Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Hekk posted:

Have any thoughts on GBACW? I have a punched and clipped copy of Into the Woods sitting on my shelf for the past couple of years that I’ve never gotten on the table. I know comparing tactical scale (GBACW) to operational (GCACW) is apples to oranges but I’m curious whether one might scratch a similar itch as the other since the focus is ACW for both.

I understand that GCACW is extremely well regarded but it’s also fairly expensive. I don’t know that I am several hundreds of dollars interested in the series.

I don't have a lot of experience (and most of it is from long long ago) but I found it not worth it. Doesn't justify the time and effort it takes to deal with all the tracking. Would probably be better online where it's easier to deal with that, but then you could get a copy of the rules and scenarios for something like Line of Battle and play that. My thought is if I want to play something in the fashion of GBACW I'd play a Blind Swords game, much quicker, easier, and engaging. In comparison to GCACW, that series actually does justify all of it's extra tracking with the scale and time frames of the campaigns it's simulating. Although they are very different games, one will not scratch the itch for the other. GCACW is far more about ongoing maneuver and jockeying for position while GBACW is battle lines clashing and plugging holes until you roll up one side with enough left over to have a cascading effect.

The one thing I am fairly confident is don't start with Into the Woods! Get Death Valley if you want good value for money, or pick literally just about any other one you can get your hands on. GBACW tries to be detailed with line of sight and movement and none of the base game rules work for Into the Woods battles. So much so they practically rewrote huge chunks of the core rules as game specific rules for it. I haven't played it but just reading the rules is enough to say, at the minimum, it's going to feel significantly different trying to play it over an another GBACW game.

nessin fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

SelenicMartian posted:

With how long Downfall takes you'll have to dust the physical board regularly for the pics, too.

Lol, I assure you as an OCS/BCS/GTS player, Downfall probably doesn't take that long....

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was watching someone do an unboxing of the latest ASL product, Twilight of the Reich, and he mentioned that there was such a thing as an "electronic ASL rulebook"

so I looked around and found this:

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/344879/Electronic-Advanced-Squad-Leader-Rulebook

now, the last time I had played ASL, it was 2017 and while I do own the full binder rulebook and Beyond Valor (and Starter Kit 1), there was a time when trying to look up rules on the computer meant going through less-than-scrupulous means, but I figure that with this and the VASSAL system, I should be able to play the game completely digitally and legit, right? I'd just need to look up some scenarios, and those seem available elsewhere

does anyone own this product? any feedback I should be aware of?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Nah you've got it. It's the same as owning the rulebook plus any additional rulebook stuff like the PTO and desert theater and Korean module... Basically something I never thought would exist in any legit way and something that makes me want to get back into ASL

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was watching someone do an unboxing of the latest ASL product, Twilight of the Reich, and he mentioned that there was such a thing as an "electronic ASL rulebook"

so I looked around and found this:

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/344879/Electronic-Advanced-Squad-Leader-Rulebook

now, the last time I had played ASL, it was 2017 and while I do own the full binder rulebook and Beyond Valor (and Starter Kit 1), there was a time when trying to look up rules on the computer meant going through less-than-scrupulous means, but I figure that with this and the VASSAL system, I should be able to play the game completely digitally and legit, right? I'd just need to look up some scenarios, and those seem available elsewhere

does anyone own this product? any feedback I should be aware of?

The electronic rulebook is legit and has received multiple updates
I dont think theres a plan to make a version that includes the HASL-specific rules because something something versioning and ownership is hard to do in those circumstances.

Its like how the Journals and Annuals (and Special Ops) magazines, for the most part, got digitized. MMP has yet to make the journals past 10 available, and same goes for SPOPS after... 8? But the rest are available at a better price youll ever find on ebay or 2nd hand

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also those scenarios look like Squad Leader, not ASL scenarios - no SAN or ELR numbers and different counter artwork are dead giveaways.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Count Thrashula posted:

Nah you've got it. It's the same as owning the rulebook plus any additional rulebook stuff like the PTO and desert theater and Korean module... Basically something I never thought would exist in any legit way and something that makes me want to get back into ASL

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The electronic rulebook is legit and has received multiple updates

thanks! I know what I'm doing this weekend

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Also those scenarios look like Squad Leader, not ASL scenarios - no SAN or ELR numbers and different counter artwork are dead giveaways.

good catch, thank you also.

this one would be a true ASL scenario, right? I see SAN and ELR.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Looks to be it. Ive got plenty of free scenarios cultivated from the web I don't mind sharing if you ping me on discord.

Edit: also the ASL logo in the top right. Dunno when thay was officially introduced though

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I suggest the Classic ASL scenarios if you're just dipping into ASL (or re-dipping?)

https://mmpgamers.com/support/asl/classic.zip

They're all fantastic and start out pretty simple.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hey, did you ever get any further with your "play the whole war in ASL" project?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The LP is still on going, they've been going through the SCW for quite a while now.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

Hey, did you ever get any further with your "play the whole war in ASL" project?

