Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me

Woden posted:

I get the missing graphics thing a lot and have had it for like two years, it has gotten a lot worse recently though and I have read that some(all?) people can't see elec traps or the fencing on the bridge in harbor. Usually relogging fixes missing mobs and trees and the like for me, at least for a few hours when it'll invariably happen again.

As for Restless Isles, tried to do an at level Titan elite the other day where the boss was immune to the laser and when we dropped a pillar 2 would drop at once.

Yeah, I did Fleshmaker's Lab within the last week a couple of times, and nobody could see the electrical jolt things you have to dodge when turning the power off. Was really frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006

DemonMage posted:

This has happened regularly since the raid went into the game. It's a big part of why it's never really been a popular raid.
I've done about 30 titans and have seen the laser screw up a few times but the double pillar thing was new to me.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Well, I decided to look at all my old characters. Bortalina was easy to fix, but the others, :psyduck:

List of things to unfuck if I ever get around to it:
1 Fighter/13 Rogue/6 Monk (Level numbers probably off somewhat, I made it a year ago and it wasn't finished) - Was originally going to be a strength-based quarterstaff build focused on cleaving. Now I have no idea what the gently caress.
2 Fighter/18 Cleric - Also not finished, but the free hearts will mean I have an opportunity to unfuck him, as he was a two-handed fighting battle cleric.
2 Monk/18 FvS - Half-elf with scimitars. Will probably just make it a casting FvS and be done with it.
20 Monk - Was going to be a wisdom based Shintao monk with assloads of AC. No idea how to go about this now. Probably not going all-in on Shintao anymore though, since the only things I liked in it were the DR bypasses and we're not locked into a single tree anymore.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Meanwhile, Grombles the Barbarian, after getting to play with more enchantments, tried to go for enhantments which would give him survivability without a cleric on his rear end 24/7.

The dream died again. Its fun until I run out of hit points and hey guess what, 100hp for 1 con is a pretty sweet deal until you realize its capped at +100 and things are going to one shot you anyways. Meanwhile Bortalinia did everything I could do, especially the not dying bit. gently caress wizards.

This would probably work better if I had epic destinies.

e: Then I log back into my warforged sorcerer oh look I can fully heal myself. I can in fact do it 60 times before I run out of mana. With absolute garbage gear. :argh: Guild Wars 2 spoiled me.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 5, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Barbarians are by far the hardest one to make survivable. Cocoon from epic destinies can help a decent amount, but there's not a whole lot you can do when Rage locks out a lot of your good healing options. Silver Flame potions work but are expensive and mildly annoying to unlock. That's why lots of people are planning to use their free +20 heart to LR into a barbarian and then TR so you can completely skip that life.

Woden
May 6, 2006
What charges up master blitz? Trip, cleave, g. cleave, supreme cleave, whirlwind and sunder I know work but what about sap or hamstring? And can you just spam sap/hammy on nothing like the others to charge it up before entering the quest?

Don't really want to waste flawless sibs shards, days worth of swapping and a few 100k plat testing if someone here knows the answer.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
So apparently there is some thing with TRing and ED's and a specific quest zone that has been around for like a year. I don't know much more but I have been in a few groups with people who clearly did. Does anyone know more about this? Sure would be handy for my next life.

Woden
May 6, 2006
No idea how that works, having primal scream, cocoon and energy burst would be uber for melee TRs though.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah I've heard of it a few times and Haggis has been in a group or two with people abusing it, but I've never been able to find out how it's done.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Check out the power of the acrobat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZhYWbJA8v0

I honestly think Sireth is the best DPS weapon in the game right now, for a THF toon anyway.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I really wish I'd gotten a Sireth =-( Neither Valisti nor I managed to get one, she's got two Celestia at least though. I don't know if I can stomach grinding out CitW for one either. They're super neat, and it's good there's more viable uses for them now. I imagine a Cleaver/Breach with a centered build would be pretty drat solid too. What are you using for twists? Cocoon, Dance with Flowers and Meld Into Darkness?

