Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Mash posted:

Ghost is beyond useless.

The only thing you need to do a stealth run is a silencer on your starter pistol and the ten cable ties in Mastermind

But I love the idea of Ghost, isn't that enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
How do respecs work? Are you allowed to respec whenever or is there limitations?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

The White Dragon posted:

But I love the idea of Ghost, isn't that enough?

Oh trust me, when the skill trees were first made available, my friends and I each picked one to max and I chose Ghost because it sounds awesome. The problem is that the game doesn't work like that (from the missions we've seen, that is).

Stealth is about execution more than skill points, whereas all-out combat with SWAT teams and riot shields (which is unavoidable on most missions) is reliant on your number of bullets and the strength of your armor.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Jaroslav posted:

How do respecs work? Are you allowed to respec whenever or is there limitations?

You can respec when ever, but you only get half of your money back.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Jaroslav posted:

You can respec whenever but it costs money which is a precious resource while you're levelling. Once you've been max level a while, you'll be able to respec no problem.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

averox posted:

Steam hardware survey says that 72.65% of people have mics. Seems like 9/10 of those people refuse to use their mics. Seriously goddamn it's 2013 people no one gives a poo poo how you sound. I understand that there are times and circumstances where you can't use your mic but just use your mic if you can folks. It's that much quicker and handier.

I still remember the first time I heard someone on a mic on the internet in like 1998. They tried to troll and scream racial slurs and be wacky as poo poo too! Things haven't improved much since then, I have a mic but still never use it and usually mute everyone in all multiplayer games, sorry. The internet is terrible.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pryor on Fire posted:

I still remember the first time I heard someone on a mic on the internet in like 1998. They tried to troll and scream racial slurs and be wacky as poo poo too! Things haven't improved much since then, I have a mic but still never use it and usually mute everyone in all multiplayer games, sorry. The internet is terrible.

Then in this one specific case, use Mumble and only play with goons? We're pretty reliable and you generally won't get people shouting racist poo poo unless someone brings along one of their irl friends in which case they're always a wildcard

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'm really interested in the ghost stuff now that everyone has dismissed it as terrible and useless. Any redeeming qualities at all? I always love the most broken/useless classes in games like this for some horrible reason.

Badgerz
Aug 25, 2011
This game does not work in a group without a mic. fyi.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'm really interested in the ghost stuff now that everyone has dismissed it as terrible and useless. Any redeeming qualities at all? I always love the most broken/useless classes in games like this for some horrible reason.

The ability to bag corpses looks pretty good for stealth, but if you have a full and competent crew, it's unnecessary. As soon as I learned about stealth and the ghost class, I knew instantly that I would be a ghost, but sadly, the ghost tree is really, really underwhelming. Now I'm mastermind with a few ghost skills. The mastermind it better at stealthing than the ghost.

e: I'd say that if you plan on soloing a lot, maybe the ghost tree becomes a little more appealing but even still...

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

Badgerz posted:

This game does not work in a group without a mic. fyi.

Unless you are theoretically all in the same room.

Or are some sort of Payday savant.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah, it's a shame because I was pumping a bunch of points into Ghost in the beta and it very slowly dawned on me that Ghost was totally useless. Like, nothing I was getting from the skill tree mattered.

Luckily, it's all getting wiped!

I don't know, the ECM has its very limited use for buying time at the start of a mission, preventing the easily-preventable situation of having someone call the cops. But really all you need to stop that is for everybody to keep their eyes on every civilian and shout them down or tie them up.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Only 2 out of the 3 first tier Ghost skills looks even remotely useful. Unless maybe you want to use ECM for a specific stealth run we have yet to discover.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the skills get shuffled or changed, post release. The other trees all have useful, or at least cool skills.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

IT'S RELEASED!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Games out.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Right before the unlocking of the game a US goon was nice enough to get me a copy for my friend. I have it in my inventory. Will it still carry the pre-order bonuses once he gets it or is it too late?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Before everybody loses themselves in the game forever, could I get some advice on my shotgun/utility build?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is anyone else stuck at 90%? I had it preloaded and everything beforehand..

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There was a stealth patch. Probably a few hundred megs as it took me 2 minutes to download at 500kb's.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah, getting 0 bytes/s on the download too. :argh:

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

It has to validate and download at least a few hundred megs from your pre-load.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Devour or Fire posted:

Before everybody loses themselves in the game forever, could I get some advice on my shotgun/utility build?

Put a point in Fast Learner. Otherwise it's not terrible

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Well, this is fun.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

There should probably be an FAQ about the weapon unlock system in the OP. It's surely going to be a frequent question. i.e. I HAVE THE MOD WHY CAN'T I USE IT?

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
The estimated time keeps jumping from 4 minutes all the way to 4 hours back to 16 minutes and back to 1 hour and so forth. Toying with my emotions. :f5:

I should probably go to sleep.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Guess their download servers are getting flooded, so most people are stuck at waiting and the ETA predictor is just randomly making poo poo up. Business as usual.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Guess their download servers are getting flooded, so most people are stuck at waiting and the ETA predictor is just randomly making poo poo up. Business as usual.

Pretty great seeing person after person on your friends list starting up the game when the download is just sitting there doing nothing at all and when it does download (for 20 seconds at a time) you get 200kb a second.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
I changed my download server and it's going much more quickly. Or maybe the speed increase was entirely coincidental. :shrug:

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

versus posted:

I changed my download server and it's going much more quickly. Or maybe the speed increase was entirely coincidental. :shrug:

How did you do that? Restart steam?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Wait a minute, that doesn't sound great at all! :monocle:

But also nothing to be mad or surprised at, it's a synchronized steam launch, if you get in during the first hour you're the exception.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Yeah I love Valve but you'd really think they'd have this release a game digitally at a certain time down pat by now. It's like that old Windows XP file copy estimated time joke.

Fortunately I'm down from 9 hours back to 3 minutes now.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

The Mash posted:

How did you do that? Restart steam?

Steam, Settings, Download, server selection. It restarts steam.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
My game unpacked and is working. I didn't see anything extra download, it just took 16 mins to unpack.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

versus posted:

I've done that three times. game just sits there and won't download. I've been using Steam since HL2 and this has never happened.

Doctor Doctor
May 25, 2009

"I'm not a hero, I'm just an old killer"
This is a pretty normal Steam release so far.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

nucleicmaxid posted:

Steam, Settings, Download, server selection. It restarts steam.

Switch to Detroit, download finished in about 30 seconds after that. Nobody uses Detroit for anything. :(

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

For some reason I've had to download an extra 2% (my copy was pre-loaded) and yet there is apparently no bandwidth to download the game with- somehow. Changed my download server and so on, still sitting on 0 k/bs.

Have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to have to do the whole download again. It's been sitting at 98% for 20 minutes now.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Aug 13, 2013

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah I love Valve but you'd really think they'd have this release a game digitally at a certain time down pat by now. It's like that old Windows XP file copy estimated time joke.
If you mean the time estimation, that algorithm always breaks down into meaninglessness when the progress rate has a wide variance or just drops to zero.

If you mean the heavy load, that's a systematic design attribute - in a fixed infrastructure designing the servers for load spikes that occur maybe 0.01% of the time over a year but would have 95% unusued capacity during the other 99.99% is very expensive and very wasteful. I don't know to which extend valve employs dynamically allocated server capacity.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

Just be patient. When it says 0KB/s, it's just processing data instead of downloading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulips
Dec 27, 2011

Duck Hunt!

I'm playing now, anyone up for a game? I haven't played the Beta or anything, so total noob.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970414577/

• Locked thread