Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah that's kinda their gimmick disappearing like that. I still think Shadow Warrior has aged worse than Duke3D or Blood though but I can't quite pinpoint why.

It's probably the map design. I think Levelord designed most of the levels for Duke3d and Blood, but wasn't involved in Shadow Warrior. I like classic shadow warrior but the level design really starts to fall off as you progress through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

So all of the weapons besides the sword just feel incredibly unsatisfying so far. One of the cool parts of the original was that you had a nuclear arsenal by the end of the first level. The money system for upgrades in this game just seems so against that spirit and at least so far (chapter 5) all of the guns feel weak. I don't even have a shotgun/riot gun yet. If I save up another thousand dollars I can finally dual wield my sub machine guns, which I'd be doing 2 minutes in to the original, tops.

Sword's cool though

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Just got through the first boss and yeahhhhh, I 'd have a hard time recommending this to anyone. It's funny because the one thing that really makes this feel like the original Shadow Warrior is the sense of missed opportunity.

Pros:
-Sword is fun
-A decent amount of easter eggs to find from the first game
-Less giant groups of hitscan enemies than the first game I guess?

Cons:
-Level design feels repetitive as hell. Lots and lots of very similar looking streets
-Weapons feel weak and lacking variety
-Boss fights are tedious
-Plot is dumb and predictable but not the fun kind of dumb/predictable that I hoped for

It just doesn't feel like Shadow Warrior. The original was just a silly racist caricature with lots of silly guns and catchphrases. None of that is here. It's just a mediocre B-grade shooter that distinguishes itself by having poo poo-tons of exploding environmental objects and a decently fun if not all that deep sword mechanic.

The good news is that it's kind of mindless fun if you don't think about it much and just want to run around swinging a sword at demons for a while. Probably not worth it at $40 but will be a pretty OK pickup when it goes on sale in 2 months for half that price. Until then go play Chivalry if you want to have some fun swinging swords around.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

I just had enough time to finish the first chapter. Is the revolver supposed to be absolutely worthless? Because holy god drat I can't remember the last time I used a gun that felt so awful in a first person shooter.

Use it to shoot environmental object as enemies run at you. Vending machines, barrels, air conditioning units on walls, cars, whatever. If it isn't a wall then it'll probably explode after one bullet and toss anyone near it around.

That's pretty much the only thing I use any guns for outside of bosses

• Locked thread