Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Holy poo poo, I just recruited (operation 6-2 hidden character)Santa Claus. This game is just ridiculous.

Also, a hint for people just starting out: if you get 30 of each Space Vegetable, you can cook them into a credit card that lets you get one item from the store for free, which is a pretty huge help in the beginning of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Beat the game. Goddamn, those final levels. I got some serious Gurren-Lagann vibes.

Kurtofan posted:

Should I just start over on Easy if I get my rear end kicked in Assignment 001?

You don't need to start over, you can change the difficulty on the touch screen at any time between levels.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Super Slash posted:

Also here's a general question; Does anyone know what happens when you rank up your heroes? Quite a lot of mine have filled out experience bars now (Some even have a little star badge on their portrait?) but I haven't noticed anything new besides the rare new fighting moves (Wonderful Rising etc) and extended life gauge.

http://platinumgames.com/2013/08/23/w101-blog-ep-21-be-tough-level-up/

You get new moves and more custom slots.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Super Slash posted:

HOWEVER, I will state that the game does actually have some control issues. Namely when you buy the 'Attack Liner' upgrade it seems to block and slow down the wonder liner sometimes when you draw it through enemies, and even spazzes out sometimes stopping the final shape.

Are you sure you aren't just hitting enemy armor/blocks/attacks? The only difference I've personally noticed between the normal Wonder Liner and the Attack Liner is that the latter counts as an attack, which means that it can't go through anything that breaks your Unite Morphs on contact. (The Drill Spring does the same thing, which is why I don't like using it)

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Ignimbrite posted:

A really big hammer will crack their shells in 3 or 4 hits (assuming you dn't get caught in the air by their goddamn eruption attacks. Just make sure to turn off attack liner when you're fighting them otherwise you probably won't have enough room to make a big enough hammer.

The hammer is indeed effective, but the larger ones are so slow that it's really hard to get a normal attack in without being countered. There's a particular strategy with it that I've found really effective, though: equip the hammer, run up to the turtle, hit it with a Wonder Rising and follow up with a normal attack from the air. Not only does this let you hit it twice, but the Rising is fast enough to get away from the eruptions and once you're in the air there's nothing the turtles can do to interrupt the normal attack. I'm thinking you could even call in extra hammers with the Multi-Unite Morph while you're in the air and just have them rain down from the heavens, but I haven't had time to try that out yet.

Of course, you have to play far enough to actually unlock the Wonder Rising for the hammer first.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Robert Boyd of Zeboyd Games wrote a pretty good analysis of why the reviews for this game have been so lukewarm:

http://zeboyd.com/2013/09/10/why-games-like-the-wonderful-101-are-a-poor-fit-for-the-gaming-press/

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

WendigoJohnson posted:

He makes it sound like the game doesn't have a main focus in it's gameplay and tacked on a whole lot of extra systems where it's the jack of all trades but the master of none. He mentions Dark Souls, and in comparison Dark Souls knew what it was supposed to be and really buckled down to make it's systems the best examples they could be.

It's not that the systems are "extra" or unpolished - the things he mentioned are pretty central to how the game plays - it's that they're systems you don't usually see together and interacting in one game. In a game like Dark Souls that's hard but ultimately has a very traditional base to its systems, it's easier to see what you did wrong because you can guess how the game is supposed to be played based on your experiences of similar games. However, if the game is instead, for example, some kind of unholy love child of Viewtiful Joe, Bayonetta, Okami and Pikmin, it's no longer apparent how the game is intended to play and you'll usually need to play around and experiment a bunch to see what you can do and what is actually effective. Unfortunately, that's often not an option when you've got a review deadline breathing down your neck, so games that use non-traditional systems and have a heavy focus on skill tend to get blasted by reviewers for being too hard and frustrating, simply because the reviewers don't know how to actually play the game.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Has anyone figured out how to do the other input for the taunt? I can do it by pressing X + A, but the Platinum blog says that you should also be able to trigger it by "holding down the right stick button". Clicking the right stick doesn't seem to do anything, though.

On the bright side, I did find another neat trick: clicking the left stick will cause your team to huddle around you as if you were holding Y, but doesn't call back any Wonderful Ones who are currently climb attacking or in Unite Morphs.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

in the miso soup posted:

There's something strange going on with taunting, even after reading that article. I've only managed to do it successfully once.

