Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
I think what makes this hardest for me to rank are the non-epicy matches that I really like. I love that Araya tag and the Gedo/Tanaka tag from 200. But one is a good underdog story with a lot of stiffness and one is basically a Japanese southern tag match in front of like 200 people; it's hard to compare that with say a Misawa epic match. I need to really think about some of these rankings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I find that taking notes on a match helps. Sometimes an 'epic' has an exciting second half, but the first half is weak. It can be easy to get caught up in the big drama at the end and forget that they mailed it in for 15 minutes. Whereas the best "small" tags are much more consistent throughout and still bring the excitement at the end. A lot of the biggest epics do not hold up on a second viewing, while tags don't rely on one or two big moments and thus are fine with repeated viewings. I often have those sorts of matches in my top 5 for a year.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i don't have the patience for epics and all my favourite matches are shortish tag sprints.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Tamura vs Kohsaka, U-Style February 4th 2004

Background: Two of the best shoot-style workers of the '90s were eventually forced to do shoots, with some interesting results. U-Style was a worked promotion started in 2003 so that Tamura could return to worked bouts.

Why I think it's underrated: Shoot-style in general isn't as popular as other styles, for reasons that probably don't need explaining. Tamura and Kohsaka go at it with such speed and fluidity that I think most people will be able to appreciate this.

What it deserves: Top 100, and top 50 consideration for shoot-style fans.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Hashimoto & Nagata vs Misawa & Akiyama, Zero-One March 2nd, 2001 has only sound without video for me when I download it and I have the latest codec pack. What's up with that?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
If it doesn't work on VLC, it should work on Media Player Classic.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Ditch posted:

If it doesn't work on VLC, it should work on Media Player Classic.

I tried both MPCHC and WMP. Skipping it for now then. :shrug:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
They're both free and VLC is kinda must-have IMO.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
Taikaiwa/Marufuji is so dumb; it's great. It's good enough to let you know what you're getting into with the first spot.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Tonfa posted:

I tried both MPCHC and WMP. Skipping it for now then. :shrug:
This means you don't have the video codec for that file installed. The neat thing about VLC is that it has most common codecs integrated into the program, which is why it's the first thing people suggest for 99% of all "I can't play this file, what's up with that?" questions. It usually works.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
All the NOAH vs NJ junior tags are so fun.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Willninho posted:

All the NOAH vs NJ junior tags are so fun.
It's such a different dynamic than a lot of heavyweight interpromotional matches that are based on being vaguely shooty and uncooperative, whereas the juniors mix in athletic action and a certain amount of hate/intensity.

It's also a great demonstration of Liger's versatility.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

EDIT: how'd i get in this thread?!

freud mayweather fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 29, 2014

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

freud mayweather posted:

EDIT: how'd i get in this thread?!

The allure of STRONG STYLE SPIRIT was too much for you

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Tenryu vs Tenzan, New Japan February 15th 2004

Background: An impromptu final in a one-night title tournament. Tenzan gave Nagata a legit KO with a moonsault in the second round, which messed up the plan. Tenzan was already busted up in his first round match with Sasaki, while Tenryu has taken almost no punishment thusfar.

Why I think it's underrated: This is a big show main event but isn't worked in an "epic" style, so it wasn't going to attract MOTYC attention when considered alongside what was happening in NOAH. Yet it's just the sort of second-tier bout that deserves attention in a vote like this. They do a great job of mixing things up in their strike exchanges. Tenryu chipping at a wounded Tenzan is a great use of the lumpy old man, and the finish is quite satisfying considering the length of the match. All the more impressive in the context of Tenzan having wrestled two physical matches already.

What it deserves: Top 100. I think a similarly worked match in WWE would be raved over.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
3 links updated in the file.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Tamura vs Ito, U-Style August 18th 2004

Background: Semi-final in a tournament to crown the promotion's champion. As it turned out there was never a title defense, because the promotion essentially shut down at the end of the year. Thankfully their abortive championship produced this gem. Ito is a massive underdog, lacking the experience and crisp execution of the promotion's ace.

Why I think it's underrated: Tamura/Kohsaka was somewhat overlooked at the time, and this was even less prominent initially. While it doesn't match the smoothness of the February submission-fest, it does have a solid story and much more drama in the final minutes. Ito delivers quite the effort.

What it deserves: As with Tamura/Kohsaka, top 100 in general and top 50 if you're favorably inclined to the style.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
Here's my Top 11 as of most of 2002 completed:

1. Kawada & Fuchi vs Nagata & Iizuka, New Japan December 14th 2000
2. Misawa vs Akiyama, All Japan February 27th 2000
3. Sasaki vs Kawada, New Japan October 9th 2000
4. Kikuchi & Kanemaru vs Liger & Inoue, NOAH February 17th 2002
5. Kobashi vs Takayama, All Japan May 26th2000
6. Misawa & Kobashi vs Akiyama & Nagata, NOAH February 17th2002
7. Tenryu vs Kojima, All Japan July 17th2002
8. Liger & Tanaka vs Kikuchi & Kanemaru, New Japan August 29th 2002
9. Hashimoto & Nagata vs Misawa & Akiyama, Zero-One March 2nd2001
10. Nagata vs Takayama, New Japan May 2nd 2002
11. Takayama vs Sasaki, New Japan August 3rd 2002

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
2000 was pretty badass. There's a good 6-8 matches that could place in the top 25, and 4 are pretty much a lock.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
I watched Nagata/Iizuka vs Kawada/Fuchi for the first time last night and it was so good. I usually don't like that ending but I didn't mind the draw in that match. I now have to the urge to watch any and all Kawada matches. It's hard to watch him and not want to immediately watch more.

