Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Wow, doing a full adaptation of the game sure would be weird. That would be a comic adaptation of a game that takes it's inspiration from said comic :psyduck:

Speaking of hedgehog/human relationships, I always thought it was weird no one complained about the one in the OVA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

TheFattestPat posted:

Wow, doing a full adaptation of the game sure would be weird. That would be a comic adaptation of a game that takes it's inspiration from said comic :psyduck:

Speaking of hedgehog/human relationships, I always thought it was weird no one complained about the one in the OVA.

That one was like a goofy cartoony relationship. Sonic 06 took itself way serious.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ElPottoGrande posted:

On the topic of the game itself: I liked it well enough. I really wanted to like it more, but the thread has already covered a lot of reasons why it didn't go over well, and there's a few more to come. I think a Sonic RPG can work. Frankly, I'd love for Namco-Bandai to do one in the "Tales of.." style. But what we got was playable, the story is kinda neat (in a very Bioware sort of way), and I liked the concepts it introduced to the mythos.

I have questionable taste in Sonic games and enjoyed Sonic Battle. Barring how slowly you start being able to actually fight as Emerl, I thought it was kinda fun. Making it Tales of or Kingdom Hearts-ish might make it more fun to play as well. With the second one you'd actually have enough space to run around and maybe be fast. I brought that one up because I thought it was the best one for making some combat out of the games that isn't Unleashed. Or just jumping on people.

On the other hand, I also wish that there was a better Chao Garden than in Adventure 2 so I might be a little off. :v:

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 22, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheFattestPat posted:

It was cartoony and also not really a thing, was it? It's been ages since I watched it but all I remember was him saving her, not any sort of romance.

XaviortheSavior
Nov 21, 2011

ElPottoGrande posted:

Frankly, I'd love for Namco-Bandai to do one in the "Tales of.." style.

"Tales of Sonic the Hedgehog"? This...this could work. I can see the Tales style working for the Sonic universe, and there are two reasons I can think of that this "crossover" is totally plausible.
1. Once upon a time, the Tales series dabbled in adapting an established franchise with Tales of Keroro.
2. There was a certain game released recently on the 3DS that proves that Namco Bandai and Sega are willing to work together.
Also, while typing that, I noticed that there is a bit of a pun to be had with Sonic and "Tales".

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

XaviortheSavior posted:

"Tales of Sonic the Hedgehog"? This...this could work. I can see the Tales style working for the Sonic universe, and there are two reasons I can think of that this "crossover" is totally plausible.
1. Once upon a time, the Tales series dabbled in adapting an established franchise with Tales of Keroro.
2. There was a certain game released recently on the 3DS that proves that Namco Bandai and Sega are willing to work together.
Also, while typing that, I noticed that there is a bit of a pun to be had with Sonic and "Tales".

It even comes with appropriate POW Hammer user.

Though I think that a game like that would result in an audio clusterfuck similar to Sonic Heroes.

XaviortheSavior
Nov 21, 2011

LeafyOrb posted:

Though I think that a game like that would result in an audio clusterfuck similar to Sonic Heroes.
How do you mean? It is true that in a typical Tales battle, it's rare to have less than two people shouting their battle cries at a time, but I don't see how that relates to Heroes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

XaviortheSavior posted:

How do you mean? It is true that in a typical Tales battle, it's rare to have less than two people shouting their battle cries at a time, but I don't see how that relates to Heroes.
I'm thinking something like "TAKE THIS TAKE THIS TAKE THIS TAKE THIS" "WHEHEHEEE WHEEEE WHEEE WHEEE WHEEE" and that's note even getting into Team Amy's voice actors.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Kurieg posted:

I'm thinking something like "TAKE THIS TAKE THIS TAKE THIS TAKE THIS" "WHEHEHEEE WHEEEE WHEEE WHEEE WHEEE" and that's note even getting into Team Amy's voice actors.

Every battle would start with "Look at all those Eggman robots."

ElPottoGrande
Jun 19, 2005
I write children's stories about talking, colorful animals.

Endorph posted:

Did you laugh when you realized you had to write hedgehog/human romance, or did you cry?
Oi. Actually, the script I was shown didn't cover any of the side missions, so going in all I knew was that Sonic had to face some "trials." Playing it for myself, once I got to the "Trial of Love" (or whatever it was called) I honestly stopped for a moment, confused. Was this a trick? Was it a joke? No... they honestly gave the player this choice. I... words fail me.

The tie-in comic, that never got past the rough draft script, was only loosely tied to the plot. It amounted to Mephiles luring the hedgehogs into one place, with the past/present/future theme played about between Shadow/Sonic/Silver. I dunno why we never went forward with the tie-in.

On the idea of "Tales of Sonic," recent Tales games haven't been too noisy. Nothing has been as chatty as Symphonia, although I do miss that aspect. But I really think the engine would lend itself well to a Sonic RPG, if for nothing else than Sonic playing something like Xillia's Jude.

