Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Updated for Zodijackylite because I'm curious as to how this plays out, too:

28 points in 37 games

18 points in 28 games

:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers

Reverend Sub-Zero posted:

The Philadelphia Flyers will be in the playoffs. If they are not I will cheer for the Penguins or the Rangers until they are eliminated from playoff contention. An avatar will be purchased as well as a Jersey t-shirt.

I am so so so so hosed. :smith:

Curious season this had been. :shobon:

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Checking up.

me posted:

1. Brodeur plays 40 games
2. Jagr puts up 50 points
3. Lamoriello adds a former Devil player to the roster by the trade deadline
4. The total goals scored by the defense corps during the season will be more than 30
5. The Devils make the playoffs
6. Tedenby gets waived or traded
7. Anton Volchenkov gets traded
8. The powerplay is better percentage-wise than it was last year
9. The Devils advance to the second round
10. The Devils finish ahead of the Flyers

1. He's at 25 at the halfway point. Looks likely to me.
2. Definitely barring major injury, he's almost at 40 already.
3. I still think this is likely.
4. Already at 20. Looks likely. Thanks Greene/Zidlicky.
5. Not looking good right now but they're definitely not out of it and a big stretch could get them right back in the mix.
6. This already came true, as he was waived this past week. Went unclaimed.
7. I think this is going to happen. There's no way Lou keeps Larsson in the AHL while playing Volchenkov.
8. Last year was 15.9%, this year so far it's 17.83%. Looking good.
9. Highly doubt it.
10. Doesn't look good now but again this could easily change.

Seems like pretty much every prediction is coming true.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Vigilance posted:

Crosby is gonna score 120 or more points and if he doesn't I'll buy an avatar of SAS' choosing and wear it until the start of next season.

On pace for 119 points. If he heats up in the second half like he usually does and doesn't die I might be okay.

Vigilance posted:

hmm well since you're being a sport and all I guess I'll do a similar one:

If the Habs win a playoff series this year I'll change my name to whatever Shoeonhead or Pkfuckingsubban chooses and keep that name for the entire next season and playoffs. I can change it after that if I want.

Also if the Flyers beat the Penguins in the season series I'll write a two page essay that goes into why Claude Giroux is the best player in the world. I expect a Flyers fan to man up and do a similar bet except with the Pens and Crosby though :colbert:.

Not too confident in the Habs one since the East is terrible.

Flyers is 1-1.

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers

Vigilance posted:

On pace for 119 points. If he heats up in the second half like he usually does and doesn't die I might be okay.

Not too confident in the Habs one since the East is terrible.

Flyers is 1-1.

I forget, did anyone from FAS man up? If not, I'm game. :getin:

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Rene Bork posted:

Should the Montreal Canadiens fail to make the playoffs this year, I will pen a letter to Marc Bergevin begging him to get Scott Gomez back, as he was the lynchpin that kept the team together.

As of now, the Habs are 3rd in the Flortheast and 4th in the conference. However, they have a bottom 10 Fenwick For%, a bottom 5 Corsi For%, a broken Galchenyuk for the next month or so, and a coach who appears to be going insane. If the reversal of fortune happens like I think it will, then let the mission to save Gomez begin.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Updated for Zodijackylite because I'm curious as to how this plays out, too:

28 points in 37 games

18 points in 28 games

:munch:

Oh wise Blue Jackets fan, where can I find more recent pictures of sweet prince Brandon Dubinsky?
edit: other than Blue Jackets Xtra

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
The TOR v CAR game was on TV just now so I watched it.

The Leafs are loving terrible. They are more terrible than the terrible Hurricanes' 3rds. They should have all their points taken away.

E: Not the N/V Thread. Ooops.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 11, 2014

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I forget, did anyone from FAS man up? If not, I'm game. :getin:

I don't think anyone did.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Shyfted One posted:

The TOR v CAR game was on TV just now so I watched it.

The Leafs are loving terrible. They are more terrible than the terrible Hurricanes' 3rds. They should have all their points taken away.

That's an interesting Toxx.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

VJeff posted:

Also, I will write a short essay (250 words each) celebrating the skills and accomplishments of every goaltender who finishes ahead of Jimmy Howard in SV% this year titled "Goalies More Elite Than James Russell Howard III".

Gotta say this was the best toxx this year by far.

48th as of now, in case anyone was wondering

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Wow

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

HOW COULD YOU posted:

hahahaha

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Not to spoil anyone's fun but I'm PROBABLY gonna add a GP requirement to this one just so I don't gotta go "oh yeah that one guy who played 2 games well his bone structure. drat. That bone structure. Just look at it."

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

VJeff posted:

Not to spoil anyone's fun but I'm PROBABLY gonna add a GP requirement to this one just so I don't gotta go "oh yeah that one guy who played 2 games well his bone structure. drat. That bone structure. Just look at it."

