Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Hopefully this is a return to a more grounded story like season 1.

Asylum wasn't scary to me because they went way over the top throwing in horror tropes. It was like a commercial haunted house attraction or something, which is great for an episode of something. Not a whole season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
Just caught up on the first episode. Not bad, though the protagonists seem to again be on the bottom of the writers' concern list.

Of course the A-list actors make the villains work. I'll probably stick around for more unless it veers straight into absurdity right away.

Also got to say I read about the LaLaurie slaves mutilation incident in a book called "Ghost Stories of Old New Orleans" years ago, and that's one heck of a disturbing version. I don't think the show can get that skin crawling with it, but that story has always horrified me.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is a horror story told from the monsters' point of view.

I would agree. I wondered at first if the characters were just hollow, but I think it's more thematic. They *are* the Carrie/old hag type supernatural women of folktale you don't want to come across. Their power is too strong to be reigned in so they simply accept that they're trouble for the world and go about covering it up after the fact. That interpretation is growing on me at any rate.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
I think like True Blood this show has the weakness of trying to cover too much ground. Pretty much everything from suspense to character development relies on a slow burn, and instead they just have giant casts and all sorts of subplots. I hate to channel my high school art teacher but "less is more!"

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

johntfs posted:

But like the right-wing religious nuts on some shows that have a change of perspective that gives them a sense of tolerance and compassion, I went back to the show last night to give it another chance. And I saw the tongueless butler in a woman's nighty try to pull Madison's corpse out of the chest in which he'd stored it so he could dance with/molest it, at which point one of the corpse's arms snapped off.

To be honest I just saw that scene as a dark comedy gag. You see that oaf with a doll collection in his dress, and you think well ok maybe he's just a really sad individual. Then he opens the box... nope, it was exactly as creepy as it looked.

Overall, I think I'm starting to actually get interested in this season though. At least the characters are crossing paths in some kind of plot and not just all over the place being shocking.

• Locked thread