Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
I guess that's why he only had 2 POW skills then.

Anyway, Omega and Shade and a bye on the third member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Serpentis posted:

Anyway, Omega and Shade and Tails on the third member.

Gotta have someone who can fly.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

two pair posted:

: Then the legends are true.

Wait a loving minute.

How can you confirm that a legend is coming true and then say you have no idea what the legend is in the same breath?

"Guys, look! Atlantis is rising from the sea!"
"Sure looks that way, and what's an 'atlantis'?"

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
From what I've experienced, you need Omega for an upcoming fight to not drive you insane, so throwing one in for him (plus he's the best party member). I don't care who the other 2 are.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So in the list of "people misled by the bad guys and fighting against Sonic only to come around in the end and team up" we have Knuckles, Shadow, Silver, and Shade. Are hedgehogs and echidnas the most gullible creatures in the animal kingdom?

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
You forgot Blaze. :v:

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

MR. J posted:

You forgot Blaze. :v:

She wasn't misled :v:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

majormonotone posted:

She wasn't misled :v:

Yeah, she was just tunnel vision focused and fought Sonic for slowing her down by trying to figure out what's going on. So hedgehogs and echidnas are gullible while cats are obsessive.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Geostomp posted:

Yeah, she was just tunnel vision focused and fought Sonic for slowing her down by trying to figure out what's going on. So hedgehogs and echidnas are gullible while cats are obsessive.

But Big's not oh wait yes he is

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
You can get by with Sonic/Shadow + Amy's Blow Kiss with the way damage works and Sonic having three turns. Sonic + power boosting item also works for that one fight.

But regardless: Amy, Shade, Shadow. Team SASS.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, the RPG does need its Geno. Don't think she'll turn into a giant beam weapon any time soon, though.

If this was all an elaborate ruse on Eggman's part I'm going to laugh so hard.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
Shade, Shadow, Omega.

Team grimdark is go!

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Shade, Shadow, Omega.

Team grimdark is go!

I'm going with this too. I don't want you to suffer without Omega.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Shade, Shadow, Omega.

Team grimdark is go!

Thirded

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Shade, Shadow, Omega.

Team grimdark is go!

The only team. Make that four for this one.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Shade, Shadow, Omega.

Team grimdark is go!

This seems like flawless reasoning.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Shade, Shadow, Omega.

Team grimdark is go!

This can only lead to the most amusing dialogue. :allears:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Shade, Shadow, Big.

Team grimdark is go!
fixed that for you

deadly mawk
Sep 7, 2010

I love how slapdash most of these party icons are. doesn't even look like he has a mustache -- in fact, he mostly looks like Mr. Dink from Doug sporting shades.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
To be fair, it's hard to cram both a grinning face and a giant nose and mustache in only a few pixels of space.

The game pretty much is Unfinished Assets: The Game, though. I feel like I've already said this before.

deadly mawk
Sep 7, 2010

Oh, I don't want to give the wrong impression -- I'm absolutely thrilled by the idea of Mr. Dinkman.

"Get a load of this, Sonic! Very expensive."

Tempestas Leo
Jul 16, 2014
I'm shocked we went this far without talking about Eggman's pimp stride when he does bombardment.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

CzarChasm posted:

Wait a loving minute.

How can you confirm that a legend is coming true and then say you have no idea what the legend is in the same breath?

"Guys, look! Atlantis is rising from the sea!"
"Sure looks that way, and what's an 'atlantis'?"

I'd assume it's more 'I know about the legend but never actually heard the legend itself.'
Like, I know what Atlantis is even without never having actually read/heard/seen the legend.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

LifeofaGuardian posted:

I'd assume it's more 'I know about the legend but never actually heard the legend itself.'
Like, I know what Atlantis is even without never having actually read/heard/seen the legend.

You know come to think of it I'm not entirely certain there is a specific legend about Atlantis, any more than there is about Bigfoot. The legend is just "It's there, and also here's a physical description of it."

