Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

H2SO4 posted:

Can't stress this enough. Get your loving mics on, people - you can't stop for a chat in the middle of an overkill SWAT rush.

Steam hardware survey says that 72.65% of people have mics. Seems like 9/10 of those people refuse to use their mics. Seriously goddamn it's 2013 people no one gives a poo poo how you sound. I understand that there are times and circumstances where you can't use your mic but just use your mic if you can folks. It's that much quicker and handier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mzbundifund posted:

You have to shoot guards until you get the Dominator skill, which is on the third tier of the Mastermind skill tree. Even then the Dominator skill has been nerfed to nigh-uselessness, as you can only convince a single guard to drop his gun and give up, and until that guard dies, nobody else on the map will ever surrender to you.

How is this still being stated as fact? Just today I've shouted down two guards. Both of them put their hands in the air at the same time but I could only get them to kneel and cuff themselves one at a time. This is with a third rent-a-cop I had.

If anything though it seems the effectiveness of being able to shout down a guard has been lowered. I'm finding it quite tough to get them to surrender as easily as I did in beta although I'm not sure if difficulty plays a matter in that.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
Mosconi and Bullet Storm.

Oh. My. God. :swoon:

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
I learned the hard way that the railings on the side of Rats Day 3 do not stop bags.

ALL DAT MONEY FALLING OFF :saddowns:

What is with all the hackers?
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/630789657324789768/D7EED034B09F1CBD1D93D1C77421B20440EA5A04/1024x640.resizedimage
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/630789851471853022/66475C790FF56E363B90970C00F00E4701AA37A9/1024x640.resizedimage
http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/631915533455156615/5E69E58FE811FDA3BD257E057BD7C3C93984FCC7/1024x640.resizedimage
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/631915533455160270/7B6731E8C9D31C85634D086353694D45859E4A08/1024x640.resizedimage

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you position yourself correctly you can get beaten by shields through solid walls but having that happen 4 times is pretty much impossible.

It's a joke :v:

The two images with Bats is because of a desync issue. That vault door stayed closed on my end for at least 30 seconds and later on everything with that map went to poo poo. One out of ten swat guys would be able to track and shoot at me while the other ones just sat there waiting to be shot. Even when I grabbed a bag and bailed for the escape, the host asked me why I was hanging out in the bank until he saw my outline warp to the van.

The Nightclub one was strange since we all saw closed doors except for Bats. In fact he was able to walk all the way back there and even told us that the escape van was there before the cue even played.

The other two are from the same session and Hendy got pushed into a wall by a shield. We were wondering how we'd finish the escape granted Hendy could not be shot at but he was able to go to the other end of the wall, wiggle his way through, and then coming out of the cellar. Basically Hendy is a cat that got stuck in the walls.

averox fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 23, 2013

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
Smooth talker will give you up to 4 pager uses. The first two can be done by anyone but last two have to be done by someone with Smooth Talker. Then you need Dominator as well to get the whole thing on lockdown.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Broseph Brostar posted:

Seriously, Fast Learner is very important unless you plan to stay in the 50s-60s. Level 100 is around 23 million xp, the halfway point is around level 85.

Dead Presidents is possibly the worst skill in the game, especially because it's not even 5% more cash in general, it's 5% of the loose money and valuables. It's such a tiny amount of cash that it's not worth getting even at level 2.

Yeah Fast Learner should be in your build until you hit 100. Has anyone tested if the ace stacks onto the base skill?

People with Dead Presidents are cute.
"Let me pick up the money and put the bags in the van! I have Dead Presidents and we get more money!"

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Robzor McFabulous posted:

Yeah the Ace stacks with the base for you personally, multiple people with the Aced version don't stack though.

Dead Presidents is useful pretty much only for potentially doing Four Stores at very low levels to get enough loose cash outside of safes to make 15,000, so far as I can see.

These were pubs in their mid 40s. Yeah.

But yeah 20% extra exp for 4 skill points? Everyone should have that.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Motherfucker posted:

"I HOPE YOU DON'T MIND TRYING TO AIM THE SAW WHILE WEARING MY BUTTCHEEKS AS GLASSES. I'M SURE BEING USEFUL SCOOPING UP THE LOOT INSTEAD OF DEFENDING YOU, I HAVE A PERK FOR IT!"