And hell, while I'm wishing, arena cameo battle of Mario, Luigi, Peach and Yoshi. Alternatively, Ristar, Vectorman, Astal and Vyse for "revenge of the franchises that never took off."

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
How about an arena battle with Mighty, Ray, Nack, and Tiara. The forgotten ones return to make a stand!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Oh Ian, you're always a wonderful person to have around for these things. And yes, Tales of Sonic would probably be the best way to handle an RPG for him. Out of curiosity would you write one, if Sega ever offered? Or is writing a video game something not figure into your busy scheduled of writing Sonic, Megaman, Sonic Universe, and New Crusaders, all of which can be brought from Archie comics for a reasonable price, along side various Trades and Archives Shameless Plug buy now.

TheFattestPat posted:

How about an arena battle with Mighty, Ray, Nack, and Tiara. The forgotten ones return to make a stand!

Sonic is in no short amount for characters who could fill up the arena, act as secrets, participates in skits, serve as big bads etc. etc.

Which is why it shocks me that Chronicles is... this.

ElPottoGrande
Jun 19, 2005
I write children's stories about talking, colorful animals.

Onmi posted:

Out of curiosity would you write one, if Sega ever offered?
In a heart beat. I'd love to write for any game, really. But from what I've researched, "writes well and has ideas!" gets you a polite smile at best when trying to break into the videogame biz. And since I can't code/model worth a poo poo, I'm kinda SOL on that.

Unless some goon is secretly a developer and wants a man of limited skills....?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Welcome to a special CYBER MONDAY bonus super-short update! This is appropriately themed because we're going shopping today in the wonderful town of Central City! And we'll talk a little bit about how it's bullshit! (These screenshots are actually from back around Update 2, but I couldn't find a place to make it feel organic there, so I decided to just stick them here)

So this door! It’s a store. It actually has a little billboard featuring one of Sonic’s shoes above it, which I’m sure is purely cosmetic, but I like to imagine they sell Sonic shoes. Unlike most other RPGs (that I know of) , this door is the store. When you click on it, you go straight to the buy/sell menu. No shopkeeps or anything.

The current number of any given item you possess is in parentheses next to the item name, so for example, you can see we’ve got 2 Health Leaves. Like I said in the first update, we don’t care about consumables, since the game gives those out as post-combat rewards regularly. However, moving down, we can find...

Gear! Like Amy’s boxing gloves from the first update, only buyable! Speaking of which, you’ll notice that we’re paying with the rings we’ve been collecting throughout the game. You’ll also notice on any screenshot with the top screen included that rings have a limited number. This is horseshit. The only way to gain more rings past the stage limit is by the little escape minigame you get when enemies try to run from a fight (or you yourself run) because occasionally rings will appear that you can jump for and gather.

However, your primary method for getting more rings after you've explored every nook and cranny of the actual level is by selling items, so if you want to really stock up on poo poo from the store, you better get real used to selling junk, and I do mean junk since the items you’ll have the most of are Health Seeds and POW Candies, which sell for utter 5 and 3 rings respectively. This is horseshit.

Anyway, I picked up a

Chao Print Dress for Amy,

an Angel Amulet for Sonic in case he gets KO’d, since he's pretty much the backbone of the team,

a pair of work gloves (at the time they were for Rouge in hopes they’d let her stop sucking so much, but I think now they're on Knuckles)

and a pair of good shoes for Tails since he needs the defense.

You'll notice that some Gear is themed specifically towards certain characters. For example Amy gets the dress because Amy's the only character who wears dresses, and she can't wear the same shoes Sonic and Tails can because I guess "generic blue and white shoe" doesn't come in ladies' sizes. You'll also notice that there are characters blacked out. I did that. In the game, they're just kind of shaded out and if you squint you can see the whole character roster. This game tries really hard to spoil itself. Like, seriously, after a couple more updates when we have the whole roster, I will show you in great detail how much this game tries to spoil itself.

e: Yessss, minutes on the clock wooo still cyber mondayyyy

e2: VVV: Oh no, it's not difficult at all to brute force it. I mean, as you can see, the items only add like +1 and +2s to your stats. There's no game-breakers to buy at all, they're just handy.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 3, 2013

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Huh. I know for a fact that I never went to a shop. I think I may have just brute forced my way through this game. But that's not really that difficult all things considered.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

...Not usable by robots you say?

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
The "goddamnit game give me some rings so that I can actually buy some of the stuff you have for sale" part is where Rouge comes in handy due to the way stealing stuff from enemies works: instead of enemies having specific items to steal, you instead get a random item from a pool of 3 or so that're determined by her steal skill's level and there's no limit to how many items you can steal from a single enemy. In short, with the right Chao, you can spam it endlessly on a single enemy until you have 99 of every stealable item and sell those.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AnotherGamer posted:

... where Rouge comes in handy...

I don't believe you.

