Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Endorph posted:

Issue 2: EggmanLand
Issue 3: Eggman Land
Issue 4: Eggman Land

Shouldn't it be
Issue 2: Eggman Land
Issue 3: Eggman Land, ending in a game over
Issue 4: Reprint issue 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Kurieg posted:

Shouldn't it be
Issue 2: Eggman Land
Issue 3: Eggman Land, ending in a game over
Issue 4: Reprint issue 2

Issue 5: A giant stone colossus getting ripped apart by laser beams every two panels.

Not going to lie, I loved most of Unleashed (even the Werehog parts, yes) except for the first part of the final boss. Gotta go slow as molasses, apparently!

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Verant posted:

Issue 5: A giant stone colossus getting ripped apart by laser beams every two panels.

Not going to lie, I loved most of Unleashed (even the Werehog parts, yes) except for the first part of the final boss. Gotta go slow as molasses, apparently!

No, see- you're moving super duper fast. However, in order to create an epic sense of scale, you are also absurdly far away. So instead of running 100 miles an hour over what is basically New york, you are moving at 100 times that speed, over a distance 1000 times the length.

So it just feels slow which is okay for a videogame about feeling like you are the fastest thing in the world... right?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, you weren't kidding when you said you had a non-existent update schedule. :v:

Back when I played this game [which was middle school so put my sense of taste somewhere way back down that range] I never remembered having a problem with it. Of course there's the fact that I didn't really have much else to play otherwise so who knows. I do remember being annoyed when I bounced off of the Marauders at the beginning of the game when you missed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Man, you weren't kidding when you said you had a non-existent update schedule. :v:

FUNNY YOU SHOULD MENTION THAT.

Update 6: Finding Frogs and other critically important adventures.

Previously on Sonic Chronicles, we found out the Marauders are actually a long-lost tribe of echidnas, leaving Knuckles to deal with the likely emotionally troubling fact that while he is no longer alone in the universe, he will now have to beat the poo poo out of his brethren. They're also about to steal Knuckles' precious Master Emerald. We should probably take immediate action...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb8egxYT-ug&t=20s

HAHAHAHA gently caress THAT. Moving the story along closes off the current zones of the game and we've not done all our sidequests, so we're going to knock them all out now. (Note: as we're just doing sidequests, I'll be skipping a lot of transit and so including the minimap to let people keep up with where I am). Starting off this update, we'll be heading back to our base at Tails' place to alter our lineup.

First things first, goodbye Big, hello Shadow.

Right now, we're only gonna give him his Chaos Spear move that he used against us, but that'll be more than effective against enemies. Okay, so we're set to go. But where to?

Oh yes, we did agree to hunt down a frog for Big. Big said this Norton the frog could be anywhere... but, well, spoiler alert, it's in Green Hill. Let's take off!

Ah, thank god I'm almost never gonna have to see this place again. Anyway, first off, we'll be heading to the top right corner of the map near our plane's landing site.

So, are we done? Whenever you get near, Big pipes up.

: Sorry, Mrs. Stevens. We won't bother you again!
: That wasn't him, Sonic. He must still be out there!

Uggghhh... there are actually 4 frogs, and you have to hunt them all down. The last one is always Norton.

Well, off we go for frog #2.

It's over the bridge...

and over near where we met Cream.

But it's not Norton

: No, you're not Norton. You're Mr. Billywick!
: You crazy scamp! Go back to your family!

Okay, Big, you're starting to get on my nerves here...

: Norton's still out there, Sonic. We have to find him!

Yeah, yeah. Frog #3 is-

HELLO looks like there's a ramp we haven't run up yet! MISSION PARAMETERS ALTERED: RAMP DAT poo poo

Oh hey pal what are you doing up here.

: My name is Dr. Madden. I've been... looking for these... signal projectors... here in Green Hill Zone.

: I noticed that the animals in Green Hill Zone were... acting strange, so I came to find out why.

Acting strange as in being more aggressive or acting strange as in growing to the size of a man, breaking the sound barrier on foot, and speaking English? :rimshot:

: Little did I know... I would be attacked! They... came out of nowhere! But I think... I know what's wrong. Someone is... sending a signal, controlling the animals!

: I believe so... yes. Ugh. Someone with powerful... technology. Like I've never seen before.
: We'll help you find the signal projectors.
: Oh, that's... wonderful!

: Thank you so much. I just hope... it's not too late for the animals.

Okay, so now we're doing two sidequests at the same time. If you notice our minimap though, Madden's thankfully gives us objective stars so you know where the hell to go, as opposed to Big's blind frog hunt. Since we do have objective stars, I'm moving towards the one in the top left (and I'll pick up frogs on the way).

By the way, it should be noted, since we just talked about the wild animals, that yes, they're still out...

...And they are huge pains in the rear end. The reason being that Sonic Chronicles does not scale enemy difficulty or XP, so anytime you run into them it's just a big pain of waiting for the battle to start, curbstomping them as fast as possible while sitting through battle animations, then sitting through winning your little post-game item along with your 10 XP. Random encounters are always a bother, but at least over in Blue Ridge they were challenging and provided a reward.

Moving along...

Man remember this guy? Good times. Keep on givin' out cheap rewards, gramps! Anyway, over to the left, we've got these two little islands that we couldn't visit back at the start when we didn't have a flier, but now, with Cream...

...it's a breeze. So is icing that laser drone.

Okay, that looks like a signal projector... I guess...

Well okay, now that Tails has said it, it must be true

: Let's shut it down!

Alright, all we do now is approach the machine, hit the action prompt, and

poo poo. Okay, so actually, it's just a Raptor Hawk. No big deal, we fought them last chapter. We are actually massively overleveled. Here's a video of me beating the tar out of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EqIYKJFG3w

Of course, that's not entertaining, is it? Well, you may have noticed that ol' Doc Madden is only separated from the rest of the stage by a ramp, which Sonic can run at any time. You could do this sidequest as early as Chapter 2 if you're some guy who's playing the game for the first time thinking you'll do some sidequests for easy XP. Guess what? Raptor Hawks are loving hard when you've got like, level 2 characters and one of them is Rouge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vptQSxBxo-0

Anyway...

Okay, one down.

And one more Chao egg grabbed.

So, I start heading for the bottom left star when I tried to grab this Chao egg and realized something.

I don't have a smashing character in the party at the moment. This is a problem. So we take a quick run back to base, trading out Eggman for Knuckles, since he can hit things and, spoiler alert, we'll need him to climb things later. (Eggman's fun to have as a character because, well, Eggman in fights, but his complete lack of field abilities does make him kind of dead weight when adventuring). Anyway, now that Knuckles is back...

Heh, gently caress you boxes. Then we take our friend the giant loop-de-loop down to the bottom

and start busting up more boxes.

then a quick journey to the left

to find our second projector. The exact same thing happens as before. Tails comes in, says same thing, same Raptor Hawk fight, same asskicking. Although I guess Knuckles was there, so... there's that.

Okay, now for the other thing we needed Knuckles for: climbing poo poo. Our final star is in the top middle. To get to it, we need to go over to our plane

Or really to the little hill next to it...

...because that's where we need to go.

A quick drone whuppin and egg collecting later, we're back on the move.

Well I'll be damned, isn't that convenient? (I'll be honest, when I was playing through this, I didn't really remember where the frogs were aside from the first two so this really was fortuitous.) Anyway, talk to me, Big.

: Oh, hey there, Gally!
: You shouldn't be out so late, Gally. Your mother would be very cross!

Yes, Big. Yes, he must.

Hey hey! Do you see what I see? (Not the Swatbot that's about to get wrecked)

And one last Raptor Hawk fight:

(look, just pretend they're hawks, okay? I'm bad enough at photoshop as is.)

: That's the last of them! The animals should stop attacking people now!
: Let's go tell Dr. Madden!

Yes, we will right away! We just need to take this conveniently located loop-de-loop. Actually, if I recall correctly, you have to take the x-treme way out here, the prompts for just jumping back to the right don't show up.

After that, a quick flight to the right gives us...

The last Chao egg for Green Hill! We also collected all the rings as well, check that counter! Only a couple of frogs stand between us and being done with Green Hill! First though, Dr. Madden's literally on the ledge below us,

so let's pop down and close out this quest.

: I don't know for sure, but I have my suspicions. If you ask me, it's those blasted Marauders! They've been causing trouble all over. I think they were using the animals to do their bidding. That's why they attacked me!

:Please take this. I brought supplies for my time out here, but thanks to you, I don't need them. I... I can make my own way home. Thank you so much for your help.

Wooo... :geno: well, it's kind of a poo poo reward but it's interesting to note that the good doctor is right: animals like the armadillos and boars won't be attacking us any more after this quest. It's just robots now. Well, and wasps. Wasps are just naturally pricks I guess, and don't need any projector to make 'em go nuts.

Okay, so now we just have the last frog. And we've been all over this level. I won't lie, it took me an embarrassing amount of time of wandering around and walking inside of hideouts to perform a frog sweep before I figured out. Guess where you'll never ever think to go for any reason?

Look familiar? It's literally next to the starting location of the game. God that was frustrating. Anyway, let's wrangle a frog.

: Thanks, Sonic. Froggy feels much better now!

:toot:

And that's it for Green Hill. We've collected all the Chao eggs, rings, and completed all the quests.

Now let's get the gently caress outta here.

Next on the list is Central City. Wait a minute...

8/8 Chao? 110/110 rings? And there's no sidequests left here because we did them all (stuff like the Wasp Queen) earlier. So... I guess we're done with Central City too? Okay...

2 areas down, 2 to go. Next up let's hit our most recently unlocked area, Blue Ridge Zone.

One thing I didn't bother to show off last time is the shop up to the right of the plane.

It's the second one yet and it's super-weird because it's off to the side and it's in an area that (if the player skips sidequests) you'll be in for all of 2 seconds before locking yourself out of the area and never even seeing the place. Oh well.

