Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
this is like a slightly better dark knight rises in that its a fairly entertaining action fair ruined by an utterly hamfisted political agenda ruining the story. a bit better editing and slightly tweaked writing could have turned this into a grittier fifth element but sadly it was not to be.

what it does right: the design and the fights. holy poo poo this movie kicks rear end in these aspects. you can really tell the designers had free reign in these areas and it shows. shootouts are full of imagination and bursts of unexpected gore thats becoming a staple of blomkamp films. some scenes are literally like the designers are having a communal orgasm over the screen and it tells, and kudos to the director for letting them have their head. the setting is compelling at face value, but does get bogged down in the detail.

what it does wrong: matt damon is pretty forgettable as a lead (not that he has much to work with in the setting) and again, the whole moral of the story is delivered in such a painful way whether you agree with it or not it really detracts from the experience.

this movie is best enjoyed when you grin and bear it through the storyline detail and appreciate the work of the designers in both setting and action. this probably sounds silly but i also appreciate the international cast of characters (even if they are pretty much all white)

i would give it a 3.5/5 but i'll give it an extra 0.5 for sharlto copley who just loving knocks it out of the park in his role taking it to a begrudging

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU