Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I went into this movie fairly enthusiastic as I had seen a lot of concept imagery on the tumblrs of robot art/character design/weaponry design/space station design, but had heard it was a bit of a snooze plot wise.

And boy was I rewarded well visually, and disappointed plot-wise!

I'll keep it brief: Elysium is a big space station in the sky for the uber rich who have access to magical medical technology that can cure any illness (How this comes about, I'm not really worried about), and live wonderfully bland champagne drinking/pool sitting lives, although apparently some work in the station government/military(?? They seem to have guns but no one really uses them?).

And without ruining anything of the movie, this is where I draw the most ire to it, aside from the characterization/child-like concept of politics. Elysium could've been a boat in the middle of the ocean for all it mattered, or a chunk of Northern California. We never learn anything about the citizens of Elysium other than that everyone there is snooty and lovely. We never travel anywhere deep in the station, we just get dumb (augmented) fight scenes.

Character-wise there was a lot of double up. Why was Matt Damon there when our soldier for hire Shartlo had even better motivation for going to Elysium? Why was there a random corporate exec AND Jodie Foster going for the same kind of goal? This would've made the characters a lot stronger IMHO and would've gotten rid of the weak love interest/designated plot carrier.

In the end, I got a bunch of poorly motivated characters on a poorly written world that happened to be very pretty.

Also what was hilarious to me was that, oh boy everyone can go to Elysium/have access to medical technology, that'll certainly fix the pollution and overpopulation issues that were destroying Earth!

2/5. Wish it was better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU