Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Does anyone play Sil? That quickly became my favorite roguelike a few months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Lawman 0 posted:

Whats the goto character type for getting your first sil win?

Smithing + enchantment is the easiest way to consistently get to 500 feet, but it kinda runs out of steam. I think the easiest way to actually win is as a stealth based archer.

silstreamer on Youtube has put together a (slightly dated but still relevant) serious of videos that will really show you how to play.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

MeramJert posted:

Smithing + enchantment is the easiest way to consistently get to 500 feet, but it kinda runs out of steam. I think the easiest way to actually win is as a stealth based archer.

silstreamer on Youtube has put together a (slightly dated but still relevant) serious of videos that will really show you how to play.

Expanding on this a bit, in the Middle Earth canon the only time anyone ever infiltrated Angband and stole a silmaril from Morgoth they did it with stealth. They didn't just power through Angband killing everything, and Sil sort of keeps that in mind by making stealth generally the most powerful thing in the game.

And remember, in Sil you get just as much experience for exploration and discovery as you do from killing things. So you can be pretty successful and get pretty far in the game with very little combat skill. I've never had much luck with a pure melee fighter after about 600 or 700 feet.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah, the story of Beren and Luthien makes me think I should be dumping points into stealth and songs. It's been pretty fun watching orc patrols march right past me as I stealth along a wall.

I actually can't imagine being able to just walk into the throne room and straight up kill everything. It's probably possible, but there's just so many powerful enemies crammed into a small room that it seems like a generally bad plan.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sil is the best. I have a lot of fun even watching other people play

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Song of sharpness is also really good for actually winning the game. You need a sharp blade to actually cut the silmaril out of the crown, so a lot of people just get song of sharpness for a guaranteed sharp blade. And like EvilMike said, it's also really helpful for combat.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

uPen posted:

Anyone played Delver? It's billing itself as an 'action roguelike dungeon crawl' but it just looks like minecraft with permadeath.

I got the android version for free on the Amazon App of the Day. It seems ok, but the controls are so bad that I can't really get into it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Potsticker posted:

I really like it, but it's still in a state of being unfinished. While it's a lot better than when I first got it a while back, there's still not that much to do. The controls I feel are perfect, at least for my phone (Incredible 2) and while it'll take some more updates before it's truly compelling, it's an overall average experience.

Huh, I have the same phone as you and I think the controls are literally the worst I've ever seen in an Android game.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

voltron lion force posted:

Are Sil tiles gonna be a thing anytime soon? Just started messing around with it and it seems really cool but the ascii graphics kinda burn me out.

I don't think tiles are planned at all for Sil. You should probably just keep getting used to ascii. A lot of good roguelikes only have ascii.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

voltron lion force posted:

Oh :saddowns:

Reason I asked though is because in the options menu they have a graphics setting with a few grayed out tile sets. Figured that might mean they were close.

Yeah I guess they are planning it long term, I didn't even notice that option!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Zombie Samurai posted:

I've had 4 shields and maxed evasion and lost to the flagship more than once because a drone in the phase 2 power surge obliterated the wrong room. Even planning for the final fight doesn't guarantee victory unless you're picking up the specific counters to its many attacks.

I dunno man, I have 33 hours in FTL and I've never beaten the flagship. I've tried specializing, I've tried generalizing, I've followed the accepted strategies (kill all but one of the crew, knock out the weapons in specific order, etc) and something always goes wrong. I might just suck at the game, but I think it's weird I can get to the flagship 9 times out of 10 but never beat it.

EDIT: Dude above me says it better than I ever could.

Sorry, but you're bad at the game. :shrug:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

So is this actually a real game implemented in excel?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ugh, I just had the most stupid death in the royal flush of all Pixel Dungeon runs.

