Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
That Norris voting is poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

It's funny because he's been the best offensive D in hockey this year, is probably going to put two unexceptional rookies in the top 5 for Calder voting, but will still get ignored for no particular reason.

How is he the best offensive D in hockey this year when he trails the leading defenseman by almost 20 points? Even if you're going to the possession stats, his numbers aren't better than Karlsson's.

As for two unexceptional rookies: Palat and Johnson are legitimately good regardless of Victor Hedman, as evidenced by their entire careers up to this point (particularly Johnson, but Palat was close to PPG last year in his second season in the AHL... and they got to play with St. Louis for most of the year).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm sure he meant as a complete package.

Karlsson might be better at pure offense but his defense still sucks no matter how much Sens fans argue.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

Weber needs to win it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Jordan7hm posted:

How is he the best offensive D in hockey this year when he trails the leading defenseman by almost 20 points? Even if you're going to the possession stats, his numbers aren't better than Karlsson's.

Karlsson's entire point advantage comes exclusively from 2nd assists, most of which are on a powerplay where he gets nearly twice as many minutes as Hedman. At even strength, Karlsson accumulate primary points at almost the same rate as Dustin Byfuglien (1.24 and 1.23 per 60 minutes, respectively), a very far cry from the 1.39 per 60 minutes managed by Hedman.

Both Palat and Johnson go from players who post middling possession numbers with more heavily offensive zone starts without Hedman to very strong possession players with more defensive zone starts with Hedman. Without him they likely aren't even thought of as Calder candidates in any length, part of the mass of rookies who come up, are thought of well by their teams fans, but not really noticed by the rest of the league.

Aphrodite posted:

Karlsson might be better at pure offense but his defense still sucks no matter how much Sens fans argue.
I am talking about pure offence this year. Victor Hedman was better.

But then, this is the toxx thread and probably not the place for this discussion.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

Karlsson's entire point advantage comes exclusively from 2nd assists, most of which are on a powerplay where he gets nearly twice as many minutes as Hedman. At even strength, Karlsson accumulate primary points at almost the same rate as Dustin Byfuglien (1.24 and 1.23 per 60 minutes, respectively), a very far cry from the 1.39 per 60 minutes managed by Hedman.

Both Palat and Johnson go from players who post middling possession numbers with more heavily offensive zone starts without Hedman to very strong possession players with more defensive zone starts with Hedman. Without him they likely aren't even thought of as Calder candidates in any length, part of the mass of rookies who come up, are thought of well by their teams fans, but not really noticed by the rest of the league.

Wait, so your argument is that Karlsson's points don't count?

His possession numbers are pretty much identical to Hedman's. His ES scoring is roughly the same, a little bit better. He plays on the PP because he produces on the PP. He plays more ice time because Ottawa sucks, but also because he can mostly handle the minutes. You can't say "well, if X played twice as much they would produce twice as much", because that leads to us claiming that Ryan Stanton is a quality offensive defenseman.

This is seriously a pretty nuts argument. The guy deserves votes, but he isn't better than Karlsson offensively. Hell, he isn't better than Duncan Keith either (your arguments for Hedman are an argument for why Keith is better than Hedman offensively).

As for Palat and Johnson - what are you even arguing? That Hedman's defensive zone starts in some way affected their offensive zone starts? They were second and third in rookie scoring, no poo poo they're going to get votes for the Calder. And anyone who paid attention to Tampa's farm team the last couple years knew that Johnson and Palat had huge potential.

e:

Oh yeah this is the toxx thread. So...

