Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Same keyword and parameters in Western US:

SEOT: 204
PBR: 45%
SEOC: 94,800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
I don't understand why people are told to use Broad search. Even the MS video linked above says Broad gives you inaccurate results.

You want to find specific keywords that people type into google and rank for that. If you use Broad, it will include every variation that has the keywords within it, inflating the SEOT numbers.

I've always used Exact match to find the real numbers for that specific keyword and only that keyword.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I don't understand why people are told to use Broad search. Even the MS video linked above says Broad gives you inaccurate results.

You want to find specific keywords that people type into google and rank for that. If you use Broad, it will include every variation that has the keywords within it, inflating the SEOT numbers.

I've always used Exact match to find the real numbers for that specific keyword and only that keyword.

Same. I'm using LongTail Pro, but Broad results are often massively inflated.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I seem to suck at the whole keyword research part of this whole thing.

What is good or bad about these searches? I need changes pointed out to me in a very blatant format.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Greyish Orange posted:

I seem to suck at the whole keyword research part of this whole thing.

What is good or bad about these searches? I need changes pointed out to me in a very blatant format.

If it's the outlay or the program that you find confusing, try the 10-day trial of LongTailPro. Pretty much the same functionality, just streamlined - less information but more specific. MS might be more robust though, I dunno, haven't tried - does look confusing though.

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009

Saveron_01 posted:

Same filters, Philadelphia area

SEOT: 204
PBR: 45%
SEOC: 70,000

Same results, I am in South Eastern US.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
So Samuari is the goto tool for testing keywords or does anyone else have another program suggestion? I've been reading about Longtail Pro, how does that compare?

Texibus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 15, 2013

Lando2
Jan 16, 2010

Turns out just hunks
I use the free trail of samurai but depending on the outcome of my current project I might pony up the cash for the full version. Also depending on my current project I might not have to.

I started my site about 3 days ago. I just finalized a version I think looks nice and will get people to the order page. I hosted it and turned on my adwords campaign. This is where it gets weird.

I get an average of 75+ clicks an hour so far since this morning. I've had about 25-35 people click through to my "Out of stock" page to test for people serious about buying. 2 have left contact info about one of my products (I only show 4). 98% of all visitors are new and my bounce rate is at about 65-75% and according to the website where my page is hosted, about 350 of the total ~800 page views are from "googleads.g.doubleclick.net". I googled it and most of the results are saying it's malware in certain browsers and most sites just tell you how to uninstall it.

I always thought it was just those banner ads and stuff on the sides of webpages.

Little help?

E: Also note that 90%+ of click-throughs have come from my display network, while the rest is dismal clicks from search terms on google. I only spent about a 20 minutes figuring out market samurai and choosing the keywords so take that for what you will.

Lando2 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 15, 2013

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

What was the google monthly searches for your keyword/SEOT/whatever? Sounds like you've got success in the making.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

And what was your average CPC? I just started up an adwords campaign yesterday and my CPC is $1.35, which I can't really afford to maintain for very long.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
I've found that manually putting in a low CPC value works pretty well depending on your niche, like $.50 or so, and $.25 on facebook. I still ended up being either position 1 2 or 3 in my google ads when my CPC went from $2.00 to $.50. Which doesn't really make sense cause google says you won't get charged more than you need to, but it seems they are blatantly lying when some of my ads are in first position at $.50, when I was getting charged $2.00 before I manually changed it.

Lando2
Jan 16, 2010

Turns out just hunks
Average CPC is about .20 cents for searches and about .05 cents for the display network which I find strange. I manually set my CPC to no more than 1.00 per but my budget is $70 bucks/day right now so I may have to extend that to get accurate results for a full day. (I also got $100 in free advertising from the website I built mine with so that helps)

I don't have market samurai installed here at work so I will try and get some numbers tonight just to double check everything.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Lando2 posted:

Average CPC is about .20 cents for searches and about .05 cents for the display network which I find strange. I manually set my CPC to no more than 1.00 per but my budget is $70 bucks/day right now so I may have to extend that to get accurate results for a full day. (I also got $100 in free advertising from the website I built mine with so that helps)

I don't have market samurai installed here at work so I will try and get some numbers tonight just to double check everything.
Display network costs less generally because it's not as valuable traffic. Generally showing up #1 for 'buy widget' is more valuable then showing up on a blog about widgets.