Woden
May 6, 2006
That's a friends build, cocoon, meld and grim precision. Personally I've been really digging Shadowdancer, haven't capped or geared up yet so haven't bothered trying to solo EEs.

Cleaver is still pretty good but then you're locked in to 8 fighter levels and honestly not a huge fan of fighters Breach though I don't think is very good. It's a much worse eSoS but you get the planar conflux to try and make up for it, there's lootgen trinkets now so I don't see much going for it.

Woden fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 9, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Breach got upgraded a long time ago, it's basically the same thing as Cleaver now, especially if you're not in Dreadnaught (which is a huge pain in the rear end to use if you're not solo).

Breach: 2.5[2d6], 30%/x2, +7, 2d6 sonic (->3d6), disintegration proc, 6% doublestrike, shatter +10
Cleaver: 2.5[2d8], 10%/x3, +7, 2d8 bleed (->3d8), limb chopper proc, 6% doublestrike, improved cursespewing

So you lose 2 base damage, 2-3 special damage, have a damage instead of a CC proc. Not really sure how much damage improved cursespewing adds, I'd imagine it doesn't keep up very easily with only on-vorpal application.

I'm not sure what kind of new trinkets you can get with the expansion that are worth giving up 4 hit/damage and especially 15 PRR, that's a ton of damage mitigation to give up. But if you can actually take advantage of Dreadnaught then Cleaver takes a step ahead due to Headsman's Chop. Breach also has the aesthetic advantage =-p

[Edit] Also if you don't have an ESoS already it's not remotely worth getting, so it's barely worth even considering. Too much effort for something that's barely more damage than CitW under the best circumstances and gives up a pretty substantial chunk of survivability. It's cool for levels 20-23, but eh I'd rather just use an Epic Antique Greataxe or Epic Greataxe of Fire than farm for an ESoS these days.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 9, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006
Blitz isn't that hard to keep up in tough EEs as the rest of the group wont be killing all that fast anyway, and the mob density of the new stuff is pretty high.

Dropping planar focus is mainly so you can get better tactics and/or saves, LotD is alright now as divine might adds cha mod to str, lootgen can net you a green and colorless slot as well as a +11 in a stat and 20 skill. Lootgen trinkets seem very rare though and as you say 15 PRR is pretty good, so probably a moot point for all but the hardest of hardcore players. Not sure what else is possible in trinkets as I've only seen a couple.

eSoS isn't worth farming really, and hasn't been for a long time. But it exsists in a weird place ATM, does slightly less DPS than Cleaver but Cleaver costs you 2 more AP and a trinket slot. Breach doesn't cost AP but you're still down a trinket slot(for better or worse) and doing less damage than either of those.

I have two toons with eSoSs and they're just rotting in the bank, Sireth on acrobat and Cleaver on pally. Both have LotDs, but you're right 15 PRR is just too tasty for me to give up. Kind of a shame too because out of all the good two handers I like the look of the SoS most.

Woden fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 9, 2013

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski
Is the game situation better on some servers than others? I play on Ghallanda and I have this unwelcome ghost town vibe. The only people I ever see playing are people who are going to stop at level 6 when the "Paywall" feeling kicks in, or people on their 8th life and are rushing through everything and get mad at your lowly first life having trouble keeping up.

Which is awful because I do sincerely like the game and want to keep playing it. :(

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Least I heard Ghallanda is the only server to have less people on it than it did pre-expansion, and it's always been one of the more dead ones. That and Wayfinder, which is a newer server and has an experience bonus. Argo has always been one of the more populated ones. It's 3am now and there's 9 LFMs up, which is on the lower side but it's also 3am.

That said I have no experience doing the random LFM thing outside of raids really. We always duo and then any guildmates who want to join are welcome to, it's been years since we've bothered to do a non-raid LFM.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Cannith is just as dead, 11 LFMs and 4 of those are broken.