Goons I play with are good about letting me do my saw thing and are outside killing cops. Even when they aren't, one goon is a few boxes behind as to give me room to aim.

Pubs on the other hand? I MUST BE ALL UP IN YOUR poo poo AND PULL THE LOOT AS SOON AS YOU SAW THE BOX! And then you have the other two sitting inside trying to pick boxes.

Also loving christ are pubs terrible with the saw. Sometimes I'll be on a bank heist where two of us have saws. I'm done my whole side while the pub is grinding the poo poo out of their saw and has less than half of the boxes done.

averox fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 21, 2013

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Foehammer posted:

When I see someone struggling with the saw, I usually type out "Remember, 2 quick taps to open a deposit box", and get replies of "Whoah, holy poo poo".

Also had a pubbie not realize how berserker worked. "Let me do the boxes, my game has the quick saw glitch right now".

I've told pubs about tapping before and some are all "I know how to use it". Oh well!

That pub :allears: I usually let goons know I'm activating berserker so that they know I'm not dying in the parking lot alone for no reason.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
You lose stealth and have to do the server upload thing.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
Payday 2 is an MMO now.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm also wondering how the shield issue didn't get spotted and changed in the short beta.

Sure I've got Iron Man aced but tough luck trying to knock down some six shields in a row who may be backed up by tazers or dozers. The worst is when you're stuck spamming melee and even your teammates can't help out because the shields are stacked so that the one stunned is still protected by another shield right on top.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't know. I honestly don't miss bulletstorm because it was quite situational. Yes it could have saved people in some situations but I would say more often than not, your team was struggling on ammo because "I don't want to waste bulletstorm :qq:". I hit a point where I'd just drop my ammo for the team and spray at a wave despite it not being in any danger.

Now that I don't have it anymore, I drop ammo for my team whenever and wherever it's good for them. Thanks to Fully Loaded, I hardly have to use the bags as well.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That's not what medpacks are for; they're so you can reset your "X downs until auto-jail" timer.

That and they're also useful for healing up to full just before you cross the street with bags in the middle of an assault.

Yep. This is pretty much the only times I've ever used medpacks. If you're using it to top off because you went low on health, you're wasting medpack charges.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm entirely sure the excuse they mentioned about FPS for only having one dominated dude ever is bull and more for balance. I remember having something like eight to ten cops dominated on a bank run in the beta and it ran perfectly fine. I had my own little stable of men on their knees. That came out wrong.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Shumagorath posted:

Is it more weapons captured on day 1 that results in more guards on day 2?

It's killing guards that generate more guards. I think someone said that they are spawned from the lobby elevators.

Any map that used the bank used to be bugged in that any guns, even silenced, resulted in everyone on the map hearing it. This has since been rectified.

Silenced weapons can never be heard ever. Guards/security being killed however can make noises that other guards can hear upon their death even if it's the same groan you've always heard. Acing Shinobi gives you a better chance for a silent kill. I do not have aced Shinobi and I've had a Hall C camera room guard hear me kill a guard in Hall E before because of where the camera room guard is placed physically.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

QuantumNinja posted:

As far as a few patches ago (not sure everything they reworked in the latest), bullets hitting things made noise. The problem in FF with shooting cameras is that if you hit any of the interior walls (the ones around the security room), a small sphere of sound is created where the bullet lands, and that sphere can be large enough that the guard hears it. So shooting cameras is fine, so long as you never do it where a stray bullet might hit those walls.

Is this right? I haven't in FF much since the stealth patch but I haven't experienced guards hearing gunshots where they land.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
Level 95 and still no shotgun silencer. The drops in this game are outright stupid.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dyz posted:

Still have found a laser for my primaries but I have like 3 pocket lasers.

Actually just got my third laser maybe a week ago. Got my first pocket laser maybe a month ago.

I won't even touch that lotto in case there is something more worthwhile to waste your offshore money on because good god is it a robbery. I can run low level jewelry stores with a single ECM instead of blowing $31 million base for the same drop.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
Fishbulb is referring more to the fact that no other heist in this game has any sort of problem solving element like Big Oil does. Having only done Big Oil maybe four times myself I can't recall if Bain ever mentions to look around for information on finding the right engine. I don't even recall if mission details tell you to find that info either. It's a really oddball thing to have in this game when almost every other heist in the previous game and this game is about sawing or drilling something open.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
Private lobbies, how do those things work? :iiam:

Worst are the afk lobbies where the host is off taking a poo poo in a hotel five hours away and since they've just completed a heist, the game still thinks the host is running PROK FirestarterRats.

edit: Error Failed to Join Game

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

From what I recall once you get more than 2 of the same weapon mod they're no longer dropped for you.