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

Dr. Buttass posted:

You know come to think of it I'm not entirely certain there is a specific legend about Atlantis, any more than there is about Bigfoot. The legend is just "It's there, and also here's a physical description of it."

Well, I mean, obviously lots of people have made up things about Atlantis, but Plato did it first.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Hello! Somebody asked about alternate character dialogue in the divided up section of the previous sections, and although I didn't think there was any, after much save-stating and replaying, some segments were found. Here's some stuff from Update 6, with additional stuff added. I'm mostly just quoting just enough to where it'll make sense in this post, but I'll be going to edit the original update in case you get lost and want to understand just what's going on:

We'll start with the very beginning when we enter the sewer. Before we just had Rouge, but Shadow also has dialogue here.

quote:

Ah, welcome to the scenic sewers of lower Metropolis.

: We've been through here before, I think. Last time we brought down Eggman.

: Looks like you forgot to clean up when you were done.

: Listen. It sounds like we're not alone.

Nobody else though.

Everybody's a lot more talkative when they're on Team Eggman though. Case in point, when Eggman and Tails go to get the first part of their weapon to fight off the Marauders, everybody has something to say (except for Shadow):

quote:

As soon as you get near this satellite-dish-thingy, Eggman will cut in to talk to you.

: Ionic de-what-ulator?
: Oh, I couldn't begin to explain it to one such as yourself.

Notably, that one Tails picture doesn't show up if Amy's there. Eggman just needs someone to question what the defragulator does so he can condescend to them and move the scene along. Next up is the scene where Team Sonic decides to hijack the airship:

quote:

And on that note we jump back to Team Sonic. Hey look a cutscene!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVKMkEhdYoI

(Gosh who would've figured they were using planes to get to the floating island... :rolleyes:)

: No, we're not. If we can stow away on one of the airships, we can get to Angel Island just as they do.

: Not what I'd call a romantic cruise.

: We get to fly?

: If we're fast enough, that just might work.

Cool, let's rock...

This next one has 3 different takes, depending on which character you have in your party:

quote:

So now that we're out of the tunnels, it's time for our characters to get chatty for a bit:

: What have they done to... Argh! Those Marauder fools! Don't they know they've invited the wrath of Doctor Eggman?!

TAKE 1 posted:

TAKE 2 posted:

TAKE 3 posted:

: Good. Maybe we can see some action.
: We have to find that part and get to the lab.

Then we skip forward to Team Tails/Eggman finding their weapon part:

quote:

Oh hey a box!

: Even I am impressed by my craftsmanship!
: What did you find?
: With these parts, I can assemble a Massive Blast Egg-Cannon the likes of which has never been seen before! A masterpiece of modern engineering! With this weapon, no one can withstand our might!
: Now we're talking.

: I'm not sure that's exactly what we're looking for.
: I have a better idea!
: Why am I not surprised?

I'd just like to point out that for a character who is terrible in gameplay, I really love Rouge's dialogue. She's just so drat sassy.

Next we see Sonic hijack the airship.

quote:

Okay then, while the scientists get to work, let's see how the dread pirate Sonic is doing on his mission to hijack this airship.

: It shouldn't be hard to get to the bridge and take out the captain. Then we can fly this thing ourselves.

: No need to be rude!
: There's no time to be polite.
: Ugh. I think I'm getting seasick.
: Tails calling Sonic! Come in, Sonic!
: I'm here, Tails.
: We've got the parts and are building the weapon.
: Good. We're in the air now.
: Yay! Good luck, team! Tails out!

SNIP SNIP INSERT A MINIBOSS HERE

: Yay!
: All right!
: Hooray!
: Just what I've always wanted.
: Let's go get those Marauder losers!

Interestingly, if you have Shadow here, instead of Knuckles only "thinking" that the captain set off an alarm, Shadow is very definite about the subject, 'cause he knows his mutinies I guess.