You need to stand right next to an enemy and hold down X + A for a while. It's pretty risky, but I haven't had any trouble activating it when I don't straight up get hit.

E: Oh hey, Platinum fixed the blog entry. It used to say that the alternate input for the taunt was clicking the right stick, when it's actually clicking the left stick.

Doc V fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 17, 2013

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I'm not sure if I enabled some auto combo on accident or whatever but at some point during my hardmode playthrough the game decided to make every attack the wonderful cyclone and when I just fought the first crab when I was standing on his weakspot it wouldn't let me do any attack other then wonderful rising. Like holding still and pushing the button made me fly up.

Did I enable something on accident?

Also anyone know where these two wonders are? Babe and Toy

Edit: Fighting the giant cube dudes seems to force me to cyclone, like it just happens randomly where I get nothing but cyclone.

Edit2: Wow, 006-B is the very definition of bullshit. How the gently caress do they expect anyone to do this poo poo on hard without dying.

Sounds like you have the Full Automatic custom block equipped. It gets automatically equipped when you start a mission on the easier difficulties (even if you don't have a free slot) and doesn't automatically go away if you switch to the harder difficulties, you need to manually unequip it in the custom menu.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

007 is easily the weakest level.

Keep in mind you need a bare minimum number of Wonderful Ones to Unite Morph and you don't have them at the start. You can only do even a small unite morph if every single one of your team members is up and available. Just push past the early parts and you'll get a full team again.

I thought 007 was pretty bad after my first playthrough as well, but I replayed it to look for secrets yesterday and now I actually find it pretty fun (except the spinning platforms, those are still pretty awful). The trick to the first half is that you NEED to steal a bunch of Dough-Goos in the first mission, and you need to change your approach to that fight in order to accomplish that instead of just straight up killing them. If you come out of that mission empty-handed you're going to have a dreadful time with the next few, but if you get a decent-sized squad they're actually relatively easy.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Dieting Hippo posted:

I ended that entire mission with 109 guys. :smug:

I did too in my first run. It's not that the operation is unbeatable without the Dough-Goos, they just make your life MASSIVELY easier and in retrospect it's pretty clearly what the developers intended you to do (even the Kahkoo-Regah in that operation is designed around the same gimmick!)

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Does anyone know how to get the obtain all skills bottlecap or the super unite morph? I need them for a character and kind of clueless. I've made a sword of 100 people and that didn't count, made one of 200 that didn't count either, and according to the shop I have every skill including Platinum and Wonderful Forever

Skills != Unite Morphs. You should get the all skills bottlecap once you've bought all three available skills from the shop and unlocked Stinger/Rising/Cyclone for all the main Morphs (except Bomb).

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Chip Cheezum posted:

Has anybody else heard any new messages during loading screens after beating the game? Normally during the loading screens you'll hear a character shout "The Wonderful 101!" but after beating it I got Laambo pouting and talking about how he hates the Wonderful 101, but I've only heard it once. Are there any others like that out there?

I'm pretty sure I first heard that one before beating the game (around operation 5 or 6, I think?), so you probably just need to reach certain points in the story to unlock them. Either way, the only other unusual loading messages I remember hearing are P-Star beeping and Vorkken telling you to join the Guyzoch.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Ximum posted:

Is there any trick to dealing with the super fast tiger guys? I can handle them by spamming bombs and getting in hits while i can, but it seems like such a clunky and inefficient solution when every other enemy has useful tricks to take advantage of.

Slow them down with a bomb, stun them with the climb attack before they speed up again and then just launch and juggle them until they blow up.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Haha, I was playing 004-A, picked up a tail from one of the scorpions and carried it all the way to the part where you duel 1-on-1 against Vijounne as Blue. Turns out that not only does the game let you use Geth Weapons in that fight, but it straight up one-shot her from full health.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Yeah, when you're drawing a claw, what the game is mainly looking for is just two sharp corners going in opposite directions. You don't really have to worry about angles or making the straights the same lengths or anything, but if you try to do the entire shape in one motion you're usually going to end up with at least one rounded corner, which makes the shape match the whip instead.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Just beat the game, holy poo poo 009 was loving incredible.

Now, is there a list of the Wonderful ones you have? I want to go out collecting, but I don't want to have to go through a level only to find out I have that one already.

In the main menu, go Gallery -> Character Gallery -> Member Files.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Climb attack enough and an enemy is stunned, yes.

