Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Fuzz posted:

2- You can't really control the swings, even on Advanced. I had hoped it would add a Jedi Knight style movement based swinging setup, but instead it has this odd thing where the way you're swinging your mouse dictates the type of swing, and it's not very precise. If they could tighten that up so there's some control and added in a block move, this game could be hilarious in MP.

I don't know if you're aware, but if you hold a directional button and right click, you can slash, thrust or chop depending on the direction (A/D are for slashing, W is for thrusting and S is for an overhead chop).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The ranking system seems pretty tough. Best I've done so far is 4.5 stars against the Headhunter mini-boss encounter.

This is a pretty cool game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Cowcaster posted:

Here's the seven I found in chapter 1:

Thanks, I'm so glad this game doesn't penalize you for taking your time and destroying enjoying each environment at your own pace. The koi pond at the beginning in particular is nice to just sit and watch.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

What were they thinking with that revolver? It's so terrible. The katana makes up for it though, I love charging at demons, beheading them and charging the next one to repeat. A great thing I noticed was the physics are actually alright, I beheaded a demon in a stream and his head went with the water flow, dripping blood the whole way down the stream.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

SaucyLoggins posted:

The game kind of runs like crap on my computer unfortunately. I might have to wait for a patch or some tricky config editing before I can enjoy it. Running an i5-3570K @ 3.4 ghz, 16 gigs of ram, and a 460SE. Runs like crap even on the lowest settings.

I was having similar issues. One thing you can try is going into the NVIDIA control panel and forcing Shadow Warrior (shows up as SW) to use it. Apparently, if you have an integrated graphics card the game likes to default to it for some reason.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Fanelien posted:

What were they thinking with that revolver? It's so terrible.

First of all, it is quite good once you get the upgrades. Second of all, when was the last time you played a classic shooter like Quake 2 or Duke Nukem 3D (or even Doom 3)? Because this isn't Call of Duty where you are limited to carrying two weapons at a time: here you get to carry all the weapons you can find. The pistol is a last resort weapon and has its uses (which you'll discover soon enough, trust me). It's not supposed to be comparable to the PDW and especially not to the crossbow. One thing to keep in mind is that the revolver is really inaccurate when you get it. A headshot will usually kill a lesser demon, even on Hard, it's just that the accuracy isn't great without the long barrel upgrade.

I take back what I said about the game's difficulty on Hard. I don't die frequently but the threat is always there. I still don't have enough ammo (even with both ammo scavenging upgrades) and whenever I have to fight two Warlords at once, things get hectic!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm up through level 7 or 8 (whatever the level after the first boss is and I completed it) and I still loving love this game. Fighting with your katana is a blast and the powers are really fun and fluid to use in combat. It reminds me of banging out special moves in Twisted Metal more than anything. And yeah your weapons start out kinda weak but your katana and powers are so strong that by the time you actually need your weapons you'll be able to upgrade them a few times. Single-action on the pistol makes it fun, dual Uzis make them worth it, the charge bolt on the crossbow wrecks poo poo and the shotgun is just a force of devastation even before you slap two more barrels on it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

IMO the only really lovely weapon is the flamethrower. Everything it can do, another weapon can do better. Close range? Shotgun or katana. AOE? Explosive bolts on the crossbow or rocket launcher. Both of those options also set things on fire so that is another thing that is no longer unique to the flamethrower. Doesn't help that the damage seems to be pretty low as well. It should've received a damage upgrade instead of extended fuel tanks.

My favorite weapons are definitely the katana and crossbow. Then again I did love the poo poo out of the stake gun from painkiller and the crossbow is essentially a better version of that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 28, 2013

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

IMO the only really lovely weapon is the flamethrower. Everything it can do, another weapon can do better. Close range? Shotgun or katana. AOE? Explosive bolts on the crossbow or rocket launcher. Doesn't help that the damage seems to be pretty low as well. It should've received a damage upgrade instead of extended fuel tanks.

