Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Luckily, despite this probably being the best actual shooter to come out for a very long time, its getting lovely reviews cause they didnt buy the game sites enough blowjobs and baseball caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Luckily, despite this probably being the best actual shooter to come out for a very long time, its getting lovely reviews cause they didnt buy the game sites enough blowjobs and baseball caps.

NO KILLING SAND MONKEYS AND RUSSKIES, NO FAKE REALISM MODERN WARFARE BULLSHIT, NO REAL GUNS, NO MULTIPLAYER THE GAME WAS DESIGNED AROUND.

5/10

edit: I know plenty of people that would give this game that exact review, sadly.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 29, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

It's Game Development 101: allocate a portion of the budget towards getting your Metacritic score above 85. So many publishers forget that important rule.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

One thing I will be eternally greatful is that this game features a loving health meter. Oh god how I missed those. gently caress this rasberry jam bullshit all modern shooters are doing.

And don't upgrade Flux. It's really unimpressive even at its maximum duration. On the other hand, Wang has sicknasty tatoo on his right arm and half his torso :c00l:

Any tips with dealing with the minotaurs, necromancers and those duel-katana banshees? The former two seem to take way too long to kill and the latter wrecks my poo poo.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Alright I need some help.

I took out 4 pieces of this fuckers armor and I've been dancing around him for the past 10 minutes. How do I finish this guy off? http://i.imgur.com/TCFVtZm.jpg

(EDIT) Tried it again, he bugged out before

Malek fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 29, 2013

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Malek posted:

Alright I need some help.

I took out 4 pieces of this fuckers armor and I've been dancing around him for the past 10 minutes. How do I finish this guy off? http://i.imgur.com/TCFVtZm.jpg

During and after his charge where he tuckers himself out, shoot the yellow crystal inside his chest cavity

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SSNeoman posted:

Any tips with dealing with the minotaurs, necromancers and those duel-katana banshees? The former two seem to take way too long to kill and the latter wrecks my poo poo.

Minotaurs: I took the skill that lets you harvest a demon head from them. So beyond the first encounter, I always had one. Use the demon head to kill the minotaur. Use any remaining energy to kill other poo poo before picking up the new head. Save new head for next minotaur encounter. If you don't have that skill, try staying at range while using the explosive crossbow bolts. They become a lot less deadly once you blow off one of their arms.

Necromancers: I leave them for last because they normally summon fodder which is easy enough to kill.

Katana banshees: Shotgun to the face. Preferably with the firestorm and quad barrel upgrade. Using Flux on them is good too as it prevents them from teleporting around while you kill them.

Yodzilla posted:

It can't be understated how powerful and clutch the Warlord heads are. Not taking that skill is severely inhibiting your damage output.

Taking the 30% more damage skill makes them even better. Then you will definitely have left over juice to kill more things :getin:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 29, 2013

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

During and after his charge where he tuckers himself out, shoot the yellow crystal inside his chest cavity

Notice how the arm is still attached. He definitely bugged out on that play through. Ran it again and after the axe and arm went, it launched correctly.

Before, he was doing the original walk around and axe swing with no weak point.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It can't be understated how powerful and clutch the Warlord heads are. Not taking that skill is severely inhibiting your damage output.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Minotaurs: I took the skill that lets you harvest a demon head from them. So beyond the first encounter, I always had one. Use the demon head to kill the minotaur. Use any remaining energy to kill other poo poo before picking up the new head. Save new head for next minotaur encounter. If you don't have that skill, try staying at range while using the explosive crossbow bolts. They become a lot less deadly once you blow off one of their arms.

Necromancers: I leave them for last because they normally summon fodder which is easy enough to kill.

Katana banshees: Shotgun to the face. Preferably with the firestorm and quad barrel upgrade. Using Flux on them is good too as it prevents them from teleporting around while you kill them.

Don't the Necromancers actually revive enemies? I remember trying to pick off the shield enemies that came with the Necromancer in the part before you enter the second part of the boat, but I swear there were always more, no matter how many I killed. Once I killed the Necromancer, they stopped coming. I assumed he was reviving them.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

closeted republican posted:

Don't the Necromancers actually revive enemies? I remember trying to pick off the shield enemies that came with the Necromancer in the part before you enter the second part of the boat, but I swear there were always more, no matter how many I killed. Once I killed the Necromancer, they stopped coming. I assumed he was reviving them.

