Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
I'm trying to like Rogue's Tale, but it just seems poorly balanced and lacking in depth. There really seems to be a lot of unwinnable situations, especially since you can't retreat up stairs. There don't seem to be any other tools to handle those situations in the early game either. Traps on the first floor that do over the maximum possible starting health are just plain obnoxious-- you shouldn't need to spam search 3 times per step to avoid instadeath.

That said, there is something somewhat charming about the game, so I'm going to keep trying it for a while yet. IVAN felt this uneven when I first started playing it, and ended up being one of my favorites... not sure that this game will be able to win me over without giving me banana peel legs, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

TyreForHyre posted:

Press the G key to bring up your chat, type /search 2 and that will change it to double search for each time you press the key. I've had it set to that and I run into traps far less often.

Also yeah the RNG can will do ya dirty, but I'm not 100% sure what you mean about not being able to run back up stairs. Also from what I've found, keeping your level as low as possible as you first find gear is the way to go, as mobs will scale up to your level. Also keep in mind that lighting torches, disarming traps, and picking open doors/chests gives ya XP, and from what I found that's actually going to be the majority of your levels so watch out for all that.

I'm in quite the love/hate relationship wit the game myself, and I'm in the same boat as you. The thing that worries are folks and even the dev mentioning things like "oh once you get your first heritage it's much easier". I hope that means I just have a lot more to learn, and not that I have to pray and hope to get heritages as an edge to make it -anywhere- far along.

Ya, thanks for the tip-- I actually saw that in the dev thread a little bit ago. Unfortunately, the game seems really unoptimized. There's a huge time difference in searching between when enemies are still alive on the map and when you've cleared them all. It just feels laggy doing a double/triple search every step.

You can't retreat up stairs if an enemy is aggroed. I'm really not sure how you're supposed to even escape from a bad spawn. I guess you're just screwed if you open a door and there's something out of depth on the other side?

Another thought couple thoughts-- the economy in this game is painfully unfun imo. Having to identify anything to sell it feels cheap. Having to spend all of the money you make for the first hour repairing the gear you find isn't fun to me either. Of course, I also understand the idea that it should feel like an accomplishment to be able to buy some awesome blessed weapon. Also, I had a map just a little bit ago that was unwinnable-- an enemy closed a gate that I had to go through to get down to the next floor. There was no way for me to reopen it. Since it was the second level of the dungeon, I didn't have enough money to rest at the inn and reset the dungeon. Probably just gonna write this one off, but something about it makes me want to keep trying.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

You know what game makes me love getting screwed by the RNG?

IVAN. Well, CLIVAN more specifically.

I'd say about 50-75% of deaths are unfair, but they're generally hilarious enough that I don't mind at all. Favorite death is still when I lost both of my legs to the first boss and the gods refused to give me new legs. Luckily, I had a ring of polymorph, so I'd just wait until I could change forms and run a little further to the next city. Then I started starving. Luckily, I'd contracted leprosy and my arm fell off, so I ate it. I eventually made it to the second city and got my next quest. Unfortunately, I polymorphed into a fungus a couple of times in a row in the next dungeon and was stuck not moving long enough that I started starving to death. I prayed to Scabies in desperation and she granted me a mistress to comfort me during my end times.

From what I've seen of FTL, it doesn't have the type of charm to make an unfair RNG bearable. Worse yet is Rogue's Tale, where unwinnable situations are expected and you have no tools to even try to get out of it. And you can't get banana peel legs. I keep trying it and every time I feel worse about the 5 bucks I spent on it. It may be the worst roguelike I've played ugh.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

I've only spent a couple hours on Sword of Stars, but it wasn't all that enjoyable imo. It has a lot of really tedious features that promote grinding. Ammo for all of the weapons is in extremely short supply, which I found to be more frustrating than a fun resource management type deal. If you want to not starve, you'll pretty much have to look up recipes to make different foods online. There does seem to be a fairly large fan base, though. I may have just needed to put a few more hours into it and get the hang of it, but nothing really stood out enough to make me want to keep trying.

Purchasing ToME has a few non-cosmetic benefits: it opens the Stone Warden class for dwarves, which is a pretty interesting magic/nature tank that dual wields shields and you can use a vault to transfer items between characters.

I don't really know anything about the other games, but Crayon Chronicles looks like it could be a fun in a light hearted sort of way and Hero Siege looks like it'd be fun to local coop with a friend. I may do it even though I already have SotS and ToME.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Played an hour of Crayon Chronicles-- super simple, UI could be more convenient (only move with the mouse), and some in game things could do to actually be explained (where do I get my drat quest rewards? D: How much is my dodge actually increasing by?). My character was quickly out of depth in the second zone, though I had no clue what I was doing since it was my first playthrough obv. That said, it's fun enough and I really enjoy the art direction and humor. I'll play it a little more before passing any sort of judgment on it, but it's probably worth spending a buck or three on the bundle for.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Stone Warden has been the only 'new' class out for forever. Dunno when the next one is going to come out, but maybe their time is mostly taken up by developing the orc campaign.