I agree! Every time I open a chest and find flamethrower ammo, I'm disappointed because I'd rather just get a PDW magazine or even some revolver bullets. It's also worth mentioning that you can't always tell if you're even hitting anything with the flamethrower since you just see a huge jet of flame. Not that I'm complaining about not having to upgrade yet another weapon! My shotgun is still the stock model.

Yodzilla posted:

I'm up through level 7 or 8 (whatever the level after the first boss is and I completed it) and I still loving love this game.
Chapter 10 here and it's only getting better!

Kryopsis fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 28, 2013

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Kryopsis posted:

I agree! Every time I open a chest and find flamethrower ammo, I'm disappointed because I'd rather just get a PDW magazine or even some revolver bullets. It's also worth mentioning that you can't always tell if you're even hitting anything with the flamethrower since you just see a huge jet of flame. Not that I'm complaining about not having to upgrade yet another weapon! My shotgun is still the stock model.

Upgrading the Flamethrower is expensive as gently caress too. The money you spend upgrading it is much better used for upgrading the shotgun. It'd cost about the same, but you have a much, much more effective weapon.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Fanelien posted:

What were they thinking with that revolver? It's so terrible. The katana makes up for it though, I love charging at demons, beheading them and charging the next one to repeat. A great thing I noticed was the physics are actually alright, I beheaded a demon in a stream and his head went with the water flow, dripping blood the whole way down the stream.

Weapons have very specific roles. The Revolver is for triggering environmental crap and for flying enemies. Edit: It's also incredible at dealing with acid suicide demons, which it'll pop in one headshot.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 28, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Apparently there's some free DLC next week:

RuneStorm are the dudes that do Viscera Cleanup Detail, so I'm guessing a novelty moptana is on its way.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Devolver announced they'd continue releasing katana alternatives for a while after the release, some time ago.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Yodzilla posted:

I'm up through level 7 or 8 (whatever the level after the first boss is and I completed it) and I still loving love this game. Fighting with your katana is a blast and the powers are really fun and fluid to use in combat. It reminds me of banging out special moves in Twisted Metal more than anything. And yeah your weapons start out kinda weak but your katana and powers are so strong that by the time you actually need your weapons you'll be able to upgrade them a few times. Single-action on the pistol makes it fun, dual Uzis make them worth it, the charge bolt on the crossbow wrecks poo poo and the shotgun is just a force of devastation even before you slap two more barrels on it.

What the gently caress 17 chapters? Is the whole game going to be able to maintain the momentum and level size that the first half dozen have so far? Every chapter has taken me just shy of an hour so far even without obsessing over hidden items. I haven't seen a shooter in a long time that just managed to get so much right. I was really disappointed with ROTT, and I wasn't sold on this one at first, but holy god, it might not be the most refined shooter I have ever played but it is one of the most fun in a long time. It may also be one of the only FPSes ever that has great shooting and great melee.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Underwhelmed posted:

What the gently caress 17 chapters? Is the whole game going to be able to maintain the momentum and level size that the first half dozen have so far? Every chapter has taken me just shy of an hour so far even without obsessing over hidden items. I haven't seen a shooter in a long time that just managed to get so much right. I was really disappointed with ROTT, and I wasn't sold on this one at first, but holy god, it might not be the most refined shooter I have ever played but it is one of the most fun in a long time. It may also be one of the only FPSes ever that has great shooting and great melee.

The levels vary in size. For instance, I just finished chapter 10 and it took me one hour, 17 minutes. It's one huge chapter! On the other hand, boss battles are always in a separate chapter, pretty much Painkiller-style.

I've been meaning to say, I really like the enemies in this game. Even the basic clawed demon can wall-run, crawl on the ceiling, jump to dodge projectiles or even block arrows! This is rather more engaging than Serious Sam/Pankiller hordes of enemies that just home on you and attack when they get close. Seriously, the Warlord alone makes a huge difference whenever he is present in a fight.

Shadow Warrior is really more than just a classic shooter. Some of the mechanics (strategic dismemberment, demonic rage, swordfighting) are quite clever!

