Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Watching Kanemoto/AKIRA from '03 (which owns so far) and would love to know who the genius was that greenlit Tanaka as Heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Tanaka sorta stagnated around 2002, and they somehow thought that putting a mask on an established shoot-style fighter would get him over. I vividly recall how much NOBODY thought it was a good idea, and he pretty much fell in a pit until 2005.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Not only did he regress horribly but worst of all was he no longer came out to B'z.

E: Also a future WM headliner at ringside in this match. :v:

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 23, 2014

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Gonna rewatch most of the '03 G1 today and am looking forward to it as I remember it being excellent ('04 as well.)

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
If anything beats Takayama/Kobashi as my number 1 I'll be shocked and I'm not even halfway done yet. It was an amazing match and that finish is just perfect.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

That's gonna rank drat high for me as well (so is the tag title match from the same show.) Hard to believe that was over a decade ago, not to mention how awful NJ was and how much of a roll NOAH was on and how the roles have reversed today.

Also watched Nagata/Murakami yesterday. I did not remember that match being so entertaining. HOSHINO~ getting all up in Nagata's poo poo ruled.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 1, 2014

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
Anyone who likes the Shibata sprints from the last couple years should watch the Kawada/Shibata match from 2004. It feels like an early version of the match and it has Kawada.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Watching some of the Yoshinari Ogawa matches on the set, and it hit me that one guy who could benefit a ton from watching him is Miz.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
Rikio/Morishima vs KentaFuji might be the greatest spotfest of all time. So great. Morishima had like 5 different times where I just yelled at the screen.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I love that match.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

That is a god-drat great match. It's just "Let's see how much of our poo poo we can get in", but it still works.

Morishima is hugely missed from anywhere with much coverage.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
I might not be able to get my top 20 in before the deadline, but I'll definitely check this out.

And Mori is just sad now in NOAH. He used to be so good but now...

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
It's a top 50 minimum.

Debating whether to extend the deadline. Thoughts?

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
I won't finish as of now but I'm in mid 2007 so who knows how long I will actually take to finish. Plus I imagine my ballot will be super standard so I don't know if I will change a lot.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
There's no such thing as "super-standard" given the number of places I've gone to for voters.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
Oh man everything in NOAH in 2008 is so Long but mostly good. One more year to go!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I've been holding off on tabulating results. Right now it's only at 10 people so another would be welcome. Think you could finish in a couple weeks?

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
I think I'll be done by presidents day the 16th if you want to set that as a deadline for me.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Works for me!

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
Sent this in today. My top 15:

Kobashi v Takayama 4/04
Kawada/Fuchi v Nagata/Iizuka 12/00
Misawa v Akiyama 2/00
Kobashi v Honda 4/03
BattlArts 6 Man 7/08
Sasaki v Kawada 10/00
Akiyama/Saito v Honda/Kobashi 6/03
Akiyama/Tenryu v Kobashi/Go 4/05
Kikuchi/Kanemura v Liger/Inoue 2/02
KENTA v SUWA 9/05
Kobashi v Takayama 5/00
Tamura v Koshaka 4/04
KentaFuji v Rikio/Morishima 7/06
Takayama v Sasaki 8/04
Kenta/Ishimori v Marufuji/Ibushi 7/07

All of these are pretty good. You should watch if you're into semi old puro.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Got it, thanks!! Will get to tabulating over the long weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Ha, just caught up on this thread, and that first Toryumon 9-man trios match on the first page was one of my favorite all time matches like 10-12 years ago. It's so much fun. That match and a CIMA/Magnum TOKYO match from the same era were what made me love Toryumon and eventually DG.

On early Youtube I think I was the only user who uploaded a video of that match, then eventually it got nailed for copyright a few years later. I haven't seen it since, so I'll have to go back and watch it again.

• Locked thread