Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Gasperkun posted:

In the case of Primeval Thule, they said that probably their biggest cost was art. "Our artists are pros, and we want to pay them like that" or something, seemed to be the tagline. I still think it was too high a cost.

That's no reason to charge $40 for a PDF. Art costs are fixed and upfront, so it should be covered by their funding goal. The more products you sell the cheaper the art gets per unit. They still could have reached their funding goal charging $10-20 for the PDFs and gotten a lot more people interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Myrmidongs posted:

I jumped into the "Slacker backer" for Primeval Thule they have on their website for paypal. I love the poo poo out of Robert E Howard, and Conan, and the idea of that sort of universe with a small dabbling of Great Old Ones was such an amazing idea to me (Howard admittedly did this himself to a small degree). I am exactly their audience. I still only backed it because I got some birthday money. Even then, with "free" money I got as a gift, I was hesitant about paying $60 for a kickstarter project from an unknown studio. It's just too much money. If it was $40 I wouldn't have even hesitated on it. Hell, even $50 is pricey, but I probably would have still paid it out of my own money. Thats for a physical copy. I understand they were selling the PDFs for all the systems at $40, but that is still absolutely ridiculous for a PDF. Either split it up, let me pay a little more per "unit" on a single PDF, or give us a discount per "unit" for purchasing PDFs for multiple game systems.

All that said, I'm excited to murder poo poo with my panther-like thews.

$60 is a bit high but not unreasonable for a physical book, I realize that at the relatively small runs that most indy RPGs are being printed the cost per unit is pretty high. I rarely buy physical books these days because I don't have the space to store them though, I was all set to buy a Primal Thule PDF until I saw that price.

Also I'm pretty sure at the beginning of the kickstarter they weren't offering all system PDFs for $40, they wanted $40 for each system, they changed it after the kickstarter was running.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

drat, that dice one is amazing. I want to base everything with that.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Just putting it out there again, I have 3 people currently interested in splitting a 10 pack of Basius pads, PM me if you want less than 5 pads and want to save a few dollars.

These things are really awesome, but I even at the group rate, I can't justify buying them. :(

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I desperately want a hybrid minis game that works. I hate having to flip through rulebooks and fumble around with lists of units to play a minis game. Is Golem Arcana that game? Maybe, but probably not. I think the tech side needs a bit more refinement before it's really going to work and I'm really afraid that the need to monetize such a game may be a tough hurdle to get past.

Jordan made Mage Knight and Hero Clicks, and his last minis game had some cool mechanics but was a pretty uninteresting IP. Maybe he can catch lightning in a bottle again with this game, but I won't know until it is available in retail.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Thanlis posted:

He also helped invent the alternate reality game and Shadowrun. On the other hand, Nanovor didn't go anywhere much and Pirates of the Spanish Main didn't wind up having legs. Still, I'm glad he's out there trying crazy stuff and I will keep sending him money to do so because mad genius woo.

Yeah, and even if this new minis project doesn't hit the bullseye, somebody out there has to keep throwing darts at the board, which nobody else seems interested in.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

TheFlyingNightBear posted:

Hi there! This is Caleb McEntire, from the Beyonder team. Please excuse me while I creep up on your thread. :-)

I totally hear your comments about pricing. We had to decide a while back what kind of product we wanted to sell -- whether to simply plop our world into a basic document and get it on gaming store shelves, or to frame it with beeautiful art and design. We chose the latter. We pay our artists very well, and that is reflected in the price both of the .pdfs, with their excellent layout and art, and in the hardcover copies, where we are showcasing their pieces with high-quality printing. We know that these are high price points for the RPG community, but we believe that there is a market for beautifully crafted books like ours.

That being said, take a look at our "later earlybird" reward tier, which offers both .pdfs for $40 -- almost half of the 40 available slots in this tier are left!

Please respond with more comments or questions; I'm very happy to answer them. And hey, thanks for looking at our world! Whether or not you back our Kickstarter, it's great to see our labor of love going out into the RPG community.

Hi Caleb, thanks for stopping by.
Obviously Beyonder is a labor of love for you and your family and you think very highly of it, but thinking that people will want to shell out $40+ for PDFs (or $125 for physical) of a game they've never heard of from a team that's never published anything before is unrealistic.

