Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kathy Bates? Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
A little late, but FX is marathoning Asylum tonight and tomorrow night. Episodes 1-7 are running now, with 8-13 starting tomorrow at 11/10c.

I figured someone else would've beat me to it, but they're on the third episode now.

So if anyone wants to experience I Am Anne Frank I & II again, now's your chance!

Bike Lane Closed
May 26, 2006

Mistakes were made
This is going to be amazing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Two morsels today. First, a new teaser video, Stakes. Second, a video about the design and philosophy behind the show's title sequences, complete with Murphy reminding us that the titles are always full of clues to the course of the season as a whole.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Finally finished watching S2 after getting sidetracked, I demand that every season have atleast one outrageous musical number. :stare:

13stitches
Mar 13, 2012

You were born free, you got fucked out of half of it and you wave a flag celebrating it.
The musical number came straight outta left field, hit me over the head and left me dizzy and oh so happy. For all the gloominess of the second season this was one of the strangest scenes but Lange made it a great moment to remember.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Season has an official discription. Spoiler, it's witches.

"American Horror Story: Coven" tells the secret history of witches and witchcraft in America. Over 300 years have passed since the turbulent days of the Salem witch trials and those who managed to escape are now facing extinction. Mysterious attacks have been escalating against their kind and young girls are being sent away to a special school in New Orleans to learn how to protect themselves. Wrapped up in the turmoil is new arrival, Zoe (Taissa Farmiga), who is harboring a terrifying secret of her own. Alarmed by the recent aggression, Fiona (Jessica Lange), the long-absent Supreme, sweeps back into town, determined to protect the Coven and hell-bent on decimating anyone who gets in her way.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That sounds awesome.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend
I'm glad to hear Taissa Farmiga is coming back. When Tate showed her her body, and she found out she couldn't leave the house, I was so sad for her. I hope she gets away with whatever bad things she does this season.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Red_Museum posted:

Season has an official discription. Spoiler, it's witches.

"American Horror Story: Coven" tells the secret history of witches and witchcraft in America. Over 300 years have passed since the turbulent days of the Salem witch trials and those who managed to escape are now facing extinction. Mysterious attacks have been escalating against their kind and young girls are being sent away to a special school in New Orleans to learn how to protect themselves. Wrapped up in the turmoil is new arrival, Zoe (Taissa Farmiga), who is harboring a terrifying secret of her own. Alarmed by the recent aggression, Fiona (Jessica Lange), the long-absent Supreme, sweeps back into town, determined to protect the Coven and hell-bent on decimating anyone who gets in her way.

gently caress yes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If the October 9th date wasn't official before (I'm honestly not sure if it's been confirmed before), it is now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Also, there is some kind of contest going on where you can win a trip to New Orleans for a series of witchcraft-related activities.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Coffin

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's called American Horror Story: Coffin now? :v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Initiation

New music and the full cast. Now we're getting somewhere.

e: OK, not all the cast, but more identifiable faces and less distant/obscured ones.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 11, 2013

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

God drat, that gave me goosebumps.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm so ready!

EDIT:

haveblue posted:

Initiation

Was the full cast in there? I didn't see Frances or Alexandra in there anywhere unless I just missed them.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 10, 2013

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

haveblue posted:

Initiation

e: OK, not all the cast, but more identifiable faces and less distant/obscured ones.

Oh, hell yes.

Wait, is that Addie on the left when they open the door?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

haveblue posted:

Initiation

I'm so excited! :neckbeard:

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

haveblue posted:

Initiation

Jesus, that got me pumped.

Want this craziness in my life right nowwwww.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

haveblue posted:

Initiation

:supaburn:

I'm so loving excited...

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
Isn't Ryan Murphy more involved this season compared to previous seasons of American Horror Story?

That has me worried because Glee is terrible.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Simstim posted:

Isn't Ryan Murphy more involved this season compared to previous seasons of American Horror Story?

That has me worried because Glee is terrible.

Not only that, but his writing has certain patterns that are easy to detect if you've watched any of his in the past. The most glaring of which is the fact that no LGBT person will ever be anything other than a mary sue version of himself (Kurt, Lana, Zach Quinto's character in S1 AHS).