Yep. It's a rough point when you're still kitting out your weapons because for every mod that you use, you now have to stock on it again until you hit 2x per. It's the reason people just run low difficulty jewelery and diamond. Max out all those weapon mods and then all you'll receive are patterns, masks, and something like $2,000 cash drops.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
I guess the idea of making it believable that they didn't cheat flew right out the window.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's less about how much he's getting done and more about how broken the armor and dodge system in this game is. Also if that is your mastermind doing all that dodging while running around to cover so he can inspire pickup you, he's getting a lot more done than you can on the floor crying in your tank armor.

And yes the whole thing with dodge is that it has a chance to go off but as shown here, that chance is an awful lot better than no chance in heavy armor.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
Tried it out briefly on a hard jewelery store heist. Either I've had some really bad rolls on dominating a guard, cop, or swat or yes it is confirmed that being able to dominate more than one guard again was removed.

edit: Don't forget that the developer's idea of a challenge is a two hour drill on the hardest difficulty on Payday 1. Yes it got knocked down to 30 minutes or something after they stopped giving out Payday 2 beta access spots but when they originally released it they felt that two hours as an acceptable thing.

Edit2: To further elaborate on this, the secret had a bunch of red herrings planted by devs themselves so people spent a poo poo ton of time looking up useless information in regards to the secret. Much like people are doing for Payday 2 right now with no idea if the secret is even in! Your entire team had to be the max level of 145 and all wearing a specific mask. You also had to leave, I believe, all cameras up which is counter-intuitive to the mechanics they teach you. Then you all have to stand in specific spots to unlock another area that had the two hour drill. After the two hour drill there was a specific pattern of tiles you have to step on to open the vault and if you step on the wrong ones, you died.

I contend that is world-class dumb :colbert:
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

averox fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 15, 2013

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

Trip mine nerfs?

I dunno man. I pub it up often enough in this game and I don't see many non-C4 having pubs bringing along 2 trip mines. They will bring 6x mines/C4 or ammo/medic bags. It's like they're solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Also, yes the saw for any of these armored heists seems like an absolute trap. Hell I've even specced out of the saw. It's just not worth the 4 points for the few times you can use it.

My magical experiences doing the new heists: First one I did Crossroads, which was the first time I did any of the armored transport heists, it was with a goon and two pubs on I believe OK. The level 37 went into custody in about no time. The level 64 or whatever spent 3/4ths of the heist hiding in an alley begging us to leave already since he was out of ammo. The guy was afraid to even step out in the middle of the assault to ammo up in the convenience store. Me and the other goon were trying to get more bags and were being pillars for the terrible pubs. I don't even think we cleared out two trucks. The other three armored heists I did with all goons went really smooth. The Underpass one with the fog was really easy for some reason. I'm not sure if it was VH or OK but it was not very challenging that time. At least not compared to Crossroads.

The annoying thing is they keep loving with Overkill's difficulty just like Tripwire did with the top difficulty for Killing Floor. They're catering to an absurd niche clientbase who can breeze through levels. Eventually Killing Floor added a super-duper hard difficulty for the weirdos, which is something that Overkill should do with Overkill 145+ already.

Sadly I feel this is absolutely what they're doing. It worked for them before with the first game especially if you read about the overdrill/secret thing in my previous post. The difference is that the community for this game is much larger and I think less of the player base will be sticking around for a game that either becomes a breeze on very hard to stupid tough on Overkill. Much in the same vein of Killing Floor.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
So, things that make the game tougher are non-issues and you just gotta deal with it in an "our bad lol" way.

Things that make the game easier like the martial arts bug or the dominate +3 going in before it was supposed to? Holy gently caress guys better get a hotfix out. Don't want people to cruise through the game now.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gestalt Intellect posted:

edit: Um was that post about trip mines getting nerfed a joke? Because they're the only reason I can tolerate some of this and they don't feel overpowered at all. I don't like to complain about the stuff they change but that is just stupid and not needed if true.

