Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uptown
May 16, 2009
I really liked S1. It's got a lot of family drama, some tense/scary bits, some really sad parts, and some funny parts. So, exactly this vvv

Sydney Bottocks posted:

You know how S2 was a huge mash-up of horror tropes, urban legends, paranormal stories, and real-life events? S1 is the same thing, but different. :v:

I can't wait til the premiere of Coven! That Jessica Lange-shaped hole in my heart needs filling, and with Kathy Bates joining the cast, I may implode of happiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uptown
May 16, 2009

Coconut Indian posted:

The first episode of season one has a main character crying and masturbating at the same time crysturbating while looking out a window buck rear end naked, so there's that.

*It may not have been the first episode, maybe the second?

ftfy

uptown
May 16, 2009

Taliaquin posted:

I feel like nothing really happened in this episode and yet I still loved it. It's fun and grotesque, and so far I think Murphy & Co. are managing the lighter-hearted tone well.

I'm wondering about the Minotaur, though -- Marie is a powerful voodooienne, so why can't she heal her lover? Or maybe she and the guy decided to really go with the idea of monstrosity, since what they're assumed to be anyway, or she's so angry that she'd rather be monstrous.

Maybe she's mad that he cheated on her?

uptown
May 16, 2009
I adore AHS, but I'm desperate for more Addie/Nan. I feel like she'll play a larger part soon, so fingers crossed.

uptown
May 16, 2009
Thoughts on this episode...

I loved Nan's "...and guys find me hot." So :3:

I can't stand FrankenTate. Someone mentioned that it sucks that Evan Peters hasn't spoken in two episodes, and I completely agree. Also, obviously the witches are used to supernatural weird poo poo happening, dumping Tate (what's his name? Kyle?) at his mother's door and loving off before making sure she wouldn't have killed him was unwise. She might have just been letting him in so that she could call a priest and burn him to death! And if I were IncestMom, I probably would have, you know, called the cops or a doctor to report that my son was still alive and probably brain damaged.

I find LaLaurie actually quite sympathetic. Yes, she was a horrible person before she was buried alive and still hasn't changed one bit, but Kathy Bates plays her so well. Her sadness about her kids being hung, her fear of Minotaur Man... I don't know. I just feel sorry for her even though she would probably chain me to a stove and whip me periodically for being darker skinned than she is. Also, "lieessssssssss."

uptown fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 27, 2013

uptown
May 16, 2009

ThatPazuzu posted:

I'm not sure and I don't think it's been fully explained but I think it's punishment for having an affair.

Yes, this is what I think too.

Taliaquin posted:

Zoe's kind of dumb right now. She seems really naive, and I think these things just honestly don't occur to her. And I think IncestMom, considering that she's been raping her son for God knows how long, doesn't really care. One of my friends pointed out that what struck her is IncestMom's focus on Kyle's body being what's different; she (my friend) said that she wondered if some of the emotional distress (like him sitting in silence and kind of rocking) is something she's actually seen him do even before he died. And her focus on his body makes it seem so much like she doesn't really care about him, despite believing she does.

Oh. Good point. :smith:

uptown
May 16, 2009

fullroundaction posted:

I tried to describe the general plots of AHS S2/S3 to a coworker today and there's no way to have it not sound ridiculous, even though they totally make it work.

You see there's this sanitarium where leatherface, nazis, aliens, medical monstrosities, and literally-the-devil ...

And then there's this house where witches, a golem, zombies, voodoo priestesses, and a minotaur...

At least with S1 you can just say "it's a haunted house and ghost do spoopy stuff".

e: also everyone gets raped/rapes

Pardon me sir, but his name is Bloodyface.

Does anybody else follow Jamie Brewer (Addie/Nan) on Twitter? I find her very adorable, she RTs her fans and seems very accessible and down-to-earth.

uptown
May 16, 2009
I thought that Lange was absolutely fantastic this week in her scenes with Cordelia - The screaming in the bar, the attack on the doctor, and the drug-addled hallway walk were all just perfect. I was crying when she was talking to the mother of the stillborn, and thought that she would actually trade Cordelia's life for the baby's in order to make amends. Giving a daughter to someone who deserves one, you know?

Week after week I am amazed by Kathy Bates' portrayal of LaLaurie. She is playing her so drat sympathetically. She knows she was a terrible mother and she can never make amends, and feels absolutely terrible about it. It's brilliant how I can feel sorry for this woman, who at the beginning of the episode was getting a suitor to reach into a bowl of eyeballs and threatening to feed her daughter a pile of poo poo.