That is a really low CPC so you may have an amazing niche. Are you only targeting American traffic? Some foreign traffic has no value at all (since nobody uses credit cards).

Nothing bad about "googleads.g.doubleclick.net" as a referral, that's just what shows up from people who clicked on your ads.

DuWay
Apr 23, 2007
boom, boom, boom, boom, i want you in my room.
Found something that, Samurai-wise, looks pretty decent:

SEOT: 1,800+
PBR: 80%+
SEOC (edited to add): 800,000 (this seems to be a bit high)
Retail: $130-$300 based on model

Top 10 pages are mostly 0-2 PRs, but all are aged domains (Amazon, Wikipedia, etc.).

The top sellers on Amazon seem to be the manufacturers themselves, though (one of them I have been able to find a wholesale inquiry for). Is that as big of a problem as it looks to me? It just seems that, even if I worked with the one manufacturer, people would just jump over any site I would make in order to get it straight from them via their site or Amazon.

Another thing is that I can't make any real guess as to what the profit margin would be... alibaba has a bunch of crap from China that isn't near the same quality (and anything that looks close has no real price or a range from $1-99999).

Having fun with it, but also feel kinda lost.

DuWay fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 16, 2013

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006

DuWay posted:

Found something that, Samurai-wise, looks pretty decent:

SEOT: 1,800+
PBR: 80%+
Retail: $130-$300 based on model

Top 10 pages are mostly 0-2 PRs, but all are aged domains (Amazon, Wikipedia, etc.).

The top sellers on Amazon seem to be the manufacturer itself, though (one of them I have been able to find a wholesale inquiry for). Is that as big of a problem as it looks to me? It just seems that, even if I worked with the one manufacturer, people would just jump over any site I would make in order to get it straight from them via their site or Amazon.

Another thing is that I can't make any real guess as to what the profit margin would be... alibaba has a bunch of crap from China that isn't near the same quality (and anything that looks close has no real price or a range from $1-99999).

Having fun with it, but also feel kinda lost.

Estimate low and say 20%. I would imagine most things have at least 20% markup.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
Right now I can easily find stuff that has an SEOT in the 200 range using Exact match to keywords, a few around 500, but never that magic number of 1000+. I think I might take a break from looking since I think I am really overthinking my search.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I found a niche that meets all the criteria except SEOC is just above 2mil. But I took a look at the competition with Market Samurai and this is what it gave me:

Worth a shot?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Depends if 8-9 are niche sites using your keyword that have recently started or not

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Arakan posted:

Depends if 8-9 are niche sites using your keyword that have recently started or not

One of them has the keyword in its url, but they're both selling services that are completely unrelated to my niche.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Saveron_01 posted:

Right now I can easily find stuff that has an SEOT in the 200 range using Exact match to keywords, a few around 500, but never that magic number of 1000+. I think I might take a break from looking since I think I am really overthinking my search.

The way I see it is that it's all about profitability. If your product can make bank using OP's formula, isn't it worth it?

Dog Blogs Man
Apr 16, 2007

how are you gentlemen i am a god amongst goons
Thoughts on how to approach having previously been banned from Adwords?

This happened about 8 years ago, so I don't need any lectures on it (and I did think it was a stupid reason and did try to dispute it but they were very unhelpful).

Would using a friend's name / account be ok on the same IP address as I'm regularly logged into gmail with (my brother would probably let me use his name to make an account)? Or would I want to run the entire business attempt via Tor or whatever and keep it quarantined from my normal browsing?

All this depends on me finding a niche which is quite challenging (coming up with ideas of different things), the one I had thought of which is vaguely PC related seems to have dropped off the face of the earth since I almost imported the product 2 years ago :/

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Dog Blogs Man posted:

Thoughts on how to approach having previously been banned from Adwords?

This happened about 8 years ago, so I don't need any lectures on it (and I did think it was a stupid reason and did try to dispute it but they were very unhelpful).

Would using a friend's name / account be ok on the same IP address as I'm regularly logged into gmail with (my brother would probably let me use his name to make an account)? Or would I want to run the entire business attempt via Tor or whatever and keep it quarantined from my normal browsing?

All this depends on me finding a niche which is quite challenging (coming up with ideas of different things), the one I had thought of which is vaguely PC related seems to have dropped off the face of the earth since I almost imported the product 2 years ago :/
Are you at the exact location that you were at when you got banned? If you are, then you'd definitely want to use a completely different IP. You should be fine using a family member's name, or you could also register a company, if you wanted.

Keeping things separate/quarantined is a good idea, but I wouldn't use TOR.. because that would definitely look shady, and be annoyingly slow, I think.

I think you'll be okay, I know a lot of people who have been banned multiple times. Just avoid using any of the same information from your banned account, so that it doesn't raise any flags. I think legally you are allowed to make another account with a registered company if you've gotten banned before.

Dog Blogs Man
Apr 16, 2007

how are you gentlemen i am a god amongst goons
Yeah, same house, maybe not same ISP as back then, but pretty much logged in consistently over that time (to the associated gmail account, and the actual adwords on and off).
The actual email text includes this btw
"I apologize for the inconvenience caused but this account will not be
unsuspended.
Please refrain from opening any new AdWords accounts. We will suspend any
newly created accounts also."

I'm in Australia so registering a company costs quite a lot (possibly about $1000), and my sole trader business includes my name as thats the policy here if you want to do it free. John Smith Plumbing for example is ok. I think registering a different business name to your actual person name doesn't cost quite so much as a company, so maybe when I move interstate in 2-3 months I can have a try then - NewYorkPlumbers would be the business rather than John Smith Plumbing so namewise there won't be a link then.

But then what - browse all businessy stuff in a seperate proxy browser? I can see myself slipping up once or twice by accident with the browsers etc which could see the whole premise of the business fall apart when their systems link everything together.

Better to stick only to facebook ads or maybe some terrible alternative like yahoo?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I'd suggest googling and doing some research about multiple Adwords accounts. Your scenario isn't uncommon, but I'm rusty on banned accounts.

I think there is definitely a way that this is doable though.

I've never been banned from Adwords, but I am banned from Facebook ads, even though I did absolutely nothing wrong. Just got caught up with some automated system that decided to ban me (after I had already not been serving ads for over a year). I've never ever been able to get a real person to respond to me at Facebook about my account.

Lando2
Jan 16, 2010

Turns out just hunks
As for yesterdays experiment, the total bill was around $90 after about 1100 clicks. Checking Google analytics I received 850 unique visitors with an approximate conversion rate of .03 based on 25-30 unique visitors to my "out of stock" page. I should be receiving a quote from my manufacturer here (Who also does dropshipping) either today or tomorrow. Calculating AP (Annual profit) I got to around 400,000k. Does this mean a green light? I'm most likely going to put down some money for stock but some guidance would help. I'm guessing the OP is banned indefinitely?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Lando2 posted:

As for yesterdays experiment, the total bill was around $90 after about 1100 clicks. Checking Google analytics I received 850 unique visitors with an approximate conversion rate of .03 based on 25-30 unique visitors to my "out of stock" page. I should be receiving a quote from my manufacturer here (Who also does dropshipping) either today or tomorrow. Calculating AP (Annual profit) I got to around 400,000k. Does this mean a green light? I'm most likely going to put down some money for stock but some guidance would help. I'm guessing the OP is banned indefinitely?
His main account is not on probation now, but he's traveling, and I don't think he'll be around for a few more days. He'll definitely be back though.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
^^^ I'm so pumped for this dude posting above me! From what I've read of that OP, you look like you're a go bro.

Alright, I've been playing with stuff on MS. I didn't change a single setting from when I booted it up.

My stats for my keyword is:

SEOT= 5,081
PBR = 30%
SEOC = $1,740,000
AWPC= $2.27

Is this sort of what I'm looking to consider starting a site?

Texibus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 16, 2013

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Lando2 posted:

Since I don't see it posted, did you check the origin of your out-of-stock page visitors, just to make sure it isn't all bots? That'd change your outlook drastically.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Texibus posted:

^^^ I'm so pumped for this dude posting above me! From what I've read of that OP, you look like you're a go bro.

Alright, I've been playing with stuff on MS. I didn't change a single setting from when I booted it up.

My stats for my keyword is:

SEOT= 5,081
PBR = 30%
SEOC = $1,740,000
AWPC= $2.27

Is this sort of what I'm looking to consider starting a site?