1) Philly will make the playoffs. win
2) New York Islanders will not. win
3) Alfredsson + Silfverberg will combine to outscore MacArthur + Ryan loss
4) Silfverberg individually will have more points than Bobby Ryan loss
5) Kyle Palmieri will score more than 25 goals. loss
6) Grabovski will spend the bulk of the year, including playoffs, as the third line center in Washington (based on usage / ice time / points) behind Brooks Laich, Nic Backstrom, or someone else. I'll leave it to Washington fans to determine whether or not this is accurate. Nulled in the case of injuries to Grabovski. win, and my justification is below
7) Schneider will post a .925 or better save % and start more than 50 games for Jersey. loss, but close
8) They still won't make the playoffs. win
9) Tuuka Rask will win the Vezina. dunno but probably
10) Phil the Thrill will leave Toronto either at or before the trade deadline, or during free agency next summer. loss but i guess possible still
11) Dubnyk will post a .920 or better save % for Edmonton. oh lord
12) They still won't make the playoffs. win
13) Sami Vatanen will finish top 3 in Calder voting. loss
14) Milan Michalek and Jason Spezza will combine to play less than 130 games (I know, this one is a real stretch).... loss
15) Drew Doughty will score 20 or more goals.loss

code:
19.24%	EV	25 CHIMERA,JASON - 84 GRABOVSKI,MIKHAIL - 42 WARD,JOEL
18.13%	EV	20 BROUWER,TROY - 16 FEHR,ERIC - 84 GRABOVSKI,MIKHAIL
10.25%	EV	20 BROUWER,TROY - 84 GRABOVSKI,MIKHAIL - 21 LAICH,BROOKS
Anyway, I lost more than enough to pay up to a charity, so I did that today. Proof below.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 17, 2014

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I have to wonder if correlation is not causation should be mentioned here

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
If the hawks win the cup I'm getting a tattoo somewhere relating to the hawks. If the Blues beat the Hawks and win the cup I'll get an avatar of a Blues fan's choice.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hedman has 2 whole votes now.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

VJeff posted:

It's wonderful. :swoon:

On the NHL.com SV% leaders page, Jimmy Howard ends the season with a .911 SV%, good for 36th place in the league. Hand Knit said he'll arbitrate as to any necessary GP modifiers. I'll accept whatever he decides and post a list of all the goaltenders I'll be writing for when he makes his decision and write the full essay in the offseason.

Should have been "goaltenders who get more shutouts in the Stanley Cup Playoffs than James Russell Howard III".

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Toxx based confusion

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 22, 2014

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I guess I should post this myself so it's "real" or whatever

For every game 7 the Bruins win, I'll donate $50 to a charity of the losing team's posters choosing.

If the Bruins lose a game 7, $100 to a charity of the winning team's posters choosing.

If the Bruins win the cup, $150 to a charity of BAS choosing.

If the Bruins lose in the cup finals, $150 to a charity of the winning team's posters choosing.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Levitate posted:

I mean, maybe Subban was "over voted" to get the Norris last year but :lol: he doesn't even have a single vote for Norris this year. I mean, he still put up 53pts, good for 6th in defenceman scoring.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Ill-advised toxx of the day:

fancy stats posted:

Also, I'm going to post this in the toxx thread when I sober up (and when my heart rate regulates), but if I'm going to buy everyone who posts in these threads a René Bourque avatar if he wins Conn Smythe. Everyone.

Y'all are getting Bork avatars.

I'm going to qualify 'everyone' as the top 100 posters in whichever round Montreal plays in last since there's no way I'm going through thousands of posts to find every single poster.

I may have overstepped myself here, but hell, I figure if Bork manages to win the award, dropping a grand on an internet forum will still be the least absurd thing to have happened during the playoffs.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I mean, maybe Subban was "over voted" to get the Norris last year but :lol: he doesn't even have a single vote for Norris this year. I mean, he still put up 53pts, good for 6th in defenceman scoring.

