Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
My Weedcat fan art as promised to VS.
Thanks for the cam~! <3
(Please let me know if you need the better quality version, VS)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Phaena posted:

Thanks for the cam~! <3

Thia is absolutely, completely, utterly awesome and wonderful--thank you! :neckbeard:

Hey, Cam can be court jester! He just needs a little goofy purple and green jester hat with bells and a silly skirt. This isn't a request, though.*

*OK, yes it totally is.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 13, 2014

Joanna
Jul 16, 2013

Phaena posted:

Thanks for the cam~! <3

This... is... utterly FANTASTIC. So like him too! Aaah and your drawing skills, Phaena, just terrific. :love:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Phaena posted:

Thanks for the cam~! <3

What a good Weedcat :kimchi: So noble! So fluffy! :3:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Phaena posted:

Thanks for the cam~! <3

Where would one go to purchase this fine Fan Art? Is this question alright to ask here in SA?

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
Aw, thanks everyone! :blush:
As for purchasing, I plan to hand over the print-ready artwork to VS and let her do as she sees fit with it. :3

As for the Cam-Jester, I'll see what I can do with that when I get the chance to. ahahaha~

Phaena fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 14, 2014

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

^^^^ phaena, if you want to set up something on Printfection.com or something for your artwork, go for it! That's how I got my 'Viva la Peep!' goodies with pokute's artwork: http://www.printfection.com/vivalapeep

Welp... I know it's Saturday and SHOULD be Chickam day...

...but a combination of 100+ degree temps/afternoon thunderstorms endangering outdoor computers, emergency family upheavals (and resultant last-minute air travel/drama/hospital bullshit/elder care setup taking days) and major yard work commencing this weekend have made our schedule uncertain at best. I'm really sorry, I'll try to at least get pictures of this year's chicks as an update for now. Just too many irons in the fire at the moment. :smith:

Also, piscesbobbie, THANK YOU! Watermelon and frozen chicken treats all around! :neckbeard:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

^^^^ phaena, if you want to set up something on Printfection.com or something for your artwork, go for it! That's how I got my 'Viva la Peep!' goodies with pokute's artwork: http://www.printfection.com/vivalapeep

...but a combination of 100+ degree temps/afternoon thunderstorms endangering outdoor computers, emergency family upheavals (and resultant last-minute air travel/drama/hospital bullshit/elder care setup taking days) and major yard work commencing this weekend have made our schedule uncertain at best. I'm really sorry, I'll try to at least get pictures of this year's chicks as an update for now. Just too many irons in the fire at the moment. :smith:

Also, piscesbobbie, THANK YOU! Watermelon and frozen chicken treats all around! :neckbeard:

so sorry about all your bad news....on top of the freakin' HOT weather! Elderly issues are TOUGH to deal with... I couldn't help but think of you 'all (chickens included) with the HEAT, it was my pleasure after all you have done for me with your chicks, chickens, and broadcasting :) I still am in denial.... Cowbell MUST be a girl! Hope all goes well and look forward to new pictures!

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Aw. No need to apologize! You are doing something nice for all of us (and the other people who watch Chickam), and I'm sure we all understand that life gets in the way.

Sorry that you're having so many life hurdles. Figuring out elder care from a distance must be a real beast. I hope the heat breaks soon, and I'm looking forward to seeing the yard improvements.

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
Not a problem VS, you do what you have to do!! Being able to watch the cam, for me anyway, is always a bonus! Hope things have eased off for you now. (How's the back?)

As for the shirts & stuff, my husband and I actually have a zazzle store.
However, if you're up to it, I'd rather you run your own store (and make the money to keep for yourself!)
When you've created your store, we can find out which is the preferred file-type and send that file to you.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chickam is up & running on the flock!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

I take it back.

The heat fried the computer, it's just too hot to run the cam, sorry. :(

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Sorry that the computer got over-heated. I hope it's not too expensive or time-consuming to repair. I guess you need to establish a workable temperature for the Chickam cam to run. Anything over a certain temperature is a no-go.

Thanks for trying though!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

DANG! I HATE summer! Darn it VS, hope it's not too bad, the computer that is. Any update on the roo situation? How are the yard renovations going?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

I'm about to plug in the computer and start it to see if it was a catastrophic kill or not.

No further news on the rooboy situation, although ONE of them was doing some 5:30AM crowing this morning...I suspect Frosty or Notta. The major yard cleanup is DONE--juniper stumps ripped out using some chain and a dually truck (watching it spin it's rear wheels and throw dirt to yank the things was highly entertaining), huge juniper branch pile & assorted debri gone (6 truckloads) and trees trimmed. The two guys we hired worked their asses off for two days in 100+ degree weather with thunderstorms threatening so it was good and humid, too. Yecchhh...