I think there's a demonologist class slated to come out maybe next patch? I can't remember exactly, it's been a couple months I was engaged with the community.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Ok just played an hour or so of Hero Siege. I'm not entirely sure why this is in a roguelike bundle.It's kind of like if you changed Risk of Rain into a twin stick shooter and set it on arena maps with waves of enemies coming at you. But then made the characters have persistent stats that carried over to subsequent attempts. And as you unlock higher level areas, you can choose to start from those areas, rather than from the beginning. I guess the maps and drops are procedurally/randomly generated, so there's that.

Anyway, the gameplay is very smooth. Baiting enemies into the traps on the maps is quite fun. I have no clue what is going on with the balance in the game-- the reviews I saw before buying the pack said the viking is terrible and the game is ridiculously hard and they'd played 15 times without making it through the first set of waves. I made it to second of four stages on my first run, starting from level 1 as as a viking. Everything was super easy until I was dead, though. So many damage numbers all of the sudden o_O. The artifacts you pick up as you play are fun and have a dramatic effect on your abilities. These ranged from a massive bonus to strength (+50, which is 50 levels worth of stats) to a passively activated cactus that grows out of the ground under enemies damaging them pretty heftily to an active use healing staff on a timer. It sounds like the local coop is still in the works, but its functional-- my roommates just left before I started playing, so I didn't get a chance to test that yet. Combat is very simple and all of the leveling is stats and passive benefits that gives you procs on your regular attacks, as far as I can tell. Overall, very simple but plays well and seems like it would be a blast with other people. I had fun playing it solo, too, though I don't know how often I'll do that.

Tin Tim posted:

Phew, that sure were some words :v:

Thanks for writing up those tips-- I'd definitely like to give it another go at some point. Mainly because I like guns and aliens, and as you said-- there isn't much of that in the roguelike market.

On that note, I found Bionic Dues to be quite a bit of fun. Guns and mechs is close enough to guns and aliens for me :D I also really liked how lethal the balance is-- most of your mechs are gone in a hit or two, but so are the enemies. And having four mechs to switch between is also a nice tactical touch.

EDIT:

Played more Hero Siege with my roommate. Fun as hell coop, but buggy as hell. Crashed a couple of times early on, and then once again on wave 78. Don't try to level while the other person is KO'd. But yeah, I'd definitely say this alone is worth 3 bucks if you have someone to local coop with and like twin stick shooters. Definitely not a roguelike in any sense though, imo.

Played a little more Crayon Chronicles and died at the start of the second zone again. I think you have to be extremely livable in consumable use? Gonna try a little more before going to bed. Kinda nice to have the excuse of recovering from stomach flu to let me play games all day. Kinda not nice to have had the stomach flu in the first place, though.

Dairy Power fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 13, 2014

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

lordfrikk posted:

I played quite a bit of Hero Siege. The game is cool but it has one serious problem — bunch of bullshit things that instakill you because they have ridiculous damage, it's almost exclusive to traps. I can deal with any enemy or boss but if I step on the wrong trap I'm almost instantly dead (usually half a second to second). It really brings the game down, I'd rather it stepped up the general difficulty than having this kind of artificial "but roguelike!" kind of poo poo.

Huh, I wasn't having any issues with traps instakilling me. I mean, I could lose half my health fairly quickly to a trap, but they weren't instantly lethal other than maybe the very beginning of a game before I started collecting a ton of health upgrades.

I think they should be really high risk, though. Herding entire waves of enemies into traps is fun and ridiculously effective. I don't think it'd be quite so fun if you were at no/minimal risk yourself.

Maybe they've patched trap damage since you played? I've seen the same complaint elsewhere, but it just didn't seem true at all when I played the other day.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Decided to finally try to get a win in Dungeons of Dredmor on Going Rogue/Permadeath. It's not a hard game, but it's so friggin slow even with the speed turned up and the interface causes me to make all sorts of stupid errors.

Also, apparently Killer Vegan doesn't make the animals friendly when you go through a mysterious portal. So, I had to fight Muscle Diggles while taking massive vegan debuffs. The build was super solid, so even though I was only on floor 5, I would have been able to handle it if it weren't for the debuffs. Ugh.

I've beaten it on Dwarvish Moderation/Permadeath, but I don't feel like I can actually add it to my list of beaten roguelikes until I finish Going Rogue. Part of me also just wants to go back to learning Brogue (generally hit the mid teens, but i've probably only put 10 hours in the game total) since I think it's a superior game in most respects, but I'd also like to feel like I've completed Dredmor. Life is rough.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Anyone have any thoughts on Our Darker Purpose? I've been thinking about picking it up, but can't decide whether or not to pull the trigger.

Bouchacha posted:

Risk of Rain just got an update and is goddamn fun, for only $3.99 on Steam right now. I've been playing it pretty much all weekend. It's an action-platformer along the lines of Binding of Isaac in terms of how you continue to stack items.

Didn't even know about the patch and just started playing this again with a friend the other day. Still haven't really gotten around to messing with the artifacts since I lost my save data and have been re-unlocking everything.

