Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W101 has some stuff which feels weird, but a lot of that is cultural.

Super Sentai, the stuff W101 is based off of, is a kid's show in Japan but they have different ideas of what is okay for kid's shows in Japan. As an end result W101 is like 90% totally fine for kids and 10% inexplicably rear end shots, dick jokes and breast references. It's exactly something you'd see in a kid's show in Japan but it's probably something that would be weird for parents who purchase the extremely kid-friendly looking game and run smack dab into that stuff. (Of course in the US we had Rocko's Modern Life when I was a kid so....)

I think it's worth mentioning in a review but for the most part it is presented as a kid-friendly game and is actually really good for kids on lower difficulty levels. The characters are stereotypes but (aside from maybe Pink) simple and cheerful ones. They're more Pacific Rim than straight racism. The entire thing is good-natured, rarely-cynical, worldwide heroism.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is Wonder Green still French in the Japanese version?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
How does the Hero Counter work? I've accidentally did it once, but I just can't seem to figure out the timeing. It's just flicking the stick in the direction of the enemy just as he's about to hit, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

horriblePencilist posted:

How does the Hero Counter work? I've accidentally did it once, but I just can't seem to figure out the timeing. It's just flicking the stick in the direction of the enemy just as he's about to hit, right?

Yep. It's exactly the same as the Moons from Bayonetta.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

quote:

the only East Asian endlessly delivers Confucian sayings through a thick accent.
Right, the Japanese studio with the Japanese publisher makes an offensive Japanese character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Right, the Japanese studio with the Japanese publisher makes an offensive Japanese character.

To be fair he's voiced by Yuri Lowenthal doing a seriously forced accent, so it does actually sound pretty doofy.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Ben "Professional Game Journalist" Kuchera put up his review of The Wonderful 101: Wonderful 101 suffers from inscrutable systems, non-existent tutorials, and an unwelcoming camera

quote:

I don’t know. The game is confusing as hell, and it does a poor job of explaining itself to the player. I’ve put in a good amount of time, probably close to five hours, and I still don’t really understand what’s going on. The game has done next to nothing to help me figure out what the hell to do, how to effectively fight the enemy, or to introduce the player to the other levels of complexity in the game.

Add in a mechanic that has you drawing shapes on the Wii U’s touchscreen to conjure weapons, a tricky camera that can be hard to manage, and you have a game that gives an absolutely terrible first impression.

This is where I would insert a video of tapping the fairly large "QUICK HELP" tab on the touchscreen. Or pressing Home and going to the manual. poo poo ain't hard.

quote:

The problem is that, despite its breezy atmosphere and childlike character and level design, it’s unwelcoming. You can bash your head against the side of the experience, or you can seek out lengthy tutorials to learn how to play before you even begin. I don’t fault anyone, reviewer or otherwise, who gives up and walks away. Many of us have limited time for our games, and it’s not worth fussing over games we don’t find enjoyable due to poor design in the beginning levels.

:shepface: "They expect me to figure out how to play this?!?" *runs a website about videogames* *is Ben Kuchera*

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Ben Kuchera is the single worst video game journalist in the world

in the miso soup
Aug 16, 2013

quote:

The Wonderful 101 is going to be debated for years, and it will likely grow a small but dedicated group of grognards who will bristle whenever anyone speaks ill of their recently adopted child.

Ah, the old "call everyone who would want to call you out a loser" defence.

EDDryden
Jan 31, 2013

Also linked from that garbage review, a pretty on-point discussion of why the gaming press is so poo poo at its job in this respect.

Also, 'skill-focused game with no easy point of reference' made me even more excited for this game than I already was (which is a lot). I'm buying a Wii U for this.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bayonetta seems like a really obvious point of reference. I don't get why people are treating this game like it crash-landed on earth from outer space, it's not really that far removed from your typical character action game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Bayonetta seems like a really obvious point of reference. I don't get why people are treating this game like it crash-landed on earth from outer space, it's not really that far removed from your typical character action game.