Maybe just once? I just keep murdering the poo poo with my katana and eventually its just the really weak skeletons that pop up 3-5 at a time. I have tried to zerg the necromancers down, but they have a lot of health and can do their invincible bubble poo poo(which stays up until you kill all their minions). I just found it easier to leave them for last.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
If you want to kill Necromancers, bumrush them and charging stab their right arm. That's the one that can summon more poo poo. Once they lose it, they can't summon poo poo anymore.

Same goes for minotaurs, the left arm is the one that can lasso you, the right is the one that throws the fireballs. Blow off whichever attack annoys you more first.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
So is EX MODE just starting a new game on the same difficulty with the unlocks from a previously cleared game? I want to play again but I think I'll jump from Normal to Insane since now I know what powers and weapons I want to focus on.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

SSNeoman posted:

The Demon Head skill that's been mentioned already is the big one when it comes to dealing with the Warlords. For the teleporting sword demons I just charge up a WW-Stab and wait till they teleport to me. A single fully charged Divider (with all the Katana skill tree damage upgrades) one-shots them.

And yeah Hoji-Wang dialogues are awesome. The whole thing is really well written, because they both start off really not liking each other and they as the game goes on they riff of each other more and more. Also Wang is terrible at one-liners at the start, but actually gets better and better as he goes.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I love Hoji's catty "Bitch" after Wang tells him he needs to work on being hot. The delivery was loving Ru Paul's Drag Race spot-on.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
The characters and writing are great all around. It's amazing how far they've come from the sterile Hard Reset and it's nonsensical story. I think my favorite part is Wang comes in already fleshed out. He was already Batman with a Batcave even before he made a pact with a demon.

Oh, and also, ship level spoilers, how many protagonists do you know of that takes the initiative to betray the people that are surely going to betray them first. Most games I can think of have the main character get screwed over then get revenge later. Wang knew those twins were going to be trouble. It was obvious to the player and for once your character is a step ahead.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 29, 2013

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

The Demon Head skill that's been mentioned already is the big one when it comes to dealing with the Warlords.

Huh, that was my "oh gently caress this" option. I didn't think that was the preferre ay to take them down.

DatonKallandor posted:

For the teleporting sword demons I just charge up a WW-Stab and wait till they teleport to me. A single fully charged Divider (with all the Katana skill tree damage upgrades) one-shots them.

I'll give that a shot too.

It's really weird. I really like the sword combat, like up to not even using guns because of the blade beam. That thing is awesome, it goes through walls and shields.
But the weapons feel like the need to be buffed. That should be an easy fix though, shouldn't it?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Yodzilla posted:

I love Hoji's catty "Bitch" after Wang tells him he needs to work on being hot. The delivery was loving Ru Paul's Drag Race spot-on.

My favorite is the one where Hoji starts making fun of Zilla and Wang is all "You made armor for the Demon Invasion. Shut the gently caress up!". The deliver on Wangs line is just perfect.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

I played the living poo poo out of Shadow Warrior back in the day despite knowing it was a garbage game full of stuff that made me really uncomfortable. That game has not held up at all, and is a prime example of the attitude that took over 3DR to produce the travesty that became DNF.

While I like Shadow Warrior classic, it's not as fun or as nostalgic as Duke3D, despite both being pretty much the same exact same.

Also jumping on the Wang-Hoji banter love bandwagon. The synergy between the two is perfect and actually made me very sad and upset during the events near the end of the game.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 29, 2013

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Shadow Warrior is a really great shooter, but it's a bad RPG. With the exception of weapons, the upgrades don't offer compelling choices, and there isn't a sense of progression. I think they would have been a lot better off with more traditional level ups that increase hp, damage, etc. with a few points where you get to pick a more significant stuff. The extra sword moves you pick up are nicely done, with each of the three having clear use scenarios, as well as looking different and cool. Chi powers are only okay, but the two stunning moves are not clearly differentiated and all the powers being yellow means it's hard to tell apart. The defence up mode is also a missed opportunity, it doesn't feel different enough to be cool and is limits your options when it should give you new ways to feel cool but slow instead of the regular speedy.

But holy crap, I love just about everything else. Before now my favorite melee combat was in the first Condemned, which used even simpler elements than this game yet ended up with something complex through level design and enemy AI. SW loses Condemned's desperate struggle elements, but more than makes up for it in just feeling cool. While the sword is obviously the part they spent the most time on, it's cool how much using a shotgun feels different from the backup and fire uzis.