DIE, YOU FUCKER!

The happiest sight on Earth: Junipers forcibly ripped from the ground and carted off to the wood chipper. What's in this picture is only three plants, they were *so* laughably huge. SO glad we came to our senses and stopped trying to dig these things out ourselves. These are just the stumps, BTW, we'd already chainsawed off the branches so there was only about 1-2 feet showing above ground.

We are going to see about dragging the property for weeds/rocks ourselves using the Jeep, some heavy chain and a chunk of railroad tie. Failing that I have a blowtorch I might use to torch the weeds, weather & fire department permitting. New fencing gets installed sometime between now and the first part of August!

Immediately after that we'll have some good-sized shrubs and trees planted and will possibly put up some netting or shade cloth for temporary cover for the chickens from hawks until the plants get established. If it still isn't winter at that point, it's sprinkler repair & lawn seeding time.

Our lives are plotted out for the next few months...

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 12, 2014

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

;_; I want to adopt one of your roo boys VS but I'm not allowed to get more chickens! I should start a kickstarter so internet people buy me a house with a huge fenced yard so I can have all the chickens ever :saddowns:

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
Got the cam up and running. Let's see how long it lasts.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

YAY! What a treat! :worship:

edit: WOW, a long day of broadcasting. Thank you VS and 12String!

edit#2 How many hens are in with Cam? Are all the 2014 cockerels in with Weedcat?

Thank you!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 14, 2014

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Hey, no thunderstorms for the first time in like 5 days! The cam is running! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

We'll have to play it by ear this afternoon--that's typically when the thunderheads build and things go to Hell. I'll pass out some corn around 2PM.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Hey! Hopefully this Saturday's Chickam will be an extra-special one--the chain link fencing of our property is underway and should be completed by then, so the chickens will be released out into the yard for the first time since we moved here!

We'll still have landscaping to go so the chicken yard isn't pretty, but we are planning to have some sort of cover up to protect them from hawks and avoid on-camera instant flock reductions. :pwn:

If all goes well we'll set out the cam, start it, and then let some very confused chickens out. Expect much running and flapping. :woop:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Hey! Hopefully this Saturday's Chickam will be an extra-special one--the chain link fencing of our property is underway and should be completed by then, so the chickens will be released out into the yard for the first time since we moved here!

We'll still have landscaping to go so the chicken yard isn't pretty, but we are planning to have some sort of cover up to protect them from hawks and avoid on-camera instant flock reductions. :pwn:

If all goes well we'll set out the cam, start it, and then let some very confused chickens out. Expect much running and flapping. :woop:

HOORAY! I have missed you! How is Cowbell/Cowboy, do you still have all the roo-boys?

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013
Have they settled on a new Head Hen, yet? Or will the larger run of the yard cause a power struggle?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Our weather has been solid thunderstorms with lightning, hail and heavy rain (and flooding) the last few weeks, so we haven't been able to run the cam.

Cowbell, BadMrFrosty, Buzzard, Pie, Jellybean, Alice and Pumpkin are all still with us. The other 6 rooboys were rehomed last month. Time will tell if the boys we kept that we are SURE are boys--Frosty and Buzzard--can stay. Cowbell is being mysterious and not showing roosign, even though Cowbell crowed once or twice (I loving SAW HIM do it) while he was in the brooder box. Could just be a crowing hen. Also, it's now clear that Buzzard has Bloop for a daddy and Rose for a mama.

The Head Hen spot is still open, I expect that after they have the run of the yard things will shake out and a new Head Hen will emerge. Right now it's looking like it's Bug--she is bossing the others around and pecking other hens. But we'll see. The new, larger space should at first cause a lot of confusion--it'll be new territory for all so it will be an even playing field.

A lot of the chickens are looking ragged--there has been some irritable feather pulling and molting going on lately. Pele looks like 40 miles of bad road.

Also, Picky, our 10 year old banty hen mix, is crowing. :keke: Confusing the Hell outta the boys.

VVVV Love it when the old ladies troll the easily-excitable rooboys & freak 'em out. :)

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 14, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You have genderqueer ambisexual chickens, that's awesome.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

[quote="Velvet Sparrow" post="433495262"]
Also, it's now clear that Buzzard has Bloop for a daddy and Rose for a mama.

WOW! Bloop! Perhaps Rose didn't even notice Bloop was there after being accosted by the Big Guys! Do they (Bloop and Rose) have a secret relationship going on? I miss the drama! ahahaha

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Was Ribbit a boy or did he/she keel over (ie: Fluffy stop naming chickens)?