Also notable is that WOW that root cures too much HP. And it's not just overpowered for where I'm at in the game or anything, I doubt any of our characters will have 250 HP at the endgame. I kind of wonder if they wanted to make a "Heal all damage" item, but for some reason put in a ludicrously high HP value. The POW Drink item is the same way, it cures 50 PP, which (again) we will never have any character come anywhere close to.

Anyway, let's check out some of these wacky items.

NIFTY

TASTY

Interesting, but do you just have some athletic tape for me to wrap around my current shoes? Also, I like the fact that Big uses the same shoes as the girls because he's chill and wears flip-flops all the time.

Goddamn, those last gloves looks like iron gauntlets.

I'm not up to date on anthropomorphic animal fashion, but I wouldn't call that dress "pretty". But we buy it anyway, because man, those bonuses are nifty, as well as the Stiff Sneakers and then our wallet's pretty much tapped.

Back to the game though, let's talk to this guy who's over near the... wild west saloon doors.

: Sonic! Help! I just realized that when I left work at the factory last night, I forgot to shut off the breakers.

CNN Report: Tragedy strikes as Blue Ridge power grid explodes, plunging land into darkness, rude dude with 'tude could not be reached for comment; too busy mouthing off to strangers, berating one-sided love interest

: Right. It's just north of here. I don't think there's anything that will slow you down... but I don't really remember. Come back and let me know how it went, okay? And please hurry!

Pressing issue, schmessing issue, we're gonna try to take on all of these quests at once, not one at a time, so let's ignore the imminent grid blowout and check out other things. Things like this weird ramp on the other side of town.

Ha ha what? In case you didn't grasp what happened, that ramp shot us over that... area (plateau? mesa? I don't really know geological terminology) and landed us over... on another side of it that's easily accessible by running. The ramp served literally no purpose, other than showing you where a Chao egg is, I guess.

Anyway, moving down to the lower left corner of the map, we find this extremely tiny house.

Oh, Bioware, really? A "Timmy in the well" joke in 2007? I don't know whether to groan or just be impressed at the sheer audacity to use that and think you're clever.

: I don't know. I always tell him not to play out there, but the one moment I'm not watching, there he goes!

: Great! He fell into a well to the north. He must be so scared!
: Thank you!

Cool. So next we head down south of the old man's hut. There's a small path that only leads one way and hey!

It's our old pal the Shield Pawn. I only included this to note this.

Shadow can break armor. God I love this it is so much better than the last update.

Anyway, chao egg gotten.

Moving to the right of the house, we find a spring that lets us get up onto that plateau we flew over before.

And up here we find, not one

but two chao eggs

Anyway, after that, we get back on the trail from the last update and head up to the Klondike sign.

...and then head behind it.

... because that's where we find our well.

(How far down a well could we go?)

Geez forget I asked. Alright, who the hell is this guy.

: Timmy? No... Oh, no. Have you been speaking to my father? My name is Timothy. My father's getting on in age. He seems to think I'm still ten years old.

Why would you seal cracks? There's no water or anything. Why does this well exist?

: It means I wasn't in any danger. My father's just a kook. Anyway, I was more or less done here, so I'll just go with you. You can help me carry my stuff. Let's go.

Oookay? By the way, eagle-eyed readers may have spotted the fact that Bioware artists kind of got lazy and/or just stopped giving a poo poo here in the picture department. Timmy Timothy is the guy who has been giving standing nearby every single puzzle offering to give us tips. See, here he is last update:

Lazy or just resourceful? I report, you decide!

Anyway, leaving the well, there's a ramp just slightly to the left,

and we're gonna take it.

This lets us go up to the left and fly over the annoying display from last update's puzzle

...and hit a spring to bring us to another Chao egg.

After jumping down from that ledge, it lets us off near another spring to the right

that leads to another egg

Alright, that was a big distraction, let's get Timmy Timothy home!

Oh hey, while I'm here, Timmy's dad is reused art too, although his is even more interesting. See, Timmy's dad's picture is the same one used for the old woodsman from the beginning of Green Hill Zone! But like I said, it gets more interesting, because the old woodsman's sprite in the field matches the art. Same color clothes and all. But Timmy's dad is wearing blue on the field. Whatever, right? Just lazy. Except Tim's dad has a mugshot buried on the cartridge! It's the woodsman in different clothes, so why didn't they use that? It's just... mind boggling. Anyway, sorry I went off on a tangent, let's get this full-grown man back to his senile father.

: Are you all right, son?
: Yes, Father. I'm fine. Just like I am every day when I get home from work.

: Very funny.
: You do know your son is a full grown man, right?
: Oh, they grow up so fast, don't they? Soon he'll be riding his bike... all by himself! Now let's go home, Timmy! Your mother is so worried!
: For the last time, Father, it's TIMOTHY!

Ha ha, dementia.

Okay, well played on the quest reward, Bioware. Well played.

Alright, let's go ahead and do that other sidequest I suppose and save the power plant. Jumping over to the bridge here, and heh, look at this comedic outhouse Bioware threw in...

Cute.

Oh what Jesus Christ.

His taxes, Sonic. What do you think?

: Don't worry about me, buddy. I'm just mindin' my own business.