Next, cut to Eggman on the ground after Sonic's ship starts crashing. This one's just Rouge being snarky again.

quote:

: I have attached our Beam Cannon to this old sky hopper I found. Never before has the world seen such a mighty weapon! Ha ha ha ha ha!
: Eggman, we have to help Sonic!
: What?!? Again?!?
: Is Sonic okay?!

: They can't get past the airship fleet. We need to sink those enemy ships from here!
: I knew it.

: Yes. Well. As always, I know just the thing!

: Of course, I never got a chance to use it, but I happen to know it's still there, and the Marauders have yet to discover it!
: Then we can use it to save Sonic!
: Yes. It isn't -- what was it -- "non-lethal"? But it will bring those ships down!

And that's it for now! Big sadly only has one real non-Hooray line when you put him in either party and it's not funny or anything, he just points out Ix and triggers that opening cutscene on Angel Island.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
So Rouge put all her stat points into speech and nothing else. :v:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Maybe she's a big fan of Planescape: Torment.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think I have an idea why we are so accepting of Amy hitting Sonic with a hammer and repulsed by the Lifetime Movie Dragon (heretofore known as LMD) is because Amy hitting Sonic with a giant hammer is clearly cartoon violence. The more exaggerated the more obvious it is that Sonic is just fine and we can laugh at a piece of classic slapstick. The less physically possible the better, Wil E Coyote breaking his legs isn't funny but becoming an accordian is, due to the former being physically possible and therefore relatable, while the latter is just gone too far to take seriously. If the violence is something like LMD being beaten by her boyfriend it is far too real. We know people who have been in these situations and therefore it feels more visceral and far less funny.

Other examples of lines that violence used for storytelling should not cross include battles between hero and villain, or battles resulting in heroes butting heads. In battles between hero and villain it is preferable to have a sense of fairness. Doctor Robotnik can never be seen to be kicking Tails around like a football because Tails is, for starters, like 8 years old, and it isn't any fun to watch besides. Make Tails, say, a gifted mechanic who can create mechs versatile enough to fight Robotnik's machinery, and suddenly even without Sonic's speed the battle becomes more interesting and satisfying, regardless of if Tails win's or loses. The important thing is both parties stand a fair chance, resulting in tension when the villain gets the upper hand or hope when the battle swings in the hero's favour.

Between heroes the fight should never come out of nowhere. Knuckles hitting Amy would come completely out of character, but a situation could easily get heated enough that the audience would understand why he would punch sonic. Also, taking things back to the former points of fairness, if the character's violence does come out of nowhere the recipient of the violence must be able to even the odds, or be able to control the escalation is needed. Knuckled slapping Amy for being hysterical would be lovely, but mitigated slightly bt Knuckles promptly being knocked through a thick wall by Amy's hammer, maybe with a pithy "Thanks, I needed that."

Sorry, that was a lot of words. I got invested in my point. :)

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Uh-huh...

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
You lost me at "Lifetime Movie Dragon".

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Dr. Buttass posted:

You lost me at "Lifetime Movie Dragon".

I believe he's referring to that... what's her name? Dulcie or something? Whatever, that one female dragon that gets beat by her boyfriend in the Sonic comics. And that conversation was a while ago, were they even meant to be portrayed as comedic?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No, it was meant to be dramatic and angsty.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I don't mind heavier topics in my talking funny animal cartoons, but they definitely become harder to pull off. The comics didn't shoulder that burden, by all accounts- at least not during the Penders period. Supposedly they managed to do so after his departure.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Bufuman posted:

the Sonic comics.

Speak of the devil. :getin:

Supplementary Update 8-2: Law and Order Special Hedgehog Unit -or- A lot of words not really about this game at all.

So here's a fun fact/bit of history about Sonic Chronicles. It got Sega and EA sued.

