Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Speaking of microwave misadventures I was trying to make rice in a microwave recently. See, I accidentally added the rice to a panful of cold water instead of waiting for the water to boil, and since I've never had to adjust for that particular fuckup I decided to play it safe, transfer it to a bowl, and nuke it. I set the microwave according to the directions on the bag and set to sorting out the parts of dinner that I hadn't fouled up. About halfway through the rice's cooking time my brother wanders in and smells smoke, and says so.

I should point out that I'm almost completely anosmic so until something starts emitting visible smoke I have no way of knowing that it's burning. Immediately I think of things I've had problems with burning in the past; therefore, I start investigating the pans on the stove very intently to figure out what I need to turn down. Yep-the smoke was actually coming from the microwave. Since I wasn't using one of the specific quantities on the bag I'd managed to miscalculate something about the directions for microwaving the rice, and all the water had been absorbed and subsequently boiled away. The rice had begun to burn in a rather spectacular fashion, taking on an appearance similar to tarmac and humping upwards in order to ruin one of the splatter shields my family uses rather obsessively in the microwave. And when I say ruin I mean ruin; the vent on top had been melted to about four times its previous size and the surrounding area had begun to turn brown as it prepared to do its own melting.

Needless to say I went back to making it on the stove after that, and am just extra careful not to bung it up the way I did that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I think a better thing to do if you can't smell smoke is to not leave anything you're cooking unattended!

I don't really know how to respond to this. I mean, the microwave's a couple feet from the stove, I guess you can call that "unattended" if you want. I didn't really have any reason to believe the laws of physics would suddenly be revoked, this had never happened to me while making rice or rice-like dishes before...

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Not only is that recipe horrid, that side is amazingly bad. Everything is just a horrible recipe. He has a jambalaya recipe features Hillshire Farms sausage and a bay leaf as the only seasonings. Not even garlic :psyduck:

his chili is also depressing.

The first mistake in that recipe is "Chicago-style deep dish" and it just cascades from there.