I pug a fair bit still on TRs as it's the best way to meet new people, see weird builds in action and maybe find out a new way to do a quest. It's also way less boring than solo and less stressful than a lot of TR trains.

Edit: But yeah it's the same thing, TR zergs and a tiny amount of first lifers. I think the Iconic thing might be an issue too for low level new people.

Woden fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 11, 2013

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Just last night I was thinking about all the servers I see on login and wondering how different each one was. Is there ever any talk on the forums about merging them together? Was there ever a difference between them or was there just once a need to have multiples due to popularity? (hah)

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
They actually did a merge a long time ago. There used to be twice as many servers.

And yeah, there's talk on the forums of doing a merge, but not from anyone official. Would probably make sense, based on how things seem to be now compared to a year ago.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Khyber and Argo both seem to have pretty decent populations on. It's not always the easiest to find the exact questchain you want to do on khyber, but there are usually at least 2 or more LFMs up for whatever level you're at currently. Obviously fewer at non-peak hours for NA, but you can still find stuff going on.

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!
The main problem I have with LFMs on argo is that they generally advertise quests on normal (as opposed to elite) and/or they are usually put up by people who are one level underleveled for the the quest. It is more of a pet peeve from the days when we still had to manage our XP gains but it annoys the gently caress out of me nonetheless.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Sarlona's pretty much where it was a year (or two) ago - sort of middling, with what looks like a lot of LFMs up (30-40 during peak) but nearly everyone TRing, the occasional Caught in the Web or on level lower level raid, loot farming, and no one running Shroud (?!?!).

edit: Everyone wants to run elite in the LFM list. Whether or not they can handle it (usually not).

Noricae fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 11, 2013

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Game_Whino posted:

The main problem I have with LFMs on argo is that they generally advertise quests on normal (as opposed to elite) and/or they are usually put up by people who are one level underleveled for the the quest. It is more of a pet peeve from the days when we still had to manage our XP gains but it annoys the gently caress out of me nonetheless.
Yeah I'm in the boat of seeing way too many normal dungeons and it sucks. I've got a great elite streak from playing with friends a while back and I don't want to trash it for the awful XP of normal, but the pubbies...

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Noricae posted:

edit: Everyone wants to run elite in the LFM list. Whether or not they can handle it (usually not).

Yeah I love seeing this in the LFM. Quest two levels above their level on Elite, in progress, but oh we need a healer and tank! Adventure Active: 75 minutes. For Deleras 2 (or whatever).

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Haha, I forgot the adventure active part. That's always 40minutes in or more too. Reasons my cleric is always anonymous.

As if 3 more nincompoops joining the group will make it easier.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Soooo yeah.. Cacoon at level 1, pretty loving hilarious. It is to bad that Cordovan finally acknowledged this bug yesterday, after over a year of its existence. Feather said they fixed the cannith bug too, but he was referring to master crafting not working so I am wondering if he didn't even know about the ml1 thing, and if there is any chance that will survive the imminent patch.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

They should really make twists at level 1 a feature, not a bug =-( Daggers, Cocoon and Fey Form are pretty hilarious. Some of the other ones would still be pretty awesome, just not super overpowered since they scale off Character level. Then again I'm all for overpowering the game with poo poo you've earned (remove MLs for BTC poo poo in particular).

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!

Fenris13 posted:

Soooo yeah.. Cacoon at level 1, pretty loving hilarious. It is to bad that Cordovan finally acknowledged this bug yesterday, after over a year of its existence. Feather said they fixed the cannith bug too, but he was referring to master crafting not working so I am wondering if he didn't even know about the ml1 thing, and if there is any chance that will survive the imminent patch.

So how does it work? (feel free to PM it to me) Did it have to do with having that twist swapping ability in fatesinger active?