How so, you may ask? Well it has to do with a certain gang we've just met up with: Shade and the Nocturnus. Let's talk about them. From Bioware's codex:

quote:

The Nocturnus Clan are a nation of echidnas who lived in Sonic's world in ancient times. Led by the powerful chief Ix and bolstered by their highly advanced technology, the Nocturnus Clan very nearly conquered the ancient world. Only the Knuckles Clan, led by the powerful mystic Pachacamac, could stand in their way.

The Nocturnus Clan mysteriously disappeared 4000 years ago, just after Pachacamac tapped the Chaos Emeralds and the Knuckles Clan was destroyed by Perfect Chaos. Until recently, only legends survived of the powerful ancient echidna race that once nearly controlled the world, but recent events have revealed that the Nocturnus Clan has existed all along, locked away in an alternate dimension called the Twilight Cage.

Neat. Sounds interesting enough. Some people know where I'm going with this. I told you that story to tell you this one:

Sonic comics. They're one of the big elephants in the room of any conversation about Sonic games and the fandom that surrounds them. Primarily because man they are kinda nuts! And some of the people who read them are nuts too! I mean, they're like Patient Zero of half of the terrible fanart on DeviantArt (or maybe it was the cartoon, who can say). But we're not talking about them... specifically. See, we're gonna talk about one of the guys who wrote them: Ken Penders.

Ken Penders wrote the Sonic the Hedgehog comics for Archie Comics for 12 drat years. Wow. That'd be a long time even if he was writing with his original characters, but to be writing licensed characters? That's commitment to a brand right there. OR IS IT? See, Ken Penders is not a good writer. I won't go into the intricacies of how bad, if you want details, forums poster Onmi practically wrote a thesis in BSS's bad runs thread about it (you should read it, it's entertaining) on how bad he is. But notably, that "commitment to a brand" is less commitment to the Sonic brand and more commitment to his own ideas. Because Penders did Sonic Original Characters Do Not Steal before the internet made them cool something to be mocked. One of his concepts was that Knuckles was not the last echidna, like his game backstory says. See it turns out there was this whole other clan of echidnas trapped in another dimension, see? And eventually they crossed over to the "main" dimension and what do you know, eventually Knuckles had to fight a bunch of evil echidnas, and one girl defected and turned to the good guy side (and then became Knuckles' girlfriend but spoiler alert that doesn't happen in this game) Does any of this sound familiar? HUH? HUH?

Dare to compare: on the left, Knuckles' comic girlfriend Julie-Su, on the right, Shade.

By the way, did you know there's like no loving concept art of Shade anywhere on the internet? I mean holy poo poo, I can find hi-res images of the Tails Doll from Sonic R but for Shade I have to upscale a drat 192x133 image? Sorry, I digress...

So yeah, Penders sued EA and Sega for ripping off his ideas and making them into Shade and the Nocturnus. And honestly it sounds like he might have had a good case going, doesn't it? I mean, his villains were called the Dark Legion and this games title is literally Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Until you think about it and realize that "last hero discovers he isn't the last of his civilization" is a thing that's been done for years now. For example, Superman, "the last son of Krypton", has been finding out that other Kryptonians are still around since the '60s. Superman's wrestled with fighting evil guys with his powers from other dimensions in two different movies. Hell, Aquaman did the whole thing where you find a long-lost tribe of your people that hate you and marry one. I'm sure there are a bunch of other examples I can't think of off the top of my head. My point is, Knuckles' story is hardly breaking new ground. Regardless, none of that matters though because EA and Sega got off the hook when the courts threw out Penders' case, though not for the case being loving stupid like you'd think.

