Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Anyone can help me with Operation 5-B Mission 1? I don't understand the three pillars enigma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jut posted:

The biggest issue for me is the moving around from stick to face to stick to face TBH.

Is this your first videogame? Because time basically freezes when drawing so you don't need the face buttons then at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jut posted:

The biggest issue for me is the moving around from stick to face to stick to face TBH.

This is really a common video game technique so I'm not sure why it is a problem for you. I don't mean that in an offensive way, I just don't really see why you'd have a problem here and not with all the other games on the market that make use of right analog + face buttons. Tons of games use the right analog stick and the face buttons, if just for camera control at bare minimum. Time slows down when you're doing a Unite and all you need the face buttons for is confirmation.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Jut posted:

Use the touchscreen you maniac

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Jut posted:

Is this your first video game

e: oh someone else said the same thing but really what?

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013

Jut posted:

It's been posted in this thread before so you might have seen it, but give Saur's system breakdown video a watch if you haven't yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHbPXNJvVE. It explains things really well and I think it will help you out.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

X Ray Monster posted:

It's been posted in this thread before so you might have seen it, but give Saur's system breakdown video a watch if you haven't yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHbPXNJvVE. It explains things really well and I think it will help you out.

Jesus christ man, it still amazes me how hight the skill celling can be in platinum games :staredog:

I also added this to the OP.

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Jesus christ man, it still amazes me how hight the skill celling can be in platinum games :staredog:

I also added this to the OP.

It is crazy. I haven't watched that many streams/videos because I don't want to spoil anything, but this guy is so good it's like he's playing a different game than everyone else I've seen. You should put the link to that video above the box art in the OP though. Watching his videos should be required viewing before asking questions about how to play the game. Platinum should patch his videos into the game when he's done making them.

He recently upload a short 9 sec video called Unite Banhammer! and in the comments he says he's got the text done for his next tutorial video and is currently recording it. So that's another one to look forward to.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

whaley posted:

Moving from buttons to screen then back to buttons AND averting my gaze is even worse...
It could be fixed by letting you remap the 'finish drawing button' to R trigger, but only facebuttons can be remapped.
Just had a look at some reviews and even some of the good reviews are pointing out control issues. Looks like plat needed a little more playtesting and polish.
Is the drawing to select weapons even necessary for the gameplay? would a button press have done the trick instead?

Jut fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 30, 2013

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

whaley posted:

Nothing about combat in W101 requires the use of the touchscreen, outside of those sequences that put the action on Gamepad. I'll go so far as to say that 99 percent of people will play consistently better on higher difficulties without so much as looking at it.

The only time I've ever used for the Wonder Liner it is to trace shapes on the ground in order to locate collectibles, and even then, once I remembered to turn off Speed Liner specifically for those puzzles, I could easily trace shapes that I needed to with the right stick.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Jut posted:

Moving from buttons to screen then back to buttons AND averting my gaze is even worse...
It could be fixed by letting you remap the 'finish drawing button' to R trigger, but only facebuttons can be remapped.
Just had a look at some reviews and even some of the good reviews are pointing out control issues. Looks like plat needed a little more playtesting and polish.
Is the drawing to select weapons even necessary for the gameplay? would a button press have done the trick instead?

Well the 'finish drawing button' has 2 uses: 1) to switch to that weapon 2) bring out a multi morph (default X). So 2 buttons are needed and more importantly you want to be able to draw a weapon, then do a special attack such as an uppercut (B -> A). If the issues your still having are just getting out a proper weapon drawing in time or successfully then the issue is your input. Practice with the right stick until you can draw all the shapes 100% successfully. Hate to tell you this but if your not going to bother to get the drawings down than you will hate the game and it was a waste of money. It isn't something everyone will pickup on in a short time and thus have a frustrating time and write halfassed reviews. That just how Platinum Games rolls.

Getting out a weapon in a timely matter is important because it is the core foundation of this game. The links to Saur's youtubes talk about this. Like I said earlier pressing B -> A will launch an enemy into the air where you can juggle them with various combos and lots of damage.

Practice this: spam X on a monster till stunned/stagged -> draw sword -> B -> A(this will launch monster) -> draw fist -> X -> draw sword - > X -> spam A for damage.

May look complicated but it really isn't, every drawing slows time to a crawl, and B -> A is easy enough. Result should be you doing damage with a sword and 2 multi morphs helping out, all in the air doing a massive juggle combo. I only have the demo but I can pull this off no problem now. Can't wait for the game.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Joink posted:

Practice this: spam X on a monster till stunned/stagged -> draw sword -> B -> A(this will launch monster) -> draw fist -> X -> draw sword - > X -> spam A for damage.

It's worth noting you don't have the launcher at first. It's a hard game, and you don't have the block or dodge by default (guts and spring, respectively). Which makes it harder to get into.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spite posted:

It's worth noting you don't have the launcher at first. It's a hard game, and you don't have the block or dodge by default (guts and spring, respectively). Which makes it harder to get into.