There seems to be a mental block where people went in expecting Pikmin and are completely and utterly incapable of switching gears even though the game is so Bayonetta that it contains direct, repeated, blatant references to Bayonetta.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Is the camera locked at an angle or can you freely rotate it around your characters?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tooooooo bad posted:

Is the camera locked at an angle or can you freely rotate it around your characters?

Locked at an angle outside, indoors you can rotate freely. Indoor areas are almost universally puzzle areas except for like one or two which contain simple enemies.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Can't these reviewers at least say like 'I wasn't quite able to grasp these controls, but I'm sure other people can'? Why can't you be wrong? It's not like any reviewer plays the entire game these days.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's implied its the author's opinion, that's why it's a review. And reviews that lack convictions generally aren't very persuasive.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Dieting Hippo posted:

:shepface: "They expect me to figure out how to play this?!?" *runs a website about videogames* *is Ben Kuchera*

So Ben Kuchera is the Tim Buckley of video game journalism?

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Had an absolute blast playing the first two levels, but when the first boss fight came I had to give up all frustrated.

When the first Owrochee head goes down, Red screams "UNITE BUILD" the green thing comes up, I put in all of my Wonderful ones and then nothing happens. They stay in the dome for a few seconds while I move and jump around, try to get in, press every button and then come out again. All the while the other head cannot be damaged and keeps spitting flames. Died about 7 times now, because it simply doesn't activate whatever is supposed to happen.

What am I doing wrong?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

BioTech posted:

Had an absolute blast playing the first two levels, but when the first boss fight came I had to give up all frustrated.

When the first Owrochee head goes down, Red screams "UNITE BUILD" the green thing comes up, I put in all of my Wonderful ones and then nothing happens. They stay in the dome for a few seconds while I move and jump around, try to get in, press every button and then come out again. All the while the other head cannot be damaged and keeps spitting flames. Died about 7 times now, because it simply doesn't activate whatever is supposed to happen.

What am I doing wrong?

You need a full 100, keep fighting the other head and more choppers full of military dudes will come, when you've got 100 you can complete the build.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

A Sometimes Food posted:

You need a full 100, keep fighting the other head and more choppers full of military dudes will come, when you've got 100 you can complete the build.

I have a full 100, the sequence where you stab the eye out and the head goes down only happens after you free everyone. Also, all 100 are up and in the build, no stunned Wonderful Ones around or anything.

It just doesn't work and I found more people on YT with the same problem.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

BioTech posted:

What am I doing wrong?

I had this problem as well, and I had the full team. I'm also pretty certain that this part doesn't activate until you have 100. Turns out one of the dudes wasn't in the wonder-liner for some reason or another.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I've had problems with Unite Build where it requires a full 100 people like that. Usually moving closer to the thing I'm trying to build while wiggling the right stick in that direction will get the last team member into the build.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

yoshesque posted:

I had this problem as well, and I had the full team. I'm also pretty certain that this part doesn't activate until you have 100. Turns out one of the dudes wasn't in the wonder-liner for some reason or another.
Weird, I'm pretty sure I got it with less and getting more fixed it, maybe I just wiggled it right after the next load of troops landed or something.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
"I have heard good things about the later boss fights"
You don't say.
Because the first boss battle is so horrid.

This is just depressing

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Well I guess now it's obvious why modern games are clogged with hand-holding tutorials.

You know, when I saw that demos on the Wii U had a maximum of 20 plays I thought "who the hell would ever play a demo 20 times?" But now I'm down to 5 left.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I know reviewers are ultimate scum and whatever but how is the camera? There's one thing that persists and it's "I get hit by off screen stuff ALL THE TIME" and wondering how legit that is. So hyped for this on sunday :woop:

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I know reviewers are ultimate scum and whatever but how is the camera? There's one thing that persists and it's "I get hit by off screen stuff ALL THE TIME" and wondering how legit that is. So hyped for this on sunday :woop:

You can zoom in and out, but you can't rotate it.

When you've zoomed out as much as possible (which I recommend), you should have a good view of the battlefield. If you do get hit by something from off screen, it's your fault for letting an enemy get off screen in the first place. You have to know where all the enemies are at all times so you can react to their attacks (which they always clearly telegraph).

