Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«307 »
Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I had them siege everything down for my first two wars seeing as my entire military was 2 infantry regiments. Then they annexed all of the Orthodox minors on their south border allowing me to support religious rebels to flip them. Eventually managed to push a claim and PU them because gently caress annexing Hungary

No one seemed inclined to gently caress with them for some reason. Probably related to the Hungary/Byz/Muscovy alliance.

Ah, now Muscovy I was allied to for a while. They eventually broke the alliance and formed Russia. We could have been best Orthodox buddies but apparently they wanted to go it alone.

Anyway, I just focused on building up a navy for my Ottoman wars. Once I had a few more ships than they I set to declaring war, blocked the channel with my fleet and captured their Greek provinces with the few thousand troops I had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I need help, and fast. Around 1500 as France, my country started turning protestant. No way to convert the areas back because of a modifier. Slowly everything is going protestant. I switched my religion to protestant, but now like 1/3 is protestant, 1/3 is catholic, and 1/3 is reformed. What the hell do I do?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007
I never realized why I was a stupid newbie.

Zotix posted:

I need help, and fast. Around 1500 as France, my country started turning protestant. No way to convert the areas back because of a modifier. Slowly everything is going protestant. I switched my religion to protestant, but now like 1/3 is protestant, 1/3 is catholic, and 1/3 is reformed. What the hell do I do?

The modifier does wear off eventually, but if you've already switched to Protestant (and it's not a bad set of bonuses, that), might as well go the whole hog. Convert the hell out of your Catholic provinces, wait until the modifier passes for your Reformed provinces, and just generally hunker own and ride out the religious disunity.

The Reformation is always going to hurt unless you're Spanish or Italian, basically, but you can ride it out whether you choose to convert or stick with the Pope.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Englands's greatest Prime Minister?

Well, now into the later 1500s in my Cherokee game. Just 3 provinces short of having the 13 Colonies region settled and (mostly) sold off to my vassals. Now I just need to find some European to westernize off of without them killing me, but I there's nobody I can see yet. Spain has had 1 barque just ominously parked off the coast for 30 years though.

The Portuguese sailed past in 1491, the Spanish 20 years later, and the Netherlands just sailed past. So far no action from anyone aside from a Scottish merchant in Chesapeake bay.

Zotix posted:

Edict of Nantes.

But seriously you should be able to ride it out easily, you're France for Christ's sake.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at Sep 17, 2013 around 06:33

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I just started a war with Portugal and Spain as this poo poo started.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hah, well that's terrible timing. You can always consider giving up a province or two if things start to go south. 10 years from now you'll have this sorted and you can go kick their teeth in.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

PittTheElder posted:

Although I wonder if you couldn't do Central America on only 6-10 tags. The Inca probably only need 1 or two more, those guys were probably unified enough to present as one thing. Just need a couple tags to splinter them into for civil war purposes, and Chimu should already exist.
Inca needs several tags and some complexity in governance just to stop it from being such a loving steamroller.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Hah, well that's terrible timing. You can always consider giving up a province or two if things start to go south. 10 years from now you'll have this sorted and you can go kick their teeth in.

It's well over 10 years now and I've still got that national modifier of Religious Turmoil

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Zotix posted:

It's well over 10 years now and I've still got that national modifier of Religious Turmoil

Just sit tight and keep converting what you can, it'll pass soon, and a lot of other countries are suffering the same at this time. Fairly sure the Religious Turmoil modifier is tied to religious unity, so once you pump that back up you should be good to go.

Try looking over your decision list, too, and see if there's any +missionary strength ones that don't cost something you consider unacceptable. Find their requirements, and go for them! Also keep an eye out for the inquisitor adviser, too. +missionary strength doesn't just allow you to convert hard provinces, it allows you to convert 'em faster, so stack 'em up and get the bonfires burning.

Rincewind
Feb 19, 2001

No reason to make an effort to empathize if doing so comes at the price of oblivion.

Is low religious unity going to bite me in the rear end? I may have jumped the gum a bit on going Reformed. I haven't gotten religious turmoil or anything, but a lot of my richest provinces (including London and Antwerp, whoops) are still Catholic and their high tax base means I can't convert them. I haven't been getting zealot rebels or anything, though (although they do show up under my possible rebels when my stab gets low).