: Hey, why not? Sometimes a person needs reading material, you know! If you happen to find a newspaper, just come on back. I guarantee you I'll be here. Good talkin' to ya!

Funny thing, if you turn down this guy's quest, he'll still pester you whenever you pass by. Like, "hey I know you said no but I'm super bored gimme a newspaper."

So okay, I guess let's go get that hand from Majora's Mask a newspaper. (I was gonna finish the power plant quest, but realized I needed a character with the Smash skill so I needed to go back to town and readjust my party anyway. So we pick up the fightin' freak Knuckles...

who has leveled up :toot:

And then we head to get the newspaper. Okay kids, where do we get the newspaper? This one's easy!... if you've ever set foot inside a store.

Yes, it's just an item in the Blue Ridge store. You might've spied it earlier in the item list in my item photo barrage. It costs 1 whole ring so you'd have to actively try to be too broke to buy a copy. Anyway, let's get back to that shitter.

Fun fact: these dots actually fly around the outhouse because I guess they're flies attracted to the stank. I think it's a nice touch.

Extortion: Way Past Cool.

: Uhm, I don't have much, but I do have this thing someone left in here.

: Awesome. Awesome! Just hand it under the door there, buddy. Thanks, buddy. Be seein' ya!

ALTERNATE ENDING posted:

: Aw, man! Why? Oh well. I'm sure you have your reasons. Good talkin' to you, buddy.

There are no real bad ends though, you can go back and repeat the conversation string over and give the guy his newspaper.

Anyway, quest reward is...

Oh Bioware, you cards. (In case you do not get the joke, prune juice helps you poo poo... which leads to the question of why in the world is it a power up in a Sonic game...)

Anyway, let's finally, finally, go save this power plant

QUAID STOP THE REACTOR

: Why? What's this all about?
: If you pull the switch, you'll blow up the whole factory!
: What?! Oh, for crying out loud. Did Johnson forget to close the breakers again? I tell you, that man would forget his head if it wasn't attached to his body.
: I'll go reset the breakers before turning on main power.
: But you better believe that Johnson's getting a talking-to!

Well, thank goodness they waited for me to get that guy a magazine before flipping a switch...

Anyway, you may have noticed there are two large loop-de-loops to the left of the plant, let's get them out of the way.

Up on top of this bluff we find yet another ramp and a row of boxes...

... behind which is another Chao egg.

The ramp, however, you don't want to take. The ramp is a trap that leads back to a spot we've already been (right around the point we were egg hunting with Cream and had Timmy in our pocket). The game even taunts you by showing you the Chao egg that you are missing in the middle of your unstoppable animation.

Where you actually want to go is on top of the plant right behind where the plant manager/foreman was standing.

and under the ramp to get to the goods.

Anyway, let's go finish our sidequest. I mean, technically it's over because the day is saved, but we don't get the reward XP until we tell Johnson that the day is saved and that his boss is gonna kill him.

: You did it! I'm so relieved.

: Here. Take this. I was going to bribe my boss with it, but I don't really need it now. I'd better get to work before I'm fired for being late!

You thought a candy bar was gonna be enough of a bribe to get your boss to forget that you nearly blew up your workplace? These people, man. Sidequest done! Time for a little healthy parkour.

Oh hoppin' on peoples' roofs, always such fun. Never know what you'll find. Like eggs.

Or giant hawks...

or big springs that launch you up to towers that lead you to more eggs on watertowers.

by the way, this is not the game poorly putting Cream in position, that's me cutting out the 200 or so frames of me dicking around

Oh, and this is the last Chao egg in Blue Ridge! :toot:

Meanwhile, the last three rings were over here, if you were keeping up with our ring count (why would you be?)

One last thing to do in Blue Ridge...

You may have noticed this fine gentleman hanging around this sign before. Or not. He's an NPC, they all kind of blend together after a while.

In another example of lazy art reuse, this is the GUN Commander from Chapter 2. You remember him, right?

: Oh, please, you must help me. We were attacked by Marauders! I barely escaped!

Well, okay, maybe he is the commander. He just came out on a mission and wants to go home. There is a Shield Pawn wandering around like 5 feet away from him.

: I am an inspector with GUN, sent here to investigate rumors that the Marauders have taken Metropolis.

Okay then, not the commander, definitely a different guy. Same picture though.

: I came here with a team of soldiers, but when we were attacked... I ran okay? I got scared and ran away! That's right! Everyone laugh at the coward!
: Heh. Coward.

: Thank you thank you thank you!
: If you could escort me as far as Station Square, I would be most grateful.

Sure pal. Whenever you walk into town, he pops out and walks up to you kind of like the little kid from "Emerald Town" did last update (however long ago that was...)

: You are a national hero, Sonic. A paragon of virtue!

: Now, I must be off! Farewell, Sonic!
: Ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha!
: Hey! He was really scared!
: What? That was funny!
: Let's get back to work, team!

Actually let's not! There's no work left because that's officially the last sidequest in Blue Ridge Zone!

Now we only have to clear out the Mystic Ruins!... okay, here's the thing. Mystic Ruins actually doesn't have any sidequests. Weird, right? The only things you do there are mandatory by the story. So all we have to do is collect Chao and rings. Since that's boring as hell, I'm just not going to show it. There are a couple of interesting things I want to point out about the area real quick though...