Unlike physical books the cost of goods for PDFs is zero, it's been shown time and time again that dropping your price on digital goods increases your sales by a disproportionate amount. You're better off selling 200 PDFs at 10$ then 100 at $20 because more customers means more exposure, more fans, more word of mouth, more future sales.

I'm guessing you went into this without a lot of research. Go look at the successful RPG kickstarters and see what they're offering, there are plenty of them that have great art and design, offer PDFs for $10-15 and blow through their funding goals many times over.

If you fail to meet your funding goal, I would suggest you go back, create a less ambitious project to start with something that you can offer for a reasonable price and with a low funding goal. Build a fanbase for your world, engage those fans, make them love your game as much as you do and then when you have enough people to support it create your high end dream product.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Al Baron posted:

Megaman Board Game

I don't understand kickstarters for licensed properties. Will companies license their IP to just any random fool who walks in the door? Don't they require potential licensors to show that they're actually capable of producing a product on their own before they'll make a deal?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Question that I'll happily move to the State of Tradgames thread if it's too off-topic for this one, but why wouldn't companies be happy to let anyone with the money pay for a license so long as they agree also to be bound by the terms of whatever license agreement exists, which in many (I would guess nearly all) cases likely have some sort of parent-company review/approval clause which means that if you produce something that the license-holder thinks could harm the brand they can go "no dice buddy"? I'm sure it has to be a more complex process than that, but I'm neither a person who holds valuable IP or tries making licensed stuff for sale so.

Well in my experience licenses are almost always exclusive for a product type. So if I license my IP to somebody to make boardgames, they're the only ones who can make board games for my IP. So licensing to somebody who can't make a product is tying up that license that could be out there making you money and expanding your brand.

I know that a lot of the big IP holders like Disney and Marvel will license anyone for just about any type of product (party hats and plates come to mind) but I always thought they at least made sure the company was capable of producing the product they made the deal for.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

There's a $40 "Gamer Pack" wtf game are you supposed to play with these? Wait... I don't really want to know.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

moths posted:

HOLY poo poo THIS GAME:

I believe that's one copy he's carrying.

Yeah, in a previous update they showed the guys in the factory packing those boxes with a single game.
I love Ogre, and I'm super happy it's coming but I have no idea where I'm going to put this thing.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Cheapass Games has a new Kickstarter for a Kill Doctor Lucky card game.

Get Lucky

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Proxy War customizable 3d-printed minis and a point-buy tabletop wargame to go with them.

I'm considering backing it just for some custom minis. Having done a fair amount of research into having custom minis printed the prices they're offering backers is pretty cheap, maybe too cheap.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

So I got home last night and there was a giant box on my doorstep with the name STEVE JACKSON GAMES on the side. I hauled it inside, I had to lay it flat for fear that it might tip over and crush me.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

moths posted:

I'm worried that I don't have a tracking number yet. Should I be?

I still don't have one either so I don't think you need to worry about it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I know it's not technically a TG but the thing that got me to pledge $100 for Shadowrun Returns was the personalized Docwagon ID card. So I'd say cool personalized items.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

How do you guys feel about RPG Kickstarters that offer the game re-written for other systems as stretch goals?

Iron Edda did this almost exclusively, and I'm wondering if it's really that appealing to people.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Pairs only has a couple days left. It uses a 55 card pyramid deck and looks like a lot of fun. They've raised a ton of money already, there's only one real stretch goal left, but I'd kinda like to see a video of James laughing all the way to the bank.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I imagine they invest a portion of their own personal funds (or in some cases government art or small business grants) into hiring freelance artists to make concept art and/or sculpts for them, which freelance artists will do readily because they need to eat, and a successful kickstarter could mean a contract for another dozen or more sculpts.

I don't personally know where one goes to find such artists, but presumably they advertise their services on places like Dakka or BGG?

I get the impression that a lot of them partner with an artist (or artists) who have already sculpted a line of minis. Then they write a game around the minis line (which is why the games tend to be bad).

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Germ posted:

So, I'm considering running a second Kickstarter (selling resin terrain for miniature wargames) this summer, and I've got a question about International shipping (I'm in the US). Is there any sane alternative out there? For ease of use and cost, flat-rate USPS Priority has been great to me in the past, but the international costs have gotten ridiculous. Something like $60 for a medium box. My sales won't be large enough to justify any kind of bulk shipping deal, but I'd like the one- or two-dozen international folks who would consider pledging to not have to face exorbitant shipping charges. What have other folks tried?

