Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah that's kinda their gimmick disappearing like that. I still think Shadow Warrior has aged worse than Duke3D or Blood though but I can't quite pinpoint why.

I think its mostly because shadow warrior feels like it never truly hit its mark, like 3D Realms just kinda ran out of steam and inspiration for the game towards the end of its development and just kinda quickly pushed it out to market so it could compensate for the time spent making it

Shadow Warrior is just one of those games that reeks of both potential and bad design direction in a whole Lotta ways and its really sad because Shadow Warrior definitely could have turned out way better if they had put more effort into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

closeted republican posted:

I wish Flying Wild Hog would figure out how to make gunplay consistently good. Most of SW's weapons feel really underpowered and boring to use, especially compared to the katana. It seems to take them forever to kill anything and they aren't not satisfying to use. Even the crossbow is pretty "eh" compared to how fun, effective, and satisfying the katana is, even though the charge ability can do a lot of damage. The only weapons that actually feel powerful are the rocket launcher and fully-upgraded shotgun. The fully-upgraded revolver is really cool and satisfying to use, but it feels like it does poo poo damage against everything except the suicide bombers and the harpy-things.

Hard Reset had a similar problem, where the weapons felt ridiculously weak because it took around 8 shots from anything except the smartgun and rocket launcher to kill the stupid saw robots you encounter at the start. Anything stronger than them took for-loving-ever to kill because of how poo poo your guns were.

One issue I run into with the crossbow is that it sort of bugs out and drops shots (like just won't shoot or will lose its charge for no reason) and it makes it ridiculously annoying to use

Oh and that running kick is completely useless, I don't know if its just me but it has never done anything to any enemy I have tried it on

NoodleBox fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 25, 2014

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

closeted republican posted:

My latest run was in Hard, so it's probably more of a complaint regarding higher difficulties than the guns in particular. :shobon:

I beat Hard yesterday, and the only guns I used against normal enemies were the rocket launcher (love that thing), the flamethrower, and the revolver. The katana accounted for a a vast majority of my kills. I'm not complaining, because it's loving awesome. I think it'll probably be like that in Insane as well.

Remember to make good use of environmental objects, they will be your saving grace on insane if you actually want to get some decent battle ratings and not have to katana everything to death

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

The Colonel posted:

The Berzerkers, man. The loving Berzerkers.

I want to finish my Insane run, I want to play through on Heroic mode. But those loving Berzerkers become such a goddamn nightmare I'm not even going to bother anymore.

Honestly the issue with the Berzerkers is that there really aren't any tricks you can do to alleviate how annoying they are, I mean the closest things you have are getting the laser guide for the missile launcher so you can actually use it against them effectively, and I guess the Divider of heaven since you can hit them in the back or front and it will hurt them (albeit not that much either way)

They are also really buggy which (for me) is the real bitch, can't tell you how many times I've been insta-killed because they hit me and didn't stop charging, or when they just kind of phase through a solid object I was trying to guide them into, or when they just kind of slide off of a solid object instead of ramming into it

• Locked thread