I gotta say that the game is way more fun if you have someone to coop with, though. Having to be in single player to unlock the Miner is so drat annoying. Dude keeps refusing to spawn and I don't really feel like playing it by myself.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Unormal posted:

It'll be mid to end of May, after the Sproggiwood mobile-release marketing push fades. Honestly, it'll let us release EA a bit more complete as well, so I hate waiting, but it's probably for the better.

Technically it looks like the last patch buttoned up all the release-blocker issues, so that much seems to be in the bag at least.

Ah man, I was really hoping to give you my money in the next couple of days :P

I finally got around to giving the ASCII version a try last week and have been completely hooked.

I had a really strong mutant beetle dude with carapace/regeneration/two hearts and mid 30s toughness running around wrecking everything until some of the yellow alpha fish in the jungle ripped off his right arms and feet. His right arm regrrw, but his feet wouldn't no matter how long I waited. The injector that was supposed to fix it didn't work either. Neither did pressing F7 (bug maybe?). So I just took it to mean that his feet were so severed nothing, not even an act of god, could fix them and crawled around at 54 quickness tanking through everything undeterred. He's ready to scoot on over to Golgotha now, lack of feet be damned. Can't wait to see how horribly he dies!

I was also having a great time with a massively burly Child of the Hearth bludgeoner, until I found out just how deadly fire ants + water is. Holy poo poo. He was just wondering aimlessly at that point though, since he killed Argyle in a burst of rage (aka I hit ctrl instead of c, attacking and eviscerating the poor guy instead of completing my quest. whoops.) and didn't know where to go next.

I've only played a couple of espers, but I'm absolutely loving dominating enemies and throwing down clones of myself. And force walls. Man I love force walls.

I don't think I've had this much straight up fun with a roguelike since I first played ToME 2 back in the day. Thanks for the awesome game man.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

ToME is great but it's just way the hell too long. It's still the roguelike that I've put the most time into and have the most wins in by far, but man, I really don't feel like going back and slogging through the East again. Shame, because the 1.3 revamps seem awesome.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Man, you guys are making me want to give OWH another go. I played like 10 hours a year ago and haven't touched it since.

Sodacan posted:

Am I in the East?

I would not know there was a comparable West, since despite putting almost 50 hours in I've never gotten through all the dungeons on the main continent without be ignominiously murdered.

(Playing on Nightmare/Roguelike with primarily bumping classes so I can just chill to a podcast or something as I play definitely, definitely has nothing to do with that.)

Teach me your ways, sensei.

Well, the East/West difference was already covered.

I'd have to say don't start on Nightmare/Roguelike lmao. The game is 100% absolute and entire bullshit with its rare spawns at times. It's just too unpredictable, long, and uneven in difficulty for a single death run to be an enjoyable experience imho. Give adventurer mode (and maybe normal) a try. It's the default mode for a reason, and using it is nothing to be ashamed of-- most people will still never manage to win with extra lives.

Always look at every rare+ mob's abilities so you know what you're up against. If your status removal is on cool down, get out of there. Similarly, never fight without an escape up unless you're 110% sure you can win immediately and will die trying to escape. Movement infusions can double as stun prevention, so take advantage of it (though obviously make sure you have other escapes available in that situation). ToME gives you WAY more movement options than almost any other roguelike would ever dream of giving you--- use them!

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Dungeons of Dredmor is the only roguelike my roommate will actually play, and he freaking loves the game. I liked it a lot a few years ago, but recently tried to go back so I could have some friendly rivalry with my roommate and holy poo poo. Slow, horribly clumsy UI, none of the niceties of modern roguelikes (autoexplore, asking if you really want to step on a trap, mouse moving taking you into portals with enemies that will autokill you, horrible inventory management even with the wizard portal thing, NO REST UNTIL HEALED!, etc.). It's just simply not fun to actually play. If there were a version that played quicker and had standard roguelike nice things, I think I'd actually like it a lot. The humor is at least enough to make me smile and I love the character creation. Good ideas, terrible execution, really.

I'm trying to get into Poschengband right now and holy poo poo is there so much poo poo. I played a lot of ToME 2 back in the day, so I have at least a some anchor point for the more complex *bands, but I don't even know. Seems really cool, though.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Man, I loved cursed too. Absolutely awesome design. It could probably use another look and some modernization to fit with the newer material better, though.

Still been meaning to go back and win one on nightmare. I ran into a stairboss that was absurd on my first shot way back when. He was a Temporal Mage/Archmage/Summoner. He hit me with time skip as soon as I came into view and then flooded summons + aether trap right on top of me. Came back and took thousands of damage instantly. I couldn't even get the dude far enough away from the stairs to bypass him before I lost all my lives to time skip + dropping everything.

I really don't know how I feel about rares/randbosses and such, in terms of game design. It's really neat to have to fight the player abilities on one hand. It's really frustrating to have to stop and inspect things all the time rather than just recognizing the sprite and knowing it's super dangerous on the other. The whole uneven difficulty thing can be really frustrating, too.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Bouchacha posted:

Anytime ToMe is criticized, it's inevitably either about the bizarre difficulty curve (98% boring, 2% kills you in 2 hits) or its crappy murky tiles. I don't understand why neither has been fixed yet.