I'm starting Kobashi vs Akiyama from 2004 as I type this

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Wario Kart 64 posted:

I now have to the urge to watch any and all Kawada matches. It's hard to watch him and not want to immediately watch more.

It sounds really cliché, but Kawada is just incredible to watch because there's no wasted movement. Everything he does seems like he's planned it hours in advance.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Wario Kart 64 posted:

I watched Nagata/Iizuka vs Kawada/Fuchi for the first time last night and it was so good. I usually don't like that ending but I didn't mind the draw in that match. I now have to the urge to watch any and all Kawada matches. It's hard to watch him and not want to immediately watch more.

I'm starting Kobashi vs Akiyama from 2004 as I type this

Kawada and Kobashi are so awesome. So is Misawa. I actually think Nagata was pretty close to being on their level, but I just like Nagata a lot.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Wario Kart 64 posted:

If you want to watch any Kawada your best bet is checking out his work throughout the 90s. Start early and go on from there.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Kawada vs Taue, 1/15/91 is a good place to start. They had a borderline ***** match in the 95 Carny but this one stands alone perfectly.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

This isn't a 2000's question, but where should I start for a Misawa/Kobashi vs. Kawada/Taue tag match? Never actually seen one.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Thauros posted:

This isn't a 2000's question, but where should I start for a Misawa/Kobashi vs. Kawada/Taue tag match? Never actually seen one.

From the earliest you can find.

No matter what anybody says don't watch 6/9/95 first even if it is wrestling perfection.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The first match (6/1/93) is from the very first tour of the feud, so it's an excellent place to start.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Misawa & Ogawa vs Saito & Inoue, NOAH September 10th 2004

Background: Saito spent several years as Akiyama's right-hand man only to be cast out during the summer. He ended up forming a midcard stable named Dark Agents. He and Inoue earned this tag title shot by beating former champions Kobashi and Honda. That match was decent but did nothing to suggest what we'd get at Nippon Budokan.

Why I think it's underrated: It lacks the stiffness and bombs of, say, the Kobashi vs Taue match that followed it. Masao Inoue's athletic ability, execution, and moveset are not exactly impressive. Yet the story it tells of a life-long jobber trying to make good and beat the odds is very compelling. Things like layout, structure, timing and selling are what make this work. I've typically seen two reactions to it. Either people love it, or they're turned off by Inoue. I've seen more of the former than the latter, so this is well worth checking out.

What it deserves: Top 50. Misawa, Ogawa and Saito all play their roles very well while giving the spotlight to Inoue's career performance.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Jado & Gedo vs Kanemoto & Wataru Inoue, New Japan March 4th 2005

Background: Wataru Inoue, who struggled to progress from the 'young lion' phase of his career without becoming a jobber, is given an opportunity to go for the junior tag titles in the main event at Korakuen Hall. This is a rematch from the previous July, when Jado and Gedo narrowly retained.

Why I think it's underrated: Jado and Gedo have this weird on/off switch with the quality of their wrestling. Either it's lazy choking and filler, or high-end Southern-style heel aggression. This features "good" Jado and Gedo. More importantly, this is given extra time because it's the main event, and they use that time to build a big-match structure. Kanemoto is effective as the Big Man On Campus, and Inoue is effective in the Ricky Morton role. Top it off with a hot crowd and you get something memorable.

What it deserves: Top 100, and maybe even top 50. I really think this is something any wrestling fan can appreciate, and with Inoue having retired this is almost certainly his best match in the New Japan ring.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
ProWrestlingOnly, a board that is a bit more serious and history-minded, is run by a really cool guy (Loss). He set up a subforum and discussion threads for each match on the project. I still encourage discussion here, but it's worth sharing: http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/forum/426-2000s/

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
By popular demand, I'm pushing the deadline back to December 31st. No excuses now!!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Yes I am glad you are doing that if only because I am way behind.

Thank you.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Who's the guy that walks out with Takayama for his 5/2/2002 match against Nagata? It seems like there's something of a pop of recognition of him, but I have no idea who it's supposed to be.

Also, thanks for extending the balloting time for this. I fell way behind and really appreciate it.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Rodney the Piper posted:

Who's the guy that walks out with Takayama for his 5/2/2002 match against Nagata? It seems like there's something of a pop of recognition of him, but I have no idea who it's supposed to be.

Kazuyuki Fujita. He and Takayama actually had an MMA fight against each other in Pride the year before.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Kazuyuki Fujita. He and Takayama actually had an MMA fight against each other in Pride the year before.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
The two big Honda matches from 2003 are great. Crazy from a guy I've never thought much of before. The Kobashi match is probably a top 5 contender and the Tag against Akiyama and Saito probably top 15/20 for me.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Honda was so hot for a few months, but didn't do much of note after the tag really.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Not that I'm someone who plans on voting in this, but I just rewatched the April '05 Tenryu/Akiyama vs. Kobashi/Shiozaki match and it's even better than I remember. I remembered it as being the Tenryu show, which it kind of was, but everyone did great stuff in it. I hadn't thought of Akiyama as really nailing his heel act until the last 3 years or so, but nah he's right there abusing Shiozaki like he should be. Right up there with the best of 2005 (KENTA vs. SUWA, Sasaki/Nakajimi vs. Kobashi/Shiozaki, and that year's Ikeda vs. Ishikawa being the others that come to mind). Go watch it now if you haven't yet.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Updated the spreadsheet to fix a link and upgrade the 8/28/08 DG tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm sure this wouldn't count as the "best" puro of the last decade, but Dave Meltzer mentioned Chyna beating Tanahashi 12 years ago on today's podcast.

Is this up anywhere? Didn't see it on a cursory search.

• Locked thread