For one, here's the alternate entrance to the Ruins. The first time you travel here, you may remember, you have to fly in because GUN's blocking you from running there. However, after you get Knuckles, the anonymous GUN guy goes away and you can run there; this location is where you come out.

If you run a bit north...

...well, there's a gas cloud, but if you use Big to run through that (yes we got Big for this he's pretty much necessary if you intend to do anything in Mystic Ruins), then you run into this.

HELLO.

Meet the Colossal Worm. It's a weird monster because there are only two of it in the whole game and they're right in this area. They have this little mini-cutscene intro like a miniboss, but the worms aren't guarding anything. They have no rare drop, they're not part of a sidequest, and they never respawn or appear again in any other area of the game. Weird.

Colossal Worm

HP: 195
Special Attacks: Acid Spit, Swallow

Difficulty Level: 2/10
Notes: Like I said, Colossal Worms are weird. They seem like minibosses but they're really not hard. Granted, I'm fighting them at a point when I'm probably overleveled, but still, their basic attack (slamming down on top of you) does very little damage. Acid Spit is a generic attack that hits all characters but doesn't even inflict status effects. The only interesting thing the worm has going for it is Swallow, which is an Instant KO, but the prompt to avoid it is so easy, you'd have to be painfully bad to screw it up. Or trying to fail it. Which is what I did...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70-n_F7K0Ns

Here's me fighting the worm and making no attempts to dodge any of its attacks. Cream gets eaten at one point, but whatever. Worm eats rabbit, circle of life... I think.

Mystic Ruins' only other indigenous life form we haven't seen yet is the Giant Millipede. It doesn't have an intro. They're just crawlin' around all over the place out here.

Giant Millipede

HP: 100
Special Attacks: Rollerball, Regenerate

Difficulty Level: 1/10
Notes: Pfft, how adorable. Their attack is actually kinda powerful, but their accuracy is poo poo. Rollerball's inflicts you with Sluggish I guess, but doesn't do any additional damage. Also they regenerate health every turn you don't kill them but whatever. Millipedes' only threat is that there are a bunch of them all over the place and they're annoying as hell to fight.

Only other thing of note is the scenery. Mystic Ruins has a couple of neat level details that are sometimes hard to catch or that don't stand out as well as they should (or don't look as pretty due to the game's lovely fog effect). Check out this pretty map that someone found online though!

See, in the center you can see what I presume is Big's house, because the island behind it has another fishing rod. Also of note are all the echidna statues lying around. The Mystic Ruins were where you always flashed back to Knuckles' ancestors living in Sonic Adventure 1... but there was a big-rear end Mayan temple but we'll just chalk that up to art differences. Anyway it's all interesting because they're supposed to be this great dead race but now they're alive again. PLOT!

Anyway, that's Mystic Ruins. If you want to see me stumble around like a jackass hunting for Chao eggs for some reason, have a video.

Now we're done with sidequests, let's get back to that cave.

: Once we enter these tunnels, we will be in the Metropolis underground. From there, we mount our assault.
: Sounds dangerous.
: Sounds stupid.
: Sounds like our only way in.
: Please, my furry friends. After you! Ha ha ha ha ha!

Woo finally officially on a new chapter!

Welcome to the new base!

: Wow.
: I have to hand it to you, Eggman, you really saved us this time.
: Please. Don't remind me.
: There's no time to lose! We need a plan!
: My awesome fortifications ensure we'll have warning if the echidnas should come looking for us. Don't mind the teleporter over there. It hasn't worked for ages.
: Great. Everyone rest for a bit, and we'll come up with a plan when we're ready.

: Still, maybe just go see how he's doing?

Alternate Renegade Path posted:

: You don't really mean that, do you? Knuckles is our friend!

Well Tails I'd talk to Knuckles but he's all the way over there and geez what a walk, let's talk to Shadow.

: Look, Sonic. I'm not the here to be nice to you. I'm here because you're my best chance at finding Omega.

: The Marauders will get theirs in due time. Especially if I find out they're involved in Omega's disappearance.
: Tell me about what happened to E-123 Omega.
: I don't know. We've lost touch. But knowing him, he likely detected Eggman robots in Metropolis and went there to destroy them.

: Omega's strong, but he's not invincible. And he's hardheaded enough to charge into danger without thinking.

: It couldn't tell me where, exactly. So either the device was useless, or Omega's not giving off a signal anymore. That worries me.
: We'll find him.
: If those Marauders have done something to him, they have no idea what's coming to them. I'll stick with you until we find Omega, Sonic. But don't expect me to join in on your group hugs and picnics.

Okay, now let's talk to Knuckles.

: I--I'm fine. It's just...
: I thought I was the last echidna. All my people died out, and I was the only one left.
: But now, here comes Shade. She's an echidna! And the Nocturnus Clan Maruauders. All echidnas!

: I guess. Maybe she just wants to bring her people back. I know I would.
: If we meet them again, we will have to stop them.

