Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Are you so sure about your hockey insight that you're willing to put your money (or dignity) on the line? Do you have no faith in your opinion but want to gamble for the hell of it? Well, this is the thread you're looking for. You can either toxx yourself for some event or achievement this year or bet against another poster. Forums poster The Prisoner has led the way, placing this wager on Scott Gomez:

The Prisoner posted:

If Scott Gomez doesn't hit 40 points total for the 2013-14 season I'd be more than happy to change my username and avatar to a Scott Gomez joke of your choosing.

So go ahead and have some fun. Bet your avatar against the Leafs making the playoffs. Offer to pay $1 to charity for every minute Paul Bissonnette plays this season. Promise to buy the jersey of whichever of Teemu or Jagr scores more goals this year. I'll record your bets and check back at the end of the season.*

*I reserve the right to put the kibosh on anything too gimmicky/disruptive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

I am going to make ten predictions, and the toxx clause will come into effect if less than half of these do not happen.

This is a good idea. I like it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

If five or more of my predictions are correct, the toxx will not come into effect.

Now you are confusing me even more. I have re-read my sentence ten times since you posted and my head is spinning.

I understand what you intended and I understand that you intended that I understand what you intended, so we're good.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

AboveAndBeyond posted:

^^ yeah, matt cooke pony-tar

Incorrect.

MassaShowtime posted:

This toxx is in honour of Ladislav Smid's one year wedding anniversary and the fact that he hopefully will no longer steal cheerios from the unsuspecting roomates of the women of Edmonton that Ladi once made love to.

Should Ladislav Smid fail to set a new career high in points with 16, I will mail a box of cheerios to a fan of each team that was lousy enough to let Ladi score. So should he score 8 points, 8 goons will receive a box of cheerios in the mail.

This is brilliant.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

T-Bone posted:

Too early for Olympic toxxes?

We'll have a dedicated subforum when that comes around and we'll probably deal with that then.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

WouldDeskToo posted:

So glad I signed up again just in time! I am the original WouldDesk but got locked out of my account and I can't log in or recover my password. I have sent the admins multiple emails with no replies. Basically the progress has been about as productive as the Canucks attempts to win something other than the Presidents Trophy. Is Marty still around and available to assist me in recovering my err, good(?) name so I can do something else ridiculous with the likes of Bo Horvat again? So glad to be back.

Marty's not around anymore, no. But, if you put forward a good bet, maybe you can win your old account name back.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

WouldDeskToo posted:

Ruh Roh... not around as in "he is fine his girlfriend made him stop SA" or not around as in "took a ride in a Ferrari with Dany Heatley?"

Please don't derail the thread. Would you like to attempt to win your old account name back or not?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Verviticus posted:

do i get a prize other than not dying if i win my toxx

Both bets are effectively the same: if you win you have your identity, and if you lose it is gone forever.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

At the end of the season, I will serve as arbiter.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Wayne Gretzky posted:

No you wont. The will of the people will out.

Not strictly opposed, I don't think.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

4. Do I really have to wait for the results? Yes.

I mean he should be a favourite but this isn't actually looking so hot right now.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

There are a handful of guys who I think could share the the votes this year. Hedman is one of those guys. Luckily, I only said he needed one vote.

Apparently going to the Olympics matters. Ask Doughty.

It's funny because he's been the best offensive D in hockey this year, is probably going to put two unexceptional rookies in the top 5 for Calder voting, but will still get ignored for no particular reason.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

How is he the best offensive D in hockey this year when he trails the leading defenseman by almost 20 points? Even if you're going to the possession stats, his numbers aren't better than Karlsson's.

Karlsson's entire point advantage comes exclusively from 2nd assists, most of which are on a powerplay where he gets nearly twice as many minutes as Hedman. At even strength, Karlsson accumulate primary points at almost the same rate as Dustin Byfuglien (1.24 and 1.23 per 60 minutes, respectively), a very far cry from the 1.39 per 60 minutes managed by Hedman.

Both Palat and Johnson go from players who post middling possession numbers with more heavily offensive zone starts without Hedman to very strong possession players with more defensive zone starts with Hedman. Without him they likely aren't even thought of as Calder candidates in any length, part of the mass of rookies who come up, are thought of well by their teams fans, but not really noticed by the rest of the league.

Aphrodite posted:

Karlsson might be better at pure offense but his defense still sucks no matter how much Sens fans argue.
I am talking about pure offence this year. Victor Hedman was better.

But then, this is the toxx thread and probably not the place for this discussion.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I don't have the avatar-making skills of Marty, but if you could make it work there's also this one:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

burf posted:

Fabio Phil it is.

e: what have i done :(

Something noble.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Someone already has that, don't they?

Rutkowski has one that's slightly different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

HOW COULD YOU posted:

damnit i really like that one

It's still good and different. With the right text, it could be great. Besides, there's nothing wrong with more PK avatars.

• Locked thread