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Boulders and primal scream are also really really good at low levels. I also fully agree that they should remove the ML, or massivly lower them, from BTC items once they are bound. A huge appeal of DDO, D&D in general, is hoarding power.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Man the new enhancements are so fun. Level 6 cleric you can have: Nimbus of Light (2sp), Searing Light (4sp), and Holy Smite (7sp) SLAs (with Max, Empower and Quicken on them), as well as Sun Bolt (1d8 lightning bolt) added as a level 3 spell. As well as 100~ light spellpower to use on those.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Yeah, the new enhancement system is pretty awesome. I only had limited experience with the old one, but this is just so much nicer.

Woden
May 6, 2006
There's still a lot of wasted APs though, that was one thing I really hoped would go away. Can't justify 11 AP in Mechanic for scroll mastery 3 or 17 in human for healing amp tier 3. I also had to burn a few points in Henshin just to unlock the good stuff but Shintao and Acrobat seem fine.

And are respecs buggy or something and not reseting costs over time? It'll cost me 112k to reset one tree and the price kept going up as I leveled, don't think I've touched that tree in almost 2 weeks. Resetting all trees will cost me over 1 mill, it has to be bugged right?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I dunno about being globally bugged, but yours are bugged yeah. Full reset at fully decayed cost is trivial really. And it decays every day, it's just like destinies.

And they're not always wasted points. Human healing amp 3 has always been hideously expensive, and you get some pretty cool stuff spending enough points to get it. Scroll mastery thing is more of a problem of not having a generic class tree, there's some abilities that could really benefit from that.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Well it was what, 10 AP before for tier 3 and 6 AP for tier 2? It's 17 now for tier 3 and 12 for tier 2.

I don't need skill buffs, don't have a dragonmark, none of the weapon styles benefit staves so that just leaves stat buffs while boosting and don't count me out. The stat buffs would be alright if I could get more than 5 per boosts rest, I could probably twist in +3 boosts but still not really sold on it. And don't count me out would be alright if the PRR was higher but as is it's pretty sad.

Edit: oh and the paladin enhancements are all pretty hilarious. Tier 1 KotC: extra remove disease(need 6pally levels to use this crap ability) divine light/extra turning(need 4 pally levels to turn), extra smite and attack boost. So only one of them is good and only 2 are actually usable til you hit level 4 or 6.

Tier 2: divine might, can take at level 2 but can't use til level 4, improved turning same prob(it's also poo poo), rally(garbage), extra smite and dmg boost. So three things that work at that level and only two are useful.

Defender Tree is similar, get all these buffs to stances in tiers 1-3 but don't actually get the stance til pally level 6.

Woden fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 12, 2013

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

After farting around in Neverwinter for way too long, I've convinced my girl that playing DDO is a much better D&D experience. Of course, I know it's much more unforgiving when it comes to builds, and I have no experience playing any healer-type class so I don't want to give her my poo poo input. What suggestions would you guys have for a build that can do some decent healing while we level while still being able to dish out damage and not crumple like wet cardboard the second I turn a corner and she's still fighting things? (no sense thinking too much about EDs at this point, just something fun)

I was trying to come up with some neat ranged multiclass build but I don't really know what synergizes well and I'm sure it will be utter garbage if I try and 'theorycraft' something. Something without a ridiculously complex series of abilities would be great, because when she saw my wizard's seven hotbars she got afraid of the game.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack

Richard M Nixon posted:

After farting around in Neverwinter for way too long, I've convinced my girl that playing DDO is a much better D&D experience. Of course, I know it's much more unforgiving when it comes to builds, and I have no experience playing any healer-type class so I don't want to give her my poo poo input. What suggestions would you guys have for a build that can do some decent healing while we level while still being able to dish out damage and not crumple like wet cardboard the second I turn a corner and she's still fighting things? (no sense thinking too much about EDs at this point, just something fun)

I was trying to come up with some neat ranged multiclass build but I don't really know what synergizes well and I'm sure it will be utter garbage if I try and 'theorycraft' something. Something without a ridiculously complex series of abilities would be great, because when she saw my wizard's seven hotbars she got afraid of the game.
I am in a similar position. My girlfriend definitely likes how accessible and nice Neverwinter looks, but she is looking for exploration and more than just grinding so DDO has that going for it.