: Not much. Though... there is an old legend in echidna history about an echidna race called the Nocturnus Clan.
: Long ago, the Nocturnus Clan ruled much of the known world, crushing everyone in its path.
: They were rivaled only by my ancestors, led by their chief, Pachacamac. But at the height of their power, the Nocturnus Clan disappeared. The whole civilization.

: Maybe. I don't know. But Shade said something about returning to this world.

: Thanks.
: Don't worry. I'll be ready to fight when the time comes.

PLOT!

Let's do everyone's favorite part of the game.

: Oh, Sonic. I wanted to talk to you.

: Well, you do. You make me so mad sometimes! But if you don't mean it, I guess I can forgive you. Only if you don't do it again!
: I better go get everything ready for the attack on Metropolis. Thanks, Sonic!

ALTERNATELY posted:

: I see. Then I won't bother you anymore. I... I have stuff to do. I....

See, I've never gone full rear end in a top hat in this game before so frankly I don't know what happens from here. Does Amy really never try to get romantic with Sonic after this? I'm not sure. But I'm concerned that if she doesn't, we can't really maximize the amout of dialogue in the game (and the level to which Sonic is the worst person anthropomorphic animal alive). So I decided to play it the other way instead

Next let's talk to Eggman.

: Ah, Sonic. Isn't it lovely, you and I, working together?

: Yes, well. It seems as if your friend Tails might have other ideas. Smart kid, that. He understands my brilliance.

: Sh! Not so loud! I have an evil reputation to uphold!
: We will destroy those Marauders! Ha ha ha ha ha!
: Er, and by "destroy" I mean "bring to justice." Yes. Ahem.

Alright that wraps this up, let's talk to Tails and get this show on the road.

: Everyone, gather around!
: We have a plan?
: We do! But it won't be easy.
: My calculations say that Angel Island will be directly over Metropolis in a matter of moments.
: If you want to save your Master Emerald, you'll have to hurry. My calculations never lie.
: It sounded like Shade didn't have the Master Emerald yet. If she did, this place would be swarming with Nocturnus Clan echidnas.

: Why are you so worried about Dexter? You'd... you'd think he was YOUR boyfriend!
: Wow.
: Moving on.
: I, of course, anticipated this event. I have, in my advanced weaponry lab, the perfect machine for the job.
: Given time, I and my powerful scientific mind could rig up a weapon to help against our foes. We will be unstoppable! Ha ha ha ha ha!
: Metropolis is crawling with bad guys, though. You'd never get there by yourself.

: What else do we need to know? It's my job to protect the Master Emerald, whatever the cost.

Again, great job with that

: The Nocturnus Clan must have some way of getting onto Angel Island.

: You still don't trust me, Sonic? Why, I'm hurt. Ha ha ha ha ha ha!
: We have a common enemy, my blue friend. And even if we didn't, I've given up, remember? You've won, Sonic! The great Doctor Eggman is no longer a threat!

: Protecting the Chaos Emeralds is my responsibility. Mine alone.

: All right, Sonic. But stay out of my way.
: Let's split up into two teams.
: Right!

: What about the rest of us?
: We'll divide into two teams, like this:

NEXT TIME: TWO TERRIBLY ILL-EQUIPPED CHARACTERS TAKE ON A ROBOT ARMY

Okay, really, this is probably the game's neatest section in my opinion. You split the team into Team Sonic and Team Tails. As you can see, Sonic and Knuckles are going to Angel Island while Tails and Eggman are building a cannon down on the ground in Metropolis. Both teams have two open slots. So it's VOTING TIME!

EACH TEAM NEEDS TWO ADDITIONAL MEMBERS. VOTE BETWEEN:

• Amy
  • Big
  • Rouge
  • Cream
  • Shadow

for your choices! A couple of things that I'd like to mention to not-so-subtly influence voting: Tails can heal and Sonic and Knuckles can't. Neither Tails or Eggman have attacks that can pierce armor and the next section has lots of metal robots
. That is all.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 17, 2015

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Shadow and Big go with Tails.

Amy and Cream go with Sonic.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Sonic, Knuckles, Amy, and Cream
Tails, Robuttnik, Rouge, and Shadow

Flipped a coin between Shadow and Big.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Senerio posted:

I agree with this.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh man.
You really delivered on this.

Never stop photoshopping, ever.

Concurring with the above.

XaviortheSavior
Nov 21, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'll go with this.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

quote:

See, I've never gone full rear end in a top hat in this game before so frankly I don't know what happens from here. Does Amy really never try to get romantic with Sonic after this? I'm not sure. But I'm concerned that if she doesn't, we can't really maximize the amout of dialogue in the game (and the level to which Sonic is the worst person anthropomorphic animal alive). So I decided to play it the other way instead.

As far as I recall there's some dialogue late in the game that goes a completely different direction if you're consistently mean to Amy. I don't know if you can always get it or if you have to have been mean to her the whole game but it's worth keeping in mind.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

As painful as the writing can be for this game, I do like how earnest Shadow is about finding Omega. There's no bullshit tsundere undertones, no making up excuses about repaying a debt. His friend is in trouble and he's worried. Its small, but I like it.