11,750 words is easy peasy I bet you can do it now sweat

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You could have saved some crunch time and written up Rask, Price, Niemi, Quick etc. months ago.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Corey Perry better start playing with those elbows up, I swear to christ

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

VJeff posted:

Nope. You had that chance back on the day of putting your toxx in to add a qualifier. Don't try to cheat out of your cockiness.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Drunk Canuck posted:

Nope. You had that chance back on the day of putting your toxx in to add a qualifier. Don't try to cheat out of your cockiness.

Whoa check out the Toxxmaster General over here.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Drunk Canuck posted:

i agree with this

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Drunk Canuck posted:

BLOOD

WE CALL FOR BLOOD

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

VJeff posted:

I'd say 15 GP is fair.

Wait that's still 30 goalies oohh boy

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Don't misconstrue my meaning, I'm not at all adverse to writing for a shitload of goalies, I knew that was a possibility from the second I made the toxx and the whole reason I made the toxx was so I could make something funny in the offseason that'd hopefully amuse me and others, I just don't think "AHL third stringer type who had to come in when the starter and backup were unavailable for a couple games" is a very funny joke after the first time you tell it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
At the end of the season, I will serve as arbiter.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hand Knit posted:

Kay. I'll accept whatever you decide.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
e: not even close to the right thread

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

AboveAndBeyond posted:

TOXX: If the caps finish in the top 3 of their division OR above the Penguins, I'll get a Caps avatar of one of their fan's choosing (probably mcvey) and hold it for as long as they are in the playoffs.

gently caress gently caress gently caress keep losing caps. Too easy this season.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VJeff posted:

Don't misconstrue my meaning, I'm not at all adverse to writing for a shitload of goalies, I knew that was a possibility from the second I made the toxx and the whole reason I made the toxx was so I could make something funny in the offseason that'd hopefully amuse me and others, I just don't think "AHL third stringer type who had to come in when the starter and backup were unavailable for a couple games" is a very funny joke after the first time you tell it.

Using whatever filter the NHL website uses when you search for sv% leaders makes sense. He's only 31st on that list, so really you're only looking at like ~7500 words.

e:

Mine:

1) Philly will make the playoffs. I think this one will come true
2) New York Islanders will not. also this, but that'll change if they get a goalie
3) Alfredsson + Silfverberg will combine to outscore MacArthur + Ryan no
4) Silfverberg individually will have more points than Bobby Ryan no :(
5) Kyle Palmieri will score more than 25 goals. gently caress
6) Grabovski will spend the bulk of the year, including playoffs, as the third line center in Washington (based on usage / ice time / points) behind Brooks Laich, Nic Backstrom, or someone else. I'll leave it to Washington fans to determine whether or not this is accurate. Nulled in the case of injuries to Grabovski. 12th on the team in ice time, I dunno?
7) Schneider will post a .925 or better save % and start more than 50 games for Jersey. nope, though still possible I guess
8) They still won't make the playoffs. Metro division :lol:
9) Tuuka Rask will win the Vezina. I think this one is probable, though Price has a shot too
10) Phil the Thrill will leave Toronto either at or before the trade deadline, or during free agency next summer. nope
11) Dubnyk will post a .920 or better save % for Edmonton. hahahaha
12) They still won't make the playoffs. got this one at least
13) Sami Vatanen will finish top 3 in Calder voting. nope
14) Milan Michalek and Jason Spezza will combine to play less than 130 games (I know, this one is a real stretch).I think this one is going to be wrong, shockingly
15) Drew Doughty will score 20 or more goals.nope

I better get my money ready, I was wayyyyy off on some of these.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 12, 2014

Grebo
Mar 29, 2012

2015-2016
2016-2017
2017-2018
2018-2019

BRUINS DEFENSE

Grebo posted:

If Tuukka doesn't have at least 5 shutouts* in the regular reason I will get an avatar that whomever posts the next toxx's choosing** and I'll keep it for
the entire playoffs.

*Unless he is injured and ends up playing 66 % of the season or less.

** The avatar has to be workplace safe.

Grebo posted:

Okay, 7 shutouts.
Now I'm going out on a limb.

E: Besides, with my luck I'll probably end up with a Matt Cooke avatar or something :(

Looking good so far.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Zodijackylite posted:

Oh wise Blue Jackets fan, where can I find more recent pictures of sweet prince Brandon Dubinsky?
edit: other than Blue Jackets Xtra

Come getcha some: https://www.google.com/search?q=bra...iw=1024&bih=434

e- May I suggest the O faces from the GWG against Nashville last year which put the CBJ in playoff position on the last day last year?

