Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

my dad posted:

Or, worse, your only competent survivor is black, and everyone else is a racist. They die so fast. :(

So it's literally Night of the Living Dead: The Game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So I'm starting to get back into Desktop Dungeons after buying the beta like two years ago and restarting since they've changed the structure of things and I just now noticed that the support the devs version (the one I bought for 20 bux) has a special class and landmark? I don't think I've ever seen these even when I used to play. What are they and how do you unlock them? The wiki isn't very helpful on that front.

You get some sort of Goat person monster class with really weird mechanics. For instance, your conversion ability is a full heal, but you don't heal on level up. They also use a new resource called food. The game warns you they're for experts.

The game also claims it gives you Goatman related quests, but I haven't purchased the building yet so I have no idea what they're like. I also restarted recently, and while you get access to the upgrade early it's really drat expensive for that part.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

I wholeheartedly agree about Archers, however. Holy hell what a boring class.

If you like the idea of Archers but actually want to have fun, use a cheat to unlock Skirmishers. They're a sling/shield class with a lot of movement based abilities.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Been playing You Have To Win The Game, have you?

Thank you, I have been trying to remember the name of that game for days now. Though I have to admit the roguelike thread was the last place I expected to have someone mention it.

On an actually roguelike note... Necrodancer is hella fun, but I feel like the weapons are really swingy in power. Like if I find an early bow or crossbow I'm pretty much guaranteed a win, but if I still have a dagger of some sort by zone two I take too much damage and I'm screwed. Range is more important than damage, at least in my experience.

Maybe this is less an issue for people who aren't terrible and can win the game with a dagger?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Crypt of the Necrodancer updated, Coral Riff is in! He's pretty cool.

He's the first boss in the current Daily Challenge if you wanna try him out.

Also two new characters and a bunch of new modes!

Bunch of new NPCs and such too, but I haven't touched non-hardcore runs in weeks.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

There hasn't been a good TJ&E game since the first one so I really don't have my hopes up.

Panic on Funkatron is a fine platformer. :colbert:

New game still looks ugly as sin, though. Great thing about Kickstarter is other people can pay for it and I can buy it if by some miracle it turns out good.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Aside from the dev's obsession with shoehorning what should be a hardmode gimmick character into the main campaign, Necrodancer is wonderful. I bought it a while back because I liked the music and thought the gimmick was amusing, and it's turned out to be one of my favorite games in recent years. The whole thing just WORKS.

Also it's one of the few games that got early access really, really right. It was stable, the gameplay was feature complete, and the majority of items/levels were already in. It was well done enough that the full release feels more like a free expansion pack than finally getting the game I paid for months ago. Not that the little extra bit of polish hurts; the boss title cards and cutscenes add a lot of charm.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 24, 2015

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Really, there aren't any bad boots.

Tell that to Boots of Pain when I get excited and forget that I have half a heart left.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

PoE is a wonderful, well-crafted game that would have scratched every itch the 16-year-old, DIablo 2 playing me had.

More than a decade later it seems like the good ideas (I actually really like the gem system, for the most part) got tied way too closely with the bad, grindy ones that come from emulating a game from a very different time.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Notorious QIG posted:

Dredmor would be one of my favorite roguelikes if the No Time To Grind mode was balanced properly.

I feel like Dungeonmans has the best parts of Dredmore, the goofy humor and simple-ish progression, while avoiding the worst, long animations and grindy crafting.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

While I agree with most of that, the Dungeonmans character creation/progression system is a sad, weak shadow of the Dredmor one.

I can see where you're coming from, but I felt like a ton of Dredmor's skill levels were boring filler like resistances or flat extra damage. Which was useful in a game that had a dozen different damage types, but I felt it contributed to the bloat. I'd love it if Dungeonmans had more programs (and it looks like they are coming, I think a fist-based Psychomanser was mentioned?), but I like that every level brings either a new active or a passive with noticeable effects.