That actually does sound interesting, but (in my opinion at least) it's a hell of a lot better to just screw items and roll with a better character than use Rouge and grind for rings/stuff.

XaviortheSavior
Nov 21, 2011
Yeah, I noticed this problem when I played the game. When I saw that I could only collect a certain amount of rings in each area, I knew it would be a problem if you really needed items but were out of money. Another game that I noticed has finite money but it doesn't stick out as much since you get so much money anyway is Mass Effect 2. (And 3 if you don't have the Citadel DLC where you can grind money from the arena)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I dunno, I like the idea of Rouge keeping your bank account topped up.

The items, though - one or two points in a statistic really makes a big difference?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Glazius posted:

The items, though - one or two points in a statistic really makes a big difference?

That really depends on how many points you get per level, now doesn't it?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Glazius posted:

I dunno, I like the idea of Rouge keeping your bank account topped up.

I wouldn't say they matter too much, although the damage increasing ones are actually pretty useful, especially for Sonic who can attack three times. Armour ones too for Tails and Creme

My general strategy in this game was to use Blow Kiss (Amy's Power Buff) on Sonic, so he can pretty much beat up anyhing with basic attacks. Maybe the Tails thing to add on an extra turn as well.

I would actually reccomend the damage and armour increasing items for the... rockin fight with Sonic. Nothing in the game is particulairly hard, especially if the mechanics are properly explained.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hey thread, I'm at an awkward point recording footage, so gimme some opinions. The problem I'm having is after we complete this next mission (by which I mean finding Eggman), there's only one small level before a big point of no return in the game. (Yes, there is a point of no return in this game, no we're not already at the end boss). So what I'm saying is, would you like:

a.) An update consisting of story, an update of sidequests, and a shorter update where I just blaze through the next area sidequests and all?

or

b.) an overstuffed story update possibly split into two parts, and an overstuffed sidequest update done the same way?

For people who have played the game, what I'm really trying to say is, should I really bother cramming in Chapter 4 just so I could show off Shadow while backtracking to do sidequests?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I say go for B.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
My tastes run toward B as well.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
I'd say do whatever you'd feel more comfortable reading, but since you left the choice up to a vote, B'd be my pick.

XaviortheSavior
Nov 21, 2011
B might be more of a pain for you to edit and get all the pictures in the right order, but it would be easier for us to read. I guess I'll go with that.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
B. It'll be harder, but it'll be worth the effort. Plus you can excuse yourself to rest if you want.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
B. I think you're close enough to make it make sense.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Give us B. Suffer for our amusement.

No but seriously I wanna hear/read your thoughts on all this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Welcome to the last update of the year! And it's a big 'un to make up for lost time!

Update 4: E.G.G.M.A.N.... H.U.N.T.

Previously on Sonic Chronicles, we rescued Knuckles and found that Angel Island had vanished. The team also concluded that Eggman had to have something to do with it.

Tails whipped up some tracker out of old Swatbot parts

and now we're on our way!

After talking to everyone last update, we exit the base and choose our team. The thread voted to keep everything mostly the same though, with Sonic, Tails, Amy, leading the way with new recruit Knuckles joining up. So first things first, like when any new team member leaves the base for the first time, you have to assign all his stats and moves.

Uppercut's a valuable solo attack like every character should have, and Revolver Slam is pretty great power-wise as well. Best of all, both moves are armor piercing, so they'll be able to tear up all of our robotic enemies when they're assholes and go into defensive mode.

Well, time to take off towards... somewhere? Like Tails says, the Eggman tracker just leads towards Eggman tech, which is scattered all over all 3 zones we've been in so far. However, it doesn't give us clear objective markers. You actually have to walk all over the map and wait for the annoying thing to beep before you can actually get a device. Here's what it sounds like:

(well, with some background noise. I'm not really an audio wizard who can isolate the sound/I didn't care enough to try for a 2-second clip)

I was going to complain about this mission, but after playing through it to capture footage, it's actually rather neat. It forces the player to explore the game, collecting Chao and checking out sidequests they might otherwise have skipped. Also, unlike the last time we went on an exploration quest, we do things besides just fight Swatbots.

So let's start our wandering right here in Central City. First things first though, down to the right...

... we pick up this Chao egg.

Then we head downtown.

Over to the left near the GUN building is a wall with a great big arrow on it pointing up.

It's not the first time we've seen a wall like this! When we've approached them in the past, a prompt always appears for a ladder, implying these walls can be climbed. Well gosh wouldn't it be convenient if

Well I'll be damned. Actually we could've just taken the long way around because we've been up here before. But wow why would you? Anyway, immediately upon climbing the wall, our Eggman detector goes off and Tails cuts in to talk.

: Let's go check it out!

Yes, let's. So we move a little more north. You may recall this is actually where we picked up one of the Eggman trackers when we beat up some Swatbots for it.

And what do you know, there's a Swatbot! But he's not moving... And suddenly everyone starts talking.