It was actually because of a legal technicality because when Penders sued Sega/EA, he was still in the middle of a lawsuit with his former bosses, Archie Comics, for the rights to all of the OCs, and courts wouldn't let him sue Sega/EA about copyright infringement when it wasn't even settled if he actually owned the characters. By the way, wondering how the "former" in "former bosses Archie Comics" came to be? See, Penders decided he was going to just up and write his own comic starring all of his OCs, Archie filed a cease and desist, and Penders quit and told them to gently caress off and he was gonna publish his comic anyway. By the way, these characters included such brilliant pieces of imagination as "Evil Sonic". Here's the crazy thing though, Penders loving won... kind of. Apparently, Archie Comics lost Penders' original contract which would have contained info concerning their rights to his creations in some office fire. They eventually reached an out-of-court settlement the terms of which haven't been publically disclosed (well, Penders has said a lot, like that Archie has to acknowledge that this one future storyline he wrote is the definitive end to the Sonic comic canon, but it should be pretty clear by now that Penders is nuts, so whether anything he says is true is shaky) but Archie basically ended it with "Fine, take your loving characters anyway, rear end in a top hat", then put the Sonic comics through what people familiar with the comics industry call a "soft reboot", where they wiped the slate clean of pretty much all the old continuity (conveniently including all of Penders' characters).

Epilogue: Archie Comics fired their entire legal team for bungling their case so bad and hired new people. Ken Penders is going through and writing his comic starring all of Knuckles' relatives while somehow writing around the fact that Knuckles isn't there. He has yet to file another claim against Sega/EA because the statute of limitations doesn't allow him to file a claim until Sega makes another game infringing on his "creations". Shade the Echidna and pretty much any concepts from Chronicles have yet to be reused in another Sonic game, and based on this game's sales, probably won't be again.

As of press time, Knuckles, the last son of Krypton Angel Island, had this to say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsC5fGfXip4&t=5s

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 20, 2014

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
The good news is that since the reboot dropped the massive meandering story and the morass of extra characters, it's actually pretty good and easy to get into. So if you're at all interested in reading it, that would be a good place to start.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

TwoPair posted:

He has yet to file another claim against Sega/EA because the statute of limitations doesn't allow him to file a claim until Sega makes another game infringing on his "creations". Shade the Echidna and pretty much any concepts from Chronicles have yet to be reused in another Sonic game, and based on this game's sales, probably won't be again.

They should totally throw Shade in another game the instant the SoL runs out, just as a final "gently caress you" to Penders. I'd buy it, and I don't even care about the comics. That kind of lack of writing ability (not to mention sanity) DESERVES to be punished.

EDIT: And now I just read the thing that Omni wrote that you linked to. Great loving drat. Forget mocking, the man almost deserves to be executed.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 20, 2014

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I'd actually just heard about the reboot thing, so its nice to have some actual background as to what the gently caress happened. From what I've seen of the Sonic Archie comics, "crazy" would definitely be a good way to describe it. Both in a good way and a bad way.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The only downside to the soft reboot was how Flynn was starting to spin Penders' garbage characters into something fun. Evil-Sonic's break from an interdimensional prison, and Sonic's nonstop ridicule of Evil Hyper Knuckles and by extension his whole backstory were both pretty great. Evil Sonic is a stupid idea for a character, but with the right execution you can make anything entertaining. Penders...well, Penders is Penders.

Anywho, I'm looking forward to seeing how this game ends. It looks like a hokey mess so far, but there's still a morbid curiosity to see it finish up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Shinjobi posted:

The only downside to the soft reboot was how Flynn was starting to spin Penders' garbage characters into something fun. Evil-Sonic's break from an interdimensional prison, and Sonic's nonstop ridicule of Evil Hyper Knuckles and by extension his whole backstory were both pretty great. Evil Sonic is a stupid idea for a character, but with the right execution you can make anything entertaining. Penders...well, Penders is Penders.

My particular favorite was when they visited this one group of side characters, who were talking about a former team member that turned traitor and subsequently turned into an absolute poo poo-for-brains. Right at that exact moment he comes back and reveals that actually he's just the king of his species or something, and his constituents all wanted to side with Eggman, so he had to cave to political pressure. He then deliberately sat around with his thumb up his rear end making bad decisions that hosed everything up for the Eggman Army.

Dr. Buttass fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 20, 2014

• Locked thread