Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really wish there was a way to reload from checkpoints so I could get the "Punch-out!" bottle cap without redoing the entire stage leading up to the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I really wish there was a way to reload from checkpoints so I could get the "Punch-out!" bottle cap without redoing the entire stage leading up to the fight.

I think there's a hidden challenge stage somewhere where it's just the Punch-Out fight so you can try it over and over again as many times as you want. Don't remember if it actually counts for the challenge or not, may be misremembering.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

I think there's a hidden challenge stage somewhere where it's just the Punch-Out fight so you can try it over and over again as many times as you want. Don't remember if it actually counts for the challenge or not, may be misremembering.

It doesn't. :(

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

It's also really lame that failing a Kahkoo-Regah section counts as a death on the stage's final score. I'm all for punishing difficulty, but god drat if it doesn't feel unfair when all you did was fail a "take zero damage" punch-out secret challenge a few times and you get a consolation prize at the end of your platinum run.

When you fail a Kahkoo-Regah and the game asks you if you want to retry, you can actually just pick "No" and the game will drop you right outside the Kahkoo-Regah entrance without counting the death. You can then retry the mission by just entering the Kahkoo-Regah again. It's one of those design decisions that they clearly didn't think through, since it makes the choice on the failure screen essentially boil down to "Do you want to take a rank penalty or sit through two loading screens?"

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Doc V posted:

"Do you want to take a rank penalty or sit through two loading screens?"

The file "PlatinumGames.txt" already exists. Overwrite?

Fedule fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 8, 2014

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

It doesn't. :(

If you beat all three versions of that kahkoo regah, the actual fight should be a cakewalk. I believe in you!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh, also,

Lurdiak posted:

There is a way to reload from checkpoints but boss fights don't have checkpoints.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Looper posted:

If you beat all three versions of that kahkoo regah, the actual fight should be a cakewalk. I believe in you!

Yeah I only made 2 real attempts at the trophy before I got it in 5-C. The only bullshit to that fight is his attack pretty much the instant the fight starts. If you can dodge that just pay attention to his eyes/brow and it's really not that difficult.

(I actually no-damaged the entire level that attempt but got stuck with a Platinum trophy because a qte glitched and I couldn't fire green's gun giving me a continue ruining a perfect run of that loving level :negative: )

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Just unlocked the Wonder Big morph. I didn't expect this game to have any more awesome surprises, yet it does!

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013
I've recently gotten back into playing W101 but I noticed that I can no longer cancel my unite morphs into one another in order to do multiple stingers in the air.

Can anyone here confirm that you can still do multiple stingers in the air?
For those who are confused here is a video demonstrating what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVE-mN6WYy4&t=492s

No matter how hard I try I just can't seem to do this again despite being able to do it very easily when I played this game ages ago.
Hopefully I'm just bad at this because this was my favourite part of the (unfortunately too few) combo videos for this game :(

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
So this is the first game that's frozen up on me since I've gotten my system back in September. It didn't happen at all for the first like, twenty-seven hours of playing the game, and now that I'm going through on 101% percent hard mode it seems to start freezing up more and more every so often. Almost always it happens around the time the game needs to load something while already in-game, especially during one of the big spectacle sequences. It feels like a loading problem exactly like the first Metroid Prime game had with loading because it makes the same buzz noise that game did.

I really hope that's the only reason it keeps freezing and it's not a problem with the console itself. Has anyone else noticed if 101 has been more prone to freezing up than their other games for the system?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The only glitchy problem I ever had was an enemy getting stuck on part of the level and somehow becoming invincible thanks to that, but I got it unstuck after some fiddling and all was wonderful

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I got through two levels without any freezing okay, I reset my team back to the original seven in case that was causing any trouble, and another thing I did was avoid the figurine menu entirely, as for some reason according to my research after getting enough of them and getting the Vorkken figure in particular the game can start acting strange loading wise if you ever view them.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hey y'all, so I'm playing through Bayonetta 1 again before cracking open 2. Is there any way I can see my progress towards unlocking Sai-Fung? I'm determined to get it this time around because it sounds awesome and I never got it my first time through.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Nope, no way of knowing, unless you kept track since starting. Just grind a short chapter like the Vestibule a lot and hope that it pops eventually. Assuming you've played through on Normal, Hard and NSIC then you're just a little under halfway there.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I just beat Temperantia on Normal and am going back through the levels to try and Plat them. :v:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
If I update my rank to a lower rank with a faster time for getting the Bangle of Time later, will it still count me as having "gotten a Platinum" for getting Jeanne later?