I don't know how it would work for terrain, but I read an article recently about a guy Kickstarting Board games, and he was able to ship affordably to Europe by going through Amazon, he shipped everything to Amazon in Germany and they shipped to individual buyers, he had to pay the bulk shipping charge overseas, and taxes on the wholesale value of the product (instead of retail), and then the domestic shipping to individuals. It ended up saving him a lot of money on shipping.

I'll see if I can track down the website I read it on.

e: Found it. How to Provide “Free” Shipping Worldwide on Kickstarter: A Comprehensive Guide

Bucnasti fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 28, 2014

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

No Underground?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Request

I am making a panel for a convention talking about successful crowdfunded games. I've contacted the guys behind Dragon's Hoard, Boss Monster, and Devastation of Indines already and I have their support. What other traditional games makers should I contact that had successful crowdfunding, especially for games where I can give a very brief (like 5 minutes) demo of some of the game? I'd especially like wild successes and ideas that publishers really would never have gotten behind. Complete games here also, not stuff for modeling, painting, or tabletop RPG set pieces.

James Ernest of Cheapass Games, he's had several successful kickstarters and they just did a wildly successful $300k kickstarter for a pub style card game called Pairs. He's entertaining as all hell and presents great demos.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

adhuin posted:

Spraying monocolor buildings is easy, but he seems to be first one to offer 2-color buildings.

Basically the blue-parts and white parts are from different sprues. Hopefully designing buildings for easy spraying like that catches on even in non-pre-painted buildings.

It's such a simple thing, I'm surprised nobody thought of it before.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Don't worry, he's only 30 minutes from his Lawyer and 90 minutes from the manufacturer. With a location like that, how could this possibly go wrong?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Ettin posted:

A guy asking Kickstarter for $87,500. :allears:

And apparently that 87k doesn't include paying for any of the photographs he's using, as he spends half the page trying to justify them being fair use.

"A Computer Savy Guy posted:

As a technical writer, amateur videographer and photographer, small business owner and a relatively computer-savvy guy, I have a 'good handle' on the technical expertise that a project like The Game of Politics demands.

"A Computer Savy Guy posted:

Thus, I am currently reviewing software that easily converts the images on the game board, trivia cards and game pieces into "caricature" type images.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

lordarach posted:

“Bob”ball! Awesomer edition - $25
A 2 player board game where you each try to save your mutant family and get them to the Pleasure Saucers before X-Day.

You're a little late, X-Day was 15 years ago.

lordarach posted:

I didn't come looking for a fight, but did anticipate that some would happen. If it didn't, I would question if I was even on the Internet.

Word 2003? Nah. We have '07 here. ;) "Bob"ball! is geared toward a specific audience with The Book of the SubGenius in mind. Clipart-style is the key to capturing the essence of "Bob", so we went with it. We've already expected that not everyone will get it. If everyone got it, we wouldn't give it.

Alright guys. I'll leave you to your forum. Take it easy, and enjoy the games you do play. The important thing is just to play. Get your buddies around the table, and have fun!

You seem to be confusing art that was possible on a budget in 1987, and acceptable art in 2014 when every high school kid has a pirated copy of Photoshop.
There's a difference between clipart-style and throwing crap all over your gameboard.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I could have sworn I saw these exact same models were up on a kickstarter a few months ago. AM I CRAZY?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

OtspIII posted:

I've got mixed feelings about Wayne Reynolds. He's a really good and talented artist specializing in everything I hate about a lot of modern commercial fantasy art. In all seriousness, though, he really is good enough that I still pretty much like him.

Although he is in no way a force for good in the war against making character designs dumb because cleavage and butts are mandatory in fantasy art.

I have to wonder how much is him and how much is the art direction he's given, I can't help but notice that his work on properties other than Pathfinder is a lot more dynamic and less cheesecakey.

I like most of his work, but his style is very distinct, and so closely tied with Pathfinder now that I couldn't imagine why you would hire him to do anything that wasn't supposed to look like Pathfinder.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Maybe one of the many pouches and bottles on her Lady Pirate Utility belt includes some Sexy Pirate Shark Repellent.

