Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Only one more season of boring boring club football before we get to the proper stuff: A World Cup in Brazil.

Last time they had a World Cup it didn't go too well, half of the country killed themselves after Brazil lost in the final match to Uruguay.

=======================
2012-13 in International Football
=======================

Brazil remembered how to play football and won the Confederations Cup

Nigeria won the African Cup of Nations

T USMNT w t CONCACAF GC

Gareth Bale scored a really good goal against Scotland in the last minute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gq0obYuAbc

Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored a goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiOjkXp1-MI

Germany threw away a 4 goal lead with half an hour to go in a qualifier with Sweden :laugh:

A new footballing nation emerges, Gibraltar joins UEFA despite Spains best efforts.

=======================
Qualifying for the 2014 World Cup
=======================

AFC (Asia)

Australia, Iran, Japan, and South Korea have qualified for the World Cup. Uzbekistan and Jordan will face each other in a playoff, the winner will take on the 5th placed team in South American qualifying for a place in Brazil.

===========================

CAF (Africa)

The winners of each group advance to a round of two legged knock out ties, with the five winners going to the World Cup.

CONCACAF (North America)

Top three go through, 4th place goes to a play off with New Zealand (winners of OFC qualifying) for a place in the World Cup.

CONMEBOL (South America)

Top four go to the World Cup, 5th place goes to a play off with the winner from Jordan vs Uzbekistan.

OFC (Oceania)

New Zealand won OFC qualifying, and will face the 4th placed team from North America for a place in Brazil.

UEFA (Europe)

Group winners qualify for the World Cup. The eight best runners up will play off for the four remaining spots.

San Marino, The Faroe Islands and Scotland are the only teams from UEFA that can't qualify for the World Cup.

==============
Dates for your Diary
==============

Remaining qualifying matches and playoffs will be played on:

6th-10th September 2013

11th-15th October 2013

13th-20th November 2013

The draw for the World Cup will be on December 6th

The World Cup will be from 12th June to 13th July 2014 :woop: :toot:

There are some friendlies next week, and then probably some in February and March, and again after the end of the season.

Football. SOKAH!

atomic gog fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Great OP, OP!

Reposting from the old thread, here's the Republic of Ireland squad for the friendly against Wales on Wednesday.

Goalkeepers:
1 David Forde (Millwall) Injured
16 Keiren Westwood (Sunderland)
23 Darren Randolph (Birmingham City)

Defenders:
2 Séamus Coleman (Everton)
3 Darren O'Dea (Metalurh Donetsk)
4 John O'Shea (Sunderland)
5 Sean St Ledger (Leicester City) Injured
12 Stephen Kelly (Reading)
13 Paul McShane (Hull City)
14 Marc Wilson (Stoke City)
18 Ciaran Clark (Aston Villa)

Midfielders:
6 Glenn Whelan (Stoke City)
7 Aiden McGeady (Spartak Moscow) Injured
8 James McCarthy (Wigan Athletic)
11 James McClean (Sunderland Wigan Athletic)
15 Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City)
21 Stephen Quinn (Hull City) Injured
22 Jeff Hendrick (Derby County)
28 David Meyler (Hull City)
29 Paul Green (Leeds United)
28 Robbie Brady (Hull City)
27 Anthony Pilkington (Norwich City) Injured

Forwards:
9 Shane Long (West Bromwich Albion)
19 Simon Cox (Nottingham Forest) Injured
20 Conor Sammon (Derby County)
26 Jonathan Walters (Stoke City)

Paddy Madden's on standby currently, it'd be great to see him get a call-up. I'd rather see him play than Conor "loving" Sammon. West Ham's Stephen Henderson was called up when Forde got injured, too.

I'd rather see Joey O'Brien instead of Paul McShane, and literally any other loving player in the entire loving world over Paul Green, but what can you do.

Pilkington's injuries and weddings are starting to take the piss.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 10, 2013

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

I guess this is international related. The FA now seems to support playing the World Cup 2022 in the winter? Of all the federations, FA were the one I thought would resist the most.

Interview with Greg Dyke, chairman of the FA.

quote:

"I think it will either have to be moved out of the summer or it will have to be moved to another location. And I suspect the former is more likely than the latter."
"I think it's now genuinely becoming accepted that you can't play it in Qatar in the summer and I think that will be our position."
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12098/8863360/world-cup-greg-dyke-says-the-fa-would-back-a-date-switch-for-the-2022-world-cup

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That might actually benefit England tbh.

Grondal
Jan 14, 2010
Im rooting for Iceland and Israel to qualify. Both seem to have a real chance.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Good OP, I hope that both the EMNT and CMNT can both qualify for their first ever world cups, also every other team thats never been to a world cup, but particularly those two.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I'm rooting for the TMNT myself, up the greens!