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 11, 2013

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I just hope the story doesn't build itself up so high it just topples over, like Asylum did.

And since they have a single, centralized idea this time (seemingly,) I think it won't.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Parasol Prophet posted:

Wait, is that Addie on the left when they open the door?

Yes, that was Jamie Brewer, she was confirmed as reappearing a while back.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Captain Mog posted:

The most glaring of which is the fact that no LGBT person will ever be anything other than a mary sue version of himself (Kurt, Lana, Zach Quinto's character in S1 AHS).

Not sure you have the firmest grasp on what a Mary Sue is.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

haveblue posted:

Huh, I completely missed that she was coming back. Awesome!

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

epenthesis posted:

Not sure you have the firmest grasp on what a Mary Sue is.

Maybe Mary Sue was the wrong term to use. But they are almost always idealized, nigh-perfect characters who undergo persecution and hardships but eventually wind up victorious in the end. Kurt as a bullied gay male who is talented at everything he does (talented enough to begin writing for an NYC upscale fashion magazine on the spot), Lana as a persecuted gay woman in the 60's who escapes an insane asylum and becomes a talented journalist (world-famous and rich in the present day), ect.

Don't get me wrong- I enjoy the greater representation as a member of the gay community myself, but the way he writes certain character archetypes is getting a bit stale and the gay thing is just the one example off the top of my head.

quote:

I just hope the story doesn't build itself up so high it just topples over, like Asylum did.

And since they have a single, centralized idea this time (seemingly,) I think it won't.

Even though it did have a bit of a disappointing ending wherein little was explained, I still found Asylum to be absolutely fantastic. I really love the "Tales from the Crypt" feel AHS has going on. I heard that this season might be a bit lighter in tone, which will probably do it wonders. And witches are awesome.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 11, 2013

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Captain Mog posted:

Maybe Mary Sue was the wrong term to use. But they are almost always idealized, nigh-perfect characters who undergo persecution and hardships but eventually wind up victorious in the end. Kurt as a bullied gay male who is talented at everything he does (talented enough to begin writing for an NYC upscale fashion magazine on the spot), Lana as a persecuted gay woman in the 60's who escapes an insane asylum and becomes a talented journalist (world-famous and rich in the present day), ect.

Neither Lana nor Quinto's S1 character were portrayed as perfect by a long shot, and while Lana emerged victorious, I don't really see how that was enough of a trope to make it unsatisfying. I gave up on Glee so long ago that I'll just take your word for it on Kurt.

The defining trait of Mary Sues is, to me, that they are valued substantially more by the storyteller than is justified by their actions in the story. But the gay characters in AHS have really been interesting people in their own right.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

OmegaBR posted:

Man, I loved Asylum. It was a perfect counterpoint to Murder House: MH started off as the story of a broken family in a haunted house that spiraled outwards until the house had a body count in the double digits and everything from the antichrist to the Black Dahlia to the end of the world was involved. Asylum started out broad (aliens, Nazis, zombies, Satan) but narrowed down so that in the end it was a story about family and human kindness.

Captain Mog posted:

Maybe Mary Sue was the wrong term to use.

Yeah, they may not be Mary Sues but it is one of those prominent, annoying recursive themes in his works that just becomes more noticeable the more Ryan Murphy media you consume. Like Mike Judge never getting over high school or the entirety of Joss Whedon's writing output.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 11, 2013

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Like Mike Judge never getting over high school

I never got this from any of his stuff

sandworms
Sep 22, 2010

I really need to finish season 2, I only made it about halfway. I didn't like it anywhere near as much as season 1.

Coven looks awesome though, what a great poster too.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Hopefully this is a return to a more grounded story like season 1.

Asylum wasn't scary to me because they went way over the top throwing in horror tropes. It was like a commercial haunted house attraction or something, which is great for an episode of something. Not a whole season.

sandworms
Sep 22, 2010

Spiky Ooze posted:

Hopefully this is a return to a more grounded story like season 1.

Asylum wasn't scary to me because they went way over the top throwing in horror tropes. It was like a commercial haunted house attraction or something, which is great for an episode of something. Not a whole season.

