Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Penders be bonkers. In actual fact the settlement was the best thing that could have happened to him, since any court resolution wouldn't work in his favor.

-If they ruled that he owned his original characters, and thus derivatives could be made of a work while legally owning them, that means Sonic Chronicles was in the exact same situation, derivatives of a work.

-If they ruled that he didn't own his original characters, well then he didn't own them and that was the end of that.

So a settlement was really in his best favor... you know after he blacklisted himself from the entire comics industry and proved himself to be utterly insane. So remember kids, you may be a gently caress up, but you're not a PENDERS gently caress up.

You're also not a Sonic Chronicles gently caress up, because man this game is just getting WORSE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Onmi posted:

So a settlement was really in his best favor... you know after he blacklisted himself from the entire comics industry and proved himself to be utterly insane. So remember kids, you may be a gently caress up, but you're not a PENDERS gently caress up.

The best part is that he's had to redesign all his characters so they're less obviously derivative works from Sega

So this

became this

followed by this thing happening.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Kurieg posted:

The best part is that he's had to redesign all his characters so they're less obviously derivative works from Sega

So this

became this

Oh, oh God. That looks like the embodiment of :byodame:.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Kurieg posted:

So this

became this

Oh hey, fresh nightmare material. Haven't had some in a while. Thanks, Penders.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Is that an actual thing he's published? Because holy poo poo, I have seen Deviantart stuff that looks better than that. This Penders creature is a gold mine and I'm loving every second of its insanity.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Is that an actual thing he's published? Because holy poo poo, I have seen Deviantart stuff that looks better than that. This Penders creature is a gold mine and I'm loving every second of its insanity.

To be fair to DeviantArt, actual bonafide professional artists put their stuff on it.

To be unfair to DeviantArt, people like Ken Penders put their stuff on it.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Penders is the font from which everything terrible about Sonic flows.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I was not aware that Penders was directly responsible for Sonic 2k6.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I would try to say he's indirectly responsible but then the only reason he got away with being Ken Penders for so long is because Sega wasn't paying any attention to him.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If anything sonic 2006 was the reason Penders got fired. They were trying to rebrand sonic with 2k6 as their big reboot, so they took a look at all the current sonic branding in November of 2005 to make sure it meshed with the "blue blur with attitude" image.

He was replaced 4 months later.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Kurieg posted:

If anything sonic 2006 was the reason Penders got fired. They were trying to rebrand sonic with 2k6 as their big reboot, so they took a look at all the current sonic branding in November of 2005 to make sure it meshed with the "blue blur with attitude" image.

He was replaced 4 months later.

"Way Past Cool" :allears:

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
So then Sonic '06 actually did some good in the world, is what you're saying.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Arcade Rabbit posted:

That's not the complete image, Penders updated it with the title.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dr. Buttass posted:

So then Sonic '06 actually did some good in the world, is what you're saying.

Well, this and the soundtrack, yes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Veotax posted:

That's not the complete image, Penders updated it with the title.

I know a graphic designer. I showed this to her and she wept.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
The NES boxart Megaman knockoff on the right is what's cracking me up the most.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

That's apparently the human astronaut who works with Lara-Su. See they're not Echidnas now, they're Echyd'nya.

quote:

Penders announced on his Twitter account that his characters were no longer echidna but Echyd'nya, an alien species. Penders stated reasons for the change was that he needed to make some adjustments to broaden the audience while making certain longtime fans get answers and resolution and because of the difficulty he has seen with people pronouncing the word echidna.

In what universe is Echyd'nya easier to pronounce?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
No wait, lemme guess: They gently caress. Penders wanted in on some of that Princess Elise action.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Kurieg posted:

In what universe is Echyd'nya easier to pronounce?

The universe Penders came from, obviously.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You mean the one he was banished from.

deadly mawk
Sep 7, 2010

The gently caress kind of pun is 'diva-isnous'? I can't think of any real words that even sort of resemble that.

Divisions? Devilishness? DuBois' Noose?

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

deadly mawk posted:

The gently caress kind of pun is 'diva-isnous'? I can't think of any real words that even sort of resemble that.

Divisions? Devilishness? DuBois' Noose?

I, too, would like to know this. Unless such knowledge would break my brain.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lord_Ventnor posted:

I, too, would like to know this. Unless such knowledge would break my brain.

Deviousness?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Deviousness?
Bingo.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Deviousness?

Could be, I mean she's supposed to be a villain. But she's a straight up, will enslave you all to achieve my goals, villain. I don't think she's ever been described as a diva. And she most definitely did not look like..that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Could be, I mean she's supposed to be a villain. But she's a straight up, will enslave you all to achieve my goals, villain. I don't think she's ever been described as a diva. And she most definitely did not look like..that.