DigitalRaven posted:

It's got a terrible loving name for what it is, if nothing else. Just reading the description, it's not simpler than Risus, FU, PDQ, or WaRP. It's... an excuse for a lot of tactile bits. Lots of tactile bits can be fun — I remain convinced that it's the only reason anyone could ever play Deadlands with its original system — but these look almost like they're from one of those educational things, where you get lots of cards with abstract symbols that get used in some maths lesson when the teacher's off and nobody can be arsed finding a video to watch so you get that poo poo and told "it's about, err, probability, I guess?" (I spent three months as a supply teacher, I know how it works.)

Yeah Educational Game is exactly what I thought when I saw this.
Attaching something like this to a cool IP could make it a winner, but I have zero reason to buy into a completely generic RPG these days.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Costco sells these 6 foot tables for $70. They even sell them in 22 packs!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'd like to think the courts can determine the difference between an honest failure to deliver and outright fraud.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

This is convenient because the topic of Earlybird pledge levels just came up while planning my kickstarter.

Does anyone else have good or bad experiences with Early-bird pledges?

I have mixed feelings about them, on one hand they can help you get people on the fence to pledge to get in on a deal, but on the other hand it seems like most the people who pledge early (friends, family and existing fans) are going to pledge anyhow.

What we are considering is using an earlybird pledge level to drive people quickly to a specific pledge in order to quickly justify stretch goals that improve that level.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Let me lay out what we're considering for our pledges at the moment and people can give me their opinions.

The product is a Tabletop RPG, ~250 pages.

• $5 - Support pledge you get a thank you, a sticker and your name in the book.
  • $20 - Digital level - You get the core book and the first supplement as PDFs, plus any additional digital stretch goals.
  • $25 - The book level - you get a physical book, nothing else.
  • $50 - Physical level - You get the core book and the first supplement as physical copies (plus PDFs) and any additional digital or physical stretch goals.

• $100+ - Some retailer and angel level pledges

Stretch goals will include adventure PDFs, Custom Dice, maybe posters or other items related to the game.
Everything would be available as an add-on so if you really wanted just the book and a set of dice you can figure that out on your own.

I feel like this is very simple, limited number of options to choose from but still able to customize your choices if you really want to. It also encourages people to promote the KS so that their pledge level improves as stretch goals open up.

These are some of the things we've been considering:
A KS exclusive "limited edition" of the book for $50 backers that had a slightly different cover.
A $45 early bird version of the $50 level to get people to jump on that right away, when it doesn't have a lot of stretch goals added to it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Carteret posted:

Why no other stretch goals with the book level? Looking at this, the only real choices I see are the $20 one for value, and the $50 one for all the goodies. A question (that don't apply to me) but always comes up: How are you handling international shipping?

Yeah, I think most backers will just go for the $20 or $50 levels depending on if they want actual books or juts PDFs. We originally had like a dozen different backer levels with various extras gimmicks. I felt it was kinda confusing and needlessly complex so I cut it down to the bare minimum.

The $25 book level is for people who only want the physical book and don't care about the add-ons. We intend to sell the book for $30 retail after the KS so you'd be getting a discount.

US shipping is included in these prices, but for international shipping I'm not sure. My partner is the shipping expert (it's part of his day job). I know that he's exploring a number of different options.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

PST posted:

Have you already gotten printing quotes? $25 for a 256 page softback B&W sounds low. It's not crazy low (It's about the amount you'd get selling into distribution for a $40 RRP book but that's still cutting it pretty fine.

$30 including shipping as the retail price a 256 page book sounds like a ridiculously good deal, you're almost certainly underpricing the product here and aren't going to see a reasonable return.

Bieeardo posted:

Awesome, this is helpful. This is a good, basic structure.
Twenty bucks is my personal 'hesitate and scrutinize' point, but I'm a cheap bastard and it's not hard to swing me if you sell things well.
I agree with PST, $25 for a physical book definitely seems on the low side from a materials and production perspective, and especially so if domestic shipping is included.
Fifty bucks for at least two books, plus handy digital copies, is a steal. Most tabletop gamers will realize that, I imagine.
Angel levels and retailer incentives probably aren't reliable, but there's no harm in including them either.

I'd recommend against Kickstarter Edition covers, unless you've already asked your printer about doing half regular edition, half KS edition. They're a draw for me (I'm a vain, cheap bastard), but there always seems to be a contingent that doesn't like the KS cover, whatever it is.

On the shipping front, you may be doing yourself some unreasonable damage by including it in those pledge levels. I'm not sure how much it is for domestic US, but international book and parcel shipping is cringeworthily expensive. I know of at least one KS that's got part-way around this by sending DTRPG print-on-demand vouchers to domestic and European backers, since they have printing arrangements in the States and Germany.

