Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
finn never scored

it seems more likely that they are (mostly) descendants of dogs and rainicorns who buried the hatchet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Finn Had Sex With Lumpy Space Princess

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
Finn had questionable regret sex with Lumpy Space Princess AND caught a communicable disease from her (not from the sex tho).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Finn and Huntress Princess.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Finn's first girlfriend was literally made of fire. I don't even know where to get started with the intimacy issues he probably has.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Relin posted:

finn never scored

it seems more likely that they are (mostly) descendants of dogs and rainicorns who buried the hatchet

They are definitely all the descendants of one dog and one rainicorn.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Here's something SUPER weird. You dicks.

I just watched Blood Under The Skin on UK Netflix, and... it's loving censored. They literally cut out the whole section of Drop Ball and the ghost and Finn trying to pick up the ball with his rear end. They just mention Drop Ball, then cut to Finn getting the armor. It's weird. Like out of everything to censor from AT, that's what you pick? Also, that the gently caress Netflix? Censoring a kids' TV show? You loving cunts

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Finn's first girlfriend was literally made of fire. I don't even know where to get started with the intimacy issues he probably has.

It says less about his intimacy issues and more about his masochistic streak.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Afaik Australia censored the lumpy people in ep 1 saying brah because it sounded too much like.............. Bra

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Comprehensive guide to censorship of Adventure Time globally

Lol Australian broadcasters censored the pettiest poo poo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Homura and Sickle posted:

Comprehensive guide to censorship of Adventure Time globally

Lol Australian broadcasters censored the pettiest poo poo

i'm gonna be totally honest, if you're trying to push AT as an outright kids show and not just a show that's generally kid-appropriate, a lot of that stuff... at least kind of makes sense

like, AT really kind of pushed the envelope for what you can do on CN without making Standards and Practices angry, and basically every listed thing on that page is something you couldn't do or say on CN before AT

e: I mean, they did stuff like DBZ Uncut and the Hellboy and Ghibli movies prior to AT that probably kind of opened the door for AT in the first place, but AT is the first time they didn't make some kind of big deal of it, to my recollection.

e2: also at least one of those is kind of... unclear whether it's actually censoring something or if it's just replacing an American English-specific term with something more general. in "I Am A Sword," they change Bandit Princess' line so that she's saying her parents had fever, not mono. this could be censoring the reference to mono, or it could just be acknowledging that the rest of the Anglosphere calls mono "glandular fever."

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 20, 2018

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Can't let the kids hear the word bra.

Also jam must be a sex thing

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i mean, there's a couple that are just egregious (they also tried to censor any mention of Jake and Lady Rainicorn dating at first), but the vast, vast majority of the edits are either straight-up sexual innuendoes, on-screen violence, or weirdly disturbing dialogue (stuff like Ricardio threatening to cut someone's heart out).

like, looking at that list mostly just shines a light on just how much CN let this show get away with compared to basically anything they made or released prior (Samurai Jack arguably got away with more violence and Cow and Chicken inarguably got away with more sex, but they both had to be way more coy about it, whereas AT is pretty blunt).

e: like, from My Two Favorite People, it really shouldn't be shocking that they nixed Lady Rainicorn telling Jake to wrap his legs around her, or that they nixed Jake saying "go have fun with my girlfriend." ditto the Heart Beast exploding and splattering blood everywhere in The Enchiridion.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 20, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think a lot of the Australian censorship was more a pan-Asia thing given the other countries they're broadcasting in. Have you SEEN Australian television? We don't give the slightest poo poo. I think things like the video game R rating gave people the wrong idea; there's an extremely vocal but small and rapidly dying religious lobby that everyone mostly considers nothing but a nuisance that the government gives massively disproportionate influence to.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It says less about his intimacy issues and more about his masochistic streak.

That too. That boy's the type to get into some weird poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think a lot of the Australian censorship was more a pan-Asia thing given the other countries they're broadcasting in. Have you SEEN Australian television? We don't give the slightest poo poo. I think things like the video game R rating gave people the wrong idea; there's an extremely vocal but small and rapidly dying religious lobby that everyone mostly considers nothing but a nuisance that the government gives massively disproportionate influence to.

to be frank, I didn't figure it was any weirdness about Australia, I just figured CN Australia was pushing the show at a younger age bracket than CN America does. in the USA it's TV-PG, but probably 90% marketed to teenagers and not actual small children, making the content somewhat less surprising; if you start trying to push the show to an under-12 bracket, it's not overly shocking that you basically have to take a hatchet to some episodes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

to be frank, I didn't figure it was any weirdness about Australia, I just figured CN Australia was pushing the show at a younger age bracket than CN America does. in the USA it's TV-PG, but probably 90% marketed to teenagers and not actual small children, making the content somewhat less surprising; if you start trying to push the show to an under-12 bracket, it's not overly shocking that you basically have to take a hatchet to some episodes.