That has a very simple explanation.

Penders is batshit insane.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

That has a very simple explanation.

Penders is batshit insane.

You have no idea.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I was happier with no idea.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/447468280945467392

Holy. poo poo. I am SO glad that this is all in his head, otherwise I'd be booking it to Canada right loving now. Imagine this guy in the government. I'd make a joke about how he'd be no more insane than anyone else there, but even sarcasm has its limits.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Wow. I never thought I'd see anyone nearly as nuts at the people who made a forum where they literally worship Sonic the Hedgehog as if he's a god and a real person. The girl who runs the site insists that they're married and that she'd kill herself if Sonic asked her to.

Here's a brief sample of the craziness that occurs on said website. (NSFW Warning.)

What is it about anthropomorphic hedgehogs that bring out the crazy side of people?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 22, 2014

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wow. I never thought I'd see anyone nearly as nuts at the people who made a forum where they literally worship Sonic the Hedgehog as if he's a god and a real person. The girl who runs the site insists that they're married and that she'd kill herself if Sonic asked her to.

Here's a brief sample of the craziness that occurs on said website. (NSFW Warning.)

What is it about anthropomorphic hedgehogs that bring out the crazy side of people?

Uh i don't think you can blame this one on Sonic as she sounds like someone who could have obsessed over any famous person or well know character, she is just plain crszy.

As for others? Some are mentally children, autistic, too nostalgic or creepy.

Well i'm the kinda guy tht thought every main Sonic Game until '06 were fun so take my word with a grain of salt.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't know but frankly I love it. Doing this LP (mainly just that last part) has forced me to stare further into the abyss then I planned but there is some hilarious stuff buried among the insanity.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I don't know but frankly I love it. Doing this LP (mainly just that last part) has forced me to stare further into the abyss then I planned but there is some hilarious stuff buried among the insanity.

a masterpiece of literature posted:

Obama chuckled. "You mean the Chaos Emeralds?"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I will die in my sleep smiling tonight. Thank you, everyone. There's something terrifying, yet strangely fascinating about the stuff you find this deep down the rabbit hole.:allears:

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

I won't go into the intricacies of how bad, if you want details, forums poster Onmi practically wrote a thesis in BSS's bad runs thread about it (you should read it, it's entertaining) on how bad he is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsC5fGfXip4&t=5s

I've seen that "It is our destiny" pane floating around before but I had no idea how crazy the back-story to it was. Or that it was Tales. That was a great read.

So why did he move from a drawn style to renderings? As bad as his art was before, the renderings are so much worse.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Chuu posted:

I've seen that "It is our destiny" pane floating around before but I had no idea how crazy the back-story to it was. Or that it was Tales. That was a great read.

So why did he move from a drawn style to renderings? As bad as his art was before, the renderings are so much worse.

Because he wants to do a movie, video game or whatever strike the fancy of his insane mind what he wants to do change every week..

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Finally got a chance to check that link.

I remember seeing Titan Tails before, but I didn't know where he was from. And the explanation for how Tails ended up like that is certainly... yeah.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Chuu posted:

Because people have moved on from comics. You see he was the only thing keeping the sonic comic alive (you're welcome by the way) so he's got a CG artist tapped to make the new stuff for his new comic.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Finally got a chance to check that link.

I remember seeing Titan Tails before, but I didn't know where he was from. And the explanation for how Tails ended up like that is certainly... yeah.

One of Flynn's great accomplishments is taking the gigantic pile of characters and plot tumors that was left to him by Penders and making a cohesive whole in which everyone is at least moderately relevant. But then Penders threw a fit so they had to retcon everything. Thankfully Capcom was on hand to lend the Megaman franchise while they figured out what the gently caress they were doing.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 23, 2014

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Kurieg posted:

Because people have moved on from comics. You see he was the only thing keeping the sonic comic alive (you're welcome by the way) so he's got a CG artist tapped to make the new stuff for his new comic.

One of Flynn's great accomplishments is taking the gigantic pile of characters and plot tumors that was left to him by Penders and making a cohesive whole in which everyone is at least moderately relevant. But then Penders threw a fit so they had to retcon everything. Thankfully Capcom was on hand to lend the Megaman franchise while they figured out what the gently caress they were doing.

The Sonic comic is alive and better than it has been in years, better than the games right now :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Chuu posted:

Penders is just a "writer". He doesn't have any artistic ability.

• Locked thread