I should have been more specific about the book, it's a digest sized soft-cover B&W book, so we're priced around the same as Apocalypse World or Dungeon World.
My buddy has some insider tricks for keeping shipping costs down, but even with that I don't think there's any way to avoid charging extra for international shipping.

We're also still making all the calculations and decisions so these things might have to change if we find the costs changing.

After discussing it, we've leaning heavily towards early birds not being worth the trouble.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Interestingly, not quite Ogre-sized.

Ogre was a great deal, I got a cool game AND a coffee table.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

It's Patreon not Kickstarter but still this seems pretty cool.

Nahual a Powered by the Apocalypse game about mythic Mexican angel hunters.

If it was a regular Kickstarter or Indiegogo I would back it, but I don't care for the Patreon format. Hopefully they'll be successful and I can just buy the book when it's complete.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Jon Joe posted:

I have some games that, if I got funding for them, could probably be released a lot quicker/with better quality. My problem is, the exact thing I want funding for (art & layout) is the thing that best attracts potential funders. Spitting out cool ideas only goes so far! Any advice on this?

If you can, get just enough art for the kickstarter, one good color piece and a couple of black and white will get you a long ways. You don't need to illustrate the entire game to get backers, you just need enough to get them excited and open their wallets.

It's going to be tough if you have zero budget. But even a small budget can get you something, as long as you're willing to compromise.

Also work on one KS at a time, use the success from one to bootstrap the next one.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Ok guys, I'm a week out from the Spirit of 77 kickstarter, and I could use some feedback.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monkeyfunstudios/528951018?token=09457270

Check it out and tell me if anything is confusing, missing or otherwise hosed up.

Our printer can drop ship books in the UK and Canada at a fairly reasonable price compared to everywhere else in the world and so I want to offer those regions reduced shipping, but at the same time I'm trying real hard to offer a minimum number of pledge levels to keep things from getting confusing. My final solution was to have three pledge levels for the basic book, one for US, one for UK/Canada and one for the rest of the world, does that make sense? is it explained sufficiently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

^^^^^ Yeah we have a main playlist on our webpage and we have individual playlists for all the adventures, down the road we will find some way to incorporate all the playlists into the webpage to you can easily find them when played. David is a musician and absolutely obsessed with 70's music, he incorporates it into all the games he runs really well.

8one6 posted:

Kick rear end kickstarter video, btw.

That's good to hear, I've been really afraid people other than my friends wouldn't get the joke. Being so close to it makes it hard for me to judge.

The second part, which we'll be putting out in the middle of the month is a lot of fun.

Goredema posted:

It looks good, but it is a little weird that there's a $20 level that gets you the PDF and all digital stretch goals, a $25 level that gets you the physical book and no stretch goals, and then a $50 level that gets you the physical book plus all stretch goals. I'd suggest dropping the all-digital pledge to $15 (or $17), and then have the $25 package include the physical book + all digital stretch goals. That way the people who want a hardcopy don't feel like they have to shell out $50 before they get to take advantage of any of the stretch goals.

On a thematic note, you should really change some of the pledge levels to end in sevens ($47 instead of $50, etc), and you should make the top pledge tier $2777.

The $20 level gets you two PDFs ($10 each) and digital stretch goals (we have at least two double adventures in the pipe). I fell like it's a great deal for anyone who just want's digital, either I'm wrong (because you're the second person to suggest a price drop) or I'm not communicating what's included there. Does anyone else have opinions on this?

The 25/30/40 dollar levels with no stretch goals are there because we can ship the books by themselves fairly cheap, I'll discuss adding digital stretch goals to these levels with my partner.

We considered ending all the pledges in 7 but it made a bit of a mess of our projections, and I feel like there's a psychological effect of nice round numbers that make it easier for people to quickly make decisions.

Leperflesh posted:

General note: I think you should name your expansion instead of calling it The Expansion. What if you decide to make another expansion in the future... will it be called The Other Expansion? There are places throughout the KS page where just calling it the expansion is a bit awkward.

Yeah the expansion is going to have a name, we just haven't settled on it yet, and we have at least one more full expansion planned down the road.

Leperflesh posted:

Unsolicited Copyediting I hope this is not out of line.

Not at all, thank you. I'll check these out.

Bucnasti fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 27, 2014

• Locked thread