If you read the thread about it! :smuggo:

Im very much behind on posting completed scenarios to it, but have finally achieved German invasion of Polamd status as of this month!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The streams arent popular, but I still hold them twice weekly whenever possible.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The streams arent popular, but I still hold them twice weekly whenever possible.

ASL is one of those games where if I have the time and energy to dedicate to it, I’d rather play something myself than watch someone else play in real time. It’s a fascinating system but it’s brain burner and the pace is kind of glacial.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hekk posted:

ASL is one of those games where if I have the time and energy to dedicate to it, I’d rather play something myself than watch someone else play in real time. It’s a fascinating system but it’s brain burner and the pace is kind of glacial.

Hey I'm not saying my stuff is a must watch, I just use it to be able to document it. Play it at 1.5x speed, watch it in the background, whatever, I just think its cool to put it on video to see what the scenarios are like and how they play :)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Finished the Crete LP. Was a lot of fun and enjoyed the system quite a lot. Gonna be thinking about more GTS LP projects since it was a breeze to go through this one in 3 weeks.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tekopo posted:

Finished the Crete LP. Was a lot of fun and enjoyed the system quite a lot. Gonna be thinking about more GTS LP projects since it was a breeze to go through this one in 3 weeks.

One day I think there should be a Wargames LP thread where peeps volunteer to play every WW2 wargame published.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

RIP whoever volunteers to play Campaign for North Africa.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

RIP whoever volunteers to play Campaign for North Africa.

I volunteer Tekopo as tribute.
On a more seirous note I might try to do one for a BCS game.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I feel like I offered to do CFNA like 5 years ago and even remade part of the map back when I was called Cool Corn

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

tomdidiot posted:

I volunteer Tekopo as tribute.
On a more seirous note I might try to do one for a BCS game.
I think BCS solo LP would work pretty well. Just don't do Baptism, it's not that interesting.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
n/a

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tekopo posted:

I think BCS solo LP would work pretty well. Just don't do Baptism, it's not that interesting.
VoT, but all air combat resolved in Air War.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

EotS but all operations are resolved in PacWar

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Please look forward to the up-and-coming LP for GTS: Strike-Counterstrike, coming this weekend. I hope you like tanks!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

Please look forward to the up-and-coming LP for GTS: Strike-Counterstrike, coming this weekend. I hope you like tanks!

Nice! Good luck!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tekopo posted:

hell yeah

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Stoked

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

Tanks!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Say hello to the Strike - Counter Strike thread, found here!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I can see how wide open spaces and units that can move more than, at most, 2-3 hexes per activation really changes the dynamics of the game. Operation Mercury was almost a WWI fight in that respect.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to wrap my head around ASL's concealment rules, and I'd like to ask if I'm grasping the basics correctly:

- the game starts, and the person who is setting up first gets to place the concealment counters [and units underneath the counters, if they like] that the scenario OOB allots to them ... but only in terrain listed in red on the Terrain Chart
-- examples of concealment terrain would be woods, orchard, grain, and wood & stone buildings

- the opponent then does the same

- then, every unit that does NOT have a concealment counter on it, will get one, if:
-- a unit is 17 hexes or farther from the nearest unbroken enemy unit
-- or, a unit is closer than 17 hexes to enemy units, but is not in LOS

- when firing against units underneath a concealment counter, the FP is halved; and this is one of the big reasons why a player would want to move in such a way as to preserve concealment
-- concealment can be removed from units, if they're attacked with a fire result that's enough to trigger at least a PTC (i.e., when making a 4 FP attack, the FP gets cut in half to 2 due to concealment, and then the DR has to be a 6 or lower to remove concealment, any higher means the concealment stays)

- a common way for a concealed unit, to lose concealment, would be if they move into an open hex within LOS of an enemy, or if they open fire

- units that have lost concealment, can regain it, generally by breaking LOS with all Good Order enemy units and being in concealment terrain, or by rolling a Final Concealment dr of 5 or less if they're within 17 hexes of enemy units but are in concealment terrain (plus modifiers)

I'm obviously skipping over a LOT of exceptions and special cases, but that seems to be the gist?

the way you would use this, besides the obvious deception tactic of getting the enemy to "waste" shots on a concealment counter that doesn't have anything underneath it, would be to, approach an enemy position, moving only from non-open hex to non-open hex to preserve concealment, so that any fire thrown against you is only at half FP. You'd still lose the concealment in, say, the final open hex when you move adjacent to the enemy, but at least you'd reduce the strength/volume of fire you'd take coming in - if the enemy is stingy and only takes low FP shots, then the PTC doesn't get triggered and you keep concealment (notwithstanding that concealment already cuts the FP in half), but if they dump a high FP attack on someone... even if they strip the concealment, they can't be doing that to every stack that's coming in