Note, though, that calling your team back with Y will immediately cancel any stuns caused by climb attacks, so you need to be a bit careful with dashing.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
I know, but I've been screwed over by it a few times anyway because I was focusing on avoiding attacks and held the button down out of habit. :v:

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Moving discussion here from the LP thread:

Fedule posted:

Here's something else in the meantime: Is there any way to get the game to remember who you choose as your leaders between missions? I'm getting a bit tired of having to change them from the Colour people all the time.

Not as far as I know. It's pretty annoying, but thankfully your Wonderful Ones tend to level up pretty quickly anyway.

Fedule posted:

Oh, and here's another something else. Is there a guideline for what things can be Hero Counter'd, like how Guts only works against blunt attacks etc?

Hero Counter should work on every attack, but of course the timing for some of them can be trickier than others.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Fedule posted:

New question of the day: Op 003-B, Secret Mission 5, Hard, is loving my poo poo up. It's the one with three of those dragon assholes who shield themselves with their wings and you have to pry them open. With three of those assholes at once I can't keep up with the amount of poo poo going down and the Standard Panic Response (Bomb -> Liner) doesn't seem to damage them. Any particular attacks I should be looking to bait and counter or am I just going to have to try and get impossibly good at dodging? (Seriously, it feels like most of their attacks can't be dodged, and I don't know if any can be Guts'd since they're all about biting and claws and fire).

I didn't have anything better to do, so I just spent like an hour getting a Pure Plat in that fight just for you :v:. I did find a pretty reliable strategy, though!

Before the fight, equip Hero Time and remove Dodge Mine (the extra damage from the mines will just ruin your combo score) and Drill Spring (it's just plain awful in general) if you have them equipped. Once the fight starts, draw a hammer and get some free hits on one of the dragons before they start moving, and then just dodge like hell. When you're chaining dodges (dodge again as soon as the previous dodge ends) you can't be hit and the dragons throw enough attacks around that you should be able to trigger Hero Time without even really trying. Dodging during a missile barrage and dodging straight into the soundwave attack seem to be particularly reliable ways to trigger it. Whenever you trigger Hero Time, find the closest dragon that isn't shielding and do a Hammer Rising -> normal air attack -> Hammer Rising combo and dodge away as soon as the second Rising connects*. If you aren't right next to a dragon when you trigger Hero Time you'll probably want to leave out the third or even the second hit so that you aren't in the middle of an attack when the slowdown runs out; basically, the idea is that if you're ever not in Hero Time you want to be dodging constantly so that you can be in Hero Time again and do the three hit hammer combo safely.

The small hammer should do enough damage to give you a Platinum rank for time, and since you get 100 combo points for dodging when you trigger Hero Time and 50 points for each Rising you should be good on combo points, too. The only things to really watch out for are if all the dragons shield at the same time (switch to claws long enough to pry one or two of them open) or if you run low on battery (try to stay as far away from the enemies as possible until you've recharged a few bars).

*The reason you want to dodge-cancel the second Rising early is that if you don't it'll put you so high up that your airdodge animation will end before you reach the ground. That means that there's a tiny window after your airdodge before you can dodge again, which leaves you vulnerable and will screw you over if you're going for a Platinum damage rank in this fight.

Doc V fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 20, 2014

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

blakyoshi posted:

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, those dragons have a stomp attack that can be blocked.
By the way, what's bad about Drill Spring? I've been using it all game.

The problem with Drill Spring is that if you hit something that blocks attacks with it, it breaks and knocks out your entire team, leaving you a sitting duck. If you're fighting things that can't block it's fine, but in most fights it just ends up restricting your mobility and isn't really worth the risk, especially when dodge mines serve pretty much the same purpose anyway.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Fedule posted:

Well, it took me another week before I was even able to play the drat game again but after like a hundred tries I finally nailed that drat fight. I actually used Claws mostly, for the extra cheese factor of being able to freeze some of the assholes for a while, and Whip too, since it seemed to have a good effect on combo. Not sure what the Platinum combo threshold actually was but I got it anyway.

gently caress those things. I am for serious of the opinion that those dragon assholes are straight up badly designed in a way that enemies in Platinum Games generally aren't. They just have too much bullshit going on, and their transition from unshielded to shielded seems to be very poorly coded in that you can be in the middle of slowmo, hitting away with claws or something, and then suddenly BAM, it was shielded! No tell, no nothing, just instant you lose all your guys and now you can't dodge and you're going to take a hit from the spikes coming out, let alone any other nearby enemies.