That's really strange, because normally Montreal guys get a handful of ridiculous homer votes. See: Theodore, Jose.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Went down to Parliament Hill for the Easter celebration on Sunday just before 4.30. Way bigger crowd than I expected. Before long I was feeling hungry. Sauntered towards a friend's place. On the way we stopped at a McD's. It must have been some kind of express version because they didn't have bacon cheeseburgers (closest was a double bacon burger, which I was in no mood for). Decided on a whim to get 9 cheese burgers with only double mayo and double red onions. The young woman that took my order seemed bemused and entertained by my order but said little. After paying, waiting a bit, and watching the line grow behind me, the manager grabbed my attention. Apparently you have to pay extra for red onions, and this pimple-faced squirt wasn't letting onions go free on his watch. Normally I would have negotiated my way out of it but for some reason I wasn't in any state of mind to argue. Somehow I ended up with 9 burgers with nothing but cheese, double mayo, and pickles (more specifically, a single pickle slice on each sandwich). I then realised that I had offered to help a friend move at 6, so I spent the next hour or so walking with my friend Graham and eating burgers. I neglected to get a drink (again, really forgetful for some reason) and soon realised that my choice of meal was both dry and salty. After about 5 burgs I arrived and promptly put my eating on hold to bring a couch, table, chairs, and various other apartment things up two flights of stairs. We were invited to stay for some wine and, thankfully, water. With a few glasses of each I managed another two burgers. On the walk home I couldn't bring myself to eat another bite. Once home, about 8-830 at this point, I poured a large glass of water, more wine, and got to the task. I adopted the strategy of ketchup and folding for the last two (they had become drier and the mayo and chesses was congealing). Likely thanks to not having eaten anything else all day (and some Easter magic) I managed to keep all 9 down. Unfortunately, my cell phone camera corrupted all my pics throughout the day and all I can offer for proof is some wrappers. Not an experience I'm eager to repeat.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

"Unfortunately, my cell phone camera corrupted all my pics"

Likely story. Do it again and stream it on ustream or something.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Uhh, yeah... you guys, poo poo... my phone broke all the pictures but I definitely did NOT throw away a bunch of $1 cheeseburgers and make up a story

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Was it the McDonald's across from the Rideau mall? Lotta weirdos hang out there :pwn:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fateo McMurray posted:

Or just show your phone is a Samsung.

Either way's good.

If anyone else is doing a toxx that require photographic documentation you better have that iCloud/Google Drive backup enabled.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Fateo McMurray posted:

Come on guys, he lives in Ottawa I think that's punishment enough.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I dunno, I've had a few different camera phones over the last 10 years and my pictures have never gotten corrupted. Hasn't happened to me, therefor it cannot happen and is a lie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think as compensation you should have to eat 9 burgers again, but waive the ingredients rule.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Aphrodite posted:

I think as compensation you should have to eat 9 burgers again, but waive the ingredients rule.

Film it, LA Beast style.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Parachute Underwear posted:

Was it the McDonald's across from the Rideau mall? Lotta weirdos hang out there :pwn:

Nah, it was the one on Elgin and Somerset. To clarify, I had just installed cyanogenmod on my Samsung phone and needed a camera app. I was fiddling with Focal and accidentally put it on sphere pic mode (which apparently just takes blank grey pics). I wasn't in a clear enough state of mind to realise the mistake until it was too late.

Anyway, I've got a letter to write to the Vancouver Hockey Club about their coaching wisdom. Be back soon.

e: also, I eat McPoison about once a year on a road trip and will not be doing another 9. It was about as disgusting as I could have imagined.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'll settle for eating a bunch of onions covered in mayo.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If there are no pictures, it didn't happen. Crumpled up wrappers don't mean anything.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
No it totally happened, didn't you read the story? There was even a picture at the end. Totally legit. Too bad about his phone destroying all the pictures of this event except the one of the wrappers. I bet it destroyed the youtube video he said he was going to post too.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I am disappointed, JoelJoel! You have disappointed a person on the internet!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
JoelJoel gonna get cyber bullied so hard.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
There is no receipt either this guy is a fraud

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm so angry I could rage eat 9 burgers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay I did it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Okay I did it.

In two minutes??? I'll at least need an out of focus picture of some trash to prove that this is true.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Can I do it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

In two minutes??? I'll at least need an out of focus picture of some trash to prove that this is true.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I bet he just fished those wrappers out of the trash!

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
No lie, from my phone it looked like a picture of the 9 weed nugs he smoked instead and thought this was the wrong thread for a minute

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
Bad toxx! Bad toxx! How can I enjoy your sadness if you don't immortalize it in pictures!!!!???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?

Parachute Underwear posted:

No lie, from my phone it looked like a picture of the 9 weed nugs he smoked instead and thought this was the wrong thread for a minute

I've bought weed from a McDonalds in Ottawa, I forget which one it was but theres just a shitload of sketchy people all around it.

• Locked thread