good art, objectively bad art, or objectively good or bad writing. (What does objectively good art consist of, anyway? Does art being more technically proficient make it "good"? What about "art that I can actually produce quickly enough to get the next page out on schedule"?) It's about having an art style and a writing style that work well together and support each other. You couldn't have Unsounded with the art from Pictures for Sad Children, because the story relies on you being able to pick out small details which wouldn't be visible in that style, and because it needs the visceral impact of actually being able to see people with their insides shoveled out to have the right emotional impact. You couldn't have Pictures for Sad Children with Unsounded's art because the simplicity of it emphasizes the loneliness of that world (and simultaneously allows us to actually laugh at it).

I feel like it's easy to have this mental image of a continuum with "bad art" on one end and "good art" on the other, but the real situation isn't nearly that simple in the world of comics.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

Terry van Feleday posted:

I've seen some complaints about the one-panel-a-page format, but that's kind of necessary in this instance. See, in a more traditional format, it's hard for the eye to focus on one panel exclusively, since it tends to wander around the image no matter what...

...Also, yeah, the author really needs to get some Javascript wizardry in there because the hideous loading times really throw off the otherwise very deliberately crafted pacing.

The load time is only 1 component of my problem with Ava's Demon's format. Traditional panel layouts convey a lot of things to me: the length of a moment, the importance of a moment, the relationship of that moment to other moments on the same page. For me, whatever Ava's Demon gains by the decision to display 1 panel at a time (and all the same size), isn't offset by the color balance of each panel.

Off the top of my head, when this update happened:

I felt this moment lost some of it's impact by being the exact same size and shape as every other panel.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Agree with this wholeheartedly and arguably when we think of bad art, whatever the form, it can be more valuable as a learning process than good art in that it can provoke a stronger reaction. In the sense of finding the truth within a broader context behind the work and reactions to it. It's easy to look at something done skillfully, appreciate it and talk about it with praise. This may be a weird failing on my part, but I find it more fun to explore why someone might think of something as bad art, how that can actually be good and in an abstract sense it might make the work better in a broader context(making us appreciate what we consider good art, with even higher regard).

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~
I said it in the last thread, but to me, good comic art is anything that doesn't detract from the story. Great comic art adds to the story, conveying stuff like mood or scale or anything else that isn't in the text. Technical skill doesn't necessarily come into it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

But why not?

Here are a few comics with the same writing and different art. Is there one that's better? Worse? Is the art made irrelevant so it should only be judged on its writing? Does this even support or contradict her point? I DUNNO
They're all worse (with the exceptions of the original strips' art simply being recreated/retouched) because the visual language is more confused and disconnected from the dialogue. In some of them the character art even blocks the dialogue from being read, and the expressions don't match the tone. It'd be easy to make an assertion that Dinosaur Comics' art is functionless, when in fact the opposite is true. If every strip was drawn, it'd be an entirely different comic. If every strip had brand new layouts, it'd be an entirely different comic.

The writing actually serves the art in Dinosaur Comics, as weird as that is to say.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 17, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Kelly Turnbull of Manly Guys made a pigeon comic. Everyone should make pigeon comics.

I can't get over the little fedora. It's perfect.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Cat Mattress posted:

Kelly Turnbull of Manly Guys made a pigeon comic. Everyone should make pigeon comics.

oh no pigeons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

sparrows is where it's at

Also I have neglected to read the lamezone comics I downloaded/bought(?) some months ago, so I'm prepared to read them all RIGHT NOW and report on my impression of them.

spoiler alert: my impression will be they're good buy them

• Locked thread