Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Out next week? Wow, really sneaked up on me there. Thought it wouldn't be out for a bit longer than that. Just this morning I was thinking I'd wait and see how it was before getting it. Now I'm about to preorder it.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

poptart_fairy posted:

What time does this unlock on Tuesday in GMT? For the US but in the EU time, I mean. I might have to take a, uh, emergency conference to unlock it. :ninja:

It unlocks at 8am UK time on Tuesday, by my calculation. I plan to come home at lunchtime, VPN it up and unlock it, then have it ready to play when I get home from work.

Incidentally, gently caress staged releases forever.

Cluncho McChunk fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 16, 2013

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Turning off HDR seems to have made SR2 run on my PC with slightly less slowdown (it still gets sluggish at times, but not as much as before), and now I can actually play this again.

I think I actually prefer how the game looks without HDR, it doesn't have that washed-out look to it. I also noticed the dynamic lighting is causing most of the slowdown because everything became silky smooth when I turned that off, but I'm keeping it on because the game obviously looks like poo poo without it.

Seems kinda backwards to have to use lower settings to get SR2 to be somewhat playable on a computer that is much better than the one I used to play it on. It's also crashing a lot more often than it used to. What a great port. :thumbsup:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Cleretic posted:

I also read it as a little more 'them against the director'. The boss might not have under normal circumstances, been especially fond of that actress. But the director is just that lovely that the Boss naturally gravitates toward her instead.

But wouldn't the Boss' normal response to someone acting lovely to someone they like be to kill/beat them senseless? He rarely ever voices an opinion with the director, and when he does he's usually ignored and he's completely ok with it. Even near the end when the director tries to kill him, he's still totally shocked and taken off guard when Jenny tries to kill him. That's not what SR2 Boss would do, SR2 Boss would have gotten his camera out and taken a nice picture right before Jenny divebombed into the director's face.

I guess the most disappointing part of Gangstas In Space is that there's no actual "Gangsta" stuff in it. I was kind of expecting more dissing aliens and hundreds of repeated instances of "Saints Row, Bitches!"

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Did 3 have the codes for characters you'd created or was it purely uploading them to the creation station thing? Kind of want to use that Red Skull boss that was in the dudes videos in 4 when I get it next Friday but seems like a bit of a hassle to put in all those values myself.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Trauma Tank posted:

It unlocks at 8am UK time on Tuesday, by my calculation.

Nice. My office is closed for a half-day on Tuesday. There's no way I could last till next Friday evening.

thebardyspoon posted:

Did 3 have the codes for characters you'd created or was it purely uploading them to the creation station thing? Kind of want to use that Red Skull boss that was in the dudes videos in 4 when I get it next Friday but seems like a bit of a hassle to put in all those values myself.

Try and see if you can find his account on Saintsrow.com. If he has flagged it as public then you can add the character to your own queue to use.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 16, 2013

Zigoot
Jan 30, 2008

Its too late your money is gay now

CharlestonJew posted:

But wouldn't the Boss' normal response to someone acting lovely to someone they like be to kill/beat them senseless? He rarely ever voices an opinion with the director, and when he does he's usually ignored and he's completely ok with it. Even near the end when the director tries to kill him, he's still totally shocked and taken off guard when Jenny tries to kill him. That's not what SR2 Boss would do, SR2 Boss would have gotten his camera out and taken a nice picture right before Jenny divebombed into the director's face.

I guess the most disappointing part of Gangstas In Space is that there's no actual "Gangsta" stuff in it. I was kind of expecting more dissing aliens and hundreds of repeated instances of "Saints Row, Bitches!"

Maybe in Saints Row 2 the boss would simply beat the director senseless. Having just finished the story in SR2 I noticed that the main difference between the younger, crazier Boss of that game and the older, more successful Boss of SR3 is ambition and/or a sense of perspective. In SR2, despite having the chance to get Ultor in your pocket, you opt for revenge and fly away to do "whatever you want". In SR3 the Boss clearly makes the opposite choice in Deckers.die. I don't think that's a failure of writing but an example of how the Boss has developed from street-level gangbanger to full-time supervillain. The Boss is still a terrible, terrible person in SR3 (except, of course to his/her friends), but seems to have a greater sense of perspective and broader goals, which sometimes override his/her desire to kill everyone he/she dislikes. In the DLC the Boss seems to be putting up with Zhen in order to make the movie and because he/she is weirdly fond of Jenny in a sort of evil mentor kind of way. Again I don't see this as bad writing so much as a weird personality quirk of the Boss.