I think I hear (and complain about) it being too long the most often. Then again, I think that ties into the difficulty curve fairly directly.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Man, I'm starting to think I just have bad tastes in roguelikes. I sunk a ton of time into DCSS recently and just don't really like it. I got a couple of wins, but just never felt super excited by anything in it. I don't even really enjoy Brogue all that much most of the times I play it, though the good runs are a lot of fun. I do enjoy (CL)IVAN, Elona+ and Poschengband consistently though, despite thinking they are just straight up not designed as well. Hell, I think I'd like Dungeons of Dredmor really well if it weren't for the interface issues.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

victrix posted:

Dungeonmans. Seriously.

I bought it when it was on sale last week and I've been following madjackmcmad's updates on it for over a year. Haven't really given it a fair shake yet, just a couple of quick runs that I bungled haha. I'll try it more when my Poschengband obsession dies down in a few days.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i got super burned out on dungeon crawl because it takes a lot of time to play and some design elements are just weirdly inconsistent. i mean, it's an alright game, but it's not something that people Absolutely Have To Like because there's legit complaints to be had about it every now and then.

dredmor is just kinda disappointing because it was like 90% of the way to being really good but then it got mired down by the actual, you know, gameplay.

DCSS isn't too terribly long compared to ToME 4 and a lot of the Angband variants, but yeah. Still longer than I'd like for how it plays. I think the only real legitimate complaint I can articulate is that the variance is way the hell too big on everything. It's like they were trying to maximize entropy or something.

And 100% with you on Dredmor.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

Dredmor had some filler, but I remember the vast majority of abilities being interesting -- most of them gave you some sort of stat bonus + some new ability. The weapon trees were probably the least interesting, with most of the skills being "a pile of stats + 10% chance of some poorly documented special move on attack", but they're the exception. And some of the trees had interesting synergies within them, too, like Egyptian Magic having a mix of active abilities and expensive sustains, but the active abilities getting more powerful based on what sustains you have running -- something that there isn't nearly as much scope for when each tree only has three abilities in it and one of them is usually passive.

The fact that you have to pick seven of them at the beginning makes it a lot more interesting to me than Dungeonmans' "everything is available to all characters" design, too. And it enables the use of Random Character, which I got a lot of fun out of -- a mix of "this is a cool character design I never would have thought of" and "this is a really awful idea, let's see if I can make it work".

I agree that Dredmor could have done with some trimming of skills and attacktypes, but Dungeonmans went way too far in that direction for me to really find it satisfying.

I was going to type up almost this exact thing. Egyptian magic is great. Dungeonmans has been fun the little I've played so far, but the skill system really doesn't grab me the way Dredmor's did. I'm actually planning to start figuring out rot.js and tinkering around with making a roguelike. I'll probably be using Dredmor as an inspiration for the skills, if/when I get that far.

On that note, anyone here have experience with rot.js? I'm choosing it mainly because I'll be using d3.js a bunch at work soon and have never used javascript before, so I figured using it for a project at home too would be nice. I've read a few really good things about it, but haven't been able to find a whole lot.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Dropped the money on Cogmind since I"ve heard tons of praise for a long time. Really not sure how I feel about it yet, in large part because there are too many stats that I don't feel like reading about right now. Really just too much reading in general after how big of a brain drain work was today. I'll give it more of a shot tomorrow and report back.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Just lost a promising CoQ run because I failed to notice a jilted lover on the wall while some robots were tailing me. I feel really dumb. I really don't like that if you try to move while you're grabbed, you'll just straight up lose a turn. I didn't realize I'd been grabbed since too many messages popped up at once argh. I'd be more salty, but carapace/regen builds aren't really my favorite anyway.

Maybe it's time to actually give Cataclysm a shot.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

I can't remember if I asked in this thread before or not, but does anyone here have experience with rot.js? I'm picking up some javascript (mainly focused on d3) for work, and I've been tossing around the idea of working on my own roguelike in my free time for a good while now. Seems like it may be a good fit, but I've not really heard a whole lot about it.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Cataclysm is a fun game, though getting started can be rough. The good news is I just started playing a game of it with the intentions of creating a "Early Cataclysm Survival Guide/Hints" thing for the RL LP Megathread.

So of course, the second I set out of my evac shelter for the first time to grab a rock, I walk out to an automated military roadblock or something and am blown away by a Robot SMG turret. Gotta love dickmoves by the random generation. :cataclysm:

Ha, makes perfect sense that'd happen. I'll look forward to reading, though!

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Burning Rain posted:

I looked up a strategy guide for The Pit, and the main advice was to take off the armour and weapon in the first floors, only putting it for tough encounters, on because otherwise you won't have any when you actually need them. Then I realised I don't care enough to actually do that and stopped playing the game.