I could stock up on +missionary ideas and advisors, but I kind of don't really want to derail everything for who knows how long if I can just keep on coasting with low unity.

Ammonsa
Oct 13, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Opinions: How's this look for a Scottish-formed Great Britain? (Still called Great Britain, but I changed the flag and color).

Definitely the flag is a little pixelated, in the corner. Not sure what's up with that, as the .tga itself is smooth.

How did you change the colour and flag (and how would you change the name?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Rincewind posted:

Is low religious unity going to bite me in the rear end? I may have jumped the gum a bit on going Reformed. I haven't gotten religious turmoil or anything, but a lot of my richest provinces (including London and Antwerp, whoops) are still Catholic and their high tax base means I can't convert them. I haven't been getting zealot rebels or anything, though (although they do show up under my possible rebels when my stab gets low).

I could stock up on +missionary ideas and advisors, but I kind of don't really want to derail everything for who knows how long if I can just keep on coasting with low unity.

It's a pretty nasty tax penalty, I think, revolt risk all around, and the chance of ugly events. The tax penalty is probably the big one - I hope you haven't spent that chunk of change you get from conversion, because it'll come in useful for riding out the taxation issues (though if you're making oodles of boodle through trade that might not matter as much).

Mind, I think converting means you get events that flip individual provinces to your new religion more often, so London and Antwerp aren't right out, but you still want to convert as many as you can manually.

Rincewind
Feb 19, 2001

No reason to make an effort to empathize if doing so comes at the price of oblivion.

Tomn posted:

It's a pretty nasty tax penalty, I think, revolt risk all around, and the chance of ugly events. The tax penalty is probably the big one - I hope you haven't spent that chunk of change you get from conversion, because it'll come in useful for riding out the taxation issues (though if you're making oodles of boodle through trade that might not matter as much).

Mind, I think converting means you get events that flip individual provinces to your new religion more often, so London and Antwerp aren't right out, but you still want to convert as many as you can manually.

Oh, haha, I didn't even notice the tax penalty since I'm drowning in trade (plus I got the reformed +trade bonus!)

I'll keep on converting the provinces I can and hope my expensive ones flip, I guess.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Tomn posted:

Fairly sure the Religious Turmoil modifier is tied to religious unity, so once you pump that back up you should be good to go.

Not exactly.

Whatever (Christian) faith you are, you need both of the other religions to be less than 20% of your province. So if you're Catholic, 19% Reformed and 19% Protestant provinces would be enough to end it. You can have both minorities, although that's unusual given now rare Reformed is at the moment. Once you hit that, it's a quick 2 months MTTH for the concluding event to fire.

The important take away is that it's all about the number of provinces. Bonuses to Religious Unity (which I think the Edict of Nantes gives you) don't help.

Ammonsa posted:

Country Colors are defined in:

<RootDir>:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Europa Universalis IV\common\countries\CountryName.txt

Flags are in:

<RootDir>:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Europa Universalis IV\gfx\flags\TAG.tga

Names are in (language dependent of course):

<RootDir>:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Europa Universalis IV\localisation\countries_l_english.yml

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at Sep 17, 2013 around 07:08

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Ammonsa posted:

It's basically just a new country. I made the 'Form Great Britain' decision turn you into GSC instead of GBR if you're Scotland, and then went through and edited GSC into (almost) everything GBR had.

Which, and I'm going to be foolishly delighted, because my mod of random crap is currently #1 on the Steam workshop.

Ammonsa
Oct 13, 2012

Thanks guys, it works great, but not with the converted saves, which is half of the reason I wanted to rename Great Britain in the first place. But yeah, it's cool!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

AI can't really deal with that.

Irrelevant, the AI doesn't receive naval attrition.

quote:

The biggest offenders to me are the piss poor treatment of the aztecs and the maya who were in no way unified in the way they are presented in Eu4.

cough cough https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...9/fun2eu4v11.7z

Old Inca screenie though, the Aimara/Quito are now smaller. Proper Inca is formed by uniting the fucks, then you also get the CK2 converted sunset ideas.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Ammonsa posted:

Thanks guys, it works great, but not with the converted saves, which is half of the reason I wanted to rename Great Britain in the first place. But yeah, it's cool!
Converted saves create a mod - you can probably just adjust it in the mod that it creates, which is even more precise for what you want. Try modifying the files in Users\(your account)\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\eu4_export\mod\(exported game)\localisation

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at Sep 17, 2013 around 09:07

Rapner
May 7, 2013

As England how can I get CB on an Indian state in order to get a foothold?