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Unless the lower rank is also a Platinum award, no.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Butts, guess I'll have to go back for that later.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!
I've finally gotten round to playing this and it's lovely. That being said, I'm bobbins at it. I've watched Saur's excellent videos, but does anyone have any mega basic tips? If there's a room I can go to just practice that would be mad helpful because god drat do I ever suck at this game.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
If you haven't already, buy Unite-Guts and buy Unite-Spring, these are your block and dodge moves, they are essential tools.

Keep a good watch on enemies and learn to recognize the lead-ups to their moves. Any solid attack, like punch, ram, crush, etc, those should be blocked. Any slicing or piercing attacks should be dodged.

Try to get used to using your right-stick to draw the shapes, if you've played fighting games then you can think of them like fighting game inputs. Once you get used to this, it's much quicker than drawing on the pad.

Don't be afraid to use the Team Attack, (X button), whenever you do this, it leaves a few of your heroes climbing and smacking your enemy like Pikmin, this can stun enemies if you pile enough heroes on them. The gun is great, because it's like a long-range Team Attack, especially when you unlock the stinger move.

Different weapons have their own uses, the fist is great for racking up damage on single-opponents, while the sword is great for clearing out large groups of enemies. Some weapons have special attributes, like the fist can absorb fire attacks, the sword can redirect lasers.

When you have a shape-drawn, if you press X instead of A to activate it, you will initiate a multi-morph, this summons the weapon you've drawn to do a single attack alongside whichever weapon you currently have equipped. Please get used to doing this as it will be useful later on when you're facing more enemies at a time.

I don't think there's any dedicated training room, but you should be fine just replaying Operation 1A until you feel like you have a good grip on it. This may seem like a lot of information to consume at one time, but keep at it and everything should fall into place neatly. Getting a lot of consolation prizes on your first playthrough is perfectly fine and to be expected, don't let it discourage you. Also don't feel bad about knocking it down to easy. Platinum's easy is like everyone else's Normal.

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013
This thread's pretty dead but here goes.
:siren:/v/ Style Tournament is on.:siren:
There's going to be a lot of DMC ,Bayonetta and W101 gameplay there and you guys should give it a watch.
http://instasync.com/r/vstyletournament

Edit: Here's the playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLr-MNXyAqU0_5ODc4YGAXyp2ISxnzKe1T

Mulgar fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 12, 2015

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I started this last night and it's a blast! I picked it up in November when my local Kmart was apparently liquidating their video game stock. I played the first two missions then and I just didn't get it. Between then and last night I've played and finished Bayonetta and MGS Rising, so this game makes much more sense to me. :D

The only thing I'm having trouble getting used to are the tells for enemy attacks. They seem to be much more generous than in Bayo and slightly more than in MGSR. I use Guts as soon as I see the wind up and that times things perfectly so the enemy attack lands as Guts ends. Oh well, I'll get it.

Are there combos like in Bayo and MGSR? For example things like: YYX, XXXYX, etc. I found Stinger for both the fist and sword and was surprised that attack is more like a fighting game combo/special move instead of Bayo and MGSR's stuff.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Are there combos like in Bayo and MGSR? For example things like: YYX, XXXYX, etc. I found Stinger for both the fist and sword and was surprised that attack is more like a fighting game combo/special move instead of Bayo and MGSR's stuff.

there aren't any combos like that in this game, just your standard attack combo. in return though you get a billion different weapons that you can instantly switch between that all have their own uses. each weapon also has 3 special moves that you gain as your wonderful ones level up: Stinger, Rising, and Cyclone. not sure why you're surprised by their inputs though since mgrr and bayonetta both had moves with similiar inputs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

sharrrk posted:

there aren't any combos like that in this game, just your standard attack combo. in return though you get a billion different weapons that you can instantly switch between that all have their own uses. each weapon also has 3 special moves that you gain as your wonderful ones level up: Stinger, Rising, and Cyclone. not sure why you're surprised by their inputs though since mgrr and bayonetta both had moves with similiar inputs

I didn't use any of those moves in the other games =x.

I'm probably a scrub but I have a lot of fun. I just expected there to be button combos. I suppose I'll continue to mash unite attack and group attack and mix in the stinger, etc moves.

• Locked thread