The other dialogue option is "Swatbots can't be sad, Amy" which is the meaner option, but doesn't elicit a response. This choice nets the hilarious

Sonic being kind is utterly shocking to everybody...

: The signal seems to be coming from here. But why?
: Let's find out what's going on.
: I just hope it's not dangerous!

: *bzt* I seem to have lost my mission *bzt* My programming is forgotten. *bzt*

: I say we smash it!
: I say we ignore it and keep moving.
: I don't know, Sonic. What if this is a clue?

This part is neat. You actually have two unique choices! This one is the "gently caress off, robot" choice in case you want to come back and finish the quest later option (though I have no idea why in the world you would want to leave in the middle here. I'll show all the dialogue the three paths can give you. We'll start with this one.

: *bzt* The soft creatures are no help to me. *bzt* *bzt* I beg you to let me be alone *bzt*

Of course, like I said, that does nothing. You just have to go back and talk to him again. Anyway, here are our two paths:

quote:

PARAGON:

: *bzt* Yes. *bzt* I believe you are correct. *bzt*

: *bzt* Thank you, soft creatures. *bzt* Now I have found rest. *bzt*

Aw, almost kinda sad. WELP let's let Tails rip its head off.

: Look, Sonic. The robot's head... it's an Eggman device!
: This must be what our tracker detected!
: Hm. I can't tell what it's used for. Maybe I can examine it some other time.

RENEGADE:

: *bzt* Eggman. *bzt* I remember now. *bzt*

And then we fight him. Well maybe he's a special encounter, maybe I should make a video for

Jesus, 90 HP? He falls in one turn.

After that, Tails goes and yanks the Eggman device out of the Swatbot's head with all the same dialogue.

You're pretty much always better off fighting the Swatbot because it nets you a bit of XP and you'll be so strong at this point in the game that it's essentially free XP. Both paths lead to the same result though:

And with that we're adventuring again. We jump back down and start heading back towards the middle of town

Because we're heading up to the rooftops again.

After Sonic does his little loop-de-loop again, we come over to this ledge and have Tails fly across and grab a Chao egg

This is actually notable because last time we were here before, Tails' fly skill wasn't leveled up to the point where he could cross this gap. Next over to the left, there's a ramp. And where there's a ramp, well...

RADICAL

That's about all we can do in this area for now, so we head down

and start to head towards the Mystic Ruins...

That is until Sonic stops dead in the middle of the road.

*sigh* Yes Tails, I have eyes too.

Suddenly our Eggman tracker goes off though. *gasp* What could it be?

BAM. I love it. Sonic falls down, Shadow clips through that road sign, fantastic stuff.

: Shadow.
: Why would Shadow set off the Eggman tracker?
: I don't know, but I'd like to find out.
: He went into Mystic Ruins. Maybe we should follow him.

Mayyyybe we should. Or maybe we should completely ignore that and catch up with him later. Yeah we'll do that other one. I just wanted to see Sonic get hit. Note: It is totally possible to miss this scene since you can just jump in the Tornado, fly to the Mystic Ruins and encounter Shadow there without going down the road here.

What we're actually going to do is first go to our right

and have Knuckles scale this wall to find...

an item box and the final Chao egg in Central City! Inside the item box we find...

Some sweet-rear end kicks. Hey, speaking of sweet-rear end kicks, let's go to the item shop!

... or more specifically juuuust to the left of the item shop, where the Eggman sensor goes off and our characters stop dead.

: We got a signal! It must be around here somewhere.

Gosh I wonder where it could be--

I think I might have a lead. Could it be this house with the large red arrow over it?

Oh I'm onto something. I might make detective yet!

: What can I do ya for?
: Awww no way. Eggman's here.

Attaboy Tails, tear this place apart. Go Jack Bauer on his rear end.

: Eggman? Are you folks looking for Eggman?
: Yes! Have you seen him?
: No sir, no I haven't. But I thought he was gone for good!

: I don't know, young fella. I've been called many things in my day, but as you can see, I'm not Eggman!

: What sort of equipment?
: Oh, I got it this from a salesman a couple days ago. Said his name was Sal, I think.

Wait what

what

Sorry we now return you to your regular scheduled broadcast

: He told me it was a coffee maker, he did. And I love me some coffee!
: Anyway, after he left, I couldn't get it to work.
: I traded him my favorite stapler for it, I tell you. I don't know what came over me.
: I think I was ripped off. I don't think it is a coffee maker at all!

: See it? I'll do ya one better. If you can get me my stapler back, you can have it. That salesman said he was heading off into Green Hill Zone. I got no idea what he'd be doing out there.

: Name's Sal, I believe. He's a shifty sort, but my old coffee maker went on the fritz, and I was desperate!

: If it's a piece of Eggman equipment, it might be worth looking at. Maybe it can help us find him.
: The poor man! We have to help him!
: This is a waste of time, but we can't let that salesman get away with this.