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
Do you have any pics of Wampus, Jerk, Notta, Ratchet, Patches, Ribbit before they were re-homed?
I miss the fluffiness...

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

I took pics of all of this year's chicks about two weeks ago, I'll post them soon.

:siren:In other news, THE FENCING IS DONE! Tomorrow at 8AM (PST) when we start the cam, we will open the run door at the same time and release the chickens into the yard for the first time since we moved here 2 1/2 years ago! :woop: :siren:

They know something is up, they are restless and pacing. 'Hey, fence is done, let us OUT!'

There isn't much in the way of landscaping yet so it's pretty much boring dirt, but they'll have a big area to play in. And we either need to sit out there with them or put up some temporary bird netting to guard against hawks. We'll be shopping for trees & shrubs in the next few days, gotta line up my landscaping guy so he can get his backhoe out here to plant them, also arrange to have topsoil delivered since there is no viable dirt in our dirt. :suicide:

Meanwhile, BadMrFrosty says Hi!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

:siren:[b]In other news, THE FENCING IS DONE!

Meanwhile, BadMrFrosty says Hi!

Hi VS: Glad to hear that you've finally got the fencing up. I bet that when the topsoil is finally put out, that the chickens will go crazy digging for goodies in the fresh dirt.

BadMrFrosty is GORGEOUS! I particularly love his fluffy face feathers. :3:

Looking forward to the pics you plan to post!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Gettin' the cam set up, it will start shortly! Since there is no landscaping yet, we have several little hidey spots set up for the chickens to duck under if a hawk shows up, also the runs well be open all day.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

,,,and they're out! :woop:

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
...and I missed the cam because I was out all day. :(

But yay! Hello Frosty~!! Look at you with that frosty beard~!

Looking forward to the pics!! I miss them lots! :h:

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Phaena posted:

...and I missed the cam because I was out all day. :(

But yay! Hello Frosty~!! Look at you with that frosty beard~!

Looking forward to the pics!! I miss them lots! :h:

I could only tune in for a little bit, but what I saw was a lot of chickens hiding out in the run. I guess the big yard was scary. :3:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Thank you for the show VS and 12String! That was so much fun! Hope you will be able to do it again and hope the chickens are getting used to their wide open space!

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013

LoreOfSerpents posted:

I could only tune in for a little bit, but what I saw was a lot of chickens hiding out in the run. I guess the big yard was scary. :3:

hahaha...aww... Thanks for that update! I bet Weeds was one of the ones hiding!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

CHICKAM VIDEO TIME!

First time out in the big, scary yard for the chooks. Saturday, August 16, 2014.

VS and 12_String (with help from The Kid) have finally gotten the backyard cleaned up and a new fence has been erected. The chickens are very cautious about checking out the yard.

VS, who was it who first stuck their head out of the doorway?

Sora (the white hen) was the first to break away from the flock and go out into the yard.

http://youtu.be/3ykQ0m-jRhE

Sorry that the video cropping is sort of wonky. I was trying to zoom in and I don't think it worked.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dang I hadn't really realized how many chickens you guys have until now. You must have at least 20? I bet you get at least a dozen eggs a day. I hope you like quiche...

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

^^^ VS and 12_String have nearly 50 chickens!!!

Chickam Video! Chicken chases!

VS, can you tell who is chasing who? There seems to suddenly be 2 or 3 different chases going on. And what was the big crash? Sounded like someone running into the door or hitting the side of the run?

And who comes to the rescue at the very end of the video? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU2OV73UWGE

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

In the first vid it looks like it was Pompadour who politely stuck her head out to eat but was officiallly keeping the rest of her body in the run. It took them a while to realize that it was now OK to go out. Now when we open the run they come out much more freely. I give them another week or so before they are running out with leaping/flapping. This year's youngsters are running and flapping during the day a bit.

In the second vid, it's later in the day and it's cooled off, so they are perkier. That's Cam chasing & catching Baby at 1:38, and Frosty chasing Alice at 1:44 while Weedcat objects. I don't know what you mean by someone coming to the rescue, I didn't see it. They routinely crash into the wire and cause big booming noises, it sounds a lot worse than it is, they don't get hurt. :)

Current chicken count: 45, including the youngsters we kept from this year's hatch. Although I keep telling Frosty that if he bites me one more time, I've got a hatchet and can make it 44 1/2 chickens...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Inveigle THANK YOU for posting those videos! Those poor hens in video #2, running from the boys... awwwww.

• Locked thread