It was just too much for me as well. I didn't hate the episodes, and usually enjoyed them all at least somewhat, but watching them felt like such a chore.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
S1 never really grabbed me, but I absolutely loved Asylum. Probably the show I'm most excited for at the moment. Her name evades me and I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but I hope the person who played Lana last season returns, and that she is just as awesome as ever. I'm going to try to not read too much about the show before it starts, because the more it surprises me, the better as far as I'm concerned. I feel like I should be doubting the show, but it's pulled off what it aimed to do so well so far, and the cast is strong, so I have high hopes for another high quality season.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

epenthesis posted:

Neither Lana nor Quinto's S1 character were portrayed as perfect by a long shot, and while Lana emerged victorious, I don't really see how that was enough of a trope to make it unsatisfying. I gave up on Glee so long ago that I'll just take your word for it on Kurt.

I was actually rooting for Lana the whole time, too. She was interesting as a character. But I guess I'd just like to see him write other kinds of characters with different personality types than what we've come to expect from him.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Don't get me wrong, I loved Asylum and it just kept building and building itself up every week, to the point where it was what I looked forward to the most.

But they really fell into the LOST trap of building up too much without having a clear ending in mind, and then having the burden of wrapping it all up. Some very huge characters and plot points fizzled and were resolved much too simply. The devil being killed by falling over a railing, Arden killing the mutants and then himself, the brief mention of Alma's death, the brief mention of the Monsignor's suicide, the aliens dropping by to take Kit - it all got resolved WAY too easily after weeks of us wondering just how the hell all of this would come to a head. It all took a backseat to Lana in the end.

And speaking of Lana, she became very cliche, and that's where the Mary Sue accusation comes from. Fans of hers and strong LGBT characters in general loved it, but fans of the unique storytelling that AHS has created were likely left feeling disappointed. It was pretty obvious what would happen at the end there, right down to her tricking her son the same way she tricked Thredson, leaving her the sole survivor. It was nice to root for her throughout her time in the Asylum itself, but then they really made her kinda lame afterward.

Actually, I take it back, it took a backseat to Lana and Jude, and Jude's story was actually pretty sweet, having been redeemed. Honestly, she's the standout character in that season to me above Lana.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
I didn't really find Lana all that idealized at all, considering the implications of the final scene of the final episode (being that she is an arch manipulator and has been stained by the evil she witnessed). I like Lana; I just don't think she was presented as idealized. I thought she was quite dynamic. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the argument, since I always thought a Mary Sue was the idealized self-insertion of the creator.

OmegaBR posted:

But they really fell into the LOST trap of building up too much without having a clear ending in mind, and then having the burden of wrapping it all up. Some very huge characters and plot points fizzled and were resolved much too simply. The devil being killed by falling over a railing, Arden killing the mutants and then himself, the brief mention of Alma's death, the brief mention of the Monsignor's suicide, the aliens dropping by to take Kit - it all got resolved WAY too easily after weeks of us wondering just how the hell all of this would come to a head. It all took a backseat to Lana in the end.
IIRC Ryan Murphy said or implied somewhere that the creators were even overwhelmed by how much they had going on all at once, and that was why the aliens plot was never realized. I really wanted to see Jude vs Sister Satan, though. Mary Eunice's death was too easy, and I wish that that plot had been the one to get more fleshed out.

I can't wait to see what kind of role Lily Rabe has this year. One of the set pics had her looking quite like Nora Montgomery, so I'm wondering if she's going to be restricted to the past storyline(s).

haveblue posted:

I'm so happy that it looks like she's going to be one of the witches.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
You guys seem to be forgetting how Lana lied about her relationship with Clea Duvall's character. She fudged a lot of details in the book to make it sell better. She could've been a pioneer for LGBT people in that time period, but she chose not to, because money and fame were more important. She was a flawed character. Kit had to beg her to go back to fulfill her promise of doing an exposé on the asylum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare bird
Jun 19, 2013

escape artist posted:

You guys seem to be forgetting how Lana lied about her relationship with Clea Duvall's character. She fudged a lot of details in the book to make it sell better. She could've been a pioneer for LGBT people in that time period, but she chose not to, because money and fame were more important. She was a flawed character. Kit had to beg her to go back to fulfill her promise of doing an exposé on the asylum.

Don't forget the promise wasn't just to do an expose on the asylum, it was to save Judy, too.

• Locked thread