You get enough money from the tutorial to afford both and the tutorial is incredibly simple.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Spite posted:

You can buy the dodge and block right after the Prologue pretty easily. Even on Normal mode there's not a whole lot in the way of difficulty for a first time player. There's practically nothing there that's difficult to fight (it's all those little guys), so if people are concerned with buying stuff, they can just run the Prologue again and aim for platinum ranks until they can buy some abilities.

Honestly, you don't even NEED the launcher to perform well at the game early on. The launcher opens up combo opportunities, but the first thing people ought to get acquainted with is how to defend themselves, rather than trying to get all fancy-pants with the unite morphs. That stuff will come naturally to people if they become involved with the game.

I think it'd be better if you just started with those abilities. Guts alone stops over half of the enemy attacks in the whole game (sure feels like it, at any rate), and a well timed Spring lets you dodge over and through other attacks. They're too useful and important to overall survival, and I think people that get frustrated by Platinum games would find them a lot more welcoming if absolutely vital defensive abilities were A) not locked behind some sort of stupid purchasing system, and B) the games did more to ram home how important those abilities are by FORCING the player to play through at least one tutorial fight that shows these key abilities off (or at least start the tutorial and give the player the option to skip it, so if they get their rear end kicked immediately after skipping it, the game makes them experience it, unless it's a second run through that level or something). It doesn't have to be long, but I find that people tend to retain stuff if they do something for themselves a couple times in a controlled situation, rather suddenly unlocking an ability and being forced to learn it ASAP, usually while getting their poo poo kicked in.

I know the idea of forced tutorials causes some gamers to break into hives/fits, but there's always a lot of people who are turned away from Platinum games because they feel totally impenetrable to them. You don't have to dumb poo poo down for those people, but giving them something in game that teaches practical application of key abilities is a lot better than an optional tutorial buried in a menu 99 percent of people will ignore/not even know exists, or a physical/digital instruction manual that they will ignore (or may not exist because a lot of companies these days tend to have poo poo for manuals).

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The loving cars in mission 1-a are bastards to deal with if you don't have the block skill / ZL unite. I bought the dodge skill first and really got caught on them until I could get block. It's possible to beat them without it but it's so much easier blocking and reflecting their bombs and flipping them with their charges.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Jut posted:

Blah, I bought this today and after dying on 001, just said 'gently caress this' and turned it off.
The controls are unintuitive and poo poo. Plain and simple.
The first thing was during the tutorial part when I was asked to draw a circle with R. I rotated the stick then mashed A. 'BARP! Try again', I tried again and again and again before realising no, I don't rotate the pad but draw a large slow circle, which sometimes works or sometimes doesn't.

Jut posted:

Oh come on you have to be trolling, or you're simply just not cut out for video games, old bean. You draw a circle, it turns red, you press A, THAT'S IT; You don't mash the face buttons, you can even just draw the shape with your finger on the touchpad then press A when done.

HOWEVER, I will state that the game does actually have some control issues. Namely when you buy the 'Attack Liner' upgrade it seems to block and slow down the wonder liner sometimes when you draw it through enemies, and even spazzes out sometimes stopping the final shape. And some of the 'Unite Draw!' segments of the game are quite finicky with the shape. I know the game had a problem once with registering Whip being drawn, and again with Boomerang and Platinum.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Super Slash posted:

HOWEVER, I will state that the game does actually have some control issues. Namely when you buy the 'Attack Liner' upgrade it seems to block and slow down the wonder liner sometimes when you draw it through enemies, and even spazzes out sometimes stopping the final shape.

Are you sure you aren't just hitting enemy armor/blocks/attacks? The only difference I've personally noticed between the normal Wonder Liner and the Attack Liner is that the latter counts as an attack, which means that it can't go through anything that breaks your Unite Morphs on contact. (The Drill Spring does the same thing, which is why I don't like using it)

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

In defense of the touchpad:

http://youtu.be/DoRK84-w7D8

Using the touchpad makes me feel like a boss.

Damone
May 3, 2009

Doc V posted:

Are you sure you aren't just hitting enemy armor/blocks/attacks? The only difference I've personally noticed between the normal Wonder Liner and the Attack Liner is that the latter counts as an attack, which means that it can't go through anything that breaks your Unite Morphs on contact. (The Drill Spring does the same thing, which is why I don't like using it)

Exactly, Drill spring and Attack liner will screw you over against spiked, armored and blocking opponents as it's considered an attack. It's especially bad with drill spring since it will knock all the dudes you used in the morph. I've turned it off and never looked back to be frank.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I just beat this on Normal, now it's time to get through Hard mode and go secret-hunting. Has anyone here managed to (spoilered just in case) unlock any of the secret characters yet? I have an idea of who a few of them are, and it seems that Bayonetta is the final one, but that's gonna take a while to get.