Yeah, that's actually the reason I used the hammer, unlike the lighter weapons it doesn't break when hitting the shield.

Fedule posted:

More Counter questions: do you have to tilt the stick towards the enemy, like in Revengeance, or into the attack? I thought it was towards the enemy but there've been quite a few times where I felt it really should have worked were that the case and it didn't. As is the norm with Platinum Games, I have no idea if I'm just not good enough at it or if I'm just completely doing the wrong thing.

I think it's towards the attack, but I haven't really played around with it enough to say for sure.

Vanrushal posted:

Idk, I have an easier time with the dragons than trying to wrap my head around the bullshit teleporting/invisible cat assholes. Can't block anything they do since they attack with claws and teeth so you have to dodge like a motherfucker which eats up unite gauge on top of having to spend 2-3 bars making a bomb big enough to slow them down for longer than 2 seconds. I legit do not understand how to fight those things and it's frustrating as poo poo.

The standard strategy I use against the tigers is to hit one with the bomb, do a fully charged team attack, mash X until the enemy gets stunned and then just juggle. The bomb slowdown should generally last long enough to get a stun off and once you are in the air you should be safe from any other tigers in the fight.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Section Z posted:

Obligatory Vorken chat: I guess I got lucky because I smashed him JUST RIGHT the first fight, and he went down fast. The rest of the fights were "Ugh this is only hard because he's got unlimited battery and then he keeps spamming boomerang which I keep needing to use energy to dodge." It's less that I'm Good (lots of bronze and consolation prizes when when not dying), and more that Vorken was the only boss that felt like I could end SO FAST if I wasn't the worst at keeping my energy high.

There's actually a really simple way to restore your battery in the Vorkken fights: just run an Attack Liner straight into his army. It works against other enemies too but seems to be particularly effective in the Vorkken fights, probably because every time you hit an enemy you get some energy back and I think each liner hit damages multiple pirates.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Fedule posted:

Anyone got advice for the Vijounne fight in 004-A? It has the appearance of total bullshit. Her regular saw attack comes out instantly and doesn't seem to have any windup or tell. Also, are you allowed to get hit by her hearts if you're going for Pure Platinum? They don't do any damage but I don't trust the game to take that into account.

The key to doing that fight legitimately is to stay in the air where you can't get hit by the saw and to remember that that fight is one of like three points in the game where you have a full moveset even though you're solo. That is, you have a block and a dodge, your X button does a light attack that doesn't drain battery and you even have Rising/Stinger/Cyclone. And no, the getting hit by the hearts won't hurt your rank.

However, there is also a secret trick to trivializing that fight: bring a Geathjerk weapon. A single hit from a Dahkats tail will one-shot her from full health, and I assume other Geath weapons do similar damage. Of course, one-shotting her will ruin you combo score, so you'll have to hit her a bunch with your sword first to get Pure Plat, but that shouldn't be too tough when you can just spam Rising for a bit for 50 combo points per attack.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Fedule posted:

009-A, mission 2

So, I just got Pure Plat on this on hard.

General advice:

-First of all, the right stick lock-on is too slow to be useful; on the other hand button mashing Y and X will take out most enemies in a flash. The one thing I did use the lock-on for was taking out gold Cough-Foons while they were firing, since the laser makes them hard to approach head-on.

-You usually want to stick pretty close to the rear outside of a few specific situations, since that gives you more reaction time. The rear-right corner seems usually be the safest place.

-You can often see the enemies' shadows before you the enemies themselves show up on screen. Use that to line yourself up with them and blow them up before they get a chance to act.

-When there are multiple enemy types on screen, you usually want to take out the Tie-Kuus (spinning cannons that shoot a lot of bullets) first, since they can cover the screen in bullets pretty quickly and unlike the other enemies they'll actually aim at you.

-In general, try to position yourself so that the enemy formations fly right into your line of fire.

-Your hitbox seems to be only Platinum Robo's head, though the perspective sometimes makes it kind of tricky to figure out when it's actually hitting something.

Specific sections:

-The first Cough-Foon: after you blow up the first pair of Notoriyeahs (big disc things), just stick to the middle of the screen and you should be able to take the first Cough-Foon out as soon as it spawns.

