Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity

bog savant fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Nutsngum posted:

Reading up on RL Stine amazed me just how incredibly prolific he was. Between Goosebumps, the choose your own adventure goosebumps, Fear Street and etc.. he was probably pumping out an entire book in about a week.

I assumed growing up that most of the books would have been written by other authors and published under his name but nope, wrote every single loving word. The man must be worth a trillion dollars.

Ghostwriters. :ssh:

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Nutsngum posted:

Reading up on RL Stine amazed me just how incredibly prolific he was. Between Goosebumps, the choose your own adventure goosebumps, Fear Street and etc.. he was probably pumping out an entire book in about a week.

I assumed growing up that most of the books would have been written by other authors and published under his name but nope, wrote every single loving word. The man must be worth a trillion dollars.

Yeah, I read up on him before deciding to start this thread, and it was like he turned himself into a mini factory, just churning those things out. Some of the much later ones were ghostwritten, but still, must have put in some very long days when writing those.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

I owned this book as a kid, and it was completely awful. I liked most of RL Stine's stuff at the time, but this was garbage of epic proportions. This version would have been better in every meaningful way.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Oldstench posted:

Can someone please explain the joke?

Spoiler tagged as this is about the show "The Wire" and I don't want to give anything away to those who haven't seen it.

The guy on the cover is "Bubbles", a character from the HBO show "The Wire." He was a homeless heroin addict who was living with his sister and she threw him out because he was stealing her stuff and selling it for money. Later in the series, she lets him back into her house and he is allowed to sleep there, but he has to stay locked in the basement and can only enter the house through the basement door, and must leave the house during daylight hours. At the very end of the series she finally lets him upstairs to have dinner with her.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Ghostwriters. :ssh:

There doesnt seem to be any evidence of this as far as I can tell.

Its certainly very possible but the only things google can provide are basically either people speculating and stating it as fact, or people just speculating.

Im also not sure about publication credits. I thought that the real writers had to be credited somewhere, although not necessarily on the front cover.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Nutsngum posted:

My 5th grade class had a lady who was an author (can't remember her name, sorry) speak to us about her process and stuff. When she was doing Q/A at the end some kid asked her if she knew R.L. Stein. She told us that "R.L. Stine" was just a pen name that a group of three women who actually wrote Goosebumps used. I dunno if it is actually true or not. Maybe she just got tired of answering questions about Goosebumps and made up a dumb story. It would explain how Stein pushed so many books out I guess.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Nutsngum posted:

There doesnt seem to be any evidence of this as far as I can tell.

It's a joke, you humorless dummy.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

zenintrude posted:

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

zenintrude posted:

Hey man, Goosebumps is serious business.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Wait are they watching the hard way or are we supposed to be learning the hard way?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Gravel Gravy posted:

Wait are they watching the hard way or are we supposed to be learning the hard way?

"Goddammit stop stepping on my foot you rear end in a top hat- I know this kid's locker is cramped but come on man. Why did we have to do this the hard way?"

Randomosity
Sep 21, 2003
My stalker WAS watching me...
Hah! I work at BustedTees and we actually had a similar idea for a 'modernized' Goosebumps shirt a few months ago! One of our designers did a brand new digital painting for it:

(Shameless plug, but you can buy it here: http://www.bustedtees.com/goosebumps )

VVVV Selling, yes. Buying, not so much. :-/

Randomosity fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 15, 2013

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Randomosity posted:

Hah! I work at BustedTees and we actually had a similar idea for a 'modernized' Goosebumps shirt a few months ago! One of our designers did a brand new digital painting for it:

(Shameless plug, but you can buy it here: http://www.bustedtees.com/goosebumps )

Huh. Well now I know it's a good idea if people are selling shirts of it.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

Randomosity posted:

VVVV Selling, yes. Buying, not so much. :-/

I keep reading the screen as "Fox News Crohns". It's strangely appropriate somehow.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Something the length of A Goosebumps book a week? I can see it. Back in the old pulp days, you'd see that kind of output a lot, and I remember reading that the Applegates had to work their asses off to fulfill Scholastic's contractual demands for the Animorphs series.

I'm about ten years too old to have caught Goosebumps, but I wish we'd had that and Animorphs and the rest when I was a kid. They had to combine classroom orders at my school, because there weren't enough kids to make minimum orders separately.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bieeardo posted:

Something the length of A Goosebumps book a week? I can see it. Back in the old pulp days, you'd see that kind of output a lot, and I remember reading that the Applegates had to work their asses off to fulfill Scholastic's contractual demands for the Animorphs series.

Every Animorphs book between the multi-parter about the aliens trying to kill the president and the final few books were ghostwritten.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
poo poo, another Goosebumps thread. Pretty much the only case of buyer's remorse I've ever had came after the last Goosebumps thread, when I sort of lamented selling off all my old books and decided a good idea would be to buy the entire collection off ebay. Took one look through the box when it arrived, pretty much went 'yup, sure is Goosebumps' then never looked at them again :(

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
That must have been some thread to make you want a Goosebumps collection of all things.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
I asked my parents to buy me the books every time we were out, but I never read a single one of them; I just thought the covers looked neat. It's a shame the whole Goosebumps craze came and went by the time I really had the capacity to properly read and comprehend things. By that point it was all about Harry Potter, and 8 year old me could not abide the thought of reading a 200+ page book when there was a perfectly good N64 in the house. The book bug never had a chance to bite :(

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Too soon?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Bieeardo posted:

Animorphs

This being posted in this thread reminded me of an image that always brings a smile to my face:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Manfrompoot posted:

I asked my parents to buy me the books every time we were out, but I never read a single one of them; I just thought the covers looked neat. It's a shame the whole Goosebumps craze came and went by the time I really had the capacity to properly read and comprehend things. By that point it was all about Harry Potter, and 8 year old me could not abide the thought of reading a 200+ page book when there was a perfectly good N64 in the house. The book bug never had a chance to bite :(

I was in the core demographic for Goosebumps, and for the most part thought they were the poo poo up through probably 5th Grade. I was a voracious reader as a kid, though, so I was also busting my way through Michael Crichton and whatever random fantasy novels I could find at the school library. Once I was allowed to ride my bike wherever I wanted, I mostly went to the real library and got in DEEP to Stephen King in like middle school :psyduck:
I also did the Harry Potter thing as a teenager because I was a big nerd at that time, still.