That said the Boss's surprise and initial trepidation when Jenny dive bombs the aircraft was a weird writing decision, but I liked how quickly he/she jumped on board with the plan and seemed to enjoy zhen's death as much as Jenny did.

EDIT: also a new Dev Diary is out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovssw1mEY58

Zigoot fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 16, 2013

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Common Sensei posted:

Maybe in Saints Row 2 the boss would simply beat the director senseless. Having just finished the story in SR2 I noticed that the main difference between the younger, crazier Boss of that game and the older, more successful Boss of SR3 is ambition and/or a sense of perspective. In SR2, despite having the chance to get Ultor in your pocket, you opt for revenge and fly away to do "whatever you want". In SR3 the Boss clearly makes the opposite choice in Deckers.die. I don't think that's a failure of writing but an example of how the Boss has developed from street-level gangbanger to full-time supervillain. The Boss is still a terrible, terrible person in SR3 (except, of course to his/her friends), but seems to have a greater sense of perspective and broader goals, which sometimes override his/her desire to kill everyone he/she dislikes. In the DLC the Boss seems to be putting up with Zhen in order to make the movie and because he/she is weirdly fond of Jenny in a sort of evil mentor kind of way. Again I don't see this as bad writing so much as a weird personality quirk of the Boss.

That said the Boss's surprise and initial trepidation when Jenny dive bombs the aircraft was a weird writing decision, but I liked how quickly he/she jumped on board with the plan and seemed to enjoy zhen's death as much as Jenny did.

Well.

Kind of I guess?

The Boss in 2 is actually perfectly ok with making those choices. He was completely willing to sell out to Ultor ( "Why didn't you come to us?" ), and was willing to work with Maero. It wasn't until Ultor tried to have him/his friends killed, and Maero insulted him did he actually go in killing everyone. For all the talk of Stillwater being "my city", he was remarkably willing to share it, not just with Ultor/Maero, but also with low level pimps like Hemet, or dealers who slung outside the Saints.

He let Matt go because Matt wasn't a threat, and wouldn't become one. He was a punk kid who got mixed up in the wrong stuff, and had an inflated ego. Once the Boss beat the poo poo out of him, he had no reason to kill him.

People seem to have this really strange hardon for the Boss being a sociopath. Which is strange because he's never been presented as one in any of the games. He only killed Jessica for Carlos, killed Vogel for trying to kill his friends, killed Julius for betraying the gang, and killed Shogo for killing Aisha/hurting Johnny. The only other times he's been presented as being "brutal" at all are to Donnie right at the start of the Brotherhood arc ( and he didn't really hurt him, just roughed him up a bit. ), and the radioactive tattoo, which was a response to Maero's insult. Every other time, he either just did normal gang stuff, or tried to approach it the situation civilly.

The Boss is a normal person with video game powers. He cares about his friends, and if you gently caress with them, well, he's going to gently caress you right back, usually much harder. If you don't though, or are willing to work with the Saints? Well guess what, you suddenly learned the power of Saints Friendship, and are now a homie somehow.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

What I really want, more than any other mod, is the capability of making a custom radio without too much hassle, especially now that we have on foot radio.

Speaking of which, why the gently caress has it taken so long for someone to implement it in a sandbox game?

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 16, 2013

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

OH GOD REALITY IS CAVING IN :frogsiren:

As I said, I think SR2 looks a lot nicer without HDR:

Also, Fuzz is still the greatest thing ever and it's a crying shame they couldn't make it work in SRTT and IV.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

thebardyspoon posted:

There are no codes, no. If you're on PC, just run SR in a window, pause the video on the frame with the numbers, line one up next to the other, and you'll be done in about 5 minutes.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Also, Fuzz is still the greatest thing ever and it's a crying shame they couldn't make it work in SRTT and IV.

