Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

TwoPair posted:

This LP has forced me to go way too far down the rabbit hole of Sonic canon.
I had to go look up who Sally was. The wiki page looks like DeviantArt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
To be fair to Penders, as long as the characters involved weren't related to the Echidnas or his godforsaken Ancient Walkers, they tended to at least be okay. At least when put into hands more competent than his own.

Sorry for the comic derail, I only recently discovered how deep the Penders crazyhole goes.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Nihilarian posted:

I had to go look up who Sally was. The wiki page looks like DeviantArt.

And you don't even want to know what the actual DeviantArt looks like.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

TwoPair posted:

To be fair, the metric shittons of other characters weren't strictly unnecessary, just because if nothing else, it's drat tough to write a world with three characters. I mean, the Sonic comics started back in the 90s when the games' plots were still limited to the instruction book style 3-paragraph stuff like "Sonic is a dude with 'tude who beats up Dr. Robotnik and Tails is his buddy". The Archie Sonic Comics started in '92 and the UK's Sonic comic started in '93, before Sonic CD, so not even Amy and Metal Sonic were around yet. It was just Sonic, Tails, and Eggman Robotnik (RIP OLD NAME), and you just can't sustain a comic for too long with that. It'd be like making Batman comics where Batman and Robin beat up the Joker literally every issue. Sooner or later, you've got to just give up and make auxiliary characters until Sega can give you something to work with.

This LP has forced me to go way too far down the rabbit hole of Sonic canon.

But it wasn't, at least in Archies case, they started with the SatAM characters, and the thing was it's okay to introduce auxillery characters when you're at a loss of things to do just ya know.

A. Make them look like Sonic Characters (they never did, it was hideously out of place) and
B. When new sonic characters arrive, actually use them. Poor Amy Rose basically sat out the comic until Ian Flynn took over because Penders didn't want to use her, her entire contributing to the horrid Sonic Adventure arc was being told "You're a kid, stay home" and then she and Tails get shipped off to Middle-School.

Did I mention there was a highschool arc? There was a REALLY Anime Highschool arc.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Onmi posted:

Did I mention there was a highschool arc? There was a REALLY Anime Highschool arc.

Subscriptions skyrocketed as the entirety of Gaia Online learned of it.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Least it isn't that dragon character from the Archie Sonic cartoon being beaten up by a abusive boyfriend? Oh god how do I know about it still. :shepicide:

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
No that was the comics too. There was a whole bunch of stupid pointless poo poo with that dragon, they couldn't even keep it all straight.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

PAMaster posted:

Can't mention DeviantArt, Sonic, and rabbit holes without mentioning the life person size Sally doll someone created. From scratch. With a wooden "human" skeleton inside. Can't image host from work, so images 2, 3, & 4 if you GIS "Sally Acorn Full Size Doll".

I'd imagine that thing is now %50 semen by weight.

EDIT: Hmm... OK, I thought that the skeleton was made out of wooden dowels and carved into human bone like shapes, but no, stories and pics point to a classroom accurate resin/plastic skeleton. Or the remains of his "girlfriend" who refused to put on the costume.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

PAMaster posted:

Oh dear God, the endless Sonic fan characters. Enter any word at all in Deviantart and you'll get somebody's "super original plez dont steel!!" hedgehog/sayian/keyblade master from the future named Bloodrange or something starring a poorly edited piece of promo art having a disturbing "romantic" scene with and Avatar character or a pony.

*shudder* That site combined with this fanbase leads to endless horror.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I actually did a list of the most notable Dragonball 'OC' (Original character) cliches once, but what I realise is that not only do most of them apply to the Sonic franchise the same, the latter also has more really big ones too.

I suppose part of it comes down to both the simplicity of the existing character designs, but also how much we simultaneously do/don't know about the world Sonic and his friends live in. The Adventure games, '06 and Unleashed give the general impression that its a world that very much resembles our own, with the additional caveat that giant talking animals are kind of a 'thing'. But we never see the extended families or species outside of Knuckles' (in which case its normally flashbacks because hey, last of the echidnas for a reason), or well, the freaking robots (in which case, alternate models of the same line). So many fans, especially those not too keen on inputting too much effort, or jumping on the bandwagon armed with little more than MS Paint, assume and extrapolate basic things from the examples we do see - hedgehogs for example must have super speed, wear gloves, and look just like Sonic, as an example. And then because they want their creations to be taken 'seriously' they contrive 'dark and gritty' stories that would make the writers of Shadow the Hedgehog look at them and say maybe tone it down a bit.