: I sure would be thankful, Sonic. Just come on back here when you're done.
: I'll have that piece of equipment all shined up by the time you get back!

Alright, let's go get a stapler *shotgun cocking sound*

I'll cut straight to Green Hill since we don't run into anything else on the way.

As you can see, we have an objective star showing us where to go now. Right over near the shore, we find our man.

Yes this gentleman looks legit

: Oh! Fabulous things. Things you can't live without! Of course, I don't sell things for money. I'm a bartering man. Goods for goods! Easy trade! What do you need? New socks? A jaunty hat? A sack of tomatoes?

: There's nothing here we can use, Sonic. It's all knickknacks and useless junk.

: What? Me, cheat? You must be mistaken. The last time I traded anything to a shopkeeper, it was a fair deal: his stapler for my coffee maker.

: Trading! Something for something, nothing for nothing!

: Well, I... You don't have to get upset, now! Here! May your papers stay together forever, I say. Whew.

Seriously, Bioware, an Office Space reference in 2008? Tsk, tsk.

Anyway, we could go over to the right, take the Tornado back to Central, and wrap up this portion of the quest.

Buuuut, there's something else to the right of that.

Over here in the corner of the map lies a great big tower with a wall for Knuckles to scale!

Normally these just lead to treasure boxes or Chao eggs, but this tower's different, because instead of a Chao egg, we find

a whole pre-hatched one!

: Don't worry Cheese! You're safe with us!

And then we just get him as an item. The XP's a nice bonus too and it's enough to level up both Tails and Knuckles. The box has some weird assorted items for us. Here you go weird item fans.

Well, now that we have Cheese, let's go back and deliver him to Cream back where she was.

Only as soon as we cross the bridge to get over to where she is

Sonic locks in place again as our Eggman tracker goes off. Tails pipes up to tell us to look around as usual, so we just head a little bit forward...

Another giant red arrow? I am getting the hang of this investigating business. Hey wait what's that?

Well of course we'll help why wouldn't we help someone in nee-

Holy poo poo that is a giant scorpion all right. Sonic immediately rushes it in a prescripted maneuver. Let's roll then!

Giant Scorpion

HP: 225
Special Attacks: Tail Sting

Difficulty Level: 7/10
Notes: Giant Scorpions are about as disturbing as you'd imagine a giant scorpion to be in real life. They're hard to kill with a shitload of HP, and they hit very hard. Their Tail Sting attack is dangerous, but like any special attack, it can be dodged if you're quick with button prompts. Their regular attacks are rough and tough and will kick your rear end. I tried to split my team and fight them at the same time but that is a mistake. They don't regenerate like robots do. Just gang up on them one at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmFLek_Y4YU

Nothing notable happens in this fight (you know, aside from fighting giant scorpions which is kind of a big deal, I'd think), but here are some gifs of Knuckles' two POW moves in action if you didn't watch the video.

Oh, and Amy leveled up, but we didn't power up any of her moves so whatever.

So hey, how about that kid that nearly got scorpion-ed to death?

: Thank you! You saved me!

: I don't know! I had just built a fort in here, and I was hooking up my new defense system when they came!
: Defense system?
: Oh, it's this piece of metal I found. It's just junk, but I pretended it was an alarm and a cannon! But I think the scorpion wanted to take it away!
: Why would a scorpion want that piece of junk?
: Can I see that?

: I don't know. I just thought it looked cool.

: Really?! I get to travel with Sonic the Hedgehog?! Wow, my friends will never believe this! I won't make a peep! I promise!

: Strange... this device seems to interact with the other device we found! If we find more, maybe we can find out what they do!
: We'd better keep looking for Eggman. Let's go.

Yeah, let's go, now that we have another Eggman device we should get this kid back to his home in... Emerald Town... wait where now?

Oh wait that's right EMERALD TOWN DOESN'T EXIST. WHERE ARE YOU FROM BOY?

That's more like it! Now get back into... wherever the hell our inventory goes. I guess Amy has big pockets on that dress. Jokes aside, this blunder's really astounding because in other options on the dialogue tree, the kid says he's from Central. So the question is how did this happen? If Central City was Emerald Town at some point in development, how did somebody not just run a find/replace on all instances of Emerald Town when the decision to change the location name was made? Alternately, maybe there was actually a whole other area in the game called Emerald Town... but then wouldn't you delete all reference to it when the decision to get rid of the area was made? gently caress it, I don't know. This one just boggles me.

Anyway, we got our Eggman device, we got a small child, we got some XP. Let's get back to business. I believe we were delivering a Chao to a rabbit.

Ah yes, that's right.

Cream's exactly where we left her, let's get this Chao off our hands before we start some other sidequest by accident!

: Cheese! I was worried sick! Thank you so much, Sonic! So much!

: Oh come on, Sonic! You and the team are all back together, running around the Green Hill Zone. What is it? Is Eggman back? Someone new?

: Hooray!
: You can always count on me, Sonic! Cream and Cheese are at your service!
: Let's get moving. We have work to do!
: Yay!