Even then, look at like, The Ferals.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I really love how they toed the line with so many things.

E: mostly butt things, thinking about it...

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Here's something SUPER weird. You dicks.

I just watched Blood Under The Skin on UK Netflix, and... it's loving censored. They literally cut out the whole section of Drop Ball and the ghost and Finn trying to pick up the ball with his rear end. They just mention Drop Ball, then cut to Finn getting the armor. It's weird. Like out of everything to censor from AT, that's what you pick? Also, that the gently caress Netflix? Censoring a kids' TV show? You loving cunts

I'm actually genuinely surprised since Netflix doesn't even have a Standards & Practices department like other networks do. Given it's a CN property, the censorship was probably on their side (afaik the Australia thing was all them too, for whatever reason) based on what they deemed too much in retrospect

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Netflix doesn't censor.

They bought a TV edit from the production company. Happens all the time (I assume because it's cheaper?)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Before Adventure Time, Cartoon Network pushed a lot of boundaries with The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack. It even incubated a lot of the talent that would create Cartoon Network's renaissance.

It just lacked the broader appeal of Adventure Time, as a creepy sailor cartoon.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Netflix doesn't censor.

They bought a TV edit from the production company. Happens all the time (I assume because it's cheaper?)

It's a lot more obvious on Hulu, because all the commercial breaks are mis-timed. Don't wanna put any more work into things than they have to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Heck, you lot should see Plasmo. Australian children's TV gets weird.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I "like" that the show is just banned outright in Kenya.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I "like" that the show is just banned outright in Kenya.

to be fair to kenya this show is pretty clearly part of the gay agenda

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Netflix doesn't censor.

I realize my post was so vaguely worded it sounded like I was saying the opposite. Yeah, that's what I meant, the edit they bought was already cut by CN. In this particular case it might be the only edit available even since I recall some of the reruns of AT actually had cuts made to them to stuff S&P didn't catch the first time round I guess.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ruflux posted:

I realize my post was so vaguely worded it sounded like I was saying the opposite. Yeah, that's what I meant, the edit they bought was already cut by CN. In this particular case it might be the only edit available even since I recall some of the reruns of AT actually had cuts made to them to stuff S&P didn't catch the first time round I guess.

Huh, I wonder if the DVDs are censored too.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Heck, you lot should see Plasmo. Australian children's TV gets weird.

Plasmo hosed me up bad. That poo poo is straight disturbing, even though IIRC there's a happy ending? It's bleak and gross and mucus-y and sad.

Good stuff.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I'm a big fan of stop motion & am enjoying Plasmo a lot- thx for the mention

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Trash Trick posted:

I'm a big fan of stop motion & am enjoying Plasmo a lot- thx for the mention

Jesus christ, I'd never seen it before and had no what people were talking about. It's like a Tool music video for kids :gonk:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I wish Adventure Time was on Canadian netflix.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I hope the episodes on YouTube aren't censored, I can't stand censorship

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

Ccs posted:

I wish Adventure Time was on Canadian netflix.

I can't find it in UK Netflix. That post about censorship got me all hot under the collar.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Censor Time!

Season's 2's Storytelling edits are so bad it makes the whole episode pointless. They cut out everything with the fox, the ducks, and the cow. So when the finale happens and Finn's explaining why everyone is miserable, this is the first time you're meeting everyone! Except the cow, her udders are NEVER brought up at all. Cut out nearly 2 minutes. It's loving bizarre.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Spotify has some weird adventure time covers. :shrug:

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 26, 2018

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

A list of really cool poo poo that is in Bmo's house, interestingly anything of Finn's is explicitly left out.

http://wolfhard.tumblr.com/post/179907753276/heyy-here-are-some-storyboard-pages-from-the-at

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
It was a treat running into Food Chain out of the blue during my watchthrough while having no idea Masaaki Yuasa made an episode for the show

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Nina posted:

It was a treat running into Food Chain out of the blue during my watchthrough while having no idea Masaaki Yuasa made an episode for the show

his production studio science saru also created all of the special openings for adventure time towards the end (stakes, islands, elements and the series finale). the only special opening sequence that i can recall that wasn't made by science saru was fionna and cake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Heads up. Season 10 is coming to Hulu on December 3rd.

• Locked thread