Basically exactly how I felt. Except I kept playing out of the whole sunk cost obligation fallacy feelings. I did not have fun.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

I haven't particularly enjoyed Cogmind so far. It's a solid enough game and maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but I feel like the equips you pick up break too quickly on damage. Like, a single hit can just completely wipe out that really cool plasma cannon launcher you just found. There's no real feeling of character progression to me because of that. It kinda feels like you're a scavenger surviving on whatever you've recently found. I love that type of play in roguelites, but for whatever reason it just doesn't really do it for me in a traditional roguelike. I think I just like a more cohesive? experience or something.

Like I said, though-- the game is solid. You really have to think about where/when to engage an enemy, and it's a got a hard but fair difficulty curve. There's also some really neat weapons to find as you start getting out of the first few floors.

I'll definitely be checking back in on it from time to time, though. I may just have not been in the right mood for the type of gameplay it offers yet.

Dairy Power fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 3, 2015

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

Dredmor's skill system is amazing and makes the game worth playing despite the rest of it.

Hey. More people should post their top 10 or send me lists. I'm gonna compile them all on Monday.

Sounds like fun. My tastes are probably a little questionable, though.

1. ToME 4. ToME 2 got me into roguelikes originally, and I've put 800+ hours into ToME 4 with a bunch of wins in both normal and nightmare mode. If the game were half as long, it'd be perfect. The community is generally pretty great, too. DarkGod is an awesome dude.

2. Brogue. I haven't beaten it yet and have probably played it the least of the games on this list (10 or 15 hours total, probably). That said, I think it's easily the best designed and prettiest roguelike I've played, and would probably get 1st place if I'd played it more. I plan on playing this a ton when I'm back home from the holidays.

3. Poschengband. No wins, and I might never have the stamina to get all the way through it, but the sheer variety in race/class selection in the game has led to a lot of fun. It has a huge list of design issues, but I just find it too fun to care.

4. IVAN (well, CLIVAN, really). No wins, but come on-- that's not the goal. It's the most fun dying simulator I've ever played. My favorite run: I got leprosy in the first dungeon and lost both of my legs, but I'd found a ring or something that randomly polymorphed me. I was only able to move while polymorphed, but managed to make it to the third quest before I starved to death due to the long periods of being a stump.

5. Caves of Qud. No wins, since it's not really possible yet. Love the atmosphere, character creation, and most everything about the game. Being unfinished and having some elements that I think are plain obnoxious (glotrot!?) pushes it down the list, unfortunately. I wouldn't be surprised if it makes its way to my top 3 eventually, though.

6. DCSS. 3 wins, but no 15 runers yet. Part of me wants to rate it lower and part of me wants to rate it higher. The design is overall good (only Brogue is better designed on this list imo), other than two major issues: 1. The combat calculations are way too flat of distributions, which makes for far too 'swingy' of combat for my tastes. This is probably more frustrating to me than it reasonably should be. 2. Extended makes too many features nearly worthless and introduces way too many un-fun mechanics. Unfortunately, it lacks the charm to make up for those issues when compared to other roguelikes, imo. The wonders of webtiles and having IRL friends playing keep me coming back consistently, though.

7. ELONA (+). I love its unique brand of goofiness, but it suffers from some of its more tedious design decisions. It's fun to go back to every couple of years, nonetheless.

8. ToME 2. It got me in to roguelikes back in the early 2000s (or maybe PernAngband did, can't remember). It's still fun to pull out and goof around in, but has a lot of the same issues as Poschengband. It gets a spot largely for nostalgia, but I think it has actually held up alright, too.

9. Dungeons of Dredmor. It got me back into roguelikes after not playing them for several years, and I could talk about it with IRL friends. The skill system in the game is my absolute favorite, and I really would love to see another game with a similar system. If the interface were improved, and crafting given it's own separate/infinite inventory (wizard land thing doesn't count, still too tedious), I'd love to go back. As it stands, I straight up can't deal with the interface any more.

10. Angband. I think they've done a good job of keeping it fairly relevant, and it is the direct predecessor of a lot of my favorites. I've never gotten particularly far in it, but I would like a win someday.

Binding of Isaac, Nuclear Throne and a few other games would probably make the list if I were being more inclusive with the definition.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

kickascii posted:

What are the top roguelikes for IOS? I've enjoyed FTL, Cavern, and Dreamquest (my favorite IOS game by far). I checked out Hoplite and that monster bumping adventure game and didn't like them.

I picked up Sproggiwood this morning and I'm liking it quite a bit in the couple of hours I've put in so far.

I've also read good things about the mods of Pixel Dungeons, but I haven't given them a shot quite yet. Edit: As far as I can tell, the mods are only available on Android. drat.

The top post on /r/roguelikes over on reddit is about phone games right now, so that may be worth looking through.

Dairy Power fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 21, 2015

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

victrix posted:

The number of people listing Dredmore and not Dungeonmans is causing me great stress

Dredmor is only on my list because it pulled me back into Roguelikes and I had 3-4 of my closest friends also playing it with me. I had a ton of fun with it, despite the shortcomings.

Dungeonmans never really clicked with me, unfortunately. I think it's a better game than some of the ones I listed, but it just wasn't to my tastes. I'll give it another try sometime in the future and see if it clicks more then.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

I'm visiting my family for a fairly extended trip currently, so I've been getting in a good amount of gaming on my iPhone. I'd never really given any of the iOS roguelikes a shot before.