I've always said it was the best tutorial to Saints Row you could play. My dream is that some insane/genius modder manages to get something like it working once the SDK comes out.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Common Sensei posted:

The Boss is like this

Rookersh posted:

The Boss is like that
Do you guys realize you are arguing about the motivations of a character which is intentionally written to be vague, so that we can write our own feelings or interpretations onto the actions our character plays out? There is absolutely zero context for why the Boss lets Miller go free, why he deals with Zhen or Jenny in the way he does, or 90% of the other decisions of that nature.

:golfclap: Volition

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I always thought the reason the Boss changed from being a sociopath in SR2 to being a heroic jerkass in SR3 is because he/she wanted to clean up the Saints' images and the fact that according to Female 1, the boss has been seeing a therapist.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

I always thought the reason the Boss changed from being a sociopath in SR2 to being a heroic jerkass in SR3 is because he/she wanted to clean up the Saints' images and the fact that according to Female 1, the boss has been seeing a therapist.

I guess that didn't work too well. I'm pretty sure my boss has killed more people than Stalin.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

One and the Same posted:

I guess that didn't work too well. I'm pretty sure my boss has killed more people than Stalin.

According to the stats on saintsrow.com I'm closing in on 10,000 gang kills alone.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Dev Diary 4 is out, including conversations with Troy Baker, Laura Bailey, Terry Crews, and the one and only Daniel Dae Kim.

EDIT: Didn't see someone posted it further up. Watch that poo poo!

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Dialogue Spoilers from that dev Diary:

New Shaundi: 'The only thing you ever did was get kidnapped by your stoner ex. Oh, and hosed half of stillwater. Go team.'
Boss: 'I thought you were just really friendly and hated pants.'
Old Shaundi: 'Someone gets it!'

I couldn't be happier. :allears:

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
Are there any bonuses for importing SR3 character? Or is it basically just downloading the skin from their servers? I kind of want to create an entirely new boss but I'm a sucker for import bonuses.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

No bonuses (unless you count not having to buy whatever clothes you have on the import character a bonus).

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, it's not even really meant to be an import, really. More like the system they used for storing Bosses in SR3 also happens to work in SR4 so they just let you carry your Boss forward.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
That reminds me, did cutscene replay make it in?

I loved watching different bosses and voices in the cutscenes and only having to tap an in-house TV to do it. Same with mission replay.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

OH GOD REALITY IS CAVING IN :frogsiren:

As I said, I think SR2 looks a lot nicer without HDR:

Oh man, I had that same thing happen. Concrete textures not showing up, right? SR2 managed to police my play time amazingly well by doing that and crashing repeatedly after about an hour and a half to two hours of play. Here's the best example:

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Hotwire posted:

That reminds me, did cutscene replay make it in?

I loved watching different bosses and voices in the cutscenes and only having to tap an in-house TV to do it. Same with mission replay.

It's not in, but there's been some talk about IdolNinja trying to mod it in. Mission replay, at least.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Tried out SR2 on my laptop. As expected, the overall framerate is worse than on my desktop (the performance at 1280x800 and medium to high settings is pretty similar to the 360 version) but there is no random slowdown whatsoever so it's actually more playable than on the otherwise vastly superior desktop. :psypop:

--

Volition's starting their SRTT stream any minute now at http://www.twitch.tv/dsvolition

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Byers2142 posted:

It's not in, but there's been some talk about IdolNinja trying to mod it in. Mission replay, at least.

This would be loving great. The three things missing from SRTT that I really missed were mission replays, the poo truck, and fun Shaundi. At least two of those are down.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Unless I heard it wrong in the stream, it seems like preloading on Steam should be starting today!

Edit: Also, don't know if this is new or not, but Australian version owners will only be able to co-op with people who also have the censored title.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 16, 2013

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Saints Row 5 will apparently feature car-crushing.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

All good points, I think I mostly agree. I'm still not sure I'd describe the boss as a nice person. I mean, she kills a LOT of people. Some of them deserve it, but many of them are just cronies who work for the wrong people.

She is a pretty kickass friend though, that's true.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Any ideas where I can find the songs from Saints Row 2's The World & Ezzzy FM?

I just did the Ultor stronghold by driving like a maniac inside the mall in that cart with an intense, Requiem-like track from The World 105.0. :allears:

Now I need to listen to it!

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

At work I was joking with pals that I would flood the White House with poop from the wastewater treatment plant.

I have become the boss.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

VisAbsoluta posted:

Any ideas where I can find the songs from Saints Row 2's The World & Ezzzy FM?