Kryopsis fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 28, 2013

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
So far my only issue with the game is that I either choose between V-Sync and my framerate goes down a noticeable amount or I go without and have some screen tearing issues but a stable framerate. That's a pretty small complaint honestly.

If you like shooters, buy Shadow Warrior. Its about as close to Bulletstorm 2 as anyone is going to get.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Kryopsis posted:

Shadow Warrior is really more than just a classic shooter. Some of the mechanics (strategic dismemberment, demonic rage, swordfighting) are quite clever!

Yeah they kind of went above and beyond what I was expecting in every way. While I appreciated the Rise of the Triad for what it was that game was far from perfect but Shadow Warrior is drat near spot on. It also shows that you absolutely can do a smart-rear end wisecracking first person shooter with dumb pop culture references in 2013 and not have it come off as forced or pandering. Yes having the demon on your hop to play off of helps but it just demonstrated how loving bad the writing in Duke Nukem Forever was.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

So far my only issue with the game is that I either choose between V-Sync and my framerate goes down a noticeable amount or I go without and have some screen tearing issues but a stable framerate. That's a pretty small complaint honestly.

If you like shooters, buy Shadow Warrior. Its about as close to Bulletstorm 2 as anyone is going to get.

If you have an nVidia card, go into your control panel and in 3D settings set VSync to Adaptive. Then turn off VSync in every game ever.

Enjoy.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Found an egregious oversight, these forklifts don't explode:

I want a refund.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Yes having the demon on your hop to play off of helps but it just demonstrated how loving bad the writing in Duke Nukem Forever was.

Speaking of which:

And yes, Lo Wang actually says "hail to the king, baby!" when you pick this up!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

Found an egregious oversight, these forklifts don't explode:

I want a refund.

Speaking of which, has anyone picked up the fire resistance skill and does it help against enviroment explosions? I love explosions, but they don't love me.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

Speaking of which, has anyone picked up the fire resistance skill and does it help against enviroment explosions? I love explosions, but they don't love me.

You stop lighting on fire with it but still take damage... think it might be less but it's hard to say.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
No because defensive abilities are for pussies. :colbert:

(i'm playing on Normal :negative:)

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Fuzz posted:

If you have an nVidia card, go into your control panel and in 3D settings set VSync to Adaptive. Then turn off VSync in every game ever.

Enjoy.

Actually I'm using an AMD Radeon HD 7800. Any advice would be appreciated. I don't wanna futz around too much in the catalyst control without knowing what I'm doing.

Yodzilla posted:

Don't feel too bad. I finally cracked a 5 star ranking in the courtyard right before you get the first piece of the katana.
It's really quite difficult even on Normal to get good rankings, and I'm not even really sure how I did it. It seemed like I was playing sloppily but I guess not

For the record 5 stars is basically just double the karma bonus of a 2 & 1/2 star ranking with no achievement attached. So yeah, pretty sure there's enough karma to go around, and you don't really need to care. Not sure if it effects your final Score tally at the end of levels, but it might.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Actually I'm using an AMD Radeon HD 7800. Any advice would be appreciated. I don't wanna futz around too much in the catalyst control without knowing what I'm doing.

Then I think you're SOL. A friend with an ATI card tried to find a similar setting recently and apparently had no luck. I don't think the ATI cards can do it. What Adaptive does is max out your framerate to whatever your monitor's refresh rate is, so you won't be locked down by lovely ingame V-Sync which usually won't let you go over 40, but it also won't go over your refresh rate and cause the tearing. It's pretty great and makes a lot of games run even smoother... lets you play lots of older games at 60fps, to boot.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

I'm only even playing on Hard, and the huge glorious chain reactions of explosions you get definitely feel like a much larger danger to me than any of the guys I'm fighting.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

I'm only even playing on Hard, and the huge glorious chain reactions of explosions you get definitely feel like a much larger danger to me than any of the guys I'm fighting.

The pyrotechnics in this game are loving glorious.