Sproggiwood is great so far. I just unlocked the vampire, though I've beaten all the levels so far with each class and have been working my way through savage difficulty, too. I love how puzzley it is. I wish more games presented you with challenges that had to be dealt with so differently. The death effects on the different slimes are genius. That said, I consider it far more of a puzzle game than a roguelike given the lack of penalty for dying on a stage and ability to pre-choose your loadout.

I was itching for some more classic roguelike action, so I picked up Pixel Dungeon, too. It's... ok. I have a character in progress just short of the second boss right now. It suffers hard from the classic roguelike super boring early game. I'm also not a fan of tight hunger clocks and equipment degradation. That said, it's otherwise competent, if not a bit generic. I've heard that some of the mods add a lot more depth and are much more enjoyable, but they aren't currently available on iOS. It sounds like an iOS port of Sprouted is underway, though.

I'll probably look into 868-Hack, Wayward Souls and Cavern soon.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

I just had a serious flashback. I was bitching about the item durability in Pixel Dungeon making the game significantly less fun, and then I had this sudden remembrance of the horrible feeling when my favorite claws broke. Pernangband/ToME2 weren't my first roguelikes. I played the poo poo out of Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon 2 back in like 1999 or 2000. That was also the first roguelike I beat, not Dredmor or ToME4. I think it's also the reason I found thangorodrim.net and Angband variants. Or maybe Home of the Underdogs led me there separately.

And I didn't even put it on my list because I'd forgotten about it. I am a truly wretched human being.

I watched some video of a speedrun and it seems like it has probably held up fairly well, too.

Also gently caress item durability. Worst mechanic ever.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

I can very easily see not including DCSS in your top ten list. It's overall a very well made roguelike, but it is fairly bland, has stupidly swingy combat, a less-than-great early game, and a lategame (extended) that invalidates a ton of character options. I honestly didn't want to include it in my list because of those design decisions, but, in the end, I still go back to it more than anything other than ToME. Of course, I then wonder why I didn't spend that time playing Brogue instead.

Speaking of bad game design, I picked up "Cavern" for my iPhone yesterday. It was kinda fun, but I won on my first run. Stupidly cheap instant speed town portal scrolls + nearly unlimited supply of full heal potions makes the game very trivial when no monsters can one shot you. I might consider playing again as a wizard or adventurer and limiting myself to only returning to town when I find a scroll of town portal or something to see how the game holds up with limited resources and less straightforward classes. There were a couple of minor interface quibbles (no zooming, locked to vertical display) but those didn't amount to too much frustration.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

I bought Renowned Explorers a couple of days ago, too. Overall, I love the poo poo out of it. I beat it with >3k renown on my third try using Kwame, Pedrinho, and Agatha. The amount of healing and AoE and overall resilience was just so good. All of those characters also cracked me up. Agatha's group lectures and Kwame's buffing teleport dance and Pedrinho's jumping bongo drum friendship nuke were just too great. I did two 3 star missions before attempting a 4 star that time, and it really helped my ability to not get owned by the bosses. Some of those boss fights just feel plain unfair initially. It seems like being friendly is almost necessary for both of the 3 star bosses (Nun + Sakhmet). It also seems like healing + high resilience is much more important than firepower, but maybe that's just true for lower gold runs?

Edit: I'm having more luck with high damage characters on a team that could afford good armor quickly. Also, I didn't realize that the nun fight could be started with a devious mood, so it's not quite as bad as I'd thought for non-friendly teams.

Dairy Power fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 4, 2016

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Man, I really wish Dredmor wasn't such a drag in terms of inventory management and interface. It's what got me back into roguelikes as an adult. I'd played quite a lot of Angband variants growing up (especially ToME 2!), but hadn't touched a roguelike in years until Dredmor came out. A few of my friends also picked up the game, so it was kind of a communal thing for me. Anyway, I got the nostalgia-laden urge to go back and finally beat Realm of the Diggle Gods on Going Rogue, but I just can't deal with how the game feels any more. Even just moving around the dungeon feels terrible, not to mention that playing optimally requires either mashing the space bar, running back and forth until you're healed, or putting up with the 'dredful' crafting system to keep a decent stock of food. I'm honestly not sure how that game managed to rekindle my love of roguelikes at this point :shrug:

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Got a little :words: here...

I finally took the dive and grabbed Tangledeep. I've only played one game so far. I tried to play as unspoiled as possible, but I did look up the number of floors in the dungeon. I played as a Floramancer with some Spellshaper abilities and made it to the areas associated with the final boss. I ran into an elite with a few other enemies and tried to pull the elite back, but found the area had filled in with a bunch of very dangerous monsters in the 15 turns I'd been gone. I had switched from an arrow-dampening orichalcum armor (I think that was the material... a guy in a side path forged it for me) to this unique ice armor. 0/10 decision. I think the armor made extra noise that attracted the enemies that killed me, and it wasn't nearly as helpful against the ranged guys, who were the main threat.