It's amazing how much good AI takes what could have been repetitive and makes it unpredictable and addictive. Enemies are nicely varied as well (the Resi 4 like suddenly more dangerous mobs are a nice touch) and offer a good mix of crowd control and individually tough enemies.

And oh god the levels, they do a great job of looping back on themselves in pleasing ways, and there's also the cool the secrets everyone is talking about and the fact that pickups are in cabinets and chests instead of lying around. Even though there is some money saving through repeating stuff, the cumlitive effect is that the games spaces feel like they matter. There isn't the great meaning behind this kind of thing like you find in Gone Home or something, but it does elevate the game substantially. Wild Hog nailed this in Hard Reset as well, especially the special edition levels.

It's a shame that this is getting a guilty pleasure reputation, though it's not surprising. What makes it great is entirely down to feel, and it doesn't have the immediate likability of Serious Sam (but it also remains entertaining a lot longer than Serious Sam does). It does a rather poor job of explaining itself (the mysterious ranking system is a huge misstep), and like I described above the RPG stuff does it no favors. But if you approach it the right way, there's a lot here to love (and oh god it's so long, so much levels!). It's the first gamey-game I've liked in a long time.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

So is EX MODE just starting a new game on the same difficulty with the unlocks from a previously cleared game? I want to play again but I think I'll jump from Normal to Insane since now I know what powers and weapons I want to focus on.

Wild Hog hosed up in Hard Reset by limiting difficulty changes in a really silly way (you could go down, but not up, because achievements, although they did patch that out), so I'm glad to see they learned their lesson and let you move it whenever you want.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Flubby posted:

Oh, and also, ship level spoilers, how many protagonists do you know of that takes the initiative to betray the people that are surely going to betray them first. Most games I can think of have the main character get screwed over then get revenge later. Wang knew those twins were going to be trouble. It was obvious to the player and for once your character is a step ahead.

I'm just waiting for the showdown now. It'd be hilarious if there isn't one and that's just a loose end for DLC/sequel. I'd like that, actually.

Just finished that one crazy room in the third part in Zilla's fortress where you face the 2 Taurus demons that charge you in that crazy room with all the smashable walls and the flickering lighting. It's amazing that this game can be more cinematic and insane than like any other game in the last 5 or 6 years, easily. Goddamn that was crazy.

EDIT: These guys and the guys from Eidos Montreal that made Deus Ex: Human Revolution need to get together to make a single mega-team and release the greatest FPS since the original HL1 came out. That needs to happen.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Fuzz posted:

Just finished that one crazy room in the third part in Zilla's fortress where you face the 2 Taurus demons that charge you in that crazy room with all the smashable walls and the flickering lighting. It's amazing that this game can be more cinematic and insane than like any other game in the last 5 or 6 years, easily. Goddamn that was crazy.

That was the only part of the game where my framerate took a dive but it was so drat cool.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How funny is the game? I've never been a huge fan of Doom-style shooters but I saw the opening cutscene and it was fantastic, is the rest of the game as good?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

How funny is the game? I've never been a huge fan of Doom-style shooters but I saw the opening cutscene and it was fantastic, is the rest of the game as good?

The Wang/Hoji dynamic is pretty great. Both are gigantic assholes, both are smartasses, both are forced to be around each other constantly. Most of the game has them bickering constantly.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Rookersh posted:

The Wang/Hoji dynamic is pretty great. Both are gigantic assholes, both are smartasses, both are forced to be around each other constantly. Most of the game has them bickering constantly.

On that note... a comparison.

Remember how Duke in Duke Nukem Forever was 100% carbon copy from the 90s to today? To the point in which it kinda... didn't grow up with it's audience and was still childish to a degree? It's not like that at all.

Wang isn't like he was in the original one. He's toned down quite a bit but still a bit of a dick while being likable and real. I like the change, feels like he grew up with his audience. Less of an over the top racist stereotype and more of a puckish rogue.

(EDIT) VVVVV: Not magical until later but yes. Same name.

(EDIT 2) VVVVV: I get a more Chinese vibe from his appearance and voice but don't know for sure. Besides Wang would be a Chinese thing.

Malek fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 29, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Huh, I did not in a million years expect people to be positive on this game.