It really is up there with Blood Dragon and The Last of Us for my favorite game of this year.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Underwhelmed posted:

Having just beat it, I want to say that no it doesn't maintain the momentum throughout. Towards the end, I was just rushing through most of the levels only bothering to look for stuff when I needed more ammo. Still fun, but it kinda dragged near the end.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Don't feel too bad. I finally cracked a 5 star ranking in the courtyard right before you get the first piece of the katana.
It's really quite difficult even on Normal to get good rankings, and I'm not even really sure how I did it. It seemed like I was playing sloppily but I guess not

For the record 5 stars is basically just double the karma bonus of a 2 & 1/2 star ranking with no achievement attached. So yeah, pretty sure there's enough karma to go around, and you don't really need to care. Not sure if it effects your final Score tally at the end of levels, but it might.

I managed to get a 20k Karma bonus from 5-rating a bigger fight. There's some good amount of Karma to be had from playing well. And yeah it absolutely feels like Fire Resistance helps against explosions - but more importantly I think the Demon ranged attacks are all "fire". With the ranged-upgraded magic shield up the small fireballs the ranged Demons fire in salvos tick for me an amazing 1 hitpoint of damage - on Hard.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DatonKallandor posted:

I managed to get a 20k Karma bonus from 5-rating a bigger fight. There's some good amount of Karma to be had from playing well. And yeah it absolutely feels like Fire Resistance helps against explosions - but more importantly I think the Demon ranged attacks are all "fire". With the ranged-upgraded magic shield up the small fireballs the ranged Demons fire in salvos tick for me an amazing 1 hitpoint of damage - on Hard.

Does anyone have a more concrete understanding on how the rating systems works beyond "fairies and moon magic"? The highest I've gotten is 4 stars, and that was from just nuking the entire battle with the rays from a demon head.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I think it goes by how quickly you dispatch enemies and how varied your attacks are. Other than that, it might as well be random. Going apeshit with the katana does seems to consistently score higher than using guns.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

Does anyone have a more concrete understanding on how the rating systems works beyond "fairies and moon magic"? The highest I've gotten is 4 stars, and that was from just nuking the entire battle with the rays from a demon head.

I have no idea, because I just had a fight I didn't think I did well in, and it was my first 5 star. I didn't even use anything other than the katana (like most of my fights) but I mixed up the attacks and used magic a few times, so maybe that's all you need to do? I also ended the fight with 100% health. (Seriously, get that Aswang technique)

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Just got the shotgun and read the Firestorm upgrade description.

... when you absolutely, positively have kill every motherfucker in the room.

gently caress I feel so badass in this game. :black101:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Man, the crossbow with the charge upgrade alone is so much more useful than the PDW completely kitted out, and it seems to get me way higher ratings to boot. Regretting that money-sink.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I've found the PDWs are nice for damage against bigger targets that don't dodge (Greater Demons and the Shield-carrying lessers), but they get outclassed by later weapons. Which is okay I suppose - you get the PDWs really early.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The PDWs rule for the bosses. Just point and spray, armor breaks.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I think I'm an idiot because I just got stuck in the graveyard to the temple. I simply can't find the drat shrines to unseal this passage.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

I think I'm an idiot because I just got stuck in the graveyard to the temple. I simply can't find the drat shrines to unseal this passage.

You have to backtrack quite a ways for one of them (I think the green one?) it's not very intuitive. Just head backwards and eventually you should see it.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Fuzz posted:

You have to backtrack quite a ways for one of them (I think the green one?) it's not very intuitive. Just head backwards and eventually you should see it.

I fell underground and got the two there, so just go backwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

I fell underground and got the two there, so just go backwards?

Oh, that part. I thought you meant the part with the big pools and bridges. For that part I seem to remember just continuing forward until you end up back where you started, then you have to just look around that first open area, there's one way off to the side in a little shrine. Definitely keep going forward because you'll end up in that house at the start with the Power gem and a secret idol in it... then you can open all the padlocks you passed on the way in.

• Locked thread