Senerio posted:

Seems good to me.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I think Knuckles should stop beating around the bush about this. It's not his duty to protect the Master Emerald anymore; it's his duty to retrieve it. He's not a nanny so much as a truancy officer.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

As painful as the writing can be for this game, I do like how earnest Shadow is about finding Omega. There's no bullshit tsundere undertones, no making up excuses about repaying a debt. His friend is in trouble and he's worried. Its small, but I like it.

It's kinda like earlier in the thread with those comic scans of Shadow talking about his government-issued motorcycle. Shadow's at his best as a character when he's just kind of a dude with tendencies towards grouchiness and broodiness, instead of the Vegeta wannabe we were introduced to in SA2.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh wow, so you just like spiting people when they bring up your update speed huh? <:mad:>

quote:

Tails, Robuttnik, Big, and Shadow

I'm too lazy to pick out a set up so this'll work.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This is what I was going to say, so I guess thanks for saving me the trouble.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

This seems like a mistake.

This is pretty definitely a mistake. Also, you messed up the URL for dumbmistake.gif.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yep, that looks like a winning team to me.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Shadow and Rouge get additional dialogue in a side quest that I believe only Tails and Eggman can get to. Though that said, I do not know how that side quest goes with only one/neither of them present. Also Sonic and Knuckles need a level 2 fly movement ability in their team to grab everything in an area you can not go back to, and I think Knux's glide only counts as a level 1. So...

Sonic/Knux, Cream, Big.
Tails/Eggman, Shadow, Rouge.

Big could be Amy, but she's needed quite a bit coming up, so him for the sake of variety.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Cream and Big go with Sonic and Knuckles.

Shadow and Amy go with Tails and Eggman, but this doesn't matter as much, since they still have access to the base to switch around with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arcade Rabbit posted:

This is honestly way more thought than anyone should really give the Sonic plot, but I agree. It actually fits really well - the first and only friend he ever really had got gunned down in front of him, I imagine he'd be pretty protective of the few people he let in after that.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Bingo

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I just love that this update really makes it clear how the levels that you run around in are all one flat picture and your characters are walking around on it. The shadow just disappears and reappears to give the illusion of being really high or close to the ground. :allears:

Senerio posted:

Also this, and ditto on the photoshop stuff, those really helped the update.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you

Senerio posted:

Voting for this, go original Team Dark!

For all the sins this game and '06 committed, one thing they got right was Shadow. It's great that they figured out how to write him well...after he got his own game.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Sonic, Knuckles, Cream, Big
Tales, Robotnik, Amy, Shadow

Lets balance these teams out juuuuuust a little, k?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Oh wow, so you just like spiting people when they bring up your update speed huh? <:mad:>

YES :colbert:

Actually this one took incredibly long because I got a new job that's been draining my will to live time, so it was always gonna take a while. Also because... well look at this update. I tried to make it interesting, but at the end, it's all sidequests, which makes it dull as poo poo to play through and pick out screenshots to make up this update.

It was just hilarious timing that you happened to post so close to me actually knuckling down and finishing this update.

Dabir posted:

This seems like a mistake.

This is pretty definitely a mistake. Also, you messed up the URL for dumbmistake.gif.

Thanks for catching those! Big's drat dialogue around those frogs gets so repetitive my eyes just kind of glazed over it looking at the first draft. I guess I owe you a reward. Your prune juice should be arriving on Saturday.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TwoPair posted:

YES :colbert:

Actually this one took incredibly long because I got a new job that's been draining my will to live time, so it was always gonna take a while. Also because... well look at this update. I tried to make it interesting, but at the end, it's all sidequests, which makes it dull as poo poo to play through and pick out screenshots to make up this update.

It was just hilarious timing that you happened to post so close to me actually knuckling down and finishing this update.

Oh yes sure it's just :airquote:coincidence:airquote: that you bring a monster of an update at the same time as me making a joke about you becoming SA's new ProtonJon? I AIN'T DRINKIN' THAT KOOL-AID SISTER!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Paused posted:

Sonic/Knux, Cream, Big.
Tails/Eggman, Shadow, Rouge.

Big could be Amy, but she's needed quite a bit coming up, so him for the sake of variety.
This one.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dr. Buttass posted:

I think Knuckles should stop beating around the bush about this. It's not his duty to protect the Master Emerald anymore; it's his duty to retrieve it. He's not a nanny so much as a truancy officer.

It's kinda like earlier in the thread with those comic scans of Shadow talking about his government-issued motorcycle. Shadow's at his best as a character when he's just kind of a dude with tendencies towards grouchiness and broodiness, instead of the Vegeta wannabe we were introduced to in SA2.

Agreed. Shadow is a pretty decent character when he's not brooding or raging. Especially when paired with a wackier character like the comics often do.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Jesus, you can be a right dick to Amy if you feel like it. That's way past uncool, Sonic.

The teleporter in the corner of the new base totally gets used later, doesn't it?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This is my vote as well!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Photoshops are wonderful, keep going with them.