Still, different strokes, different folks, etc. I fully admit I'm a big softie these days and just want to get out there and beat up monsters without having to plan out a build.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Someone needs to re-imagine One Way Heroics as a Mad Max game, with the Darkness being whatever warlord's convoy is chasing you and the various classes being whatever helltruck you're piloting.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Are there any one item per half hour games with randomized drops? Zelda/Metroidvania games are a great example, but those items are static as hell and more often than not game-changing. Hell, that's pretty much the whole point of Metroidvanias; slowly amassing completely new powers that radically change how you interact with the map. I'm curious if it would be possible to introduce randomness to the formula without making a big mess of progression or an unfun RNG-fest.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That is the very broad gist of it, yes. It gets considerably more complicated when you consider things like

* you want the map to be reasonably compact and to favor horizontal travel over vertical travel (assuming you're doing a platforming game)
* for a traditional Metroidvania, you want to reward revisits by having areas locked behind "high-level" locks that have various minor powerups
* there should be shortcuts back to lower-level areas to speed revisits and improve interconnectivity
* you don't want to have lots of long corridor segments going not much of anywhere
* you have to fill in the actual map with interesting rooms (presumably by throwing down a bunch of templates and then populating them with monsters, but those templates have to be carefully designed)

Last time I worked on this I got this far:

Which isn't awful, but it's also still years away from something that's actually playable -- there's no underlying structure to the map, it assumes vast flexibility in ability to fill in the map contents, all of the "lock" rooms (in red) and "key" rooms (in cyan) are 1x1, etc. Every constraint you violate in the name of making the maps more interesting also makes them harder to generate.

That sounds like it could be an amazing game. It also sounds like it would be insanely difficult to get right and take years of effort even with a team of devs behind it. Plus it would probably end up being a seriously niche product since the main audience would be at the intersection of Roguelike and Metroidvania players.

That said, I would play it forever and ever and never leave the house again.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Rouge is the best character in every game that offers one. Pity so many get it wrong.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

If we can somehow prove that a roguelike is a sandwich we'll finally be going places!

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Prism posted:

Roguelikes are pizza.

This is because there are no pizza rules and thus I can declare anything a pizza variant. Roguelikes also have variants, so it checks out.

This is true, and a pizza is an open-face tomato and cheese sandwich, which means I ate a roguelike for lunch.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

A roguelike is a chili.

Chili is a crustless meat pizza, so this checks out as well.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

How does the lack of autoexplore feel? If the level design is tight/fast-paced enough I could see it being unnecessary, but listing it as a primary design feature makes me worry it's being cut on the basis of "real gamers want every input to be a meaningful decision :smug:" like I occasionally see from the types who think accessing your inventory should take no less than a dozen key presses.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think wanting every keystroke to be meaningful is an argument *for* auto-explore and an inventory that works with few keypresses. That's the whole point - if how I explore is mostly meaningless, an autoexplore button means I take the single action that is meaningful, "explore", and not false ones like "Do I go down or left first?".

Bit of a late reply, and I agree with you, but I conflate the two because it generally seems to come from types who put Nethack's insane reactivity above all other features, and reflexively distrust modern-ish developments like autoexplore. No one on the forum that birthed GoonCrawl thinks like that, but they do exist on the fringes of the internet.

IronicDongz posted:

for me it feels good but I also think near the end of me playing DCSS(after almost 4000 games) autoexplore felt really loving bad to me. it made me play badly in general, put me into a super 'mash autoexplore/autofight' mindset during a lot of the game. made me feel like I was arthropying my RL skill over time, but also I wasn't able to resist playing like that.
I agree here too, but I'd rather cut out tedium and have to refocus everytime I see an OoF than waste a cumulative hour of playtime wandering through empty rooms picking up gold and rations. The trick is making a dungeon that feels "big" and "alive" without needing a ton of empty space/minor treasures to keep it from turning into LineCrawl.

Harminoff posted:

Whatever unexplored is doing.

I haven't tried this one, I'll have to check it out!

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Since we're on the subject, two quick questions about secret rooms in Gungeon:

1) Are the contents more valuable than a Master Round? I'm getting to the point where I earn them on floors 1 and 2 fairly consistently, but doing so takes up both my blanks.

2) I have yet to even see a secret room, and on a recent Hunter where I beat floor 1 with an extra blank I ran around crossbowing every wall right in the center, but didn't see any cracks appear. I also blanked the shop, but the room wasn't there either. Am I just missing the graphic, or do you have to actually shoot directly where the door will appear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Zereth posted:

I recall that Diablo 2 had a skill somewhere towards the end of the Frost tree on the Sorceress that'd lower enemy frost resist, and would break immunity by considering it 100% resist. I forget if the other sorceress trees had these too.

The other sorceress tree gave straight damage, which were mathematically inferior thanks to the resistance-breaking effect you mentioned. The skill couldn't do it alone, but once another effect brought an enemy down to to 99% reducing that further was far more effective than adding a bit more damage.