I found that Unite Guts became less useful at the last few stages of the game, too many attacks would just break straight through it, so eventually I just didn't bother with it. Parry worked better but the timing on that was a bit inconsistent. Sometimes it would work, sometimes I would tap forward and just get hit anyway so, I dunno what's going on there. Seems like it doesn't like you mashing on forward taps too, I'd tap forward, just miss the parry, tap forward again at what would have been the right timing and got hit.

Being attacked from offscreen is a pretty annoying issue the game has, sometimes even having the camera zoomed out doesn't help prevent this. That or all the particle effects going on would obscure attack cues, particularly with the smaller enemies.

Still, despite this, it is a loving awesome game and I'm glad I bought it. It just needs a little refinement is all.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
God dang, I can't wait for September 15.

Ms Paint with mouse

10 min sketchbook doodle

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

how is it that the only studio who can pull of QTEs is platinum

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I was laughing IRL at that part. I also found that you can parry anything that touches your Unite Guts too, you just gotta tap towards the enemy as soon as they touch it, making it a safer way to parry. It even works if you have the spiked version too.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

I kindly disagee. Remember in Bayonetta wher*PRESS RT TO NOT DIE*

That said, I hope the failure animation for that is as funny as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9izUh07U5BA

Edited for the spoiler scare.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 2, 2013

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I kindly disagee. Remember in Bayonetta wher*PRESS RT TO NOT DIE*

Yeah those QTEs sucked, but bayo also had awesome poo poo like "mash x to LIMIT EXCEEDED, INFINITE INFINITONS"

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Yeah the don't die QTEs sucked in bayo, but bayo also had awesome poo poo like "mash x to LIMIT EXCEEDED, INFINITE INFINITONS"

I am still fond of (Bayonetta ending spoilers) summoning the Devil (expy) so that she could punch God (expy) SO HARD that her soul flies into the sun

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Yeah those QTEs sucked, but bayo also had awesome poo poo like "mash x to LIMIT EXCEEDED, INFINITE INFINITONS"

BIG BANG BONUS

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

I don't know WTF I am looking at, but it convinced me to get a WiiU.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Kamiya revealed a few of the secret characters at his PAX panel, so people might wanna keep that in mind if they're worried about spoilers.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Why do they call it The Wonderful 101?

Because that's how many copies it sold :xd:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

how is it that the only studio who can pull of QTEs is platinum

So uh, I came in here to see how people are enjoying the game and saw this.

This isn't a spoiler right? :(

Like if it's early on that's fine but I don't want the goofy final boss message spoiled, it takes all the charm of it popping up away.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So uh, I came in here to see how people are enjoying the game and saw this.

This isn't a spoiler right? :(

Like if it's early on that's fine but I don't want the goofy final boss message spoiled, it takes all the charm of it popping up away.

Its a platinum game, I'd expect QTE's. (I haven't played it yet). You might not want to read a thread where people who can play the game are, and have beaten it, are talking about it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rawrbomb posted:

Its a platinum game, I'd expect QTE's. (I haven't played it yet). You might not want to read a thread where people who can play the game are, and have beaten it, are talking about it.

Honestly got it's release date mixed up with Rayman Legends and thought it was coming out in two days. Figured I'd pop in and see what the general thought was and avoid spoiler tags etc.

The QTE's in the game don't surprise me, it's what Platinum does with them that I enjoy being surprised with.

I just think it's a bit rude because it IS still unreleased over here, so people will come to the thread anyway to talk about it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I realize this is shameful, but I am stuck way early in the game. Shortly after you get the wonder gun, there's a part where you run into a building and need to open the next door to progress. You have to pick up the battery with the gun, throw it into the receiver and then ... something. If I shoot the huge baseball, it gets launched at me. I thought maybe I could catch it with the gun, but it doesn't seem to be working. Am I missing something or just doing it wrong?

(and if you're not playing The Wonderful 101 and the above seems like complete nonsense, well... welcome to The Wonderful 101!)

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013
Saur released the second part of his system breakdown videos. Some great stuff once again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSAbLRnGiWg

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Der Shovel posted:

I realize this is shameful, but I am stuck way early in the game. Shortly after you get the wonder gun, there's a part where you run into a building and need to open the next door to progress. You have to pick up the battery with the gun, throw it into the receiver and then ... something. If I shoot the huge baseball, it gets launched at me. I thought maybe I could catch it with the gun, but it doesn't seem to be working. Am I missing something or just doing it wrong?

(and if you're not playing The Wonderful 101 and the above seems like complete nonsense, well... welcome to The Wonderful 101!)

Shoot the baseball when the spinner on the top screen is on the larger areas

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Wow, I had no idea team attack also served as a pseudo lock-on. Fantastic that solves my main issue of not being able to hit consistently with the directional input commands.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Box of Bunnies posted:

Shoot the baseball when the spinner on the top screen is on the larger areas

Oh god damnit, I completely forgot to look at my actual screen :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Oh god damnit, I completely forgot to look at my actual screen :v:

Generally if you can't figure out what to do on a puzzle, that is why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Another Saur video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSAbLRnGiWg

• Locked thread