Overall, I had a lot of fun. There were only a few situations that really had me on my toes before I bit it, so I was a little worried that it might be too easy at first. But then I realized I was playing a summoning class and that I'd only opened a couple of pandora's boxes . I'm really looking forward to starting up another game this evening. I thought about cancelling plans with friends last night to play, but decided the game wasn't quite worth socially isolating myself. I think I'm gonna keep with the summoning theme and do Soulkeeper -> Hunter next.

A few more thoughts on gameplay:

The accessibility is great. I've played most the games that show clear influences here so there's a lot of familiarity, but the help and tips were exceptionally well done. The only thing I was a little baffled by was the monster corral. The game could have been a little more explicit with how things work. What type of benefit do you get for capturing a monster? Can monsters permanently die when you have them travel with you? Can they increase in level? etc.

I decided early on that food and consumables were insanely strong, so I started buying out the vendors every time they restocked. I only found about half the recipes, but cooking seemed really good, too. The fountains seemed way more available than I expected, but that may be an artifact of playing a summoning hero. I think I had like 100 flask charges going into the floor I died on. Managing energy proved to be the main difficulty. Though, I could have easily thrown more flask charges out just for the energy, in hindsight. I was planning on switching to a third class to fill out my last support slot, but I decided to go back to Floramancer early because the floraconda was dying too easily without the passives and keeping my energy flatlined.

The game really slows down toward the end with how high the elite density gets. It started giving me flashbacks of playing ToME on insane. I don't think that's necessarily bad, since the game is much shorter overall. If the game increases in length, though, I'm not sure that I'll love it.

The item dream mechanic is really cool (had fun with Disgaea back in the day), though I think I underused it. I really only buffed up one of my items that game and was sitting on like 10 orbs. Some more defense to give me time to break line of site would have saved my life. Most of my equipment was a fairly low rank, so there wouldn't have even been that much danger to do so, I don't think.

The class system and weapon skills are fun, but I kinda feel like the cost for switching classes should be changed to a (higher) one time fee per class. Right now, I feel like it incentivizes starting with a class you don't want to be in the long run so you can avoid the cost to switch back. It'd also feel nice to just have the classes you've unlocked available to easily switch between. Not really a big deal either way, though.

Great experience so far, and I'm hoping it will hold up for a lot of playthroughs!

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

zirconmusic posted:

Thanks for the kind words!To a couple of your points:

1. The main dungeon length is not going to increase. The final boss is on floor 20, but there are 4 side areas (single floors) that are semi-required as they make the final two boss fights easier. Sorta like Breath of the Wild or similar. You can skip them if you want but it's going to hurt if you do. I prefer to add more content in the way of New Game+ challenges, optional side areas, and cool poo poo in Item Dreams.

2. What did you mean by a way to easily switch between classes you've already unlocked? Like if you've mastered a job you can switch back anytime or something? Just curious!

Thank you too!! Yeah the difficulty is generally tuned to be reasonable for someone with a lot of roguelike experience, and challenging for someone who has less experience with them. There are a sizable number of people who cannot beat the first or second bosses :D But that's why there's New Game+, and I plan to add (eventually) some other cool optional challenges.

1. That's good to hear. I like the current length, and I actually died on one of the four side areas on that first run.

2. I was thinking a larger upfront cost, but then switching at any time after that. Mastering would be nice too, though it would somewhat discourage multiclassing early, which is a neat aspect of the game.

I've played a little more since then and have found the melee characters to be significantly more difficult. I feel like a lot of the abilities in the game feel somewhat low impact compared to the frequency at which they can be used. I'm still consistently making it past the first boss with no issue on melees, but things slow way down after that and get very attrition-y.

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

note that the latest versions of poscheng have had some... weird meltdowny decisions in 'em so you may be better off playing elliposchengband, or composband or whatever.

it's also extremely, extremely important to call gwarl a noob in the chat whenever you see him

What are you referring to in specific? I played a little bit over the summer and mainly just noticed the quality of life things for archery.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Nice to see the discussion on ranged vs. melee. Just to clarify my comment: I always brought along a ranged weapon and used it to soften enemies up, even on my most melee heavy builds. It loses a lot of effectiveness around the time you beat the first boss if you aren't using stats/skills to boost the ranged damage, though. I still haven't played that many rounds of Tangledeep (too many other good games out!), so I'm sure I'm doing things like underutilizing weapon skills. I'm gonna try to play some more in the next couple of days. I'll probably stick to hybrids or straight up ranged characters while I learn the game, I think.

I've been playing a lot of Slay the Spire, otherwise. I'm really into the CCG/Roguelike hybrid, and I think the game brings a little more variety in encounters/enemies than Monster Slayers did. I'm running into a little bit of the same issue I had with Monster Slayers, though: It seems like the only good option is to build a deck that's all about cycling through cards as quickly as possible. Most of the options that cost multiple energy or don't have card draw built in are just worse. The game is an easy win with a high card draw deck, and too easy to get left with no blocks on a crucial turn otherwise. Still, a lot of fun.