In NLMNT ('the Orange Devils') news, Sneijder and van Gaal had a tiff about the former allegedly not being up to playing international matches, or something. Louis left him out of the squad and a decidedly unhilarious media skirmish followed.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

irlZaphod posted:

Reposting from the old thread, here's the Republic of Ireland squad for the friendly against Wales on Wednesday.

Here's the Gareth Bale and the Wales MNT squad, brought to you by Vauxhall:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
How's he going to get that in the locker room?

skirth
Oct 29, 2010

Gordon Strachan unveiling the squad that will beat England

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Pissflaps posted:

How's he going to get that in the locker room?

In reverse, very carefully

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

skirth posted:

Gordon Strachan unveiling the squad that will beat England

What the hell is going on

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Photoshop thread idea: teamsheets written on things you wouldn't expect them to be written on?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I hope Hodgson's above all this, it's rather unbecoming.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I hope he scratches it into the paintwork of a big fuckoff Lamborghini.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Pissflaps posted:

I hope he scratches it into the paintwork of a big fuckoff Lamborghini.

I doubt this flaps. He's a wise old bird.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I doubt Albania will make it much further, but I am completely shocked they're in second place in their group.

Can't wait for this whole shebang to kick off.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

atomic gog posted:

Here's the Gareth Bale and the Wales MNT squad, brought to you by Vauxhall:

That just seems dangerous, surely the driver's vision would be obscured?

e: They're dropping like flies, St. Ledger's injured now too. At this rate, Wales will be playing against our U21 squad.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Top marks

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Soulex posted:

Can't wait for this whole shebang to kick off.
Yeah, typical Albanian behaviour, would be nice if they could finally follow the rest of Europe into civilisation tbh.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Chris de Sperg posted:

Yeah, typical Albanian behaviour, would be nice if they could finally follow the rest of Europe into civilisation tbh.

I would too. This country needs a lot before it can be considered into "officially" being in the EU (regardless that they wave their flag all over the place.) Public transportation between cities is a must, road work, infrastructure considering basic ammendities. Something about the Gypsie problem.

Seriously gently caress gypsies, I had one spit on me because I didn't give him money.

Albania has a LOT of growing, unfortunately, it's government is corrupt, much like the rest of the country. Until Serpico comes in, or the people get REALLY sick of it, I don't see a lot changing. I wish it would though.

They're in NATO currently, which I think will eventually help them reach EU status. Sadly, the reasons I listed above will prevent them from reaching that status. Also living there is loving dirt cheap. On Vacation, I typically spend $1-200 over a period of a week plus. That's on food, a hotel or two if I need, and basic poo poo. A beer in the US at a bar will cost you 3-4 bucks. In Albania, the same beer (let's say Heineken) will cost you about a buck fifty.

Visiting is great, living is different.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

In international news not about next week, apparently Adnan Januzaj is going to come up for the Albanian national team and not the Red Devils.

So let me say the poo poo's overrated and I hope we put it up 'em next time.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

belgend posted:

In international news not about next week, apparently Adnan Januzaj is going to come up for the Albanian national team and not the Red Devils.

So let me say the poo poo's overrated and I hope we put it up 'em next time.
Who wants to be in the Albanian national team? Honestly. Hope we get Bakkali, at least.

R. Mute fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 10, 2013

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

R. Mute posted:

Who wants to be in the Albanian national team? Honestly.

Apparently his dad fought in Albania when poo poo Hit The Fan in the Balkan and he's pressured Adnan to refuse any youth team call ups from either country so he'd be more inclinced to go for Albania.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

belgend posted:

Apparently his dad fought in Albania when poo poo Hit The Fan in the Balkan and he's pressured Adnan to refuse any youth team call ups from either country so he'd be more inclinced to go for Albania.

More likely the Albanian FA has made (or the dad is wrangling for) a big payoff to the family, probably a new house, car, etc. Bosnia does the same poo poo.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Sweden vs Norway on wednesday night in Stockholm. Zlatan is going to crush us.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Here is a somewhat complete list of refereeing assignments for tomorrow. I bolded a few that that it seems people will probably be most interested in based on how often I see one of the teams posted about