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think the game is a colossal piece of poo poo, but that shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the game. God knows why people are so angry that some reviewers hate the game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Jut posted:

I think the game is a colossal piece of poo poo, but that shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the game. God knows why people are so angry that some reviewers hate the game.

Doesn't really answer my question on the camera but thanks?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I honestly never had much trouble with it, but i kept it zoomed out to maximum at all times. Frankly I would say a more likely issue is "so much poo poo is onscreen it's hard to keep track of" more than "I'm getting hit offscreen."

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Jut posted:

As a customer you can hate anything you buy for sure, but reviewers should attempt to be at least somewhat objective with a review. I swear some reviews just poo poo on the game for page hits.

quote:

An inability to fit into an established genre, mixed with a lack of care for teaching the player how to interact with the game’s often inscrutable mechanics,

quote:

but is likely to become a cult classic.

Both in the same sentence.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The joke of Wonder White isn't even that he's a stereotypical Asian dude reeling off Confucian poverbs. The joke is that he doesn't shut up. Dude has like a hundred of these things and he wants to squeeze them all in before the other characters can shut him up and get back to business.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There were a couple of times I got hit by poo poo off screen and was kind of frustrated by it but it didn't ruin the experience and even in the times it did happen I figure I'dve been able to pick up on the sound cues the enemies that got me usually make if I didn't suck act action games.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Man this game. I need a Wii U. Why do I not have enough money for a Wii U?

Why can't I be a wonderful one oh one? I'll buy the game Kamiya. I'll buy two if it means there's more amazing Platinum games saving the world every day.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Played the demo at a friend's place. It is Platinum's destiny to save Video Games.

I am seriously holding out on buying a Wii U for as long as possible but this is making it hard.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Also, I'm having trouble effectively fighting the turtle monsters. I understand you can block their stomp and knock them over, but the geathjerk file mentions their tail being their weakpoint, and while it looks like I could use Unite Whip on it, it's not doing anything.Am I missing something?

This is a little late but (spoilered just in case someone wants to find out themselves) you can pretty safely ignore the thing about the Whip, all it does is throw the turtle at the other turtle then it'll get back up again, and even then you can only do that once you've knocked it over. Best thing to do is to block the stomp thing they do, then attack the loving poo poo out of it until it falls on its back, then you can go nuts without worrying about its armour. Really, the most annoying thing about the turtle monsters is the other one that will be doing the loving headbutt thing that you can't block while you're trying to attack the other of the pair.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Played the demo at a friend's place. It is Platinum's destiny to save Video Games.

I am seriously holding out on buying a Wii U for as long as possible but this is making it hard.

I don't know, does it really count as it being their destiny to save games when everyone who wants it goes "Well, I'll buy it later?" Ain't really their fault but I doubt we're gonna see a W102 when even the people who have a Wii U and want the game are going "I'll wait for it to be on sale."

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know, does it really count as it being their destiny to save games when everyone who wants it goes "Well, I'll buy it later?" Ain't really their fault but I doubt we're gonna see a W102 when even the people who have a Wii U and want the game are going "I'll wait for it to be on sale."

Everyone?

I bought a Wii U for it. I know plenty of others who've done the same and quite a few who already own a Wii U and are really looking forward to the game's US release.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dunban posted:

Everyone?

I bought a Wii U for it. I know plenty of others who've done the same and quite a few who already own a Wii U and are really looking forward to the game's US release.

Well, that's hyperbole, but a lot of what I've seen on it is "I'll wait (because it's going to sell like poo poo and will be $20 in 2 months.)"

Which is a completely reasonable path to take because it will be $20 in two months. v:shobon:v

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
One day, Platinum will make a bad game and we will all bemoan its fall into the terrible rut of standard video game tropes. Today is not that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hypha posted:

One day, Platinum will make a bad game and we will all bemoan its fall into the terrible rut of standard video game tropes. Today is not that day.

Anarchy Reigns wasn't so hot. Honestly I wasn't that big on Madworld either.

• Locked thread