And with that we have Cream as a party member

When people post about a game-breaking character in the thread, they're talking about Cream. She restores PP so quickly to your entire team that you can pretty much constantly use POW moves when she's on your team with no consequence. The only downside to her presence is the fact that she can only move once per turn as opposed to Tails (our other healer) getting two.

You can actually turn down Cream's request to let you join the team though, if you're an idiot. Here's what that looks like:

quote:

: Oh come on, Sonic! You and the team are all back together, running around the Green Hill Zone. What is it? Is Eggman back? Someone new?

: But... But Sonic...
: Sonic, Cream has helped us before and she was just as helpful as anyone else!
: Yeah. If we run into any all-day lollypops, we'll need her expertise.
:iceburn:

This is the game's "Are you SURE you don't want to make this bad decision?" screen. The top option puts you right back on track with her on your team. But let's be firm on turning her down.

: Oh... okay. Well, thanks for finding Cheese for me. Good luck with saving the world.

: Okay, Amy!

She still disappears from the map just like if she had joined the party, and we never hear from her again.

I'll mess around showing off Cream some other time, we voted on characters for this update and by god I'll stick to them! Anyway, that's all we had to do in Green Hill. Well, okay, there's one more tiiiiny thing...

gently caress YOU WALL

Sorry, you just run into a lot of climbable walls in the game before you get Knuckles and it's very liberating when you finally unlock him to finally go get all those eggs and junk... anyway let's just go back to Central City.

You'll note that we have two stars on the map for our two quests to complete. As soon as we head for the first one, control cuts away for this...

That... is not a well animated child.

: Who are your friends?
: Papa, this is Sonic the Hedgehog, and these are his friends!
: Thank you so much for finding my boy. How can I ever repay you? Ah, yes! Take this!
: It's not much; just a token of my thanks for returning my precious boy!
: It was our pleasure, sir.

: But Papa...

Ba-dum-tsssh and that's the end of that quest. The item the dad gave us was just a Health Leaf. It's worth noting that you don't actually have to do this. The kid says in the cave he can get himself home if you don't offer to take him. You never get to find out if he made it, mind you, so I guess this is more for your clear conscience and the free leaf.

Well now all I guess I have to do is go here...

and smack the guy over the head multiple times asking why in the world he thought the Eggman device could be a coffee maker.

So talk, old man, and give me my gizmo.

: If it isn't Sonic the Hedgehog and his little buddies!

: Fantabulous! Splendid! And as promised, here is that blasted machine.
: I hope you find some use for it. I certainly didn't!
: Look, Sonic! It's another Eggman device. No wonder the old man couldn't get it to make coffee!

Tails I thought we had established that a while back. For a guy who can make a fully functional robot, you really are dumb sometimes, Tails.

: These devices have a few things in common. Let's see if we can find a couple more.
: We better keep looking for Eggman. Let's go.

Pictured: Something that is easily mistaken for a coffee machine.

Anyway, that wraps up our business here, so now all that's left is to journey to Mystic Ruins. But of course first that means we have to venture over to HQ to switch Big into the active roster since he's the only one who can really get through the Mystic Ruins right now...

Sorry, Amy, you're off the squad for now. Knuckles gets to stick around because he's the newer guy.

Anyway, let's hit the plane!

Like immediately after exiting the plane though...

Huh. That's new.

Yup, definitely guessing that's not indigenous to the region.

Robodillo

HP: 90
Special Attacks: Cyclone (doesn't cause a status effect, just hurts more)

Difficulty Level: 5/10
Notes: Robodillos are robotic armadillos. We've killed plenty of armadillos and plenty of robots but together they're a minor annoyance to be reckoned with! The real pain in the rear end of the robodillo comes in the fact that it self-repairs like so many other robots, but they tend to move in large packs, which means you have to knock all of them out in the same turn, which can be a real pain in the rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw6a5nc6Siw

I really could've ended that faster if I just broke down and used Big's Froggy Rain attack when all their health was low, but at this phase in the game I had gotten really obsessed with having everybody's HP/PP at max all the time. Don't worry, this OCD gets out of my system soon.

Anyway, hey, a robotic armadillo, that's a little out of the ordinary, huh? Turns out Sonic's team actually takes notice of this.

: That animal seemed to be... roboticized.

No poo poo. :doh: Side note: "Roboticized" is one of the silly words the cartoons and comics made up back in the 90s! Tie-ins to Sonic lore all over the place! :eng101:

: Looks like we were right about Eggman being involved.
: The signal doesn't stop here, Sonic. We have to keep following it to find the source.

Wait, what signal are we following?

Note the lack of an objective star. Humorously, the robodillo isn't a scripted encounter, but the game reacts like it is, telling you to go follow a signal you don't actually have. More humorously, it gives you said signal...

...literally two steps later. You could probably get the signal without even encountering the robodillo though, although I've never been able to get around the little bugger personally. Anyway, now we have our objective, let's head northwest .