-The second Cough-Foon wave: a bit later, you'll run into two Cough-Foons at the sides. You actually want to ignore them at first and fire down the middle, since there's a Tie-Kuu wave there that will fill the center with bullets if you let them live. Afterwards, I like to take out the left Cough-Foon with lock-on shots and then shoot down the right one head-on.

-The snake: just shoot a laser at it.

-After the snake, there's a few waves of turtles and then more Tie-Kuus on the left. Afterwards, there's a wave of turtles coming from rear left, so you'll want to move towards the front while shooting the Tie-Kuus so that you have some room to dodge.

-Right after that, there's probably the trickiest part of the level. A pair of Notoriyeahs will show up in front of you, which is your cue to stay away from the rear because another pair is about to spawn behind you. And right after that, you get a wave of three Cough-Foons. My strategy here is to move to the front left to take out the left Cough-Foon before it fires, then wait for the Notoriyeahs to spin out of the way so I can fall to the rear while taking pot shots at them with the lock-on. Once you get to the rear, wait for the middle Cough-Foon to stop firing so that you can move in front of it and take it down. Afterwards, destroying the last Cough-Foon with either the lock on or rapid fire shouldn't be a problem.

-The boss: this is probably the hardest part to do consistently, just because of the fireballs. The way you deal with them is you just try to find a big gap and fly through. Remember that your hitbox is only Platinum Robo's head (probably) and hope that it's where it looks like it is. One thing you can do to make that part slightly easier is using lock-on: while you're tilting the right stick, the fireballs slow down, which makes them slightly easier to get through. After the fireballs, Ohrowchee will move forward and do a melee attack, but you can dodge that easily by hugging the rear right corner.

Ultimately, the mission just boils down to memorizing the enemies' patterns and taking out most of them before they get a chance to attack. Fortunately, the enemies are all completely deterministic, so once you figure out how to solve a section, the same strategy should work pretty consistently. Even after I had everything figured out it still took a while to remember everything and to not make any stupid execution mistakes, but god drat was that results screen satisfying.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

The_Final_Stand posted:

Quick question; I just switched off Drill Spring and Attack Liner, since using them meant that my minions kept getting launched everywhere every time I dodge or Wonder-Liner in close proximity to one of the tortoises or indeed any monster that's blocking my attacks. Am I insane for doing this?

I definitely recommend switching off Drill Spring, the possibility of having your entire team get knocked out right when you're trying to avoid something is just way too dangerous. If you just want to deal damage with your dodges, Dodge Mines fill the exact same niche without being risky as hell. As for Attack Liner, it's really useful for filling the Unite Gauge quickly and it deals crazy amounts of damage to anything slowed by Unite Bomb, so I prefer to keep it on. You can usually avoid hitting enemy blocks with it by just drawing in a different direction, anyway.

The_Final_Stand posted:

On another note; how do you deal with enemies that keep blocking your attacks? Do you just wait it out?

Depends on the enemy, really. Tigers? Step back (and toss a bomb). Enraged Die Dough-Goos? Get away and spam Gun Stinger. Laambo/Walltha/Ankhos? Dodge straight through them and hit them from behind.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Thanks for the tips! People had said in the WiiU thread that the game doesn't explain too much in the way of the mechanics. It kind of does and kind of doesn't, but I think it's helpful to watch someone good playing it to see what can be done.

On that note, how do you juggle enemies? Do they have to be dazed first?

Yeah, you either have to daze them (usually by blocking an attack with Guts) or stun them by repeatedly hitting them with the Team Attack (X button) or Unite Gun. Once the enemy is stunned, launch it with a Rising and then just keep hitting it to keep it in the air. Certain large enemies can only be launched if your Unite Morph is big enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

It's also really lame that failing a Kahkoo-Regah section counts as a death on the stage's final score. I'm all for punishing difficulty, but god drat if it doesn't feel unfair when all you did was fail a "take zero damage" punch-out secret challenge a few times and you get a consolation prize at the end of your platinum run.

When you fail a Kahkoo-Regah and the game asks you if you want to retry, you can actually just pick "No" and the game will drop you right outside the Kahkoo-Regah entrance without counting the death. You can then retry the mission by just entering the Kahkoo-Regah again. It's one of those design decisions that they clearly didn't think through, since it makes the choice on the failure screen essentially boil down to "Do you want to take a rank penalty or sit through two loading screens?"

• Locked thread