I also finally gave Hellcrawl a try after hearing reading about it so much here. It brings DCSS much more in line with my tastes. Been having fun playing DsMo and eating the purp.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

I picked ToME back up because of the new expansion and did a playthrough on nightmare with the Writhing One. It was fairly fun.

Then I decided to give Insane another go. I always get bored/frustrated by the time I make it to the east. I only made it to T2 dungeons this time. I ran into a shadow assassin randboss with 3 different stuns, shadow lash, and a couple of targeted teleports. He jumped me with a daze from out of sight. I tried to hit him my stun while I was dazed but only one of three shots hit (noggin knocker), and he hit me with a stun simultaneously. I wild + movement infusioned to get the hell out of there, but he just teleported after me and pulled me back with shadow lash, right before I could leave the level. He then stunlocked me to death while all of my abilities were forced onto cool down.

Now, this could have all been avoided if I had used track every few steps, seen how much bullshit he'd rolled, and just went to a different dungeon. But the game is way too drat long to play like that. So I play on adventure mode, so losing a life here or there to that stuff isn't the end of the world. That bad of randboss spawns only happen every few dungeons, and I would have had more tools to deal with it fairly soon. But it just feels so bad it turns me off from the game and I end up quitting anyway.

Nightmare is too easy, but insane just has more bullshit than I want to deal with. I wish they used a different mechanic than random player abilities to increase the difficulty.

Dairy Power fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 21, 2018

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

h_double posted:

I'm pretty deep into my best ToME run to date, a lvl 47 Thalore Bulwark. I'm clearing out orc fortresses and it's not super dangerous but it's sloooow chewing through all the elites and uniques, it feels like a combination of a big mech battle and heavyweight boxing, throwing massive amounts of damage around just to gradually wear down each foe.

This is the first time I've tried Adventurer mode, after 100+ hours of Roguelike, and multiple lives does take the sting out of RNG cheapness even if it's not a perfect solution.

Yeah, ToME is one of my favorite games of all time, but I refuse to play it on Roguelike. There's just too many chances for the RNG to give you something absolutely hellish. I've only outright died while autoexploring a couple of times (in hundreds of hours of gameplay), but there have been plenty of situations that were nearly death sentences and required tedious solutions to get through, especially with the newer AI. Adventure lets you play a lot faster, which is necessary for me to enjoy ToME given the length of the campaign.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

I'll definitely give the second Rogue Legacy a chance. The first game was flawed as heck, but still managed to be a lot of fun. While the progression system largely misses the spirit of roguelites, it was still fun trying to see how few runs you could beat the game in, which kinda captures a similar feeling.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Honestly, I don't personally think Hades is best viewed as a roguelite. The gameplay is over-reliant on dashing i-frames and chaotic enemies for my taste, which really reduces the long-term feelings of developing system mastery for me. There's also not enough environmental variance between runs for me to come back to the game repeatedly for years. Don't get me wrong, I think it's fun and have put a healthy number of hours into it. I'm just not going to put the hundreds of hours into it that I would Isaac or Dead Cells.

I think the real attraction of Hades is the artwork, music, voice acting, dialogue, etc. Trying out new weapons, boons, keepsakes, etc. is a nice way to keep the gameplay varied while you enjoy the other aspects. I started a new save file for 1.0 and I don't know that I'll play that much past getting to narrative content that didn't exist back in February when I last played. There seems to be quite a lot of new content in addition to having a proper ending, so I see myself getting another 50 hours or so out of it, which I'm 100% happy with.

As far as metaprogression goes, once you have an extra dash and maybe a death defiance or a bit higher starting HP, it's easy enough to win on the standard difficulty with a little practice imo. So far on my current file, I lost my first 4-5 runs and won the next 4 runs. That's better than my first time around, so I think the player skill aspect was more important than the metaprogression, once you have the most important upgrades. Now I'm increasing the difficulty as I increase my power, so it feels more like customization than standard metaprogression to me.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

King Cohort posted:

How exactly is a progression system where the majority of rank modifiers are "there's more enemies, they have more HP and deal more damage" or "you have less HP/your deck has more useless cards" balanced, fun or engaging? Wouldn't this logically force the player to seek out only the strongest meta decks to deal with increasingly spongier and deadlier enemies with no other recourse, de-incentivizing player choice and customization?

The difficulty system was actually my biggest annoyance with Monster Train. I don't mind having a dead card like in StS, but flooding your deck with garbage isn't the most fun way to make the game more difficult imo. I play deck builders to build cool decks with synergies, so making that less attainable just makes fun less attainable for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

in hades, anyone know if boosts to boon rarity (like yarn of ariadne) affect chances of getting legendary or duo boons?

From the wiki:

All Duo Boons are classified as "Tier 3 Boons" similar to Legendary Boons. (This means that they require at least 2 other Boons from Tiers 1 or 2 to appear.)

The chances for Duo Boons can be increased with specific gods' Keepsakes, Eurydice's Refreshing Nectar, Well of Charon item Yarn of Ariadne, and the Mirror of Night talent God's Legacy.

---

That seems to match with my experience.

Also note that things that affect rare and epic chances (the two standard mirror bonuses) don't count toward duo/legendary afaik.