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Jordan7hm posted:

14) Milan Michalek and Jason Spezza will combine to play less than 130 games (I know, this one is a real stretch).I think this one is going to be wrong, shockingly

I dunno, you might be safe on this one. Spezza's only shown up for 2 or 3 games so far this year...

As for my own:

burf posted:

Since I like the idea of multiple predictions, so I'm doing it too. If 5 or more of the following predictions are incorrect, I will get an avatar of SAS' choosing.

1. Erik Karlsson will finish in the top 3 for Norris voting.
2. Bobby Ryan will score at least 35 goals.
3. Clarke MacArthur will outscore David Clarkson.
4. Spezza will finish top-10 in scoring.
5. Ottawa will finish ahead of Detroit.
6. Winnipeg will finish 4th or higher in the Central division.
7. Yakupov will score at least 30 goals.
8. Canada will not make the 2014 Olympic men's hockey finals.
9. Taylor Hall will outscore John Tavares (gonna hedge this bet by saying in points-per-game, not total points).
10. Toronto and Anaheim will miss the playoffs.

1) He's having a good season, but might not finish top 3.
2) :cool:
3) :cool:
4) Aahahahahahaa
5) Was looking impossible earlier this year, but now it's looking entirely possible.
6) 10 points back. This one ain't happening. drat you, Pavalec.
7) He had such a good rookie season :(
8) Pending!
9) Hall's up to 42-in-41 after a really weak start to the year. Tavares is at 56 in 46. Probably unlikely that Hall catches up, but I still have hope. I should've said "outscore Tavares' PPG from last year", since the point I was going for was that Hall's outscored Tavares in every year of their respective careers, but gets none of the same respect that Tavares gets.
10) Anaheim's already got 73 points, so this one definitely ain't happening.

By my count, 4 of these are already wrong at the halfway point of the season.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

VJeff posted:

During the STL @ DET game on Monday, January 20th, if the entire GDT goes from open to close without a single post regarding "Joe Louis Arena advantage", penalties in the third period, or penalties in general going against the Blues in favor of the Red Wings in a manner that is unfair or in following with some longstanding tradition, I will buy this handsome T.J. Oshie doll and shower it with love and affection and definitely not destroy it the second it arrives. Or if anybody else wants it, I'll just have it sent to them instead

No Blues fans bit, so, I'm workin' on this one. :v:

VJeff posted:

Also, I will write a short essay (250 words each) celebrating the skills and accomplishments of every goaltender who finishes ahead of Jimmy Howard in SV% this year titled "Goalies More Elite Than James Russell Howard III".

He's up to 17th in the league with a .943 in his last seven games, btw.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

VJeff posted:

He's up to 17th in the league with a .943 in his last seven games, btw.

Well, 4000 words *is* less.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Curious season this had been. :shobon:

The Metro is a fickle mistress to Toxxes.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Come getcha some: https://www.google.com/search?q=bra...iw=1024&bih=434

e- May I suggest the O faces from the GWG against Nashville last year which put the CBJ in playoff position on the last day last year?

I found a goldmine. http://bdubinsky.tumblr.com/

vs.
25 points in 35 games | 32 points in 43 games
5 points/last 3 games | 3 points/last 5 games

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 23, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

After the season started and loving the guy to death, I'd come up with a Vinny Prospal Toxx. When it looked like he wasn't going to wind up anywhere as the season progressed, I decided not to post it. For the hell of it given his retirement today:

:toxx: Should Vinny Prospal sign with an NHL team in 2013-14, I will not post any negative, non-constructive comments about the team with which he signs or any player, coach, or GM associated with that team. Failure to comply results in me assuming an avatar of that team's AS' choice.

The fun of this would've been biting my tongue had he signed with a team I didn't like or player I wasn't a fan of (i.e. LA and gently caress Jeff Carter).

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

No you wont. The will of the people will out.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

After the season started and loving the guy to death, I'd come up with a Vinny Prospal Toxx. When it looked like he wasn't going to wind up anywhere as the season progressed, I decided not to post it. For the hell of it given his retirement today:

:toxx: Should Vinny Prospal sign with an NHL team in 2013-14, I will not post any negative, non-constructive comments about the team with which he signs or any player, coach, or GM associated with that team. Failure to comply results in me assuming an avatar of that team's AS' choice.

The fun of this would've been biting my tongue had he signed with a team I didn't like or player I wasn't a fan of (i.e. LA and gently caress Jeff Carter).

That was the shortest toxx ever. Maybe he'll have a change of heart and sign with the Canucks? Lord knows we need him.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Wayne Gretzky posted:

No you wont. The will of the people will out.

Not strictly opposed, I don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Not strictly opposed, I don't think.

whatever the magistrate rules we'll have our justice in the court or in the street

• Locked thread