I can't forge claims as I am not a neighbour, and the expansion ideas thing only works against pagans.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

The Exploration CB is for Pagans, the Expansion one is for anyone in the Indian/Chinese/Nomad tech groups.

Autonomous Monster
Apr 29, 2013

And also the gain a foothold mission gives you claims on the entire Indian coast.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009

A_Raving_Loon posted:

The Exploration CB is for Pagans, the Expansion one is for anyone in the Indian/Chinese/Nomad tech groups.

As I discovered playing Oman, it doesn't work for non western cultures or something.
In my Oman game I totally rely on the religious idea CB, that works against everyone not Shiite.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

The expansion cb only works if you are fully westernised.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

Rapner posted:

As England how can I get CB on an Indian state in order to get a foothold?

I can't forge claims as I am not a neighbour, and the expansion ideas thing only works against pagans.

You can get a mission to expand into India. Not sure if it's the same for GB as Russia, but I found that if you take a bunch of the coast, then give it all to a vassal, you can get the mission again (in case your CB runs out before you claim the entire coast.)Works for the China mission too, just take as much as you can, give it all to a vassal, then it should show up again.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Tahirovic posted:

As I discovered playing Oman, it doesn't work for non western cultures or something.
In my Oman game I totally rely on the religious idea CB, that works against everyone not Shiite.

As I discovered playing Persia, only Christians and Muslims get Holy War with that idea. Everyone else gets Religious Liberation, which is only useful if there's any provinces with your religion on the map that you don't own (so Norse/Jewish/Zoroastrian CK2+ imports likely need not apply).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at Sep 17, 2013 around 13:39

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

zeitgeist 2011

Tahirovic posted:

The Holy War CB only applies to heathens, not heretics. The Cleansing of Heresy CB you get against heretics only allows you to force conversion and some other relatively niche stuff at with bonuses, not annex or claim anything. Don't make the same mistake I did and rack up unnecessary AE by warring heretics with CoH!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

...the engine tracks thousands of details for each unit meaning it will be a far deeper game than your grandpa's chess.
Pre-order CHESS now and receive the DLC "queen" unit.

If my capital trade node is Lubeck is there any point to doing anything in Asia? All the possible routes end up either in Venice or Holland. I like the new trade system but the often arbitrary routes can really railroad where you expand. Why couldn't The Hansa have a colonial and trade empire in Africa and India? Apparently because you can't steer trade away from the stupid dutch.

The best I can do is colonize the Philippines because it has a node I can send to central america, and then to the Caribbean, and then to North america, then to the north sea, then home to Lubeck.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at Sep 17, 2013 around 16:02

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

It's just. That. Simple.

A Tartan Tory posted:

The expansion cb only works if you are fully westernised.

Which is weird because the exploration CB works even as a pagan.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

Baronjutter posted:

If my capital trade node is Lubeck is there any point to doing anything in Asia? All the possible routes end up either in Venice or Holland. I like the new trade system but the often arbitrary routes can really railroad where you expand. Why couldn't The Hansa have a colonial and trade empire in Africa and India? Apparently because you can't steer trade away from the stupid dutch.

The best I can do is colonize the Philippines because it has a node I can send to central america, and then to the Caribbean, and then to North america, then to the north sea, then home to Lubeck.

Not so. You can do Asia->Gulf of Aden -> Ivory Coast -> Caribbean -> Chesapeake -> North Sea -> Lubeck

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

You don't have to collect everything in your capital. For collecting, the important part is your percentage of the total power in a given node. If you can dominate Chesapeake or the Caribbean, you can suck up every ducat that goes to Europe by sea before it crosses the Atlantic.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

...the engine tracks thousands of details for each unit meaning it will be a far deeper game than your grandpa's chess.