I decided to try a Battlemage playthrough, and lucked into a Wand of Firebolt + 1 on the 2nd floor of the dungeon, followed by a +2 mail of metabolism on the 3rd floor. By level 15 I had 16 strength, a plate mail + 2, a wand of firebolt + 8, plus a full complement of utility potions, scrolls, and seeds, and a couple nice utility wands. On level 17 I misclicked a firebolt and targeted myself, standing in a field of grass with already low hp. I clicked to move instead of opening my pack to down a healing potion and died immediately, respawned because I had an ankh, and then got promptly chased down a grassy corridor that ended in a locked door by a fire elemental, who was pretty much immune to me now that I literally only had a wand of firebolt and some armor and no other items.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Wow, in Pixel Dungeon I just picked up two Rings of Haste -2 on the first two floors and the river crabs were getting 5 turns for every 1 of mine. That's impressively bad luck.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Are there any good iOS rogue likes these days

e: other than pixel dungeon, I’ve already played that a lot

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 28, 2018

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

andrew smash posted:

Just from what I currently have installed, in order of quality:

Hoplite - pro pick. Amazing game.

Card Quest - arguably not a roguelike? Who cares, it's very good. Mobile interface is excellent. Tons of replay value - class unlocks drastically change how you play the game. It's also very satisfying when you finally crack a certain setup and breeze through a run without ever taking damage.

Powder - traditional roguelike, originally coded for Gameboy advance flash carts of all things. The iOS port is okay, few interface issues but it's playable.

Pathos- cool if you like nethack. Interface is, surprisingly, totally fine.

Crypt of the NecroDancer: a great game on PC but very hampered by its transition to touch screen controls. It's a timed game, you just can't fake good solid inputs and have it work out. I would avoid it honestly on mobile.

I have played the heck out of hoplite and have NecroDancer on my phone already. I’m gonna check out the others

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jazerus posted:

except for adom, by some twisted technicality

i just started playing adom this week. it’s an adventure game with some roguelike features bolted on imho

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

pumpinglemma posted:

There are no best three, because it all comes down to what you like in a game. Do you like loot pinata ARPGs? Then ToME. Do you like feeling horribly outclassed as you creep through a hostile dungeon, adapting to circumstances, avoiding the fights you can't win and picking the ones you can? Then Cogmind or Sil. Do you like the occasional "oh poo poo" moment but generally feeling like you're in control and things are going well? Then Dungeon Crawl, Tangledeep or Dungeonmans. Do you like HATING YOUR EVIL TWINS TO DEATH WITH YOUR TERRIFYING MIND LASERS and the "dev team thinks of everything" design philosophy? Then Nethack or Caves of Qud.

sil owns but i will never be able to beat it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Black August posted:

Duelists. Try out a ratling one, or a tougher race like dwarf or drakeling. They're a little hard to get rolling but once you do, they just slaughter everything in their way, and wands pick up the slack.

As mentioned before, Archers are also broken, and a Hurtling Archer is easy since you can carry rocks (easy universal ammo) and be a gunner from turn 1 (Hurthlings get a massive bonus with thrown rocks, and a smaller one with slings; combine that with Archer which also gets massive bonuses to all ranged, and you're a pebble sniper).

ive only been playing it for a week but by far my best run was a hurthling archer. i crowned early and got whirlwind and i felt insanely strong. 2 shot the mummy king guy, i was one shotting liches and vampires in the coc graveyard, easily handling frost giant jarls etc. died at level 17 because i got overconfident and challenged a named shadow wyrm over an artifact in the dwarven halls, and he confused me and then walked up and aged me like 8 times and i died of old age

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i just got doomed for the first time in adom and well, it sucks and isnt v fun if you don't understand the mechanics like i didn't. i got doomed i think at level 3 and survived to lvl 15 but it was like walking through molasses the entire time

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im starting to see some real annoying stuff in adom. when i got doomed i ended up facing literally 8 gigantic packs of stronger than normal jackals just on my walk from the caverns of chaos back to the starting village. each pack took me like 20 minutes irl to kill

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

note to anyone else new to adom: if you want to kill hotzenplotz do not let him get into melee range unless you know what you’re doing. i just killed him easily with a level 12 dwarf duelist with 21 toughness and the residual poisoning did my whole hp 3 times over (prayed for healing twice) and i still died

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Awesome! posted:

every time i hear people talk about adom i think it sounds like a really bad, unfun game. i also kind of want to try it just to see for myself

thats what i did and i see the charm

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

lol owned. artifact guardians are really beefy for their level and dwarven halls is DL 45 i believe so yeah, ouch. fun fact: whirlwind isn't even one of the 4 out of 6 Win The Game archer crowning artifacts I mentioned. it's just merely really good. greater heights of Power await you.

im trying an archer again and boy you werent kidding. got thunderstroke this time and it's hilariously easy so far with this massive range and damage

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

so uh, in adom i just went to the water dragon cave for the first time ever. i underestimated some of the monsters in there for sure. ran up against a greater water elemental blocking the exit of a hallway and a great dragon turtle blocking the other end of the hallway. the water elemental breathed at me for 97 damage in a single hit, like half my hp. i hit him in melee and it only got him down to 85% hp, so i wasted a turn loading some construct slaying ammo into my crossbow. on the same turn i was loading the ammo, it said he attacked me again and i blocked him, and he instantly died and i escaped the cave.

what the heck happened, i can't figure it out. by all rights i should have died in that cave

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yes the giant dragon turtle hit me for like 150 damage in one turn and i had water breathing. i only got away by using a darkness crystal and invis potion to shake him off

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

darkforge?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jedit posted:

The only things you ever bring to the WDC are two charges of controlled teleport and the sense to turn off Auto Pickup. 36 spaces left of the stairs, you're welcome.

Re: ADOM midgame - it's a bit late now, but one thing a lot of people forget to do (or don't know to do) is to visit the bottom level of the Moldy Cave before accumulating 90,169 XP. 18 is probably high enough to do ToHK though, or to grab the Phial from Gremlin Cave if you have a light source. Lastly, Archers can do a bit of the top level of Bug Temple for a huge boost.

i did this. second step which i forgot for a while is to bless the tome of donors asap.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

just cleared my first ever greater vault in adom. it was filled with undead and took me like 2 hours irl because the liches kept summoning more guys

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

now that you've done it once you can say you've done it and never ever bother again cuz yeah, that's about right. the worst is when your runed trident fails to return and then a bunch of poo poo gets summoned and you can't get it back easily. augh. i had to just completely give up on a GUV and go win instead when that happened.

i temporarily lost thunderstroke AND runed trident because they didn’t return and i had to break out the undead slaying quarrels and teleportation to launch a surgical strike to get them back

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

tome2 is badass and i absolutely never want to play it seriously. for as hosed up as te4 can be holy moly tome2 has some poo poo that makes playing it sound awful. but maaan thaumaturgy is so sick. i load up te2 every once in a while to gently caress around with the RNG spells.

hey op do you think my char can survive tower of eternal flames? i haven’t been there ever before and i don’t want to lose my best char yet to some bs im not anticipating

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

oh also i got three artifacts out of that greater vault. a cloak, a helmet, and robe of the master monk. still not worth it imho

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ok i think i have four fire resists, two fireproof blankets but i know where there’s another one i didn’t pick up (why 3?), a blessed ring of ice under my elemental gauntlets, and some demon slaying quarrels as well as runed trident and also just with thunderstroke im +100 to hit, 20d4+64 damage which so far has melted everything in my path.

i also have several potions of ultra and extra healing as well as enough piety for probably multiple full heal prayers if needed, and the water orb if im truly boned and an amulet of life saving

so do i just go pick up that third fireproof blanket and go to town?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yeah im a dark elf archer

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yeah maybe you could with this char but im assuming im gonna mess something up so im playing v cautiously

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jedit posted:

just stuff your backpack with junk.

way ahead of u

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

tower of eternal flames trip report: easy. i two shot acw with thunderstroke and didn’t explore the dungeon at all.

only hiccup was that i forgot to actually equip my ring of ice until my boots and bracers burned up, lol!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i forgot to equip my ring of ice and two inventory slots burned up before i took 5 steps

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Sounds like my best option is to hunt down map fragments and hope I find the blanket/ring along the way then. If I don't I get an artefact pickaxe.

btw i just got all the map fragments today. the random drop from a monster one will probably drop soon after finding all the others, so you probably want to autopickup scrolls once that’s the last piece you need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

jesus christ adom just crashed on me and i haven’t manually saved in forever, just always have it running in the background. it took me back to like a week ago in this save and undid my frost giant caves, greater vault, tower of eternal flames, tomb of the high kings, antediluvian dwarven map, and minotaur maze completions, as well as a bunch of smithing. lolll