I just did the Ultor stronghold by driving like a maniac inside the mall in that cart with an intense, Requiem-like track from The World 105.0. :allears:

Now I need to listen to it!

Pretty sure you can go to the one of the CD shops and look up the track. It tells you the artist/song and from there just goggle it on youtube. It's probably going to be there.
Playlist for Ezzy

Because I feel like being a nice guy, here's the playlist for Ezzy.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 16, 2013

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Bovineicide posted:

This would be loving great. The three things missing from SRTT that I really missed were mission replays, the poo truck, and fun Shaundi. At least two of those are down.

But Saints Row: The Third has mission replay. I just replayed Party Time! on my completed save yesterday.

[EDIT] It's been so long since I installed SR:TT, I don't even remember installing GoS. I really thought it was a core feature. Oh well, PC master race, and all that.

Clitch fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 16, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Gentlemen of Steelport doesn't work on consoles. :ssh:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Two questions about SR4's music and sound:

Do the radio stations still suck or do they have better music selection this go around? SR3's radio stations were terrible.

Did they fix the infinite gears the cars seemed to have when going full speed?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Starhawk64 posted:

Do the radio stations still suck or do they have better music selection this go around? SR3's radio stations were terrible.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/6/4593292/saints-row-4-track-list-revealed

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Pre-load is up, restart Steam if you don't see it!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Viridiant posted:

All good points, I think I mostly agree. I'm still not sure I'd describe the boss as a nice person. I mean, she kills a LOT of people. Some of them deserve it, but many of them are just cronies who work for the wrong people.

She is a pretty kickass friend though, that's true.

I wouldn't say the Boss is a good person either.

Just not a sociopath.

Amusingly enough, the key theme across all three games so far has been friendship/loyalty. Saints Row is basically the Pacific Rim of video games, in that all of the strength of the Saints is through how good of friends they are/how much they respect each other, not how manly/great/heroic the Boss is.

The Boss has never actually been presented as better then their crew. Kenzie and Oleg are better when it comes to tech, Pierce and Shaundi are better planners, Gat is considered to be on par if not better when it comes to murder. The Boss has always operated as the face of the Saints, but not it's key member in any regard. The only reason most of their plans work is because everybody is working together to pull it off.

This is also shown through cutscenes. While they make fun of Pierce once or twice, they do listen to him. Anybody can say anything to the Boss, and he'll let it slide. Gat calls him a pussy? Sure. Pierce or Shaundi have a plan? They can walk on up and tell him it, and he'll go off and work on it. Even the arguments between gangmembers are usually pretty laid back.

Compare this to the other gangs. How Price treated his nephew/Donnie. How Tanya/Warren turned on King. How the Lopez brothers destroyed their own gang. Even in to SR2 this stuff stayed around. Shogo and his father, the General/Sunshine and Veteran Child, or even Maero towards everyone but Jessica. And pretty much every scene with Killbane is an example of this. The only gang that managed to do anything worth a drat against the Saints was STAG, and it was only while Kia and Cyrus stayed on the same page. The second Kia left to go do her own thing was when the Saints finally managed to take them down.

The cutscene you get when you recruit Angel/Zimos/Kenzie is honestly probably the most "SR" cutscene in Saints Row. It's the Boss telling his friends to go check in with these new guys, and to treat them like Saints. Meanwhile in the background you see Killbane threatening Matt/Viola/Kiki, and treating them like pawns. The difference between the two "leaders" is pretty evident.

It's why I disagree with the sociopath status so much. Yes, the Boss is a brutal person, but they only really get into the dark stuff to people who hurt their friends. They just only ever operate at 11+ and you hosed with their friends.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 16, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Volition doesn't even make a case for me to actually buy it. The Inauguration Station gets stuck at a blank screen after the two intro videos, and it hasn't been fixed since it was released. I can't preorder/buy a game, if I'm very likely going to buy a lemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Combat Pretzel posted:

Volition doesn't even make a case for me to actually buy it. The Inauguration Station gets stuck at a blank screen after the two intro videos, and it hasn't been fixed since it was released. I can't preorder/buy a game, if I'm very likely going to buy a lemon.

Since this has happened to zero other people in this thread, then it's probably not a widespread problem. Have you tried to do anything to see why you're having the issue?

• Locked thread