Bosnia-Herzegovina : United States - SKOMINA (SVN)
Hungary : Czech Republic - WEBB (ENG)
Mexico : Cote d'Ivoire - GANTAR (CAN)
Italy : Argentina - STARK (GER)
Portugal : Netherlands - MAZZOLENI (ITA)
Ecuador : Spain - ROLDAN (COL)
Belgium : France - THOMSON (SCO)
Sweden : Norway - OLIVER (ENG)
Germany : Paraguy - BEBEK (CRO)
Switzerland : Brazil - AYTEKIN (GER)
Turkey : Ghana - JUG (SVN)
Ukraine : Israel - KRUZLIAK (SVK)
Austria : Greece - TRUTZ (SVK)
Romania : Slovakia - DOYLE (IRL)
Finland : Slovenia - EVANS (WAL)
Japan : Uruguay - MARCINIAK (POL)
Poland : Denmark - YAMAMOTO (JPN)

England : Scotland is interesting. They got a referee from each of four countries that hosted the WC when an English referee worked the final. The crew is

R: Felix Brych (GER)
AR1: Alessandro Rocha De Matos (BRA)
AR2: Enock Molefe (RSA)
4th: Alain Bieri (SUI)

The most interesting assignment to me, though, is the Portugal Netherlands one. This game can be a tough one, as the 2006 World Cup showed us. Mazzoleni is a relatively inexperienced international referee. He has only worked 3 full internationals, but one of those was France Germany. Also, he has been in Serie A since 05 so I guess the Italian FA feels he is ready for a game like this. I'm curious to see if he handles it as well as our Russian friend did back then.

Excited to see Skomina be on the US game.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

German Referee? Thats it we've lost then pack it up lads

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Mazzoleni's done a few big derbies in Serie A and has done decently well. However, he was also responsible for that mess of a Supercoppa last year between Napoli and Juventus that was so bad that Napoli didn't even collect their second place medals.

Also, chaoslord, are there refs from some of the really tiny countries in UEFA circulation? Like, does San Marino or the Faroe Islands have a ref that does international matches? Are they able to?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rep. of Ireland XI to face Wales:

code:
                 Westwood 

Coleman     Clark       O'Shea (c)     Wilson

Walters    McCarthy      Whelan        Brady 

Hoolahan

Long
Rough guess at how it will actually line up. I'm sure Hoolahan will be playing at LB or in goal or something.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Bale, Ramsey and James Collins are out injured for us.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
England U21 vs Scotland U21 is on at the mo. England winning 1 nil, Redmond with the goal.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Gigi Galli posted:

Mazzoleni's done a few big derbies in Serie A and has done decently well. However, he was also responsible for that mess of a Supercoppa last year between Napoli and Juventus that was so bad that Napoli didn't even collect their second place medals.

Also, chaoslord, are there refs from some of the really tiny countries in UEFA circulation? Like, does San Marino or the Faroe Islands have a ref that does international matches? Are they able to?

The smaller countries are allowed to appoint referees to the FIFA panel, but I'm not sure how many slots they get. I'm fairly certain that the bigger countries get 10 R + 10 AR slots, but I'm not sure if it scales or if smaller countries just don't appoint that many. As far as UEFA goes, they have five categories of referees: Elite Group, Elite Development Group, First Group, Second Group, and Third Group. Most of the referees from the smaller countries never make it past Second Group (if they make it to that level), so we don't see them too often. One might pop up a a WC or Euro qualifier between two small countires (say, a Faroese official might get Malta x San Marino, if that were to occur), and you will see them in the very opening round or two of the Champions League or Europa League, but that's about it for full teams. They work a decent amount of the youth interntaional qualifiers.

San Marino currently has 4 (2+2), although both R's have only been on the list since last year. They have both been working youth internationals and early round CL/EL.

Faroe Islands have 1+3, and the R has been on the list since 07. He has only worked two full internationals that I can find, though, mixed in with a bunch of youth international qualifiers and early CL stuff.

Liechtenstein is the only country I can think of that doesn't have a referee, but I think that's because their club teams play in the Swiss system, so if they were to make the list they would through Switzerland. Although Canada maintains a seperate list from the USA and their guys typically work in the MLS, so maybe it's just no one in Liechtenstein is a very good referee.

This is a list of all male FIFA listed referees. I imagine it would be kept up to date. Links from there to find the FIFA women or futsal/beach soccer lists.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Blue Screen Error posted:

England U21 vs Scotland U21 is on at the mo. England winning 1 nil, Redmond with the goal.
It's on BT Sport 1 Warning Michael Owen is commentating.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Thanks for all the info, I wonder if Gibralter will get someone in to full internationals in the next decade.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Sterling is looking pretty good (both his play and his sideburns)

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Yeah looks like our U21s have found their level, everyone is looking decent out there, even Wickham. Sterling and Shelvey particularly impressive.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Goal from Sterling with an assist from Wickham's balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Should have been ruled out for offside imo

I love how every time England get the ball back, Shelvey fires it out to Redmond (with, tbf, some incredibly good passes) to start a counter

• Locked thread