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around ASL's concealment rules, and I'd like to ask if I'm grasping the basics correctly:

- the game starts, and the person who is setting up first gets to place the concealment counters [and units underneath the counters, if they like] that the scenario OOB allots to them ... but only in terrain listed in red on the Terrain Chart
-- examples of concealment terrain would be woods, orchard, grain, and wood & stone buildings

- the opponent then does the same

- then, every unit that does NOT have a concealment counter on it, will get one, if:
-- a unit is 17 hexes or farther from the nearest unbroken enemy unit
-- or, a unit is closer than 17 hexes to enemy units, but is not in LOS

- when firing against units underneath a concealment counter, the FP is halved; and this is one of the big reasons why a player would want to move in such a way as to preserve concealment
-- concealment can be removed from units, if they're attacked with a fire result that's enough to trigger at least a PTC (i.e., when making a 4 FP attack, the FP gets cut in half to 2 due to concealment, and then the DR has to be a 6 or lower to remove concealment, any higher means the concealment stays)

- a common way for a concealed unit, to lose concealment, would be if they move into an open hex within LOS of an enemy, or if they open fire

- units that have lost concealment, can regain it, generally by breaking LOS with all Good Order enemy units and being in concealment terrain, or by rolling a Final Concealment dr of 5 or less if they're within 17 hexes of enemy units but are in concealment terrain (plus modifiers)

I'm obviously skipping over a LOT of exceptions and special cases, but that seems to be the gist?

the way you would use this, besides the obvious deception tactic of getting the enemy to "waste" shots on a concealment counter that doesn't have anything underneath it, would be to, approach an enemy position, moving only from non-open hex to non-open hex to preserve concealment, so that any fire thrown against you is only at half FP. You'd still lose the concealment in, say, the final open hex when you move adjacent to the enemy, but at least you'd reduce the strength/volume of fire you'd take coming in - if the enemy is stingy and only takes low FP shots, then the PTC doesn't get triggered and you keep concealment (notwithstanding that concealment already cuts the FP in half), but if they dump a high FP attack on someone... even if they strip the concealment, they can't be doing that to every stack that's coming in

Taking a PTC [or worse] automatically causes loss of Concealment.

Concealment GAIN happens under 3 circumstances.

- Outside of all enemy LOS
- Outside of all enemy LOS, but within 16 hexes of the nearest enemy (Requires dr of 5 or less)
- Inside of any enemy LOS, but outside of 16 hexes to the nearest enemy and in concealment terrain (Requires dr of 5 or less)

If you check the Concealment Gain/Loss table you'll see Case I, J, and K.

Movement into an open hex may drop concealment, but hindrance can negate that. A10.531 is a great little thing to understand for that purpose.

Don't forget about residual firepower!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Your opponent can strip concealment a few other ways in their movement phase too.

A12.15 - Concealment can also be lost due to attempted enemy movement (not advance) into a concealed unit’s location. Whenever a non-berserk infantry/non-charging Cavalry unit attempts to move into a Location containing a concealed unit during the MPh the DEFENDER must immediately reveal at least one concealed unit in that Location and thereby force the moving unit back to the last Location occupied before entering his Location.

A12.152 Searching: As each Good Order Infantry/Cavalry MMC, or moving stack that contains greater than or equal to one MMC, ends its move it may attempt to reveal concealed enemy units in Accessible hexes by expending one additional MF in its present hex and making a Search dr, provided that all units making the attempt are neither Pinned nor using Assault Movement.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Taking a PTC [or worse] automatically causes loss of Concealment.

by this I assume you mean that, if the firer rolls an IFT result equivalent to a PTC [or worse], then Concealment is lost, regardless of whether or not the unit passes the check.

okay, that's clear.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Movement into an open hex may drop concealment, but hindrance can negate that. A10.531 is a great little thing to understand for that purpose.

thanks for this. I had to understand the difference between an open hex as a literal terrain type, versus an "open hex" in the context of "does not grant FFMO in a hypothetical shooting scenario"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

by this I assume you mean that, if the firer rolls an IFT result equivalent to a PTC [or worse], then Concealment is lost, regardless of whether or not the unit passes the check.

okay, that's clear.

Correct. Dummies don't actually take morale checks except under specific circumstances, like Bombardment.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Just got Skrmisher #4 which comes with GCACW Mine Run and Bristoe, and on the back is a little bit of the map for the next game (i think), GCACW Vicksburg.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

Just got Skrmisher #4 which comes with GCACW Mine Run and Bristoe, and on the back is a little bit of the map for the next game (i think), GCACW Vicksburg.

You called it!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Why is that man holding a bomb over someone's dream of a sailing race?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Wait this is GBACW game number FOURTEEN?? I know I've been out of the board wargaming scene for a bit but jeez.