I'm glad that Spaulding has gotten a bit more of a role in the show over the past few weeks - Someone mentioned that you look at him and see the creepy old butler, then expect that to be subverted with the doll scene, but then you realize "nope, that's a doll made of dead Madison."

TheBizzness posted:

Try American Snuggle Story on FXX

Ugh, a show about cuddle parties would be the worst kind of horror.

uptown
May 16, 2009
...wouldn't you?

uptown
May 16, 2009

haveblue posted:

Tonight on American Horror Story: "The Dead"

Queenie develops doubts about LaLaurie. Meanwhile, Fiona becomes involved in a dangerous love affair.

I'm not sure what "doubts" you can have about an immortal sadistic racist that weren't obvious from day one, but Queenie doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed here.

"Don't you want to love me?

uptown
May 16, 2009
I always watch AHS a little later than the rest of you, but I'm so surprised nobody liveposted "I'm starting to understand why you are so enormous!" and I am VERY surprised that "This Sunday night, I'm making gumbo" isn't the new thread title.

Other thoughts:
-I hate Zoe. "I'm going to kill Kyle." *10 seconds later* "I DON'T WANT YOU TO DIE"

-Nobody doesn't like Queenie because she's black! They're all bitches to each other, get over yourself and stop seeing racism where there isn't any.

-I found Fiona and Axeman kind of boring, apparently unlike everybody else in this thread. It was just so... blah to me. I was thinking he'd try to kill her at least, but nope. Just "I was a pedophile ghost and now that you're old and wrinkly, let's gently caress."

-Kathy Bates having a friend was so :3: and I was so sad to see her caged again. She was just starting to redeem herself and I know that she'll win Queenie over again, but ugh. I can't believe how much I like her character, even though real Delphine was a horrible piece of garbage who would have deserved these things.

-Oh good, Spaulding/Riff Raff/Russell Edgington can talk again! Oh poo poo, he's (temporarily) dead. On one hand, I kind of hope he stays dead and only appears from now on in flashbacks. But on the other, that means he won't really be talking so maybe he should come back?

-Where the gently caress was Nan this week?

uptown
May 16, 2009
But she asked! If you were being truly honest with someone you thought was your one true friend, then why wouldn't you tell her? May I remind you all that Queenie asked "What is the worst thing you've done?" not "What do you mildly regret?"

uptown
May 16, 2009
I thought this episode kind of... Sucked. I was okay with the resurrections until now - even Myrtle, because she was going to stir up some poo poo. But there was no point in Fiona's almost suicide or in Spalding coming back as a goddamn ghost. Why doesn't Fiona just kill all the witches and have it done with? There you go, still Supreme. Why was Religious Enema Mother brought back? Why isn't FrankenKyle dead yet? I hate him so, so much.

uptown
May 16, 2009

hepscat posted:

There's just no tension.

None whatsoever. Someone died? Oh never mind, they're back. Exploded in a bus flipping? Throat slit? Stabbed by a bunch of witches? Burnt at the stake? No problem, we have the technology/swamp water to bring them back! I'm thinking LaLaurie will have her head and hand reattached by the 10th episode. Swamp mud cures all!

uptown
May 16, 2009
I stopped watching Asylum when Anne Frank showed up, but then I got back into it. So there are two episodes in the middle that I just... never watched.

uptown
May 16, 2009

evenworse username posted:

?? This was before she got burned at the stake though.

Acid burn

uptown
May 16, 2009
What a goddamn waste of time.

uptown
May 16, 2009
It would have been cool, say, right after the first mention of the Wonders.

uptown
May 16, 2009

Nichael posted:

I would've preferred an entire season of Papa Legba drinking hot chocolate and snorting up. Lance Reddick is hilarious.

More marshmallows.

uptown
May 16, 2009
I was so hoping for Fiona to kill Cordelia during their hug. When she collapsed in her arms I actually said out loud, "you've gotta be kidding me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uptown
May 16, 2009

Postal Parcel posted:

Spalding now possesses the body of Tate. When he's not in !Tate mode, he's in pure Spalding AD/BL Sissykiss tumblr mode.
He also keeps his black baby upstairs and will make it the new minotaur.

I'm surprised they didn't show him pretending to bury Madison's body and then cutting back to her being his RealDoll again… I don't really see why they didn't do that.

• Locked thread