Points of no return aren't so wonderful.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Points of No Return are fine as long as they're temporary and flagged as such in plain text. Like not a character coyly going "We should prepare before going onwards" but a "(This is a point of no return make sure you've done all you want to before proceeding Y/N)"

Putting a save point between the PoNR and the final boss is also a giant dick move that needs to stop being done, ever.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Putting a save point between the PoNR and the final boss is also a giant dick move that needs to stop being done, ever.
So you don't mind going through a long dungeon, wiping at the very end and being forced to do it all again?

As long as it's clearly labeled, there isn't any reason to remove save points after the PoNR.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Nihilarian posted:

So you don't mind going through a long dungeon, wiping at the very end and being forced to do it all again?

As long as it's clearly labeled, there isn't any reason to remove save points after the PoNR.

As long as it's a game with multiple save slots. If you can't save in a different slot to give you the option to go back if you REALLY gently caress up, what's the point?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TwoPair posted:

: Sh! Not so loud! I have an evil reputation to uphold!
: We will destroy those Marauders! Ha ha ha ha ha!
: Er, and by "destroy" I mean "bring to justice." Yes. Ahem.

So, is he trying to preserve his evil reputation or not? :psyduck:

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The impression I get from this is that he's pandering to Sonic and his crew to show he's "good." It's probably just an episode of Bioware.txt

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The answer is probably 'yes'.

He's big on his own rep, mostly because of his ego. Of course, his rep is EVIL rep so he mustb be EVIL...right?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Okay voting's closed I guess. Team Sonic is, by overwhelming majority, Sonic, Knuckles, Cream, and Amy. Team Tails is Tails, Eggman, Shadow, and... you motherfuckers voted me to use Rouge the Goddamn Bat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48_S5WpHIXE&t=25s

Whatever though. I'll do it. Anyway, it's time for VOTING ROUND 2: REVENGEANCE. This is an idea I'd had back at the thread's inception that might blow back in my face spectacularly but hey, let's give it a shot. I've been purposefully not upgrading all our characters' POW moves for the last several updates whenever they leveled up and I'm gonna let the thread vote on how to spend the points they've accrued. I think I explained how the system works well enough back in the first update. Although if I didn't or if it's just been so long everyone's forgotten, here's a refresher course using Shadow from the last update.

See, Shadow's got 15 points to burn. He can buy level 3 of his Chaos Spear attack, or he can buy level 1 of all his other attacks. Or you could buy level 1 Chaos Rift for 5 points then level 2 for the other 10. Anyway, sorry for patronizing you, thread readers who grasped what I was getting at instantly.

Listed below are the characters going into the next update as well as how many points they have to burn and what moves are available to them, and what moves they already have. Also gifs of all of said moves! (Some of the gifs are tiny because Chronicles loves drawn-out animations and LPix has a size limit. Also pretty much all the gifs aren't gonna feature much damage being done because I was using a Shield Pawn as my test subject)

Sonic:

15 Points Remaining

Will Sonic max out Axe Kick? Remember, just because Tails isn't with us at the moment doesn't mean we can't invest in co-op opportunities with him in the future. Man, Triple Tornado has too many drat frames, huh? I'll say! Makes it hard for a guy to make a .gif of!

Tails:

15 Points Remaining

Big:

15 POW points Remaining

Big's not coming on the next mission, but hell, might as well go ahead and vote on him since he's the only one getting left out.

Knuckles:

15 Points Remaining

Many of Knuckles' moves revolve around team-ups so choosing which to invest in really kind of chooses who you plan to put him on a team with for much of the game. Or just Uppercut all day every day.

Cream:

15 Points Remaining

All of Cream's moves look identical so I just put the one gif in there. It's just cheer, status/cure happens, rinse, repeat. It's really just pick what kind of healing/buff machine you want her to be.

Amy:

20 Points Remaining

Amy has a whopping 20 points remaining since really I mainly use her as part of Sonic's Fastball attack...

Hmm... invest in buffs, invest in more solo power, invest in teamwork. Choices abound!

Eggman:

10 Points Remaining.

On the flipside, Eggman doesn't really have many choices. It's basically just: Should Eggman keep hoarding points to max out Bombardment or go ahead and start Sabotaging?

Shadow:

15 Points Remaining

Should he go ahead and max out the spears? Gamble with the Rift? Wait for more moves to open up?

Rouge:

10 Points Remaining

Wait, 10 Points? How? I don't even remember buying Rising Knuckle and god knows I never use her... whatever. Anyway, pick.

Tornado Kick blows, do not choose it.

Alternately, vote for
  • this voting system is contrived as hell and I don't like it at all
if you want me to not take the thread into consideration when picking moves

I'll keep the poll open until next Saturday which is when I'll have time off to record more footage/start working on an update.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 3, 2014

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sonic: axe kick
Tails: Medibot
Knuckles: Revolver Slam, save 5
Big: Froggy Rain2 Feel no pain1
Cream: Revive 2x
Amy: low blow3 blow kiss
Eggman: save for bombard 3
Shadow: chaos spear
Rogue: plunder, save 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
gently caress the vote, we already voted Rouge in so it should be abundantly clear we cannot be trusted to make good decisions.

• Locked thread