Now I have a full time job, and a girlfriend who gets mad at me if I spend too much time not paying attention to her, so reading is hard. I have this heinous ongoing back log of books I want to read.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

deadly_pudding posted:

Now I have a full time job, and a girlfriend who gets mad at me if I spend too much time not paying attention to her, so reading is hard. I have this heinous ongoing back log of books I want to read.

A woman who doesn't like a partner who reads is not a woman worth having.

I was always scared shitless by the Goosebumps books so never for into them really.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

deadly_pudding posted:

a girlfriend who gets mad at me if I spend too much time not paying attention to her

E/N is thataway.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

deadly_pudding posted:

Witness Mr. Henry Bemis, a charter member in the fraternity of dreamers. A bookish little man whose passion is the printed page but who is conspired against by a bank president and a wife and a world full of tongue-cluckers and the unrelenting hands of a clock. But in just a moment, Mr. Bemis will enter a world without bank presidents or wives or clocks or anything else. He'll have a world all to himself - without anyone.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Snoggle posted:

Witness Mr. Henry Bemis, a charter member in the fraternity of dreamers. A bookish little man whose passion is the printed page but who is conspired against by a bank president and a wife and a world full of tongue-cluckers and the unrelenting hands of a clock. But in just a moment, Mr. Bemis will enter a world without bank presidents or wives or clocks or anything else. He'll have a world all to himself - without anyone.

Now make the Goosebumps cover.

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope
The cuckoo clock of doom could sufice as a Henry Bemis vehicle

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

juicecube posted:

The cuckoo clock of doom could sufice as a Henry Bemis vehicle

Even as a kid, I found the whole part where the protagonist knocks the year his little brother was born off the clock and erases him from ever having existed to be pretty hosed up.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Snoggle posted:

It's me. I was the monster, all along. :smith:

With bonus Fear Street content.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Necros posted:

My 5th grade class had a lady who was an author (can't remember her name, sorry) speak to us about her process and stuff. When she was doing Q/A at the end some kid asked her if she knew R.L. Stein. She told us that "R.L. Stine" was just a pen name that a group of three women who actually wrote Goosebumps used. I dunno if it is actually true or not. Maybe she just got tired of answering questions about Goosebumps and made up a dumb story. It would explain how Stein pushed so many books out I guess.

If nothing else, there is a guy named R. L. Stine and he attends book conventions and teaches workshops and whatnot.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Pick posted:

If nothing else, there is a guy named R. L. Stine and he attends book conventions and teaches workshops and whatnot.

So I wiki'd him, and found there is a lota money in writing children's horror:

quote:

According to Forbes List of the 40 best-paid Entertainers of 1996-97, Stine placed 36th with an income of $41 million for the fiscal year.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Aw hell. I did something similar called "Weekend at the Anorexics Anonymous Company Picnic". I got a lot of these I did not too long ago. I'll post them later.

quote:

Even as a kid, I found the whole part where the protagonist knocks the year his little brother was born off the clock and erases him from ever having existed to be pretty hosed up.

Not to sound like a nerd who remembers when she read those books, but, it was his little sister, actually. In trying to fix the cuckoo clock at the antique store, despite that he's gone back in time to when he was a baby, Michael knocked off 1988 accidentally. When he was brought back to his normal time, he asks his parents where his sister was and they don't know what he's talking about. Later, the dad tells Michael that he found an interesting flaw in the cuckoo clock: the year 1988 is missing. Michael realizes that that's why his sister doesn't exist. In the end, he mulls over whether or not he'll go back and fix it so that way she does exist, but, given how she humiliated him during his birthday party, you can draw the conclusion that it's never going to happen.

Penny Paper fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 16, 2013

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Hometown Slime Queen fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 16, 2013

Polybious
Aug 13, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Not so much "Modern" as easy target.

Polybious fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 16, 2013

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012
It's me again, back and with content. Click to see in full:

And the last one isn't from Goosebumps, but it is from the series "Ghosts of Fear Street," which is pretty much the Fear Street series for kids (and most of them did read like Goosebumps stories that didn't make it):

And I had that "Mad Masturbator" one titled as "Insert Masturbation Joke Here," because, sometimes, it's just too easy...:)

Penny Paper fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 16, 2013

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

deadly_pudding posted:

Snoggle posted:

The best laid plans of mice and men...and Deadly_Pudding...the small man in the glasses who wanted nothing but time. Deadly_pudding, now just a part of a smashed landscape, just a piece of the rubble, just a fragment of what man has deeded to himself. Mr. Deadly_Pudding...in the Twilight Zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

VendaGoat posted:

The best laid plans of mice and men...and Deadly_Pudding...the small man in the glasses who wanted nothing but time. Deadly_pudding, now just a part of a smashed landscape, just a piece of the rubble, just a fragment of what man has deeded to himself. Mr. Deadly_Pudding...in the Twilight Zone.

This would have gone south for me, anyway. I have no skill whatsoever in identifying edible plants in the wild, and everything is radioactive now. :colbert:

• Locked thread