I gave her a rundown of each class and she settled on wizard (pale master), I rolled artificer. Based on what you are saying I would think a favored soul fits the build: high on spell points, lower on spell selection. Cleric with its spell-like abilities in Disciple of Light tree seems pretty fun.

If I can share my metagame experience: don't force it, and don't worry about a power gaming duo if you guys are just going to level together and tinker around in instances. The great fun of "the D&D experience" is growing your own character and it could be easy to take that away with a tightly-controlled build. If she picks a class with no solo survivability just roll a build that can heal both of you and learn to only trigger traps once. :)

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Brownview posted:

I am in a similar position. My girlfriend definitely likes how accessible and nice Neverwinter looks, but she is looking for exploration and more than just grinding so DDO has that going for it.

I gave her a rundown of each class and she settled on wizard (pale master), I rolled artificer. Based on what you are saying I would think a favored soul fits the build: high on spell points, lower on spell selection. Cleric with its spell-like abilities in Disciple of Light tree seems pretty fun.

If I can share my metagame experience: don't force it, and don't worry about a power gaming duo if you guys are just going to level together and tinker around in instances. The great fun of "the D&D experience" is growing your own character and it could be easy to take that away with a tightly-controlled build. If she picks a class with no solo survivability just roll a build that can heal both of you and learn to only trigger traps once. :)

Thanks for the info. I'll show her all the classes tonight and look into FvS myself to see what comments I can make. Maybe we'll bump into each other and level together at some point. I see what you mean about taking away from the experience by finding a strictly regimented build and telling her just what to take at every level. I do want her to really enjoy the game like I did when I way playing, which means being free to really get into her character and play it as she sees fit. I'll have to remember to not try to force constant elite streaks on her and just let the normal, non-tome of XP slowness set in.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I'm doing this for my cleric life basically. Although I continued to prioritize Divine Disciple so I could get the Holy Smite SLA since having an AE SLA is a huge deal and strengthening my healing spells wasn't a big concern at level 6.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Richard M Nixon posted:

Of course, I know it's much more unforgiving when it comes to builds,
I think this is made up for the fact that you can actually MAKE builds that are wildly different from each other, even with the same class or even class combos. It's really so much more intricate than NWO (the lack of build customization was the biggest issue for me, then dungeon design). It's like chess compared to... not checkers, like maybe... jacks?

You should just play a few classes to level 5-7 if you can so you get an idea of what feats and progression is like, and take a look at the DDO character generator (has it been updated yet? Or is there an alternative)? You can usually salvage nearly any build by level 20 anyway, and if not, then reincarnate. Worth subscribing and/or unlocking most content for sure. It's not really essential for one of you to be a cleric or similar healer at all, but having one of you have trap skills makes things a LOT more fun, especially as a couple exploring quests for the first time (great game to duo, especially puzzle heavy quests).

Noricae fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Noricae posted:

It's not really essential for one of you to be a cleric or similar healer at all, but having one of you have trap skills makes things a LOT more fun, especially as a couple exploring quests for the first time (great game to duo, especially puzzle heavy quests).

I was definitely going to grab a de-trapping character after experiencing so many of the gently caress you instadeath traps when I was playing alone. I don't have much experience with multiclassing so I was considering going artifacer for the ability to do great damage (right?) while still being able to disarm. I want to make sure that things melt fairly rapidly with whatever build I'll make, plus it would lessen the need for healing as I can just repair, and maybe I'll get lucky and she'll roll a spellcaster who can help out. If I wanted to pick another class, would it be as easy as grabbing, say, barbarian and just splashing a single rogue level to get trapfinding/disarm trap and just put points into search and spot as I go?

One of my favorite things about DDO was the heavy puzzle use in dungeons, and it's what is exciting my girl about playing, too. So few multiplayer games really try to make use of puzzle mechanics nowadays. The Secret World is the only one I can think of, and drat did it have some puzzles...

• Locked thread