Oh, Big, you fume-breathing cad. Anyway, in this room we have

...more robodillos

: Sonic! Look out!
: I think the signal is coming from the big one!
: I'll take care of it!

This one actually does come at us in a scripted sequence. The fight isn't any different though. Just another 4 robodillos. The only thing that's different this time around is that I wise up and stop getting so stingy about POW points...

Frogs - 1, Robots with spikes on their backs - 0.

: Look, Sonic! That box on the leader's head is an Eggman device. That must be what turned these animals into robots!
: That must be what our tracker detected!
: Hm. I can't tell what it's used for. Maybe I can examine it some other time.

And with that we get another Eggman device.

We also get the Chao egg in the room and raid those boxes. The one on the right has health items. The one on the left has...

more bitchin footwear. Next on our tour, we head down south back to that fan puzzle that let us get in to the Marauder hideout and break out Knuckles watch Knuckles break himself out.

As soon as we reach the guy that offered to help with the puzzle, the Eggman tracker goes off again, and tells us the objective is... well, at the fan puzzle. Oh God we're not gonna have to do a puzzle are we?

Oh nooooo wait thank God, the game takes control here.

How long have you been perched there?

So here's something interesting. The little "talk to your team" option is sometimes contextual to your team! Sometimes it's not and you'll just talk to Tails/Amy/other characters regardless of whether they're actually on your team or not. But in this case it is! I'll try the best I can throughout the course of the LP to get every character's reaction to prompts like these. No promises though, because a lot of conversations like this occur a long way out from a base where switching characters is possible. Anyway, let's just play this as if I have everybody with me at the same time. What should we do, guys?

: I don't know, Sonic. Why would Shadow set off the tracker like this?
: We can take him, but it'd be a waste of time.

: Thanks, Sonic!
: Let's just go, Sonic!
: Must it always be combat with you men?
: My face itches.

: How should I know? Are you accusing me of something?
: We have an Eggman tracking device. And you're making it beep like crazy.

The other option here just has Sonic say that they're going to keep an eye on Shadow. Shadow then tells Sonic to screw off and then leaves, and he drops an Eggman device as he leaves. There's actually a lot of different dialogue options in this particular tree that I'll probably put together in a bonus update later on. They all end one of two ways though: Either Shadow leaves pissed, or...

: I get tired of you accusing me of things I didn't do.

All right, let's do this.

Shadow the Hedgehog

HP: 225
Special Attacks: Chaos Spear

Difficulty Level: 4/10
Notes: Shadow's a joke. I mean, he's got more HP than you, but you've got 4 guys, and thus sooo many more turns to get damage in. Chaos Spear's a rough attack though, so definitely make sure to not get hit by it. Interestingly, its two spears will either target one guy or two separate guys completely at random. You definitely want it to split up, in case you miss the prompt to dodge the attack, because like I said, taking both spears is a real bitch, and might actually kill characters with less HP (read: Tails) if you're underleveled. Still though, you'd have to be trying to lose to this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjo1rp31z9s

What? Don't look so smug at me, rear end in a top hat! I just beat you up! I'll have the cat rain frogs on you I swear!

: Hey, Shadow left something behind. This is what set off our tracker!
: It looks like another Eggman device. Hm. I think I have all I need to... Yes! These fit together like so... and you clip this here... and connect this... Yay!
: The devices come together come together to form some kind of random pattern generator. I'm not sure what it's for.

Well okay... what the gently caress is it for? Hello? Game?

...The game goes from being pretty fun to being pretty horseshit right about here. You're still on an Eggman hunt, but the game's really non-specific about what it wants you to do. The answer is "the same drat thing", but it gives the impression that something's different. Well something is, in that this time the tracker won't beep and lead you on any fun quests occasionally. It's just a boring slog checking every nook and cranny of the map.

Thanks to *~LP Magic~* though, you the reader don't have to watch that. We're just gonna cut the bullshit and go to the base. The obvious hiding space for Eggman would be somewhere in Mystic Ruins since it's our newest area and still has so much unexplored territory... however if you thought that you'd be wrong. We're heading back to Green Hill. (We're also picking Amy back up on the way since Big's done with his toxic fume duty).

Remember back here when we first met up with Amy? Down south there's that ramp that leads up to the loop-de-loop. Of course sharp-eyed viewers may already see where I'm going here IT'S THE HOLE IN THE MOUNTAIN. See, go a little up the mountain, actually roughly where the first Marauder threw those boxes at us in the first update, and suddenly

That's not strange, it's pretty obvious why a signal would lead up there. Anyway, immediately after climbing up there...

: What's that? Some kind of forcefield?
: We have to get through it.
: Hm. I have an idea. I think I can use this pattern generator to match the frequency of the... Yes! Got it!
: The forcefield's shutting down!
: Wait! Do you hear that?
: Laser Sentinels! Get ready, team!