I very much doubt it is. The thing we don't know is whether or not a specced out tech can still take them down in one mine. If not, it very much decreases the viability of trip mines. Which is likely the case since Overkill seems to be all about "UNF DEAL WITH IT".

Devian666 posted:

Been playing for the past couple of days. I'm pretty bad most of the time and I managed to mess up the escape on a pro job because I didn't know the map. Is there anything I can learn from to be less bad at this game?

Follow the other players? Or additionally go into the Payday 2 Goons steam chat and try a group there. You'll start to learn where good spots are to hide on escape maps aside from Garage Escape which is just beating the clock. Since you're newer at the game I doubt you have particular skills like fast hands and transporter. The 8 point investment into these two skills make a tremendous difference when you're trying to move any number of bags. With Transporter aced and aside from heavy bags like gold or guns it's actually quicker to throw the bag, run, and pick up back up.

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

So I really want to get back into this game but the poo poo awful loot drop system discourages me from even trying--level 60 something and still zero non-acog weapon sights--and apparently now the game is also unbalanced as hell? I quit when they cut payouts by like 90% and called it a "bug."

Have they really continued down the path of making the game stupid and not fun with overpowered enemies and underpowered weapons? Also does that "lua fairy" thing still work or will I get banned?

Lua still works. I doubt they will ban you for it. Not that I've paid attention to their discussion boards but I haven't heard of anyone getting banned for it before. I completely understand your complaint because after having probably 110 hours in the game and being level I think 97 or 98 I finally got a shotgun silencer. Still no shell rack for my Reinfeld.

If the last time you played was during the payout bug, then yes you will notice a marked difference. More specials spawn, snipers do ridiculous damage, they put in the broken first responder cops that knocked your armor off in one hit as a regular unit (white beat cop with big silver gun in hand), there are drum mag Saiga dozers, and shields give other units sort of a confidence boost so that they move in on you in a group. So a bulldozer who wouldn't come in and assault you before would with a shield around. I'm not sure if I missed any other big changes.

I wouldn't call it unbalanced but they seem to be going on the deep end of balance and gearing their game towards minmaxing poopsockers who probably have 500+ hours in this game.

It's quite lovely how reactionary Overkill is being with their balance. Pretty much every time people have found a new popular build, Overkill has nerfed it so that it isn't as viable. Except for ghosts since they're mostly passive skills and the ghost tree is criminally bad already.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I like a challenge but I also like having fun. The game did become a joke quickly as everyone got around level 30-40. The shotgun changes were what the game did need but don't forget that SMGs and rifles got a huge buff as well. The reason everyone went to the Mosconi is that the other three classes of weapons were just flat out weak and a huge design mistake on their part.

If by helldozer you mean the saiga dozers, depending on your build you can still go up and magdump if your threat is low enough. They're a welcome change that will come and ruin your poo poo. I do like the shield pushes as well because before all they used to do was sit outside and be the lone unit after an assault ended but now they have an actual purpose. Magnum/bronco cops I still feel are dumb and cheap. Why not go ahead and make them a ground unit mobile snipers that rapid fires because that's what they are?

Kitfox88 posted:

That's really my problem, yeah. They seem really focused on reducing the effectiveness of whatever the new flavor of the moment build is without really thinking about it.

That and the fact that the moment a beneficial player bug is found they'll hotfix the poo poo out of it but leave bugs affecting cops in for a week or more. It's really baffling and more than a bit irritating. :negative:

At the same time I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was their lovely method of collecting data and opinions from gamers on the presumable new OK145 mode or whatever. Bronco cops were definitely a mistake that this horrible Payday2 community loved so much that Overkill ran with it. But the mega increased spawns? Shield phalanxes? Crossroads the only time I did it on OK I had probably 2 or 3 snipers trying to lock on me.

This stuff even boils down to achievements. I'm not an achievement hunter but I do like getting them if possible. All of the new achievements are grade A grindfests. They're designed for particular group of fans who feel the need to grind out and get a mask and then to get the achievement that is associated with it.

The design changes are likely going to change what is a pretty fun game into a turd because they're listening to a hardcore minority as opposed to a fun having majority. See: Dungeon Defenders or Killing Floor

averox fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 17, 2013

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yes. They're supposed to do that by making every option "optimal," i.e. buffing everything until it's good enough that it's worth taking. Instead, they're just nerfing everything good in order to make the game artificially harder and less fun.

