Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I'm going to have a lot of fun deliberately mispronouncing the name of this show...

Koh-Ven, not Kuh-Ven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
No, it's Koh-Ven, as in "oh" or "doh".

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Also they keep talking about magic granting life having consequences, but we haven't seen any real consequences yet.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

ThatPazuzu posted:

Have you been skipping all of Kyle's scenes or what?

Kyle's behavior is because of psychological trauma/sexual abuse. Powerful witches have stated several times in the show that magic dealing with creating or granting life has serious (magical) consequences. So far we've seen several resurrected witches and a resurrected baby, but no consequences to those actions. Yet.

If it was so easy to bring people back to life, why would witches be dying at all? There must be a reason why it's not commonly done.

As for Cage selling the house in 2009, it's pretty well known that a lot of Hollywood types like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie were seriously invested in Bernie Madoff's ventures and lost a poo poo ton of money. This is why a lot of well-established actors started doing crappier movies around that time - they needed to reup their retirement funds.

bad day fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 20, 2013

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Well what other options do you have when your husband fucks his slaves and gropes them in front of you? I mean, realistically given the time period. Other than doing nothing, I can't really think of another solution.

Presumably she killed the husband at some point?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

ThatPazuzu posted:

You really can't think of another solution to that problem than infanticide?

No seriously given the patriarchy and nature of the times the only solution other than ignoring and do absolutely nothing would be to sell off the mother and child, which would require the approval or involvement of the husband who likely would not approve. If you can think of a third option please post it here.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Captain Mog posted:

Witchcraft was around in England long before Salem.

Only half-true. No European magic-based practice survived the Middle Ages, basically. Or at least there is no historical evidence to show that it did. Freemasonry/Gnosticism begat all the late 19th and 20th Century mystery cults and everything practiced today (wicca/satanism/discordianism/etc) is a direct continuation of that or based on Christian mythology.

Of course slaves would be familiar with African/Caribbean magic traditions, and native Americans had their own shamans and stuff. The idea that there are old ways of witchcraft passed down in an unbroken line is a fiction - all of those people were wiped out or assimilated into Christian society hundreds of years ago.

Which is what makes the Salem witch trials even sadder - there were no witches. Just some young girls learning African and Caribbean traditions from slaves, probably.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Relax, I think it's a script.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
There was a really cool concept that they barely touched upon in the first season which I wish they would have picked up in subsequent seasons - that the murder house was a manifestation of some sort of lovecraftian forces trying to break through into our world from another plane/dimension/etc. I don't want a continuity per say but it would have been cool if they picked up this thread in Asylum. But they didn't.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Agreed, if there's one thing horror needs is to have everything explained and laid out for you.

I don't think you understand what I mean. In the last episode of the first season, they talk about how the house is a manifestation of otherworldly forces trying to break into this universe. I forget when, exactly, but it was one of the Jessica Lange scenes. There's this idea presented that there is a plan at work, that these forces have a goal.

Asylum picks up part of this theme with the aliens, but clearly they have nothing to do with the murder house/antichrist/etc.. There's no continuity between seasons one and two, the otherworldly forces are different and have different goals/plans.

I just thought this was a compelling idea from season one - that the events taking place are part of a larger schema that will play out over time, and that it would be cool if subsequent seasons showed us other aspects of the plan, leading up to some overarching story (apocalypse? I dunno). But they didn't do that. And I was just saying it'd be cool if they had done that.

But I guess you're a retard who can't understand words and feels the need to make sarcastic comments about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I thought making the immortal severed head of the former slaveowner watch Roots was pretty humorous.

• Locked thread