From what I can tell, that is a big "No" - SEOC is IIRC how many websites mention that string of keywords. If I were to find that keyword I would think it would be too popular; not a niche.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Did he say something about being under 2 mill being fine? or at least worth a look.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 16, 2013

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Texibus posted:

Did he say something about being under 2 mill being fine? or at least worth a look.
He had, I put it in bold.

lx2036 posted:

3.SEOC – Search Engine Optimization Competition
Search Engine Optimization Competition is a complicated subject. For the real quick once over, anything below 300,000 is good and accessible. However, this is only a general indicator. The way I approach this is if it is under 300k I will investigate the top 10 under market samurai’s SEOC module. If it is 2,000,000 or under, but very attractive, I will also pull the SEOC module information with the understanding that it may be difficult to break into. All of that being said, the SEOC module will be the determining factor for passing this test. In general, green is good, red is bad. Pages with PR (google page rank) 0 or 1 and pages with DA (domain age) of 2 or less in the top ten is a great indication you’ll do well. The absolute best indication is to review the URL of each webpage in the top 10. Does the keyword appear in the domain? If not, usually you’re good to go. This go or no-go decision based on SEOC and top-ten will be the most difficult decision you will make in internet business. Do not take this lightly, and do not hesitate to contact others for advice.

Lando2
Jan 16, 2010

Turns out just hunks

Sundae posted:

Since I don't see it posted, did you check the origin of your out-of-stock page visitors, just to make sure it isn't all bots? That'd change your outlook drastically.

How would I check this? That specific page is inaccessible (and hidden) unless you click on the specific buy now button for the corresponding product, this would cut down on people just clicking around my site but I'm not sure how bots work or what their origin is.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
How worried are you guys about non-US manufactured products with regards to liability?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
MS is pulling its numbers from Bing, which is why the OP's SEOT is about a tenth of what he expects it to be. Google has also changed Google Keyword Tool and are pushing people onto their new Google Keyword Planner. LTP stills seems to be functional, but Ultimate Niche Finder just times out.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Flyndre posted:

How worried are you guys about non-US manufactured products with regards to liability?

Depends heavily on the product. I wouldn't sell chinese-made electric standalone fireplaces any time soon.

Actually - question: If you buy a chinese-made product from a US-based wholesaler who does all the import work, does that effectively insulate you from liability? If so, it could theoretically be worth a minor margin cut in the name of insurance.

Every idea I come up with is only available from Chinese manufacturers. :(

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

Sundae posted:

Actually - question: If you buy a chinese-made product from a US-based wholesaler who does all the import work, does that effectively insulate you from liability? If so, it could theoretically be worth a minor margin cut in the name of insurance.

From what I read and understood is that if you buy from that US-based wholesaler for resale, the US-based wholesaler is liable, not the Chinese manufacturer.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
This thread was a real eye opener. Thank you so much for putting it out there. My mind is all ready swivelling with ideas :)

Packstand
Sep 22, 2012
I've been racking my brain on this thread for the past 2 days looking for a niche. This is by far the hardest part.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Dude, I hear you. I've been trying to come up with something for hours and hours. I finally found this:

SEOT: 1,250
PBR: 82%
SEOC: 761,000
AWCPC: $0.85

Numbers 2,3,4,5,6,9 & 10 are big retailers, number 1 is an about.com article, 7 is a .org review site, and 8 is a generic review site. Does this look like it has potential?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Packstand
Sep 22, 2012

Saint Fu posted:

Dude, I hear you. I've been trying to come up with something for hours and hours. I finally found this:

SEOT: 1,250
SEOC: 761,000
AWCPC: $0.85

Numbers 2,3,4,5,6,9 & 10 are big retailers, number 1 is an about.com article, 7 is a .org review site, and 8 is a generic review site. Does this look like it has potential?

Okay so I have a similar looking graph.

SEOT: 2775
SEOC: 1,100,000
AWPC: $1.14

My question is if I place a domain name like niche.com versus all of these domain names that have been up for 14 years + am I still sky rocketing to the top? In addition to sites that merely mention my niche as well like "newyorktimes.com/articles/my-niche-mentioned-here. Am I surpassing these guys as well or dragging behind?

• Locked thread