Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Can seasons be watched in any order or do they have little things that make it better to start with the first season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Midnight City posted:

Can seasons be watched in any order or do they have little things that make it better to start with the first season?
A lot of the same actors appear in every season, so if you watch them in order, you have the benefit of knowing the other roles they've played in the series. But each season is its own self contained story, so it's not necessary to watch every season for story reasons. But you should watch the first two seasons anyway because they're loving awesome and ridiculous as hell.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
The weird thing about the chicken burns was that, as she said, there were a million witnesses and no one actually saw her do anything. I'd love to see the police report / how the news handled that.

fake edit: I'm imagining all of the over-the-top racist posts on Facebook debating the issue

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit

fullroundaction posted:

The weird thing about the chicken burns was that, as she said, there were a million witnesses and no one actually saw her do anything. I'd love to see the police report / how the news handled that.

fake edit: I'm imagining all of the over-the-top racist posts on Facebook debating the issue

The other weird thing about the chicken burns is that they were permanent. I could have sworn that Misty's fork wound disappeared as soon as Queenie removed the fork from her own hand. I made a point to watch for it and I'm almost certain that it left no lasting wound. Maybe we'll learn later that she can make the wounds permanent if she wants or something. Or maybe I'm overthinking a TV show about witches.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

DecentHairJelly posted:

The other weird thing about the chicken burns is that they were permanent. I could have sworn that Misty's fork wound disappeared as soon as Queenie removed the fork from her own hand. I made a point to watch for it and I'm almost certain that it left no lasting wound. Maybe we'll learn later that she can make the wounds permanent if she wants or something. Or maybe I'm overthinking a TV show about witches.

She did the permanent damage before she was discovered and brought to the school, so if anything, making it temporary is the advanced version of the ability.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Midnight City posted:

You can watch whatever season you like. It honestly makes no difference.

gently caress, THIS, MINOTAUR BY THE WAY. He's like pyramid head to me, but I can only imagine him as worse somehow.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 19, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Veskit posted:

gently caress, THIS, MINOTAUR BTW he's like pyramid head to me, but I can only imagine him as worse somehow.

Well, thematically minotaurs serve a lot of the same purpose.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Just finished marathoning season 1. Loved it all the way up until the last episode. Did they really make the finale almost entirely filler? :confused:

Glad I wasn't watching this live, I would have been pissed.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
What the hell is this avatar text about? And you flipped Brother Mouzone?!

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Haha 10 seconds into the very first episode and "I HATE TREES".

I'm so sold on this. Binge watching time.

Edit: ughhhh mutilated animal 30 seconds later. There's not a lot more animal abuse in the show is there? It's the only thing I just refuse to watch.

VVV Good, thanks. I couldn't even tell what it was the two boys were looking at, an opossum? It was still breathing though.

Haha this is so over the top to make you feel no sympathy for the two boys.

Let's see what their feelings are on disabled children? Rudeness
Let's see what their feelings are on trees: WE HATE THEM
Let's see how they respond to a dying animal: Oh cool
Let's see how they respond to a baby's head in a jar: Cool but it smells gross

If only they'd managed to work in their feelings on the holocaust and deep dish pizza before killing them off we would've had more character development than all 8 seasons of Dexter combined.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 19, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
There's been absolutely none in the episodes so far.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is a horror story told from the monsters' point of view.

I would agree. I wondered at first if the characters were just hollow, but I think it's more thematic. They *are* the Carrie/old hag type supernatural women of folktale you don't want to come across. Their power is too strong to be reigned in so they simply accept that they're trouble for the world and go about covering it up after the fact. That interpretation is growing on me at any rate.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

This show is just insane. Is the first episode supposed to be extra crazy because it was the pilot and it is going to level out, or does it just keep building into more and more insanity?

Edit: Welp episode 2 settled that. More insane.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 19, 2013

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Midnight City posted:

This show is just insane. Is the first episode supposed to be extra crazy because it was the pilot and it is going to level out, or does it just keep building into more and more insanity?

The crazy keeps piling. And season 2 is even crazier.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I'm loving it, but need to ask before getting my hopes ups, does all of this weird poo poo actually get a coherent explanation in the end? Or am I just walking into another Lost catastrophe?

Still binging just wanting to go into this with the right mind for it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Midnight City posted:

I'm loving it, but need to ask before getting my hopes ups, does all of this weird poo poo actually get a coherent explanation in the end? Or am I just walking into another Lost catastrophe?

Everything is settled by the end of the first season.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Midnight City posted:

Yes for the first season (with the exception of one cliffhanger), "kinda" for the second season.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

escape artist posted:

What the hell is this avatar text about? And you flipped Brother Mouzone?!

Someone else mentioned you and I knew I was not alone in liking your input in my favorite shows, and after attempting to summon you with private message, I resorted to witchcraft:10bux:. I have no regrets.