Non Sequitur posted:

Not so. You can do Asia->Gulf of Aden -> Ivory Coast -> Caribbean -> Chesapeake -> North Sea -> Lubeck

gently caress you're right, I never noticed that route as it doesn't exactly make logical sense (why would you sail to the carribean on your way from India to Germany??) but in-game yeah, and the more nodes means more value. Don't know how I missed this. Carribean and chesapeake are 100% colonized by me so now I just need some minor african holdings and bam, India here I come.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Although the primary boost from moving node-to-node seems to be having other countries participating in steering the trade forward. For example, in my Morocco game, I steered trade all the way around Africa to Sevilla to collect. I controlled all of Africa, so each time it moved forward a node it would add a little bit of trade, but not much. When it hit the Ivory Coast, however, a ton nations wanted to push it north to Europe and the trade value nearly doubled moving from Ivory Coast north.

If you're an unconventional colonizer who can't ship trade home, just collect over seas, or ship to a province where you control almost everything. Like, it's fairly easy to seize the whole Cape in South Africa, then you can ship all the Chinese/Japanese trade west, but collect in the Cape where you can suck it all dry. You get a penalty to trade power for collecting in a non-capital zone, but that only really matters if you're competing with other people.

You won't make as much money as a nation who can ship the cash through a bunch of extra nodes home, but you can already make so much money via trade that it really shouldn't matter, unless doing things in a non ~optimal~ manner sets off your OCD or something.

I'm thinking I might try an Ottomans game where I grab as much of the Carribian/Mexico/Chesapeake as a can and collect my profits in Chesapeake. Just to be contrary.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

gently caress you're right, I never noticed that route as it doesn't exactly make logical sense (why would you sail to the carribean on your way from India to Germany??) but in-game yeah, and the more nodes means more value. Don't know how I missed this. Carribean and chesapeake are 100% colonized by me so now I just need some minor african holdings and bam, India here I come.

In real-life, the Spanish ran trade goods from the Philippines through Mexico. Trade routes got weird like that

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

In real-life, the Spanish ran trade goods from the Philippines through Mexico. Trade routes got weird like that

Yeah I'm glad they have the Philippines-mexico route for that reason. Was just reading the Secret Voyages of Sir Francis Drake and it's all about these trade routes.

!!!EU4 BOOK CHAT!!!
Read The secret Voyages of Sir Francis Drake!
http://www.amazon.com/The-Secret-Vo...e/dp/0142004596

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Thanks for all the advice with regards to trying to get Sultan of Rum with my Ottomans!

Westernised a bit and then joined a coalition against Muscovy and was able to beat them down a bit and force them to release a few border territories in the south.

From there I just rebuilt and went in again a couple of times after a few years (after taking Rome) and was pretty easily able to beat them. Gonna wait til the patch before I start my next save.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

The run I was on made Sinatra, Flynn, Jagger and Richards look like droopy-eyed armless children.

Stuff stuff about the patch from the live stream:

Two new DLC next week on Tuesday. USA DLC "American Dreams" and I believe a national monuments type for the rest of the world.

Ideas for "Serbia, Songhai, Tibet, Punjab, Malayan states, Switzerland," and more.

The option to play as a vassal country when you release them, presumably they'd stop being a vassal.

The option to immediately surrender in a war and let the enemy have whatever they want.

Borderless windowed mode option.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

It's all for nothing if you don't have freedom.

Trujillo posted:

Stuff stuff about the patch from the live stream:

Two new DLC next week on Tuesday. USA DLC "American Dreams" and I believe a national monuments type for the rest of the world.

Ideas for "Serbia, Songhai, Tibet, Punjab, Malayan states, Switzerland," and more.

The option to play as a vassal country when you release them, presumably they'd stop being a vassal.

The option to immediately surrender in a war and let the enemy have whatever they want.

Borderless windowed mode option.

Tibet!!

e: Doesn't America only exist for forty years or so in game? Wonder how that'll work out.

Omelette du Fromage
Jul 5, 2006

I'm hoping that's just a generic colonial revolts DLC instead of a USA-centric one. Either way, I'm not sure I'll ever play a game to the point where it'll even come into play for me.

Autonomous Monster
Apr 29, 2013

EUIV has a skybox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

EUIV has a skybox.

So does Ck2.

«307 »