Laser Drone

HP: 50
Special Attacks: Evade, Buzz Saw, Full Power

Difficulty Level: 7/10
Notes: Laser Drones are like poisonous insects, in that you can totally crush them, but if you don't watch out, they will loving kill you. At 50 HP a pop, Laser Drones should be as much of a joke as any of the other drones in the game, but then they attack and they will teach you why they are minibosses. Laser Drones hit like tons of bricks. It's drat good they're easy to kill because you want to kill them as fast as possible. God help you if they start doing that Evade thing that drones do. Their Full Power attack is an instant KO if it hits. And yes, they self-repair if you don't knock them all out at the same time. So yeah, strike fast, strike hard, do not be afraid to burn POW points.

I was gonna post a video because they are minibosses, but then like I said, I beat 'em up. This is about all that needs to be said on the matter:

Laser Drones: The most pathetic, most deadly robots.

: Those were definitely Eggman's robots. And they looked new!

: We'll be ready, Sonic. Let's go!

Well, once more unto the breach...

WELP.

No poo poo, Tails?

: This certainly looks like somewhere Eggman would hang out.
: This is our chance to find out what's really going on.
: We've got company, team. Get ready!

Oh what's the big deal, it's just some Swatbo-

gently caress. New from EggCo, Swatbot Mk 2, putting the "Holy poo poo" back in Swatbot. Anyway let's do this.

Swatbot Mk. II

HP: 200
Special Attacks: Crusher

Difficulty Level: 8/10
Notes: Okay, so Swatbot Mk 2s aren't as frightening as that very first Swatbot, but they're close. Mostly because the Mark Twos just do not die. You better hope you have armor piercing attacks to use on these bastards because their defense is through the roof. And of course they auto-repair if you don't kill all of them in one turn, so there's that bit of fun. Also, they hit really hard, but you can heal faster than they can hurt (at least if you're lucky and they're not actually focusing on one target. If they're focused, well then poo poo, you better get an IV drip of healing items or just concede that character as lost.) And watch out for the Crusher attack of course. That poo poo'll do a number on you as well as knock your attack to zero. Really, the Mark Twos are an endurance contest. As long as you can hit harder for longer than they can, you've won.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVs8CacJcuY

DONE.

Wait you mean I have to do 2 more of these fights now? Wait, who's that I see running strangely towards me?

: Eggman!
: I knew he was still around! I knew it!
: You're finished, Eggman!

: Don't trust him, Sonic!
: Ha ha ha! My dear, I wouldn't trust me, either!
: But I am as angry as you are that someone has the gall to activate MY old machines and use them for their own purposes!
: It just looks bad, I tell you. I was young when I made those old robots! Young and full of beans!

: He's right, Eggman. Everything points to you.
: Ha ha ha! Sonic, it's adorable how much you hate me.
: But you simply must trust me, my blue spiky friend.

Gasp! Can Eggman be telling the truth? What's Shadow up to? And did everybody just forget about the loving invading alien...things?

oh wow I guess nobody forgot about the Marauders after all. NEXT TIME ON SONIC CHRONICLES: Playable Eggman. Not a joke.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 29, 2014

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

quote:

It's the extra little things that really help make this LP. :allears:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Emerald Town is actually a place in the Sonic games- it's where Sonic and Tails hang in Sonic Battle. Tails has a house that is shaped like his head there.

It's not in this game though, that's dumb.

XaviortheSavior
Nov 21, 2011
That giant scorpion boss, only time in my playthrough I got a Game Over. Also, that might have been the last time I used Rouge. I can't remember exactly since it's been years, but I definitely remember that she was in my party during that fight.

Codex posted:

She can fly by flapping her large ears to life herself off the ground.
I'm going to assume that's a typo in the actual game that you carried over.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

TwoPair posted:

NEXT TIME ON SONIC CHRONICLES: Playable Eggman. Not a joke.
Yessss, the best character. :allears:

I request he be forced into the party at all times.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Oh god, the models for human characters in this game are just terrible, even accounting for DS limitations. They're just too small and really not suited to the pseudo-isometric angle - Eggman looks like he's hunched right over when he turns his back to the camera.

That said, whilst the final product can be ultimately called into question, it is nice to see how many references they could manage to cram in. Roboticising, Emerald Town, Eggman's successive generations of robots... Hell, up until Shadow just dropped the Eggman Device (though I can't recall if they ever explain why he had that), I thought they were trying to allude to it maybe being another Shadow-bot. Sure, that plot had been run down into the ground, but this isn't exactly shoving an army of replicas in your face.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Man I have gotten all the way to the final dungeon and I seriously had blocked all of that from my mind.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
Gotta use both Eggman and Cream next chapter. No exceptions.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I played this game a while ago. I remember exactly none of this stuff holy crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

GeneralYeti posted:

I played this game a while ago. I remember exactly none of this stuff holy crap.

That good, huh? :v:

• Locked thread