Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Cat Mattress posted:

Anyway, there are some comics that are read purely for their art (Dresden Codak, Romantically Apocalyptic...) and others that are read purely for their writing (the aforementioned Dinosaur Comic, Irregular Webcomics, xkcd...). Sure there are comics where both art and writing are equally good (Gunnerkrigg Court) and others where both are equally bad (Dominic Deegan), but most don't fall neatly in the straight line between these two extremes.

This feels pretty spot on to me(in an abstract sense, not necessarily how/what you intended), like the examples you talked about, the writing and art aren't divorced from each other. Sometimes a crude drawing can enhance writing(as a punch line in and of itself) more than something beautifully rendered in it's place, really depends a lot on the context(spirit) of the work, what it's trying to convey and what we take away as an audience. As a weird example, would that webcomic with the horrible abortion joke and copy&paste art style be as funny to us as the audience if the creator was more skilled? would that make it better or worse? really not trying to advocate justifying his work, just that there's entertainment value there, sometimes it's in spite of creator intent and the art along with the writing make it that good(bad).

Sorry if that example comes off a bit muddled. In a really basic way you(everyone) can look at his work, why it's misguided, laugh at it but at the same time come away with a better understanding of just why this isn't how you approach a subject along the same lines, like the work itself did and that lesson(?) also has value.

brawleh fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Agree with this wholeheartedly and arguably when we think of bad art, whatever the form, it can be more valuable as a learning process than good art in that it can provoke a stronger reaction. In the sense of finding the truth within a broader context behind the work and reactions to it. It's easy to look at something done skillfully, appreciate it and talk about it with praise. This may be a weird failing on my part, but I find it more fun to explore why someone might think of something as bad art, how that can actually be good and in an abstract sense it might make the work better in a broader context(making us appreciate what we consider good art, with even higher regard).

• Locked thread