Just to confirm, it still stars a Japanese magic ninja or something person inexplicably named Lo Wang, right?

edit: I mean, he's still Japanese? Not re-cast as a Chinese guy who learned ninja stuff because of reasons, or something?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 29, 2013

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Just to confirm, it still stars a Japanese magic ninja or something person inexplicably named Lo Wang, right?

He's more a wannabe ninja now.

It's surprising how good this game is when it really had no reason to be any good at all.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

randombattle posted:

He's more a wannabe ninja now.

I'd say rich mercenary who favors wild slashing.

VVVVV: Better put and good point on the Duke thing.

Malek fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 29, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Malek posted:

On that note... a comparison.

Remember how Duke in Duke Nukem Forever was 100% carbon copy from the 90s to today? To the point in which it kinda... didn't grow up with it's audience and was still childish to a degree? It's not like that at all.

Wang isn't like he was in the original one. He's toned down quite a bit but still a bit of a dick while being likable and real. I like the change, feels like he grew up with his audience. Less of an over the top racist stereotype and more of a puckish rogue.

(EDIT) VVVVV: Not magical until later but yes. Same name.

Actually, Duke was a downgrade from 90's Duke, for a lot of reasons. But the point still stands, Lo Wang went from the worst of middle school ching chong wing wong stereotypes to a legit fun and funny character. He reminds me a bit of Travis Touchdown in a game that doesn't constantly insults people like Travis Touchdown.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does he at any point say "Do you want to wash Wang? Or watch Wang wash Wang?" That's the only one of his stupid lines I remember from the old game.

Also does he have a nuclear missile launcher which is simply hitscan instakill for anyone within line of sight of it when it goes off, regardless of distance?

edit: oh, and (ninja style) caltrops? I thought those were a legit awesome innovation in multiplayer since they revealed where your opponent was and slowed them down.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does he at any point say "Do you want to wash Wang? Or watch Wang wash Wang?" That's the only one of his stupid lines I remember from the old game.

Also does he have a nuclear missile launcher which is simply hitscan instakill for anyone within line of sight of it when it goes off, regardless of distance?

I'm only 1/3rd through and he hasn't said that.

Also I hear the rocket launcher does not have a nuke option.

Edit: No Caltrops. As much as Flying Hog is known for doing "Hard core old school reboots" this wasn't like it was back in the Duke days. It's more of a wild "hack and slash everything until you paint the room red" type with some VERY smooth controls, special moves to boot and the occasional gun to vary things up. Don't ask me how, but it just works

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
No, and no. It's a good game, really.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Samurai Sanders posted:

No but there are definitely a good number of Wang jokes and most of them land. The others are kind of bad on purpose.

e: i really enjoyed the writing in this game and hell everything else about it as well. i really hope Digital Devolver/Flying Wild Hog keeps this up and can make another since both Zilla and the twin assassins are still out there

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Okay then, I think I will pick it up next time it is on sale. I'm over budget on games right now though, having just bought GTA5 and then imported Warriors Orochi Ultimate.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Yodzilla posted:

No but there are definitely a good number of Wang jokes and most of them land. The others are kind of bad on purpose.
I enjoyed some of the really bad jokes. :) I don't know why but in this game they just work.

I still think this one takes the cake:

I've taken a shitload of screenshots in my first playthrough. The game can be really pretty sometimes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

randombattle posted:

It's surprising how good this game is when it really had no reason to be any good at all.

Except for who's developing it? Hard Reset had problems - how serious depends on who you ask (I loved it) - but it showed Flying Hog certainly had potential.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: I mean, he's still Japanese? Not re-cast as a Chinese guy who learned ninja stuff because of reasons, or something?

He talks about learning kung fu growing up, so it's pretty clear he's Chinese. The aesthetic of most of the game is pan-Asian, though.

EDIT: Also I just completed the sword.

:stare:

:black101::hellyeah:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 29, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Rinkles posted:

Except for who's developing it? Hard Reset had problems - how serious depends on who you ask (I loved it) - but it showed Flying Hog certainly had potential.

This is built using their proprietary engine they made for Hard Reset, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Rinkles posted:

I just mean Shadow Warrior as a concept. A game about a super racist caricature getting a modern sequel in the vein of Duke Nukem Forever is not a concept I ever held hope for regardless of the developer.

• Locked thread