I'm having trouble casting any judgement on this show before the next episode, right now it seems weirdly paced. I think the other reasons started out slow and weird before blossoming so I'm not worried.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
It's not like I've been ignoring the show. I just haven't seen enough to form an opinion.

Also next time you feel like throwing away $10, send it to my Paypal-- I want a sandwich.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Rapdawg posted:

I like offering someone condolence while biting into fried chicken- it is impossible to do without showing off how much you don't care. I almost want to try this.

It could only be better if you were wearing a Mickey Mouse hat.
If we're doing a PayPal food drive for homeless/almost homeless goons, let me know. I'll trade my block of government cheese for something. No one did ever make that thread (re: discussion in the government shutdown thread in GBS) about earning pizza money online. :smith:

Veskit posted:

gently caress, THIS, MINOTAUR BY THE WAY. He's like pyramid head to me, but I can only imagine him as worse somehow.
Oh my god I love Pyramid Head. It's great for Halloween, and then Mardi Gras to make a themed Pyramid Head.

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 20, 2013

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Midnight City posted:

Wait until you get to season 2. Just...just wait.

My favorite thing about this show is that I can legit tell someone Anne Frank gets a lobotomy by a nazi to become a Stepford Wife and then mention that it's not even the craziest thing that happens that episode.

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...

Women's Rights? posted:

Wait until you get to season 2. Just...just wait.

My favorite thing about this show is that I can legit tell someone Anne Frank gets a lobotomy by a nazi to become a Stepford Wife and then mention that it's not even the craziest thing that happens that episode.

Did we ever figure out if she was actually Anne Frank or just batshit crazy? I ended up missing the 2nd half of the season and until it ends up on Netflix I probably won't see it.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

DrFrankenStrudel posted:

Did we ever figure out if she was actually Anne Frank or just batshit crazy? I ended up missing the 2nd half of the season and until it ends up on Netflix I probably won't see it.

They never come out officially one way or the other but the episode ends on a stinger where one of her albums has a clipping of James Cromwell at a Nazi Rally.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

DrFrankenStrudel posted:

The impression I got was that she was not Anne Frank, but had become so obsessed by her and the Holocaust that she gathered all the newspaper clippings and stuff and stumbled across a real Nazi scientist.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

hangedman1984 posted:

The impression I got was that she was not Anne Frank, but had become so obsessed by her and the Holocaust that she gathered all the newspaper clippings and stuff and stumbled across a real Nazi scientist.

I'll have to watch it again but that's not what I got from it at all. I don't believe there's a definitive answer, but I've always believed she was who she said she was. Plus, didn't she know his name, not just his face?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't think there's any doubt she's a Holocaust survivor, at least. She can be right about the doctor and insane.

edit: It's been a while since I saw Asylum, though.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Midnight City posted:

The great thing is that season one is regarded as quite tame compared to season 2.

I loved the second season and I'm enjoying the new one, but I adore the first season. It helps that it focused on my favorite sub-genre of horror.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Jessica Lange: I'll wind down my acting career with 1 more season of "American Horror Story"

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

How can news be great and terrible at the same time?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tonight on American Horror Story: "The Replacements"

Fiona takes on an unlikely protégé. Meanwhile, Zoe tries to help Kyle.

:magical:

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

So, there'll be 5 seasons of American Horror Story then. :smith:

Jokes aside, any mention of the fourth season now has me wondering what it could possibly be. It's like a compulsion.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Parasol Prophet posted:

So, there'll be 5 seasons of American Horror Story then. :smith:

Just enough seasons for Glee to end and Ryan Murphy to obviously pull all those poor actors and actresses into AHS 6 to 'replace' Lange!

(No one can replace Lange.)

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I finished watching season 2 last night and I have to say I liked it much, much more than season 1. Is that the general concensus? The acting was miles ahead in my opinion and Lange was amazing as Sister Jude and also as a patient at Briarcliff.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

As someone who doesn't own a TV, does anyone know what the turn-around is for these popping up on Google Play?

I'm free on a Wednesday for once and I'd love to actually be current.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yay it's starting, what crazy new poo poo are we gonna see this week!

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
If I even look half as good as Jessica Lange at that age, I'll consider my life a huge success.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got home 5 minutes after it started. Turning it on now. What'd I miss? :ohdear:

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Liking the camerawork in this episode so far. I love it when they get all arty.

Poor Jeeves Spalding.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Got home 5 minutes after it started. Turning it on now. What'd I miss? :ohdear:

You haven't missed anything of super importance Flashback to New Orleans 1971 and Jessica Langs character killing the previous supreme witch and taking her throne. They explained as the New Witch Supreme comes into power and blossoms, the old Witch Supreme fades , she cut her throat Jeeves saw her do it. They imply she cut out his tongue

Uh is that Carrie Fisher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Blaze up with the mom, Zoe.

• Locked thread