Honestly, credit to both SEGA and Archie, when they do show off the other members of a character's species, whether for comics or the games, they don't simply retread the same designs unless dealing with close relatives. Cream and her mother look quite similar of course, whilst Big and Blaze, despite both being Cats, have very little in common beyond a colour scheme.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Geostomp posted:

Oh dear God, the endless Sonic fan characters. Enter any word at all in Deviantart and you'll get somebody's "super original plez dont steel!!" hedgehog/sayian/keyblade master from the future named Bloodrange

The scary thing is that I think I know that guy. :stare:

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Astro Nut posted:

I actually did a list of the most notable Dragonball 'OC'

Speaking of Dragonball is there a reason Super Sonic is a SSJ? Is it just a homage or something unintentional?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
It's definitely intentional, people have brought it up before and according to Ian there's been at least one internal document at Sonic Team directly comparing Sonic characters to DB ones.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh! So this game is basically Knuckles' Superman 2?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Glazius posted:

Oh! So this game is basically Knuckles' Superman 2?

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

You have no loving idea how appropriate that is. I am dying from laughter right now.

ElPottoGrande
Jun 19, 2005
I write children's stories about talking, colorful animals.

Onmi posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

You have no loving idea how appropriate that is. I am dying from laughter right now.

That really does work on two levels. Spooky.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Kurieg posted:

I'm not sure if you're aware of this yet, but you're more right than you can possibly know.

:negative:

I'm a bit late on this, but I hope you're not trying to say Sonic Boom is going to be serious.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Speaking of which, I find it utterly hilarious that this was the off-panel we wound up getting.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Onmi posted:

Speaking of which, I find it utterly hilarious that this was the off-panel we wound up getting.

Not gonna lie, I'd pay good money for this.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Oh god, Flapper Amy.

Well, I'm glad that it's not serious, I don't know why they wrapped them all up like they mugged a mummy and put Knuckles on a steroid regimen.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Kurieg posted:

Well, I'm glad that it's not serious, I don't know why they wrapped them all up like they mugged a mummy and put Knuckles on a steroid regimen.

I don't know what's up with the whole athletic tape thing, but the official justification for Knuckles is that he's older than the other characters and needs to look like it.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't know what's up with the whole athletic tape thing, but the official justification for Knuckles is that he's older than the other characters and needs to look like it.

Also, the fists metal cracker need to come from someone more than 3 inches taller than the science guy...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gensuki posted:

Also, the fists metal cracker need to come from someone more than 3 inches taller than the science guy...

Pretty sure that was "metal crackle".

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Pretty sure that was "metal crackle".

Fist, metal crack'em actually.

"A Ghost's Pumpkin Soup" is a weird song, and I retain the right to re-write the lyrics in such a way as to make the sentence make less sense in an effective way.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hoss Corncave posted:

I don't think it's riling anything. Generations IS a good game. Colours was too.

I watched a few of the LP videos of Colours and honestly, I liked what I saw. If I had a wii I would pick it up.

my favorite detail is that whoever Sonic's VA was no longer trying to sound like Steve Urkel, because that stopped sounding cool sometime in the 90s.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Sonic Colors was around the time they ditched the 4Kids Voice Actors and brought on new ones, replacing everyone except for Eggman. Sonic is voiced by Roger Craig Smith (Ezio/Chris Redfield) now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, personally I like Colors more than Generations. YEAH I WENT THERE.

Oh, a quick note on the LP: My computer's actually been out of commission for the last couple of weeks because the graphics card on it got busted, but it's fixed now. Now I can actually start recording footage again and get to work on the LP. Of course, I don't know why I'm saying this because my update schedule is nonexistent and currently I seem to update around once a month so see you at St Patricks Day but no really I'll start working I promise.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 20, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Colors is better than Generations since Colors actually tries to tell a story rather than falling back on "Hey, remember playing the game this level was from?"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Colors is better than Generations since Colors actually tries to tell a story rather than falling back on "Hey, remember playing the game this level was from?"

Trying to tell a story is a plus in a sonic game, you heard it here first. Lets give credit to this rpg and sonic 2006 for trying to tell stories.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Rita Repulsa posted:

Trying to tell a story is a plus in a sonic game, you heard it here first. Lets give credit to this rpg and sonic 2006 for trying to tell stories.