Thank you. These are the exact words I'm looking for to describe what Overkill seem to be doing with their game.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fil5000 posted:

Truth. Pubs are horrible at communicating what they want to do or educating people - play with people you know or play with goons and while you'll screw up, you'll at least learn what you did wrong and not do it again.

That and most pubs in this game have only leveled up by running Rats and Jewelery Store/Tiara. They basically have poo poo for knowledge outside of these maps and very poor knowledge of AI tactics.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just specced into a masterghost with drill skills. Simply amazing at how fast I can run in a ballistic vest and then when my shield drops and I'm getting shot a billion times there is no health loss because of dodge. This is something else considering I've been a clunky rear end Enforcer since release.

And yeah good loving pubs learn how to set lobby permissions.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

squeakyneb posted:

What happened to that "rescue and escort prisoner" stuff? That was fun.

The idea behind the game changed a lot and became focused on moving bags to your van. I know this is generalizing a lot but the gist of the game really has become waiting for a drill while you shoot mans and moving bags to your van. This time around there are a lot more mechanics and stealth is an actual thing you can pull off. I do like the game, don't get me wrong. It's just a step forward and a step back in design. Not to mention the pandering they are doing to cater to minmaxing sperglords.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sockerbagarn posted:

I'd be ok with adding escort quests if they allowed you to knock them unconscious and bag them. Yelling at some stupid AI to move his rear end towards the objective got a bit old.

The Chinese prisoner and the suitcase guy weren't that bad. I think there was some sort of suppression mechanic on the escort that made them stop moving during a heavy assault because there'd be times where he just would not move.

The loving diamond heist dude was bs though and you were having to escort him around zero cover with swat dudes everywhere. Add lack of cover to the lock on swat shooting and it's a formula for death. And this is after blowing the stealthy part and having to reset tablets every two seconds because of "divide by zero" hacking errors. Chains is on to something because seriously, who the gently caress sold you these things.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Cadaver ‏@Cadaver18
@locust9 we gonna get patch notes for this update?

David Goldfarb ‏@locust9
@Cadaver18 nope, need to compile them.

Sigh.

Shouldn't compiling patch notes be one of the first things you do in pushing out a patch? So everybody is on the same page regardless of what the hell you do in development or something? I mean, I have no idea so I'm asking. It's strange to me that you can publish a patch but have no finalized notes about what you've changed.

Roumba posted:

Uh are the police supposed to be able to speed-snake their way down from the roof in Framing Frame Day 3 using the bag shortcut? Because if the server room is right next to it... let's just say it is some incredible teleporty bullshit.

Know where that bag chute is down there? There are elevators right by it. I've been downed by that loving monster closet so many times because there will be like four or five dudes that come through that in one opening. I've even seen a tan get dominated inside there as well... He was the one we had to trade to get our teammate back from custody but you can enter the elevator space :haw:

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Great Beer posted:

If its anything like projects I've worked on, chances are the list of changes are scattered about in about 20 different emails from various people and goldfarb is feeling :effort: about digging through his inbox for an hour.

Make patch notes? But we've just released an update you should've grateful!

HellCopter posted:

No, you see, the patch notes haven't been properly obfuscated yet.

To be fair they've had that same snarky attitude with patch note details since Payday 1.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vatek posted:

So uh...

The suit now maxes out at 24 dodge.

But the ICTV has 170 armor.

wat.

So Overkill shitted all over dodge just because they couldn't figure out how to balance dodge vs armor? Neat. Admittedly a guy in a suit should not be able to survive getting shot at more than a guy in ballistics armor. This all stems from them being unable to balance ictv properly. Even when they aren't god tier, you're still feeling the wrath of enforcers. I blame all of you non-enforcers.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
They're doing the cater to minmaxing sperge lords thing. Difficulty through mediocrity because a small group of players find the game not difficult enough.

I really hope it is some mistake but I get the feeling Overkill can't let a good thing pass. They have been known to swing too far with their nerds before and I'm going to guess you may get something back. Something to say "hey you can still dodge but just enough to peak your head out".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

mischief posted:

14 gigs free on the SSD I use for Steam and I can't patch a 800 meg download. loving annoying.

It's because of how this game patches files. I believe you essentially need double the space to patch the game because it needs to unpack the archives, put the updated files in place, then repack them. Probably why everyone's download just stops as well for seemingly no reason.

• Locked thread