Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Thank god Jessica Lange and Evan Peters are back. No Zach Quinto this season, though?

They didn't announce Dylan McDermott until very shortly before Asylum started; there's still time for more casting announcements. Failing that, a fourth season with its own new cast is already a good bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Captain Mog posted:

The most glaring of which is the fact that no LGBT person will ever be anything other than a mary sue version of himself (Kurt, Lana, Zach Quinto's character in S1 AHS).

Not sure you have the firmest grasp on what a Mary Sue is.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Captain Mog posted:

Maybe Mary Sue was the wrong term to use. But they are almost always idealized, nigh-perfect characters who undergo persecution and hardships but eventually wind up victorious in the end. Kurt as a bullied gay male who is talented at everything he does (talented enough to begin writing for an NYC upscale fashion magazine on the spot), Lana as a persecuted gay woman in the 60's who escapes an insane asylum and becomes a talented journalist (world-famous and rich in the present day), ect.

Neither Lana nor Quinto's S1 character were portrayed as perfect by a long shot, and while Lana emerged victorious, I don't really see how that was enough of a trope to make it unsatisfying. I gave up on Glee so long ago that I'll just take your word for it on Kurt.

The defining trait of Mary Sues is, to me, that they are valued substantially more by the storyteller than is justified by their actions in the story. But the gay characters in AHS have really been interesting people in their own right.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Raere posted:

I really hope they do something more with Gabourey Sidibe other than have her be comic relief. She's funny for sure but the sassy black girl act will get old. I'd love for her character to be taken seriously and explored.

The only pure comic relief character I can think of from the first two seasons was the real estate agent in Murder House; I doubt they brought on an Oscar nominee without planning to give her something bigger to do.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Rando posted:

Witchcraft as a genetic affliction? Really?

What happened to the study of spells and incantations and pacts with dark powers and poo poo like that?

They...did it a different way? I don't know what to tell you other than that they can make their story anything they want it to be.

Rando posted:

Making it some inheritable something-or-other is five different kinds of retarded. It really is just The X-Men by another name.

W-Girlz.

I too like making pronouncements about entire series based on the premiere.

C'mon, Rogue never raped anybody to death as far as I'm aware. It didn't happen on her first appearance, that's for drat sure.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

haveblue posted:

I'm trying not to read the reactions, but did anyone else have any reception problems tonight? I haven't been able to watch the episode yet because FX HD is constantly glitching out and freezing for a couple of seconds (Time Warner in NYC).

Also have TWC NYC (sadly), and we could barely watch at all. It wasn't fixed by the third airing at 1, but there were torrents by then and I wasn't sleeping anyway.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Taliaquin posted:

Yeah, they're really neglecting him. You'd think it would be a bigger deal.

Eh, one episode offscreen isn't a biggie given what they put him through two weeks ago. There'll have to be progress in that arc when they do bring him back.

Kind of disappointed that Queenie is so easily manipulated, though hopefully that's just a blind.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

fullroundaction posted:

Another thing that bothered me last night was Cordelia going from "I want to have a baby with my husband who I love and defend" to seeing a fuzzy vision and then sending him away without any sort of ... conversation or whatever. That's just not how relationships work / people deal with things (except when the plot demands it).

I think things would probably work differently for people who knew that said visions were accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

American Horror Story: Ipecac & Enemas

• Locked thread