...To correct what he said, colors tells a Sonic the hedgehog story. By comparison, Generations is telling a Dark Chrnoicles story. (but not a 2006 story, generations isn't that bad.)

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
Who gives a poo poo about the story in Generations? I just wanted to blast through Green Hill Zone in full 3D while listening to the Toxic Caves theme.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The story of Sonic Colors was "Eggman's taking aliens in an amusement park, stop him Sonic!" with a lot of jokes of varying quality thrown in. Let's not lie to ourselves and pretend that it was anything beyond an excuse to have a lot of colorful levels.

Besides, the bosses were a complete joke in that game and there was too much focus on 2D.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 21, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Meh. You all may disagree with me, but personally I like games for story.

Whether or not the story is executed poorly or not, ala 2006, is another matter entirely.

True, Colors didn't have much, but it was presented as a simple game with a simple story. Generations, in contrast, was a game meant to focus on all of Sonic's history... and stopped really focusing on it in cutscenes after the second stage. Not to mention the random appearance of some characters, like Classic Tails.

Or maybe I just expected a bit too much from Generations. I dunno.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 21, 2014

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Bufuman posted:

As long as it's not like 4 or 5.

You know, I hear those are the bad two, but I've never actually played them (loved the crap out of the first three though, and even Alter Code: F). Wonder if I should fix that one of these days.
4 was horrible horrible poo poo and you should pretend it doesn't exist. 5 was actually quite good though, I enjoyed it a lot.

As for something actually on topic, I have really vague memories of the Archie Sonic comics from when I was a kid, and mostly I was just horribly confused because I played Sonic Adventure a few years later and it was absolutely nothing like the comics. Like, nothing. Wasn't there some kind of mammal (fox?) in formal military garb who carried a sword around? I mostly just remember that and there being a whole lot of multicoloured echidnas.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

4 was horrible horrible poo poo and you should pretend it doesn't exist. 5 was actually quite good though, I enjoyed it a lot.

As for something actually on topic, I have really vague memories of the Archie Sonic comics from when I was a kid, and mostly I was just horribly confused because I played Sonic Adventure a few years later and it was absolutely nothing like the comics. Like, nothing. Wasn't there some kind of mammal (fox?) in formal military garb who carried a sword around? I mostly just remember that and there being a whole lot of multicoloured echidnas.

That was Antoine, he's a Coyote. His big thing was being a chicken poo poo who eventually grew into being brave. And yes, The Sonic Adventure adaption was horrible. Not helping matters was the claim that, they never even got a script, simply having to go on visuals. This I feel is most likely utter bullshit since A. The game was out and B. they didn't even get the visuals right.

Hello Tikal. They changed her design every time she appeared, and none of them correct.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Isn't that his mother?

Edit:

While finding this image I discovered that Knuckle's mother in law is named "Mari-Su".

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 21, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Isn't that his mother?

While I can understand your confusion, that particular instance was Tikal

ElPottoGrande
Jun 19, 2005
I write children's stories about talking, colorful animals.

Kurieg posted:

Isn't that his mother?

Edit:

While finding this image I discovered that Knuckle's mother in law is named "Mari-Su".

And his common-law-wife, circa 25-30 years later, is his cousin. 17 generations removed or something - I'm not doing the math again.

...so would now be a good time to mention that, due to REASONS, we more-or-less rebooted the book with STH#252? Now's a great time to jump onboard.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ElPottoGrande posted:

And his common-law-wife, circa 25-30 years later, is his cousin. 17 generations removed or something - I'm not doing the math again.

...so would now be a good time to mention that, due to REASONS, we more-or-less rebooted the book with STH#252? Now's a great time to jump onboard.

It probably would be, it's a very good book, even though it was before the reboot, now it doesn't have 12 years of baggage that while used interestingly, was still baggage.

I take it you are no longer sick and nobody has to call Dubs to tell him that you're chatting on SA now instead of resting in bed.

Also we're entering the Unleashed Arc, and Unleashed Arc is best Arc... or at least it will be if you don't try to tell the entire game in 4 issues. Please do not try to tell the entire game in 4 issues, it never works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Issue 2: EggmanLand
Issue 3: Eggman Land
Issue 4: Eggman Land

• Locked thread